Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255972 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236596 Sep 11, 2014
Well,'spiritual leader'(a double oxymoron) has bailed.

Isn't there a single 'rational atheist' oxymoron who can answer the challenge?

This isn't complicated, I simply asked how the recently understood details of the big bang theory confirm what the Bible noted thousands of years ago. How did they get in there?
Genesis 1:1-5 (NASB)
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Here we have science confirming what the very first verse of the Bible states: There was a specific moment when the heavens and earth were created.
Interestingly, the article YOU referenced noted that there are likely additional universes in existence, something also predated by the Bible speaking of Heaven and Hell.
2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
This verse notes that initially the earth was without form. Wow, NAILED that fact!
But get this! It notes two even more profound facts:
~The three most common elements are Helium, Nitrogen and Oxygen. "The Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters."
~"Darkness was over the surface of the deep." The article notes that light was restrained for hundreds of thousands of years!
"For the first 380,000 years or so, the universe was essentially too hot for light to shine. The heat of creation smashed atoms together with enough force to break them up into a dense plasma, an opaque soup of protons, neutrons and electrons that scattered light like fog."
3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
If you can't explain this, then simply say so, but I really expected a 'new age spiritual LEADER' to have a better grip on this...
Oh, something to think about down the road. The article notes the possibility that the universe could one day RETRACT! Something the Bible already noted...
http://www.space.com/52-the-expanding-univers ...

Smile.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#236597 Sep 11, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...You , have been reported to the " topix " moderators ..
What's wrong with you ..?!
You , don't think ...I , have feelings ...?
..for ..shame..!
Simple Simon is back.
:-)

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236598 Sep 11, 2014
Thinking wrote:
When did religious bullshitters Evolve?
<quoted text>
They've been with us since the caveman days, I should think. Certainly pre-Xian, they BSed about the pagan gods around back then.

"A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side."
- Aristotle

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/ar...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236599 Sep 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless it's digital.
Nice to see you back.
Patrick

United States

#236600 Sep 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. So why did you lie about censoring it?
2. The fact is, your post was a straw man argument. You avoided the logic of what I posted and postulated a stupid substitution in a vain attempt to shift the focus.
3. Your posts are nothing like my posts. You chose to respond to my post and then bailed when it was clear you have no rational response.
Classic 'rational atheist' oxymoron deceit and denial.
Smile.
Classic "KiMare" Egocentrism ?

Mellow out with some coffee

Chocolate Coffee Biscuit Brown

Chocolate coffee biscuit brown
See the dusky girl in town
Coffee mocha honey skin
Amber eyes are full of sin.

Black is dark and white is light
In between for just one night
Precious saffron taste of wine
Violet scented rose divine

Guilty pleasure, bittersweet
Enchanted eve where to worlds meet
Morning sunlight shining through
Door was open no-one knew.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#236601 Sep 11, 2014
Dragnet52 wrote:
<quoted text>All the scientific progress made by humanity is despite of religion and not because of religion.
..and , yet ..It was the Christian ' Missionaries '....who , built the schools in your country ....

...you' re , intelligent ...BECAUSE...of Religion ..

Las Vegas, NV

#236602 Sep 11, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple Simon is back.
:-)
...May ..I "plagiarize " from ..."Aerobatty"..?

....FART...!....( smile )

Las Vegas, NV

#236603 Sep 11, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
LOLOLOL
Beagle boy ,,youre losing it
Adam and biBULL is all MYTHO L O G Y !!!!
..Fart..

Smile..?

Las Vegas, NV

#236604 Sep 11, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true, it was different in earlier generations. In those days it was even criminal activity.
Personally I don't see what everyone's problem is - with another's private life. Then again, I'm not a bigoted funny-mentalist.
..Fart ...?

yea.....FART..!

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236605 Sep 11, 2014
May I offer some charcoal tablets?

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236606 Sep 11, 2014
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware"
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny"
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Simple Simon went a-fishing for to catch a whale;
All the water he had got was in his mother's pail.
Simple Simon went to look if plums grew on a thistle;
He pricked his fingers very much which made poor Simon whistle.
He went for water in a sieve but soon it all fell through;
And now poor Simple Simon bids you all "Adieu"

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/simple_simon.htm

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#236607 Sep 11, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..and , yet ..It was the Christian ' Missionaries '....who , built the schools in your country ....
...you' re , intelligent ...BECAUSE...of Religion ..
I can only laugh at your naivety. Christian Missionaries may have built schools and disseminated secular education, but how does that support your argument that religion is responsible for all the advances in scientific knowledge? Show me a direct correspondence between Christian religious scriptures and the inculcation of scientific temperament and spirit of inquiry. You must not forget how Galileo was harassed by the church. Christian Missionaries use secular education to give themselves a facade of respectability.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#236608 Sep 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Well,'spiritual leader'(a double oxymoron) has bailed.
Isn't there a single 'rational atheist' oxymoron who can answer the challenge?
This isn't complicated, I simply asked how the recently understood details of the big bang theory confirm what the Bible noted thousands of years ago. How did they get in there?
Here we have science confirming what the very first verse of the Bible states: There was a specific moment when the heavens and earth were created.
Interestingly, the article YOU referenced noted that there are likely additional universes in existence, something also predated by the Bible speaking of Heaven and Hell.
2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
This verse notes that initially the earth was without form. Wow, NAILED that fact!
~The three most common elements are Helium, Nitrogen and Oxygen. "The Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters."
~"Darkness was over the surface of the deep." The article notes that light was restrained for hundreds of thousands of years!
"For the first 380,000 years or so, the universe was essentially too hot for light to shine. The heat of creation smashed atoms together with enough force to break them up into a dense plasma, an opaque soup of protons, neutrons and electrons that scattered light like fog."
4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
If you can't explain this, then simply say so, but I really expected a 'new age spiritual LEADER' to have a better grip on this...
Oh, something to think about down the road. The article notes the possibility that the universe could one day RETRACT! Something the Bible already noted...
http://www.space.com/52-the-expanding-univers ...
Smile.
NASL is the kind of "leader" that has no followers!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#236609 Sep 11, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the oldest profession?
It’s not prostitution as many may profess. It’s actually being a Zoologist.
Adam in the book of Genesis was the first scientist ever and he was a Zoologist by profession. He was given the task of naming the animals on the Earth. God created the first scientist and he was Adam.
In that case the present humanity seems to be in a state of involution. Imagine Adam having this superhuman ability to name all the animal species within a single day!!! I don't want to sound harsh, but even by the standards of fairy tales this one sounds far fetched.
Richardfs

Colyton, Australia

#236610 Sep 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You are so dumbfounded, you are confusing yourself.
Smile.
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, you must have missed the rest of my post...
Smile.
Humm, I am betting you never studied Physics.
BTW If your religion is correct then why is 32,000+ gods, 38,000+ versions of christianity, 30-40 different versions of the bibull and 4 billion Hindi gods.
If one were to recite the name of all the gods at one second interval it would take 285 years without sleep?
How much research did you do to pick your 'god'? Not much I would say.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#236611 Sep 12, 2014
Yes. A digital clock presents digits not hands. But not all displays disappear when you remove their power source - such as this mechanical digital clock.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

So a broken digital clock may still be right twice a day if its display is non-volatile. Raise your game. The right catch all would be, "Even a broken clock may be right twice a day."

"May" covers everything, including mechanical digital clocks or an analogue clock that has lost its hands, etc.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You understand the difference between analog and digital?
Bubba, when a digital clock is broken it won't even turn on.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#236612 Sep 12, 2014
Tony Blair was told by his spin doctor "we don't do god". Quoting christianity has turned into a vote loser over here, but is still very popular with over 70s, who have a high chance of voting compared to the young.
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
They've been with us since the caveman days, I should think. Certainly pre-Xian, they BSed about the pagan gods around back then.
"A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side."
- Aristotle
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/ar...

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236613 Sep 12, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Humm, I am betting you never studied Physics.
BTW If your religion is correct then why is 32,000+ gods, 38,000+ versions of christianity, 30-40 different versions of the bibull and 4 billion Hindi gods.
If one were to recite the name of all the gods at one second interval it would take 285 years without sleep?
How much research did you do to pick your 'god'? Not much I would say.
"Darkness was over the face of the deep," and then a moment when light appeared. Just what the quote describes. Meanwhile, you make a personal assault as if that defends your position...

Then you stop addressing my points and shift to a straw man.

Do you have an explanation for the accuracy of the Bible account or not? It appears you would rather debate faith than fact.

SMile.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#236614 Sep 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And the verse notes exactly that The ELEMENTS of the earth were formed. "The earth was without shape and void"
Smile idiot.
How does that phrase constitute the elements of earth? Where are the elements listed? Besides the earth even in early formation had a shape. And it also said darkness was over the deep. Now you have an ocean that god was hovering over and earth did not start its life with a ocean that covered it. The bible has all of that completely wrong. Plus the fact that there was no sun. That is also wrong.

The bible put everything in the backward order. The bible is not a science book.

If god scattered people for building the tower of Bable because they were building it high enough to touch the heavens, why didn't he pitch a fit when we sent the first man in space?

The bible is not a science book.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#236615 Sep 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does an Astronomer have to have a University degree to do Astronomy? There are thousands of armature Astronomers and some have even made some rather interesting discoveries.
The Wright Brothers whom we have discussed here before were scientist. How could they not be? They were credited with building and flying the first airplane. In their regular jobs they were bicycle mechanics. But these two brothers were also scientist who gave birth to aeronautics.
What the heck does that have to do with earth not being on the radar until the universe was 10 billion years old? Or the fact that earth was not formed before the sun? Or that Adam (the imaginary zoologist) was some sort of scientist because he gave something a name?

Your lack of a knowledge of any science at all really shows up in this type of argument.

The bible is not a science book.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 min Mikko 3,751
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min Into The Night 16,019
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min replaytime 40,561
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 28 min IB DaMann 238
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 hr Thinking 4,665
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 4 hr Thinking 12
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Thinking 24,074
More from around the web