Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#236450 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking animals? All a myth? Impossible?
Alex (1976 – September 6, 2007) was an African grey parrot and the subject of a thirty-year (1977–2007) experiment by animal psychologist Irene Pepperberg, initially at the University of Arizona and later at Harvard University and Brandeis University.
When Alex was about one year old, Pepperberg bought him at a pet shop. The name "Alex" was an acronym for avian language experiment, but Pepperberg later cited the name as meaning avian learning experiment to evoke further acceptance in her research field, a then-touchy topic (explained in her book, Alex & Me).
Before Pepperberg's work with Alex, it was widely believed in the scientific community that a large primate brain was needed to handle complex problems related to language and understanding; birds were not considered to be intelligent as their only common use of communication was of mimicking and the repetition of sounds to interact with each other. However, Alex's accomplishments supported the idea that birds may be able to reason on a basic level and use words creatively. Pepperberg wrote that Alex's intelligence was on a par with that of dolphins and great apes. She also reported that Alex had the intelligence of a five-year-old human and had not even reached his full potential by the time he died. She said that the bird had the emotional level of a human two-year-old at the time of his death.
Pepperberg said he could identify 50 different objects and recognize quantities up to six; that he could distinguish seven colors and five shapes, and understand the concepts of "bigger", "smaller", "same", and "different", and that he was learning "over" and "under". Alex passed increasingly difficult tests measuring whether humans have achieved Piaget's Substage 6 object permanence. Alex showed surprise and anger when confronted with a nonexistent object or one different from what he had been led to believe was hidden during the tests.
Alex had a vocabulary of over 100 words, but was exceptional in that he appeared to have understanding of what he said. For example, when Alex was shown an object and was asked about its shape, color, or material, he could label it correctly. He could understand that a key was a key no matter what its size or color, and could figure out how the key was different from others. He asked what color he was, and learned "grey" after being told the answer six times.
Alex understood the turn-taking of communication and often the syntax used in language. He called an apple a "banerry", which a Pepperberg's linguist friend thought to be a combination of "banana" and "cherry," two fruits he was more familiar with.
Alex could even add, to a limited extent, correctly giving the number of similar objects on a tray. Pepperberg said that if he could not count, the data could be interpreted as his being able to quickly and accurately estimate the number of something, better than humans can. When he was tired of being tested, he would say “Wanna go back,” meaning he wanted to go back to his cage, and in general, he would request where he wanted to be taken by saying "Wanna go...", protest if he was taken to a different place, and sit quietly when taken to his preferred spot. He was not trained to say where he wanted to go, but picked it up from being asked where he'd like to be taken.
If the researcher displayed irritation, Alex tried to defuse it with the phrase,“I’m sorry.” If he said “Wanna banana,” but was offered a nut instead, he stared in silence, asked for the banana again, or took the nut and threw it at the researcher or otherwise displayed annoyance, before requesting the item again. When asked questions in the context of research testing, he gave the correct answer approximately 80% of the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_ (parrot)
in conclusion - it's much easier and more pleasant to communicate with bird-brains than it is gaytheists. class dismissed!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236451 Sep 8, 2014
skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.But human beings have brains and hearts,rolex watches don't.
Ok, the same principle applies.

There are real Medical Doctors and there are also fake Doctors. Because there’re fake Medical Doctors doesn’t mean there are not real ones practicing medicine.

The same goes for Christianity. There is and always will be frauds. Lots of them operating and pretending to be something they’re not. But there are many that are real.

And again I thank you for coming out of the shadows and writing more. You are welcome here.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236452 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking animals? All a myth? Impossible?
Alex (1976 – September 6, 2007) was an African grey parrot and the subject of a thirty-year (1977–2007) experiment by animal psychologist Irene Pepperberg, initially at the University of Arizona and later at Harvard University and Brandeis University.
When Alex was about one year old, Pepperberg bought him at a pet shop. The name "Alex" was an acronym for avian language experiment, but Pepperberg later cited the name as meaning avian learning experiment to evoke further acceptance in her research field, a then-touchy topic (explained in her book, Alex & Me).
intelligence was on a par with that of dolphins and great apes. She also reported that Alex had the intelligence of a five-year-old human and had not even reached his full potential by the time he died. She said that the bird had the emotional level of a human two-year-old at the time of his death.
Pepperberg said he could identify 50 different objects and recognize quantities up to six; that he could distinguish seven colors and five shapes, and understand the concepts of "bigger", "smaller", "same", and "different", and that he was learning "over" and "under". Alex passed increasingly difficult tests measuring whether humans have achieved Piaget's Substage 6 object permanence. Alex showed surprise and anger when confronted with a nonexistent object or one different from what he had been led to believe was hidden during the tests.
Alex had a vocabulary of over 100 words, but was exceptional in that he appeared to have understanding of what he said. For example, when Alex was shown an object and was asked about its shape, color, or material, he could label it correctly. He could understand that a key was a key no matter what its size or color, and could figure out how the key was different from others. He asked what color he was, and learned "grey" after being told the answer six times.
Alex understood the turn-taking of communication and often the syntax used in language. He called an apple a "banerry", which a Pepperberg's linguist friend thought to be a combination of "banana" and "cherry," two fruits he was more familiar with.
Alex could even add, to a limited extent, correctly giving the number of similar objects on a tray. Pepperberg said that if he could not count, the data could be interpreted as his being able to quickly and accurately estimate the number of something, better than humans can. When he was tired of being tested, he would say “Wanna go back,” meaning he wanted to go back to his cage, and in general, he would request where he wanted to be taken by saying "Wanna go...", protest if he was taken to a different place, and sit quietly when taken to his preferred spot. He was not trained to say where he wanted to go, but picked it up from being asked where he'd like to be taken.
If the researcher displayed irritation, Alex tried to defuse it with the phrase,“I’m sorry.” If he said “Wanna banana,” but was offered a nut instead, he stared in silence, asked for the banana again, or took the nut and threw it at the researcher or otherwise displayed annoyance, before requesting the item again. When asked questions in the context of research testing, he gave the correct answer approximately 80% of the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_ (parrot)
in conclusion - the study found that a bird-brain can process information and communicate better than a brain inflicted with gaytheism.

class dismissed!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236453 Sep 8, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I had an auntie with Down's Syndrome. I saw what my grandparents went through looking after her, Grandma wouldn't put her in a home.
Never judge a man (or woman) until you have walked 7 moons in his moccasins.
oont never judge a jozef mengele until you had az much fun experimenting on a jew az he.

huh, freuline roza!;-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236454 Sep 8, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what all stalkers say. So do rapists.
you outta know what stalkers do cuz you been stalking me on topix since you went by the sock water_ nymph!;-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236455 Sep 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Bahahahaha
You know what Lot said to his sexual partners (his daughters)?
"Pass the salt"
yeah - lot and his wife spent too much time hangin with the sodomites and that's part of the leeson to be learned!:-)

please don't tell me that you watch the logo network on cable, hon......

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#236456 Sep 8, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated to the other answerless "christian" troll, whatever allows you to feel better about yourself...makes no difference to me.
i'm sorry but your communication skills make it difficult to understand you. could you please get a parrot and dictate through him? thank you:-)

Since: Apr 14

San German, Puerto Rico

#236457 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never claimed the Bible is a scientific document. I have correctly noted that it is an undisputed ancient historical document.
Did you know that the term 'big bang' originated as a derisive insult against the Bible by an atheist?
Have you read a scientific description of the big bang?
So once again I ask, how did the Bible get it right right off the bang?
Smile.
Just exactly what was it that the Bible got right? Please, expound.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#236459 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's see...
I've noted that the very first verse of the Bible noted the big bang. Science just caught up.
You noted that life was created out of the earth. Took science nearly 4,000 years to learn.
You missed a point about Adam and Eve... Human life began genderless. The Bible wins by thousands again.
Smile.
The Bible - vague and inconsistent
Science - specific and has continuity

Genesis 1:1
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

- this is very general and not very telling of how things came to be.
- When any universal object comes into existence - it is usually "formless" and then takes upon a form as years and centuries go by. According to how planets and other universal bodies of matter are created - dust and matter will continue to be attracted to and encircle a magnetic point until eventually, the matter and debris are pulled together with quantum particles.

- Nothing like that here. You are wrong.

Science and the Big Bang:
- although still considered a theory - it does contain many missing facts that the Bible does not hold, and/or suggest to be true.

Again - you are incorrect in your supposed belief.

"Big Bang Theory - Common Misconceptions
There are many misconceptions surrounding the Big Bang theory. For example, we tend to imagine a giant explosion. Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.

Another misconception is that we tend to image the singularity as a little fireball appearing somewhere in space. According to the many experts however, space didn't exist prior to the Big Bang. Back in the late '60s and early '70s, when men first walked upon the moon, "three British astrophysicists, Steven Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose turned their attention to the Theory of Relativity and its implications regarding our notions of time. In 1968 and 1970, they published papers in which they extended Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to include measurements of time and space.1, 2 According to their calculations, time and space had a finite beginning that corresponded to the origin of matter and energy."3 The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time it didn't exist and neither did we."

http://www.big-bang-theory.com/

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#236460 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I didn't list my beliefs. I quoted what the Bible says in the first chapter.
Those haven't changed in 3,500 years. What changed is scientific understanding.
It hasn't changed, because you think "God" has limited "His" ability to expanding others with the correct knowledge.

Science has changed his thinking as the facts are unraveled.

The Bible is missing plenty of facts......so to even use this in comparison to Science is only showing how much you lack in knowledge about Science.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236461 Sep 8, 2014
hpcaban wrote:
<quoted text>
Just exactly what was it that the Bible got right? Please, expound.
1) For starters the Bible promoted a healthy low fat diet. That was thousands of years before it was known that high triglycerides and cholesterol promotes heart disease.
2) Secondly Hygiene for infection control. This was long before microbiology became known to mankind.
3) Third, quarantines for dangerous diseases. Which in fact is still being used today in the case of Ebola virus.
4) Thou shalt not steal. That law is still valid just as it was thousands of years ago.
5) Thou shalt not kill. Meaning murdering your fellow neighbor. Partner if murder was legal you would not be walking on the face of the earth.
6) Honoring your father and mother. Is that so bad to give respect to the people that raised you? Do you think the Bible got that wrong?
7) What you reap you sow. That means if you are a heathen breaking every law known to man you are going to reap what you sown. It was valid thousands of years ago and it still valid today.
8) The Castle Doctrine- A law that allows for one to defend his home.
These are just a few the Bible got right.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236462 Sep 8, 2014
I don't believe you can prove the horseshoe crab's DNA hasn't changed in 500 million years.
Come on, bring some peer reviewed evidence to the table.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you see any horseshoe crabs operating any fishing boats? Like one of them being the captain?
This animal hasn’t changed in 500 million years.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236463 Sep 8, 2014
No.
For the first time in recorded history, over half of our young adults have no religion.
So non belief is growing far quicker than islam in the UK.
Religion is dying of old age over here.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly, you are exchanging Christianity for Islam.
Smart!
LOL
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236464 Sep 8, 2014
More like 5 hours. I flew on Concorde in 2003 but that's not an option anymore.

:(
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s been a innumerable number of atrocities over the centuries to many people because of intolerant bigots. Some are occurring right now not that far from where you live. And in history many of those atrocities were done to Jews and Christians in Europe.
In 2 hours via jet aircraft you could be right smack in the middle of a war zone where atrocities are occurring right this very minute to Christians, Jews, and Muslims.
I didn’t have anything to do with burning of witches. I’m a former fire fighter and I have been burned in an aviation fire. I wouldn’t want to see anyone get burned alive including witches. I’m not denying atrocities occurred throughout history. But it’s asinine to think it hasn’t happened to Christians and Jews because it has happened in far greater numbers.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236465 Sep 8, 2014
But your religion doesn't work without the threat of hell so maybe your god made him that way.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are partly right. The devil is retarded because he could still be sucking on margaritas in heaven if it wasn’t because he was so da*n stupid.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236466 Sep 8, 2014
You do know what descendants are, right?

Are you Ouroboros?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s why my descendants left the UK.
The Kings religion, and dingy dirty rat infested castles su*ked.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236467 Sep 8, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible - vague and inconsistent
Science - specific and has continuity
Genesis 1:1
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
- this is very general and not very telling of how things came to be.
- When any universal object comes into existence - it is usually "formless" and then takes upon a form as years and centuries go by. According to how planets and other universal bodies of matter are created - dust and matter will continue to be attracted to and encircle a magnetic point until eventually, the matter and debris are pulled together with quantum particles.
- Nothing like that here. You are wrong.
Science and the Big Bang:
- although still considered a theory - it does contain many missing facts that the Bible does not hold, and/or suggest to be true.
Again - you are incorrect in your supposed belief.
"Big Bang Theory - Common Misconceptions
There are many misconceptions surrounding the Big Bang theory. For example, we tend to imagine a giant explosion. Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.
Another misconception is that we tend to image the singularity as a little fireball appearing somewhere in space. According to the many experts however, space didn't exist prior to the Big Bang. Back in the late '60s and early '70s, when men first walked upon the moon, "three British astrophysicists, Steven Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose turned their attention to the Theory of Relativity and its implications regarding our notions of time. In 1968 and 1970, they published papers in which they extended Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to include measurements of time and space.1, 2 According to their calculations, time and space had a finite beginning that corresponded to the origin of matter and energy."3 The singularity didn't appear in space; rather, space began inside of the singularity. Prior to the singularity, nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing. So where and in what did the singularity appear if not in space? We don't know. We don't know where it came from, why it's here, or even where it is. All we really know is that we are inside of it and at one time it didn't exist and neither did we."
http://www.big-bang-theory.com/
Science has continuity is that right? How about three cheers for science!

How about you explain these nuclear accidents that have occurred in the last 50 years.

2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

2001 Instituto Oncologico Nacional radiotherapy accident

1996 San Juan de Dios radiotherapy accident

1990 Clinic of Zaragoza radiotherapy accident

1987 Goiânia accident

1986 Chernobyl disaster and Chernobyl disaster effects

1979 Three Mile Island accident and Three Mile Island accident health effects

1969 Lucens reactor

1962 Thor missile launch failures during nuclear weapons testing at Johnston Atoll under Operation Fishbowl 1962

Cuban missile crisis 1961 SL-1 nuclear meltdown

1961 K-19 nuclear accident 1959 SRE partial nuclear meltdown at Santa Susana Field Laboratory

1957 Kyshtym disaster

1957 Windscale fire 1957 Operation Plumbbob 1954

Totskoye nuclear exercise Bikini Atoll Hanford Site Rocky Flats Plant, see also radioactive contamination from the Rocky Flats Plant Techa River Pollution of Lake Karachay
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236468 Sep 8, 2014
Your sodom and gomorrah story says child rape is OK.

But you've already admitted to knowing very little of your bible so you're not in a good place.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
oh you get to say that the Bible condones the rape of children and not back it up and still be an upstanding humanist, but i make a remark about darwin and you call moi the liar?!
see how insane people get when they bond with the insanely narcissitic devil? even when a Christian is wrong we're still more right than a demoniac!
'know you not that we will be the judges of men and devils???'
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236469 Sep 8, 2014
But the christian population has collapsed. So for the first time, well over half of our young adults have no belief. And how many muslim children will really stick with islam, despite what their parents say?
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
According to The Guardian in the last decade the Muslim population in the UK has increased from 1.6 million to 2.9 million. Is that what your definition of dying of old age translates to?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236470 Sep 8, 2014
Thinking wrote:
But your religion doesn't work without the threat of hell so maybe your god made him that way.
<quoted text>
And working hard doesn’t work unless you have the threat of living homeless and hungry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min renee 35,179
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Thinking 3,712
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 14,941
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 6 hr Thinking 157
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 hr Thinking 20,097
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 14 hr emperorjohn 139
There are no such things as gods or fairies Tue Amused 102
More from around the web