Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255296 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236212 Sep 4, 2014
I don't regard all christians as christards. Most christians do not lie about the evidence for Evolution, nor conflate their creation belief (i.e. how things got started) with Evolution (how things evolved, whatever your creation standpoint).

I also often see terms I object to but I do not censor others unless they are advocating violence.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
I do object to the term christards however. If they are extreme rightwingers, I think the term christo-fascists would be more appropriate. Even if you think they are more stupid than evil, I find the use of a version of the term retarded to be unpleasant. Luckily the word retarded is being replaced by kinder terms. Indoctrination is unfortunately alive and well among Christians as it is among many other religious and ideologically dogmatic groups.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236213 Sep 4, 2014
You appreciate a belief in everlasting torment and poor spelling skills.

I do not.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
very very true, bro! don't we all have stories tho?! some of us repent and call on God through our problems while others choose to shake their fists and blame Him instead.
i have trouble with being gracious to haters on these annonymous forums, but i certainly appreciate the bros & sis who maintain:-)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236214 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
It's commanded (not back documented) in Deuteronomy 20:10-14
<quoted text>
You are making a gross implication. Which I realize personally fits your model of reasoning. But if you look at the Jewish culture “rape” was forbidden and punishable by death.

Because they took possession of property, people and animals doesn’t imply atrocities were committed by the Israelites.

Have you ever took possession of something like a lost dog? Did you violate that animal by having sex with it? It’s an ridiculous absurdity that you are implying. And furthermore there is no reference to the word rape, nowhere.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236215 Sep 4, 2014
You're mad.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making a gross implication. Which I realize personally fits your model of reasoning. But if you look at the Jewish culture “rape” was forbidden and punishable by death.
Because they took possession of property, people and animals doesn’t imply atrocities were committed by the Israelites.
Have you ever took possession of something like a lost dog? Did you violate that animal by having sex with it? It’s an ridiculous absurdity that you are implying. And furthermore there is no reference to the word rape, nowhere.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236216 Sep 4, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
very very true, bro! don't we all have stories tho?! some of us repent and call on God through our problems while others choose to shake their fists and blame Him instead.
i have trouble with being gracious to haters on these annonymous forums, but i certainly appreciate the bros & sis who maintain:-)
Topix Atheist are not objective. And most can’t handle a honest debate. Even with that consideration I enjoy engaging them.

Anytime you pit honesty against untruth the untruth goes awry every time. They’re predictable and often revert to personal insults. Because they know their position is false and is propped by deceit.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236217 Sep 4, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
I'm very truthful.....I find being honest - although it can hurt at times, is the best mode of speech to take. So you are wrong again, with me not being truthful.
WOW!!
- "since many atheists on here are gays."
When you project - you really kick it off good, huh?
Citation please. Maybe some quotes by the Atheists will help support your claim.
I doubt there are many gay Atheists on this forum. That would be reaching.
<quoted text>
Still avoiding to answer the questions I pose.
Face KM - you aren't very good at dialogue in a debate forum.
Oh well....carry on.
I answered them appropriately, you just didn't like the honesty.

I don't need your permission, do I.

Smile.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236218 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You're mad.
<quoted text>
Angry?

Not at all.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#236219 Sep 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think an orangutan is sitting on top of a tree staring at the heavens at night is thinking about purpose? He’s a freaking animal just trying to survive.
Only people of faith believe in higher order and purpose. You freaking Atheist need to stick to your party line about evolution and forget about the cosmos because you aren’t leaving the earths low orbit.
You are just like that orangutan you are just existing. No direction, no purpose and no hope for a future. Your little broken down rat infested trailer house is all you ever gonna have Bubba. That’s your heaven on Earth Bubba, it’s as best as it’s going to get for you.
I don't believe Bill and Melinda Gates would appreciate you calling their mansion a rat infested trailer.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#236220 Sep 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have adventurers, and you have tourists that think they are adventurers. The latter follow beaten tracks.
You are a tourist.
When was the last time you went trail blazing?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#236221 Sep 4, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
I do object to the term christards however. If they are extreme rightwingers, I think the term christo-fascists would be more appropriate. Even if you think they are more stupid than evil, I find the use of a version of the term retarded to be unpleasant. Luckily the word retarded is being replaced by kinder terms. Indoctrination is unfortunately alive and well among Christians as it is among many other religious and ideologically dogmatic groups.
Humans are WAY too concerned with words perceived as being "unkind". At the time retarded was coined to describe a condition it was just a descriptive word. Neutral with no negative connotations. Over time words are co-opted and a neutral word becomes "unkind".
So a shiny new word will coined to describe the same condition and everyone will feel good about themselves for being so caring and 10-20 years down the road the new word will be deemed "unkind" for the same reasons.And a new word will be needed."sigh"
Patrick

United States

#236222 Sep 4, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered them appropriately, you just didn't like the honesty.
I don't need your permission, do I.
Smile.
Usual malarkey, read his older posts for amusement :-)

Sally Perk Your Coffee Pot
Please don't ask for coffee
when only a few will buy.
I'd rather not put on a pot
than leave it to burn dry.
So Sally won't perk coffee now.
It's not the time of day.
And me a patient gentleman
asks for tea this way:
"Sally; put the coffee on"
Sally will say "No"!
And then I'll take a cup of tea
and on my way I'll go.
Sometimes I will get some luck
and Sally serves my wants.
After all; there's too much tea
than this whole world flaunts.
So Sally perk your coffee pot.
I see it's getting busy.
The time has come for you to shine
and free me from this tizzy.
Patrick

United States

#236223 Sep 4, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of natural science, why do gays often speak with a lisp?
Smile.
<quoted text>
You are not being truthful are you.
Yes, I am speaking from experience. I used to have a speech impediment, but overcame it.
Homosexuals, on the other hand seem to acquire one. I'm simply asking why, since many atheists on here are gays. At this point it may or may not be off topic.
You can watch and learn.
Smile.
Earlier Malarkey ...:-)

WHAT TO DO INSTEAD OF MAKING COFFEE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING

Write a poem…

I'm not without passion,
I keep it controlled.
To temper the action,
that's my role.
Not to say I am passive,

don't care to relate.
If I need to elevate,
the key I keep
is to where flame
burns deep.

Summer is ending.
Where did it go,
maybe the cicadas know,
singing their lives out
with a corporate shout.

Where did it go,
to make room for snow?
We have none here.
Less reason to fear
the end is near.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#236224 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You think I disrespected retarded people because I equated them to you? OK.
<quoted text>
Most of the developmentally disabled have more of an idea than that thing. LOL

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#236225 Sep 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the first time I’ve seen this passage. And I want to thank you for bringing it up.
In today’s light when two men are engaged in a physical conflict it’s certainly not unheard of for a women to jump into the melee.
This type of action as referenced, squeezing the secret part of a man by a woman is extreme. And presents a unfair advantage. From the male perspective there’s no pain equivalent and it’s a game ender to say the least.
There’s some things in life you don’t do and one of those is for a women to come into a male combatant environment and tip the scales. There are other options at her disposal besides using the nuclear option.
And no man ever wants the nuclear option used on them.. If I had been the woman it would be time to send in the dog to level the playing field.
Do you also defend slavery? That's in the OT as well.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#236226 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
But the bible telling of your sodom and gomorrah story says child rape is OK.
Another reason why a book written by goat bothers over two thousand years ago should not be venerated today.
<quoted text>
Just in case they try to deny what happened then:

Genesis 19
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

U really would nominate Lot for Father of the Year.
:-/

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#236227 Sep 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Don't you christards ever read your bible?
<quoted text>
Like I said. It didn't take them long.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#236228 Sep 4, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
say what you will, but you'll never be justified for putting your hang-down in another mans stanky thang!;-)
Then why do you do it, shirt raiser?
Patrick

United States

#236229 Sep 4, 2014
75 Years Ago

This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a
final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock that they were
prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would
exist between us.

I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that
consequently this country is at war with Germany.

You can imagine what a bitter blow it is to me that all my long struggle to win
peace has failed. Yet I cannot believe that there is anything more or anything
different that I could have done and that would have been more successful.

Up to the very last it would have been quite possible to have arranged a peaceful
and honourable settlement between Germany and Poland, but Hitler would not have it.
He had evidently made up his mind to attack Poland whatever happened, and
although He now says he put forward reasonable proposals which were rejected by
the Poles, that is not a true statement. The proposals were never shown to the
Poles, nor to us, and, although they were announced in a German broadcast on
Thursday night, Hitler did not wait to hear comments on them, but ordered his
troops to cross the Polish frontier. His action shows convincingly that there is
no chance of expecting that this man will ever give up his practice of using force
to gain his will. He can only be stopped by force.

We and France are today, in fulfilment of our obligations, going to the aid of
Poland, who is so bravely resisting this wicked and unprovoked attack on her
people. We have a clear conscience. We have done all that any country could do to
establish peace. The situation in which no word given by Germany's ruler could be
trusted and no people or country could feel themselves safe has become intolerable.
And now that we have resolved to finish it, I know that you will all play your part
with calmness and courage.

At such a moment as this the assurances of support that we have received from the
Empire are a source of profound encouragement to us.

The Government have made plans under which it will be possible to carry on the
work of the nation in the days of stress and strain that may be ahead. But these
plans need your help. You may be taking your part in the fighting services or as
a volunteer in one of the branches of Civil Defence. If so you will report for
duty in accordance with the instructions you have received. You may be engaged in
work essential to the prosecution of war for the maintenance of the life of the
people - in factories, in transport, in public utility concerns, or in the supply
of other necessaries of life. If so, it is of vital importance that you should
carry on with your jobs.

Now may God bless you all. May He defend the right. It is the evil things that we
shall be fighting against - brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and
persecution - and against them I am certain that the right will prevail.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236230 Sep 4, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe Bill and Melinda Gates would appreciate you calling their mansion a rat infested trailer.
I don’t believe Bill and Melinda Gates created a consortium to represent every Atheist and Agnostic in the world. These are just two individuals that were not elected to represent unbelievers in the Charitable Contributions of the World Wide Atheist/Agnostics Federation.

But every Atheist/Agnostic tag along and claim Bill and Melinda’s charitable contributions as their own. What a freaking joke. He and Melinda gave representing the “Gates,” family as individuals and no one else.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236231 Sep 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you also defend slavery? That's in the OT as well.
It’s not a matter of defending slavery but understanding it has always been a part of world history. And all nations and people in earlier times participated in slavery in one way or another.

The children of Israel spent 400 years in bondage as slaves. In addition Joseph the son of Jacob was sold into slavery. The issue of slavery was not blotted out or hidden from view but told just as it was.

It’s also important to understand that slavery wasn’t just something that happened back in times past. It is alive and ongoing this very day. People are being sold at action as slaves and some of these people are being sold are young Christian women captured by ISIS.

What we fail to understand is it has always been around. I wouldn’t want to be a slave as I’m sure the Israelites didn’t want to be enslaved either. The world would have been better off without slavery but we must accept the fact it was a part of history and it continues today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 min scientia potentia... 13,268
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr scientia potentia... 31,259
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr JustASkeptic 9,732
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 6 hr NightSerf 51,149
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 9 hr Eagle 12 20
News Speaking for God 13 hr Amused 582
There are no such things as gods or fairies 20 hr Amused 32
More from around the web