Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256128 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236304 Sep 5, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
This is the response I get? You are comparing a talking serpent, speaking in a language understandable by a human, telling a human to do something that the human was told not to do - although the human in question did not know right from wrong so why she got the blame for eating the fruit without having the knowledge that what she was doing was wrong is beyond me...I think it was a set-up. But that is for another time.
So your example of a modern primates being taught sign language and birds mimicking humans is your final answer?
And a salt formation as well?
You disappoint.
Disclaimer:
Please don't even think my words above are to be construed that I have any belief whatsoever that a talking snake or Eve ever existed but for in a book of fiction.
Have a great evening!
“Alex” the African Parrot could talk and reason. Sorry to have deflated your ego. I just goes with the territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_ (parrot)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236305 Sep 5, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
and...
It is estimated that 233,000 men in the US will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year. Although current screening methods for the disease - such as digital rectal exams - aid early detection, they are not always accurate. But with the help of "man's best friend," a new screening technique could be in the cards.
A new study from Italian researchers, presented at the 109th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Urological Association in Orlando, FL, found that specially trained dogs were able to detect prostate cancer from urine samples with 98% accuracy.
There is no denying a dog's extraordinary sense of smell. While we have around 5 million olfactory cells in our noses - receptors that detect different odors - dogs have approximately 200 million. It is dogs' acute ability to trace scents that has made them so attractive to the medical world.
In November last year, a spotlight feature from Medical News Today delved into the world of medical detection dogs. The feature looked at how the animals can help alert a diabetic owner to high or low blood sugar levels through being trained to detect a specific scent in their breath or sweat.
The feature also explored how dogs are now being used for detection of various cancers. One study revealed that trained detection dogs were able to detect ovarian cancer in tissue and blood samples through sniffing out volatile organic compounds (VOCs). A 2011 study, conducted by researchers at UK charity Medical Detection Dogs, found that such compounds could also be biomarkers of bladder cancer.
The authors of this latest research note that in 2010, a study demonstrated that specially trained dogs were able to smell VOCs released into urine from prostate cancer tumors. But this study only involved 33 patients. Therefore, the Italian research team set out to determine dogs' detection accuracy in a larger sample.
ADHD, is perhaps not the response you were expecting but your lack of ability to stay somewhat on subject does give us this opportunity to discuss it. No one will think less of you if you decide to get some help.

Definition

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Adult attention-deficit/hyperactivit y disorder (ADHD) is a mental health condition exhibited by difficulty maintaining attention, as well as hyperactivity and impulsive behavior. Adult ADHD symptoms can lead to a number of problems, including unstable relationships, poor work or school performance, and low self-esteem.
ADHD always starts in early childhood, but in some cases it's not diagnosed until later in life. It was once thought that ADHD was limited to childhood. But symptoms frequently persist into adulthood. For some people, adult ADHD causes significant problems that improve with treatment.
Treatment for adult ADHD is similar to treatment for childhood ADHD, and includes stimulant drugs or other medications, psychological counseling (psychotherapy), and treatment for any mental health conditions that occur along with adult ADHD.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236306 Sep 5, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you are one who does not take the bible literally?
Sorry...equating "In the beginning, god created..." to the Big Bang does not fly. Nor does the rest, thanks anyways.
LOL, that ranks way up there with a rational response...

Just admit you can't explain it and you are afraid to face the truth.

Smile.

Location hidden

#236307 Sep 5, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
How about if I wrote a book saying "In the beginning, Spiderman created..."? How is my book any different from your bible?
Um, because yours was written 3,500 years after the Bible and when that scientific information was already known.

The fact that you would even ask that question causes me to ask, "How old are you?"

Smirk.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#236308 Sep 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
If you are up on the news you know that Atheist Guru Richard Dawkins made a controversial statement recently.
Last week, the biologist Richard Dawkins sparked controversy when, in response to a woman’s hypothetical question about whether to carry to term a child with Down syndrome, he wrote on Twitter:“Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice.”
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com
What an outstanding guy this Mr. Dawkins is. His recommendation of terminating a life in the womb because of Downs Syndrome is like something straight out of NAZI Germany operation book. Oh he made some points for Atheism and just how cold, indifferent, and insensitive he is.
I can tell you this his personal stock dropped a good bit with a lot of people because of that rude and crude recommendation. That uncouth statement didn’t sit well with a lot of people. What a jerk and you Atheist look up to this guy?
The President of Oxford should have sent him packing. I would have thrown his desk and all his belongs out into the street and then had a bonfire with it. I mean there’s just some things you don’t say if your in the public eye. I just wonder what kind of value does he put on human life?
Does he believe in terminating a life because a unborn baby has any kind of perceived defect? Or terminate a life because the baby is mixed race? I just wonder what are his requirements for his “Super Race?”
I wonder how he feels about the elderly? If they start moving too slow do you just terminate them in the gas chamber?
I had an auntie with Down's Syndrome. I saw what my grandparents went through looking after her, Grandma wouldn't put her in a home.

Never judge a man (or woman) until you have walked 7 moons in his moccasins.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236309 Sep 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just off the top of my head, the American Red Cross is not a religious charity nor is Doctors without Borders, and most of your food banks are not considered a religious charity.
I give to the food bank all the time, and other I know also donate.
Just because your trailer has screens on the windows don't mean you are better than most of these Christians here.
You mean Medecins Sans Frontieres? They usually call them by the French name.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236310 Sep 5, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, what Church is this being taught in?
What idiotic bigotry from 'rational atheist' oxymorons!
Smirk.
That's OK. Another man's wife (or defacto) isn't a virgin.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236311 Sep 5, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i refuse to engage in a negative conversation with you cuz i luv you!:-)
That's what all stalkers say. So do rapists.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#236312 Sep 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
churches are getting very silent over here. And empty. And becoming gastro pubs.
<quoted text>
Yes, or else here we turn them into restaurants or art galleries.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#236314 Sep 5, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
do you have any ancient and barbaric laws of the pagan nations that surrounded israel circa 3500 years BC? the lil bit that we can deduce from history is that you'd probably much rather have been born a jew;-)
the whole council of the folks in the sodom and gomorrah region - "hey there's some new peeps in town, let's go butt-rape the shit out of them!!!"
Bahahahaha

You know what Lot said to his sexual partners (his daughters)?

"Pass the salt"

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#236315 Sep 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those UK cops and their night sticks have kind of history.
I give you a hard time a lot but the truth is I have UK roots.
My family came over in the 1800’s. One of your towns has the same name as my last name. We picked up genetic traits that came from the ole land such as our temper. We have this bit of a temper of being hot headed and too quick to get in a ole fist fight.
Ahhhh the days of our youth.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My family came over in the 1800’s. One of your towns has the same name as my last name.
Let me guess.

Staines?

Yes?

Since: May 11

Reality, USA

#236316 Sep 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Alex” the African Parrot could talk and reason. Sorry to have deflated your ego. I just goes with the territory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_ (parrot)
You deflated nothing...actually I think you made yourself look foolish.

Reality, USA

#236317 Sep 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, that ranks way up there with a rational response...
Just admit you can't explain it and you are afraid to face the truth.
Smile.
You are correct, I cannot explain it...and neither can you with any certainty. I can, however, provide a rational, logical cause and provide scientific data if needed to back it up.

What do you have? A book written thousands of years ago by ancient man trying to explain the unexplainable and "faith".
That, along with two lord's prayers, 6 hail mary's and 3 acts of contritions will get you absolutely nothing except maybe a "feel good" feeling about you. Good luck with that!

Location hidden

#236318 Sep 6, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, I cannot explain it...and neither can you with any certainty. I can, however, provide a rational, logical cause and provide scientific data if needed to back it up.
Good. lets hear it!

Just a note: I didn't try to explain how that info showed up in a 'fictional' book thousands of years before science discovered it. I asked you to, and you can't. You disdain what you can't understand and ignore what you can. A clear symptom of bigotry and denial.

Smirk.

Reality, USA

#236319 Sep 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. lets hear it!
Just a note: I didn't try to explain how that info showed up in a 'fictional' book thousands of years before science discovered it. I asked you to, and you can't. You disdain what you can't understand and ignore what you can. A clear symptom of bigotry and denial.
Smirk.
You are quite capable of doing it yourself. You may begin at your own leisure.

I do not disdain what I cannot understand. I dismiss what I see others trying to understand without and logical proof and fail at.

Have a great day!
religionislies

London, UK

#236320 Sep 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. lets hear it!
Smirk.
Listen to yourself - religious liar with no evidence of god.

Location hidden

#236321 Sep 6, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite capable of doing it yourself. You may begin at your own leisure.
I do not disdain what I cannot understand. I dismiss what I see others trying to understand without and logical proof and fail at.
Have a great day!
How childish again.

I don't need to 'prove' what is in black and white in an ancient book.

You denigrate others when they can't explain what is in the Bible, than turn around and dismiss what can be understood in the Bible.

Foolish hypocrisy.

Run and hide 'rational atheist' oxymoron!!!

Snicker smile.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236322 Sep 6, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Let me guess.
Staines?
Yes?
Even though you hate me.....I still love you...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236323 Sep 6, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You deflated nothing...actually I think you made yourself look foolish.
You have been like a chew toy to a German Shepherd. It’s been my pleasure my friend.
Patrick

United States

#236324 Sep 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
How childish again.
I don't need to 'prove' what is in black and white in an ancient book.
You denigrate others when they can't explain what is in the Bible, than turn around and dismiss what can be understood in the Bible.
Foolish hypocrisy.
Run and hide 'rational atheist' oxymoron!!!
Snicker smile.
……..Your call is important to the Palace ….please remain on the line as each call will be answered in the order received…. Queen Elizabeth II may be busy with another caller at the moment ….…..estimated wait time is two years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min DanFromSmithville 40,858
Good arguments against Christianity 1 hr thetruth 118
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr thetruth 105
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 1 hr thetruth 12
www 3 hr www 1
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr ChristineM 16,428
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 4 hr thetruth 67
More from around the web