Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#236193 Sep 4, 2014
?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why those UK cops carry those big night sticks and walk in pairs. One would cave in your head if need be and the other standing by as an auxiliary back up. Just in case your woman wanted to try and hit the nuclear option.
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#236194 Sep 4, 2014
You don't understand the dance. Our police are experts in both giving and receiving sarcasm. e.g. you get pulled for speeding and they may ask, "Having difficulty taking off, Squadron Leader?". Most can take a joke. It's a bit of a game and very few people get hurt by UK police.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you Brits stand there in the middle of street daring your cops to hit you anyway? You know they freaking mean business and they are going to bash your head in if you don’t do what they say.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#236195 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
But the bible telling of your sodom and gomorrah story says child rape is OK.
Another reason why a book written by goat bothers over two thousand years ago should not be venerated today.
<quoted text>
It never has said that anywhere in the Bible.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#236196 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You don't understand the dance. Our police are experts in both giving and receiving sarcasm. e.g. you get pulled for speeding and they may ask, "Having difficulty taking off, Squadron Leader?". Most can take a joke. It's a bit of a game and very few people get hurt by UK police.
<quoted text>
Those UK cops and their night sticks have kind of history.

I give you a hard time a lot but the truth is I have UK roots.

My family came over in the 1800’s. One of your towns has the same name as my last name. We picked up genetic traits that came from the ole land such as our temper. We have this bit of a temper of being hot headed and too quick to get in a ole fist fight.

Ahhhh the days of our youth.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#236197 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Another reason why a book written by goat bothers over two thousand years ago should not be venerated today.
<quoted text>
NEVER does the Bible condone rape in any way, shape or form!

why do antichristians always mistake the documented accounts of mankinds failures as God condoning them?! you do so only to your own demise:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236198 Sep 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah! the one who goes by "Thinking" has only stinking-thinking!;-)
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#236199 Sep 4, 2014
Don't you christards ever read your bible?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
NEVER does the Bible condone rape in any way, shape or form!
why do antichristians always mistake the documented accounts of mankinds failures as God condoning them?! you do so only to your own demise:-)
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#236200 Sep 4, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah! the one who goes by "Thinking" has only stinking-thinking!;-)
A lot of times there’s a story behind each one of these Atheist. Some are very careful not to tell that story. And “Thinking” has a story that he hasn’t told us. There’s a bitterness behind a lot of his post. Which indicates to me there is something in his past that has made him bitter.

But I promise you there’s a lovable human being there. It’s just he has his force field up.
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#236201 Sep 4, 2014
It's commanded (not back documented) in Deuteronomy 20:10-14
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#236202 Sep 4, 2014
discocrisco wrote:
Maybe, the Christians got it right on the God thing. What they didn't know that is there is intelligent life right and God manifested himself in another way than us.
And there is millions of our civilizations among this universe and millions of ways God revealed himslf to them
But see it was none of business to know how he did it. It is beyond our feeble little minds. Us humans think we are terminally unique. Guess what. We are not. We are little specks in the infinite, large cosmos.
no wonder some folks give you negative judge its. their egos can't stand not being special. they want this planet to be special, man to be special, men (usually men are the egotistical ones) of one race or ethnicity or religion to be most special of all - and themselves among the chosen of their chosen kind. we have no idea about the reality of a God or gods. Not knowing is perfectly acceptable as an intellgent approach. Beyond that, if people believe this or that, their beliefs should be judged partly by their seeming reasonableness, and even more by what kind of ethical behavior they lead to. If a belief leads to intelligent, informed kindness to other living beings, that is at least a good thing.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#236203 Sep 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of times there’s a story behind each one of these Atheist. Some are very careful not to tell that story. And “Thinking” has a story that he hasn’t told us. There’s a bitterness behind a lot of his post. Which indicates to me there is something in his past that has made him bitter.
But I promise you there’s a lovable human being there. It’s just he has his force field up.
There is a story behind each believer too. Everyone has his or her own life experience. Some atheists may have been raised in a particularly nasty oppressive religion, and may resent both the way they were treated and the way they were fooled into believing something evil. Other atheists were raised as atheists or agnostics, and did not have to fight free from superstition and repression. Anyone with any rational habits should begin as an agnostic in attitude, and not insist that he or she knows the truth. Then one can adopt one belief or another, or no religion at all, and not be a nasty person forcing his views on others. What matters is ethics anyway. Being kind to other living beings is what counts, not theology. People who emphasize theology may be looking for a way to get away with being bad persons in their behavior. Good people do not need to believe in theological dogmas. It is bad people who want to believe they are "saved" by their faith.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#236204 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
It's commanded (not back documented) in Deuteronomy 20:10-14
<quoted text>
I like your name. I assume that you are claiming to be a rational person. Does that mean that you are a type of skeptical, agnostic atheist? Does it mean that you value ethical behavior over belief systems? I prefer discussions with other thinkers rather than with the superstitious types.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#236205 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Don't you christards ever read your bible?
<quoted text>
I do object to the term christards however. If they are extreme rightwingers, I think the term christo-fascists would be more appropriate. Even if you think they are more stupid than evil, I find the use of a version of the term retarded to be unpleasant. Luckily the word retarded is being replaced by kinder terms. Indoctrination is unfortunately alive and well among Christians as it is among many other religious and ideologically dogmatic groups.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#236206 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they treated their sheep better than they treated their goats. But don't blame the shepherds. Blame the con artists who figured out ways not to work by calling themselves prophets and priests.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236207 Sep 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
very very true, bro! don't we all have stories tho?! some of us repent and call on God through our problems while others choose to shake their fists and blame Him instead.

i have trouble with being gracious to haters on these annonymous forums, but i certainly appreciate the bros & sis who maintain:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236208 Sep 4, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a story behind each believer too. Everyone has his or her own life experience. Some atheists may have been raised in a particularly nasty oppressive religion, and may resent both the way they were treated and the way they were fooled into believing something evil. Other atheists were raised as atheists or agnostics, and did not have to fight free from superstition and repression. Anyone with any rational habits should begin as an agnostic in attitude, and not insist that he or she knows the truth. Then one can adopt one belief or another, or no religion at all, and not be a nasty person forcing his views on others. What matters is ethics anyway. Being kind to other living beings is what counts, not theology. People who emphasize theology may be looking for a way to get away with being bad persons in their behavior. Good people do not need to believe in theological dogmas. It is bad people who want to believe they are "saved" by their faith.
say what you will, but you'll never be justified for putting your hang-down in another mans stanky thang!;-)

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236209 Sep 4, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm very truthful.....I find being honest - although it can hurt at times, is the best mode of speech to take. So you are wrong again, with me not being truthful.
WOW!!
- "since many atheists on here are gays."
When you project - you really kick it off good, huh?
Citation please. Maybe some quotes by the Atheists will help support your claim.
I doubt there are many gay Atheists on this forum. That would be reaching.
Now you lie about being honest.

I know many of the posters here from other sites.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236210 Sep 4, 2014
Wrong room - that would be "Prove there's a God" forum - two doors down, hang a left. You will find it in the "Top Stories" heading.
<quoted text>
I thought pointing the poster in the right direction was helpful.
BS. Another lie.

SMile.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#236211 Sep 4, 2014

I'm very truthful.....I find being honest - although it can hurt at times, is the best mode of speech to take. So you are wrong again, with me not being truthful.
WOW!!
- "since many atheists on here are gays."
When you project - you really kick it off good, huh?
Citation please. Maybe some quotes by the Atheists will help support your claim.
I doubt there are many gay Atheists on this forum. That would be reaching.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you lie about being honest.
I know many of the posters here from other sites.
Smile.
Still avoiding to answer the questions I pose.

Face KM - you aren't very good at dialogue in a debate forum.

Oh well....carry on.
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#236212 Sep 4, 2014
I don't regard all christians as christards. Most christians do not lie about the evidence for Evolution, nor conflate their creation belief (i.e. how things got started) with Evolution (how things evolved, whatever your creation standpoint).

I also often see terms I object to but I do not censor others unless they are advocating violence.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
I do object to the term christards however. If they are extreme rightwingers, I think the term christo-fascists would be more appropriate. Even if you think they are more stupid than evil, I find the use of a version of the term retarded to be unpleasant. Luckily the word retarded is being replaced by kinder terms. Indoctrination is unfortunately alive and well among Christians as it is among many other religious and ideologically dogmatic groups.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 min Igor Trip 23,242
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr Even Steven 2,607
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr Richardfs 166
God' existence 7 hr polymath257 84
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 11 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr Mikko 1,452
Evidence for God! 12 hr Morse 369
More from around the web