Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255292 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236461 Sep 8, 2014
hpcaban wrote:
<quoted text>
Just exactly what was it that the Bible got right? Please, expound.
1) For starters the Bible promoted a healthy low fat diet. That was thousands of years before it was known that high triglycerides and cholesterol promotes heart disease.
2) Secondly Hygiene for infection control. This was long before microbiology became known to mankind.
3) Third, quarantines for dangerous diseases. Which in fact is still being used today in the case of Ebola virus.
4) Thou shalt not steal. That law is still valid just as it was thousands of years ago.
5) Thou shalt not kill. Meaning murdering your fellow neighbor. Partner if murder was legal you would not be walking on the face of the earth.
6) Honoring your father and mother. Is that so bad to give respect to the people that raised you? Do you think the Bible got that wrong?
7) What you reap you sow. That means if you are a heathen breaking every law known to man you are going to reap what you sown. It was valid thousands of years ago and it still valid today.
8) The Castle Doctrine- A law that allows for one to defend his home.
These are just a few the Bible got right.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236462 Sep 8, 2014
I don't believe you can prove the horseshoe crab's DNA hasn't changed in 500 million years.
Come on, bring some peer reviewed evidence to the table.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you see any horseshoe crabs operating any fishing boats? Like one of them being the captain?
This animal hasn’t changed in 500 million years.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236463 Sep 8, 2014
No.
For the first time in recorded history, over half of our young adults have no religion.
So non belief is growing far quicker than islam in the UK.
Religion is dying of old age over here.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly, you are exchanging Christianity for Islam.
Smart!
LOL
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236464 Sep 8, 2014
More like 5 hours. I flew on Concorde in 2003 but that's not an option anymore.

:(
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s been a innumerable number of atrocities over the centuries to many people because of intolerant bigots. Some are occurring right now not that far from where you live. And in history many of those atrocities were done to Jews and Christians in Europe.
In 2 hours via jet aircraft you could be right smack in the middle of a war zone where atrocities are occurring right this very minute to Christians, Jews, and Muslims.
I didn’t have anything to do with burning of witches. I’m a former fire fighter and I have been burned in an aviation fire. I wouldn’t want to see anyone get burned alive including witches. I’m not denying atrocities occurred throughout history. But it’s asinine to think it hasn’t happened to Christians and Jews because it has happened in far greater numbers.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236465 Sep 8, 2014
But your religion doesn't work without the threat of hell so maybe your god made him that way.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are partly right. The devil is retarded because he could still be sucking on margaritas in heaven if it wasn’t because he was so da*n stupid.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236466 Sep 8, 2014
You do know what descendants are, right?

Are you Ouroboros?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s why my descendants left the UK.
The Kings religion, and dingy dirty rat infested castles su*ked.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236467 Sep 8, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible - vague and inconsistent
Science - specific and has continuity
Genesis 1:1
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
- this is very general and not very telling of how things came to be.
- When any universal object comes into existence - it is usually "formless" and then takes upon a form as years and centuries go by. According to how planets and other universal bodies of matter are created - dust and matter will continue to be attracted to and encircle a magnetic point until eventually, the matter and debris are pulled together with quantum particles.
- Nothing like that here. You are wrong.
Science and the Big Bang:
- although still considered a theory - it does contain many missing facts that the Bible does not hold, and/or suggest to be true.
Again - you are incorrect in your supposed belief.
"Big Bang Theory - Common Misconceptions
There are many misconceptions surrounding the Big Bang theory. For example, we tend to imagine a giant explosion. Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.
Another misconception is that we tend to image the singularity as a little fireball appearing somewhere in space. According to the many experts however, space didn't exist prior to the Big Bang. Back in the late '60s and early '70s, when men first walked upon the moon, "three British astrophysicists, Steven Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose turned their attention to the Theory of Relativity and its implications regarding our notions of time. In 1968 and 1970, they published papers in which they extended Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to include measurements of time and space.1, 2 According to their calculations, time and space had a finite beginning that corresponded to the origin of matter and energy."3 The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time it didn't exist and neither did we."
http://www.big-bang-theory.com/
Science has continuity is that right? How about three cheers for science!

How about you explain these nuclear accidents that have occurred in the last 50 years.

2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

2001 Instituto Oncologico Nacional radiotherapy accident

1996 San Juan de Dios radiotherapy accident

1990 Clinic of Zaragoza radiotherapy accident

1987 Goiânia accident

1986 Chernobyl disaster and Chernobyl disaster effects

1979 Three Mile Island accident and Three Mile Island accident health effects

1969 Lucens reactor

1962 Thor missile launch failures during nuclear weapons testing at Johnston Atoll under Operation Fishbowl 1962

Cuban missile crisis 1961 SL-1 nuclear meltdown

1961 K-19 nuclear accident 1959 SRE partial nuclear meltdown at Santa Susana Field Laboratory

1957 Kyshtym disaster

1957 Windscale fire 1957 Operation Plumbbob 1954

Totskoye nuclear exercise Bikini Atoll Hanford Site Rocky Flats Plant, see also radioactive contamination from the Rocky Flats Plant Techa River Pollution of Lake Karachay
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236468 Sep 8, 2014
Your sodom and gomorrah story says child rape is OK.

But you've already admitted to knowing very little of your bible so you're not in a good place.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
oh you get to say that the Bible condones the rape of children and not back it up and still be an upstanding humanist, but i make a remark about darwin and you call moi the liar?!
see how insane people get when they bond with the insanely narcissitic devil? even when a Christian is wrong we're still more right than a demoniac!
'know you not that we will be the judges of men and devils???'
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236469 Sep 8, 2014
But the christian population has collapsed. So for the first time, well over half of our young adults have no belief. And how many muslim children will really stick with islam, despite what their parents say?
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
According to The Guardian in the last decade the Muslim population in the UK has increased from 1.6 million to 2.9 million. Is that what your definition of dying of old age translates to?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236470 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
But your religion doesn't work without the threat of hell so maybe your god made him that way.
<quoted text>
And working hard doesn’t work unless you have the threat of living homeless and hungry.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236471 Sep 8, 2014
Yawn. More people die naturally of skin cancer!

Or add all those incidents up versus the 2004 Tsunami.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you explain these nuclear accidents that have occurred in the last 50 years.
1987 Goiânia accident
1969 Lucens reactor
1962 Thor missile launch failures during nuclear weapons testing at Johnston Atoll under Operation Fishbowl 1962
1961 K-19 nuclear accident 1959 SRE partial nuclear meltdown at Santa Susana Field Laboratory
1957 Kyshtym disaster
Totskoye nuclear exercise Bikini Atoll Hanford Site Rocky Flats Plant, see also radioactive contamination from the Rocky Flats Plant Techa River Pollution of Lake Karachay
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236472 Sep 8, 2014
Why would you need to work hard if your god was compassionate?
Surely resources aren't an issue for your god?

However you respond, it will make your god seem less than all powerful.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
And working hard doesn’t work unless you have the threat of living homeless and hungry.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236473 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I don't believe you can prove the horseshoe crab's DNA hasn't changed in 500 million years.
Come on, bring some peer reviewed evidence to the table.
<quoted text>
Just look at the 500 million old fossils. They look just like they do today.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#236474 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Your sodom and gomorrah story says child rape is OK.
But you've already admitted to knowing very little of your bible so you're not in a good place.
<quoted text>
the Bible reveals how you sodomites think child or any type rape is a-ok as long as it feels good in your groins and this is why you sodomites don't like said Bible!;-)

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#236475 Sep 8, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
oont never judge a jozef mengele until you had az much fun experimenting on a jew az he.
huh, freuline roza!;-)
Du kannst nicht schreibe Deutsch rechtes, dumkopf.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#236476 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No.
For the first time in recorded history, over half of our young adults have no religion.
So non belief is growing far quicker than islam in the UK.
Religion is dying of old age over here.
<quoted text>
I can say I helped with this - my four boys were given the choice to be involved or not with religion, as long as they didn't require me to be part of it - inclusive of me driving them to where they wanted to go.

I've never had any problems with any of them, and all of them are great loving people.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#236477 Sep 8, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah - lot and his wife spent too much time hangin with the sodomites and that's part of the leeson to be learned!:-)
please don't tell me that you watch the logo network on cable, hon......
Sehr gut, Arschficker.

Albuquerque, NM

#236478 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
1987 Goiânia accident
1969 Lucens reactor
1957 Kyshtym disaster
Why? what does this prove? Men make mistakes?

Here you go again, skirting around the focal point of my post(s) and creating a new direction for you to travel, that really has no bearing on what has been discussed.

"Continuity" - a continuous connection. That is Science.

You cannot say this to be true with religion, because I've already shown you where inconsistency is the governing concept.

Please explain why religion has killed so many millions of peoples?

That is how silly your question was to me.

You'll avoid answering aspects of your religion, just to scoot away from doing so, and then come back and require others to answer something that has not bearing on the original topic.

Typical Catholic....and if you aren't one - you sure sound exactly like they do....always coming up with an excuse to be direct and honest with another person.

Albuquerque, NM

#236479 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yawn. More people die naturally of skin cancer!
Or add all those incidents up versus the 2004 Tsunami.
<quoted text>
In addition....over 150K people die daily in the world.....is the poster concerned about those?

No.....KM is just so brainwashed, he is afraid to admit facts and the truths behind the semantics he sweeps under teh rug.

How else do so-called "Christians" garner followers - by applying non-bearing analogies - instead of real-life occurrences and facts.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236480 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Why would you need to work hard if your god was compassionate?
Surely resources aren't an issue for your god?
However you respond, it will make your god seem less than all powerful.
<quoted text>
God has been compassionate by giving us believers the means to work hard. And giving us the opportunity to prove ourselves as being worthy of sustainable employment.

Believe me God has been very compassionate to me. I’ve always had good work and a successful career. Not once have I stood in a soup line. Nor have I had to go to charity to have a nice place to sleep or something for my family to eat.

Not that receiving those things are bad but being in the position to give to charity is far better than being a receiver of charity. And God has always blessed me to be on the giving side.

Having work is a blessing and it brings prosperity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min renee 31,208
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 min Demon Finder 13,260
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 21 min karl44 9,724
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 43 min Demon Finder 51,138
There are no such things as gods or fairies 4 hr Amused 32
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 5 hr thetruth 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr thetruth 4,348
More from around the web