Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
56,001 - 56,020 of 224,087 Comments Last updated 30 min ago

“You have blue shoes”

Since: Mar 11

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>...HFY, preciousness, I understand your position but until the world can be unequivocally told, this is were we come from and this is how it happened, you should not be so "cocksure". The humiliation back in 97 with respect to neanderthal should have been a lesson. Things may evolve but, they had a begining.
I'm sorry, I don't follow.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>...I fault you somewhat because you claim dyslexia for your inverted letters , but they were misspelled? Im glad you are now shining and not shinning as before. Also, Response has you bent over a barrel, notwithstanding your claims, you dont know where we come from or how we came to be, you can only guess. Your dogma was repudiated in 97 with respect to neanderthal.
You don't have any idea of what you are talking about...

Once again read some of this web page

http://www.talkorigins.org

Or simply stay ignorant and talk like you think you know what others think you are right. But I would say 90% that read these post and never comment can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Keep up the good work you are a good ambasasor for the proof of evoloution.

Austin, Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>... Hypocrite, as a lonely divorced douche with a chip, you do know that your 55 thousand plus hate posts can and will be used against you?
Once again a well thought out argument from Bongo. Thanks for making our points for us.

“You have blue shoes”

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
When I read it, I first skipped down to the links used a references. Discarding the dead links, the rest were either in Italian, were news items from TV stations or newspapers, or were journal articles that talked about ERVs but did not support the thrust of the Sword and Shield article.
The opening page of SwordandShield.biz reads as follows:
Jeffrey D. Mason is an honor role graduate from the Atwood Institute for Research and Education in Phoenix, Arizona,(1991) and honor role graduate from The American Institute of Health Technology in Boise, Idaho (2000). He is also a Master Medical herbalist and has taught and lectured on the subjects of alternative health on and off for more than 20 years. He has been a professional fellow of the following scientific associations: The National Association for Transpersonal Psychology (1991-1993), The American Board of Hypnotherapy (1999-2001), The International Association of Counselors and Therapists (1998-2000) He has been published in numerous newspapers, magazines and periodicals in the course of his career including The Advocate, The Kelso Tribune, The Boise Statesmen, Couer Magazine, Hedra Megazine, Unlimited Human Magazine, and has been feature interviewed on KBCI Channel 2 news affiliate of CBS Broadcasting network in Boise Idaho; and in the Idaho Statesman, Idaho’s larges Newspaper and the Boise Weekly. Jeff Mason is also the author of The Vine Rhyme Herbal, a book on folkloric and medicinal uses of plants. He is the father of eight children and has two grandchildren. Mr. Mason currently resides in Boise Idaho with his wife, Shana and two of his children.
That's an interesting CV, but hardly that of anyone qualified to write authoritatively on ERVs and their relation to evolution. Mason is much more at home writing about herb lore, his real area of expertise. He's written a book that looks really cool: The Vine Rhyme Herbal, about which one reviewer wrote:
"The Vine Rhyme Herbal, written and compiled by Jeffrey D. Mason, Master Herbalist, is a masterpiece of poetic enchantment. In the book you will find an electric infusion of legend, myth, magic and medicine as never before presented in the history of herbals. It is an artistic and skillfully crafted record of over 128 plants and other agents for use in magic and medicine. A divinely inspired and fascinating book that promises to transport the reader into a far distant time and place, where legend is king and magic abounds. Truly, the Vine Rhyme Herbal offers a modern scientific understanding of healing plants with all of the rustic charm of legend, myth and magic written in poetic form with delightfully magnificent illustrations of every herb from field to garden. This book is guaranteed to leave the reader with the feel one would expect, had they unearthed and ancient script of magic and medicine, covered in cobwebs and the collection of the millennial dusts of antiquity."
He's obviously a good writer--the article on ERVs at SaS may be flawed, but it is superbly written. It's a perfect example of the human condition--we tend to be very good at within our areas of expertise, but can be as clueless and anyone else out side of them. Just like me. You too?
hahaha, that is too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

As for your last question: we are all ignorant. There's no escaping that. No matter how much we know, there will always be more that we don't know. No matter how much I read, there are always more books to read - and people who've read them!

Going through my reading lists has been a humbling experience. You think you know something...but then someone else explains the history a little more and it's ridiculously complex. In the social sciences, much good writing and research can get buried with the passage of time. Then scientists who are more obsessive go through these histories and point out that previous scientists have already explained what we are explaining now. Humbling.

Austin, Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>this just shows how ignorant you choose to be
like is said, the toe has nothing to do with abiogenesis. it has to do with biogenesis. you are deliberately being dull-witted. that's your tactic at every turn. you have nothing. you haven't shown that you have even the most basic understanding of biology, anthropology or any other ology except christian apologetics from where you take your information.
on top of that, you can't debate the subject without copy/pasting from christian apologetics sites. you never are able to explain any of it without someone else's words. when that doesn't work, you turn to insulting those who have tried to teach you so that you will not look so ignorant. if that doesn't work, you outright attack people.
no one here takes you seriously except the other mentally challenged fundies.
you're in the first stages of another meltdown. make our saturday interesting and go full blown. i know it's probably wrong for me to enjoy seeing you in a full blown meltdown, but i can't help myself.
thank you for participating. you're adorable.
Beatutifl and very apt post.

Austin, Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Bongo will probably find this interesting as well:
http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/conten...
Petrified wood is usually fully mineralized, so the DNA is no longer recoverable. But other plant fossils do contain some recoverable DNA, and it is being analyzed to shed light on the evolution of plant species. For a wide range of this sort of research, google the phrase "molecular paleontology."
Nice source. However, you and I know Bongo will not read anything from one of us that believe in science. It may destroy his cosmic view of the the universe and then he will think he is noting special. AS a Christian he believes in his mind he has it made. Me I'm too curious what happens after death. I was Hindu for many years as it made a lot of sense to me but now I'm an Agnostic/Hindu, which is actually allowed following the "Path of the great masters". In this sect you can even keep your old religion. I don't follow it because of Pascal's Wager, It is just a nice way to follow.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

wolverine wrote:
Bob, Do You Ever Shut Up ?
Many Wont Bother Posting With Your Dominance Of The Tread....Really, Were All Tired Of Your Bigotry ...
Bring it, godbot-- bring your hate, bring your would-be violence.

You know where I am-- so bring it on.

I'm waiting.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have any idea of what you are talking about...
Once again read some of this web page
http://www.talkorigins.org
Or simply stay ignorant and talk like you think you know what others think you are right. But I would say 90% that read these post and never comment can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Keep up the good work you are a good ambasasor for the proof of evoloution.
bongo bob blah blah alien is a good ambassador of the filthy and sociopathic minds of fundies. and he helps kill off his religion with every post. it's adorable.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>can you give me a link to that? sociopaths are often secretive, but he seems to be out in the open with his threats of violence and murder.
Different thread, I mostly do not bother to remember which thread is which, so, sorry-- I don't have a link.

But I can probably goad him to repeating it here. Watch.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>you have to wonder just how many sock puppets bob blah blah has. you know, the bob blah blah who was leaving the country and not going to be able to post.
he's just posting as his sock puppets. he's not gone anywhere.
Yep.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Good Grief, paranoia is so irrational.

Since: Oct 11

Union, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

I think someone got Atheist confused with Darwinism. Atheist by definition, is the disbelief of any God or faith. Darwinism or Evolutionist, may not believe in a God but do have faith in scientific theory which, unlike religion, requires evidence for the bases for the belief.

Atheism- No belief in any God or faith.
Darwinism- Faith by scientific evidence.
Religion- Faith with no evidence or logical reasoning.

The question seems to be one made out of ignorance.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

Freebird USA wrote:
They Are Laughable....They Threaten Then Report....LOL

Sissys That Couldnt Wipe Their Own Azzes....Bobs Family Is The Ones I Feel Sorry For....They Gotta Put Up With His Nonsense 24/7

“You have blue shoes”

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Freebird USA wrote:
That's sort of part of the definition.

“You have blue shoes”

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Confession wrote:
I think someone got Atheist confused with Darwinism. Atheist by definition, is the disbelief of any God or faith. Darwinism or Evolutionist, may not believe in a God but do have faith in scientific theory which, unlike religion, requires evidence for the bases for the belief.
Atheism- No belief in any God or faith.
Darwinism- Faith by scientific evidence.
Religion- Faith with no evidence or logical reasoning.
The question seems to be one made out of ignorance.
And what about understanding scientific methods of producing knowledge is faith based?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That's sort of part of the definition.
Yes well at least somebody got it,sort of.

Since: Oct 11

Union, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about understanding scientific methods of producing knowledge is faith based?
Are you to be under the impression that all Atheist believe everything science says?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
They Are Laughable....They Threaten Then Report....LOL
Sissys That Couldnt Wipe Their Own Azzes....Bobs Family Is The Ones I Feel Sorry For....They Gotta Put Up With His Nonsense 24/7
christian circle jerk

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

Confession wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you to be under the impression that all Atheist believe everything science says?
skepticism is good. that includes everything. just my opinion, tho.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2011

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> christian circle jerk
Nobodys Talking To You Granny...Put A Sock In It.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr DonPanic 21,384
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr religionisillness 361
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 11 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 11 hr Patrick 3
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Patrick 1,285
•••
•••