Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256560 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235914 Aug 31, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
So eagle, how does this stack up when we talk about Martyrs in today's world...which are by nature 100% religious people, who murder other people in their suicide?
They’re terrorist and cowards. That’s how they stack up in my view.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235915 Aug 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand that depression is an actual mental illness that has physical causes much of the time and is something that can't be prayed away, right?
Those darn facts again...
Perhaps there’s several types and causes of depression that’s not related to a mental illness. For example a chemical imbalance or hormonal deficiency. I would let the physiologist and physiatrists make that determination based on their professional opinions. I do in fact believe in seeking medical attention in such matters.

Not once in Jesus ministry did he criticize someone for seeing a Doctor. We also know the Apostle Paul had seen a Medical Doctor with an ailment he was struggling with.

As far as praying away depression. Atheist don’t believe in prayer. People of faith believe in prayer and have seen prayer actually work in many aspects of their life’s. Atheist have a higher rate of suicide than people of faith. So obviously non prayer doesn’t work.

Those darn facts..........
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235916 Aug 31, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Always interesting alas some caution ......
In the end make sure you’re suspicious of all data. Ask yourself the obvious questions:
- who did the primary research on this analysis?
- who paid them? Nobody does this stuff free. You’re either paid up front “sponsored research” or you’re paid on the back-end in terms of clients buying research reports.
- what motives might these people have had?
- who was in the sample set? how big was it? was it inclusive enough?
- and the important thing about data for me … I ingest it religiously. I use it as one source of figuring out my version of the truth. And then I triangulate. I look for more sources if I want a truer picture.
I always try to think to myself,“what would the opposing side of this data analysis use to argue its weaknesses?”
Statistics aren’t evil. They’re just a bit like the weather – hard to really predict.
And as they say about economists and weathermen – they’re the only two jobs you can keep while being wrong nearly 100% of the time "
Thank you Patrick for your comments. Your comments are universal meaning they can be applied to Atheist or of people of faith. From our vantage point it’s really a good idea to leave sources so people can check out the references.

I find a lot of times that many opinions are put out there as facts by opposing views. And these people posting these opposing views fail to back up those so called facts with sources. This for sure is a red flag.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235917 Aug 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand that depression is an actual mental illness that has physical causes much of the time and is something that can't be prayed away, right?
Those darn facts again...
Theists have a bond with the universe, and a belief something is in control of it. They are serving some purpose in the greater scheme of things.

An atheist is all alone in random chance and larger forces. There is no ultimate purpose for their existence, or suffering.

Which do you think will crack faster when things really go wrong?

Since: Sep 10

Seattle, WA

#235918 Aug 31, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Theists have a bond with the universe, and a belief something is in control of it. They are serving some purpose in the greater scheme of things.
An atheist is all alone in random chance and larger forces. There is no ultimate purpose for their existence, or suffering.
I have a bond with nature.

I spent two hours communing with her this morning, in the Bellevue, Washington botanical garden.

It was a spiritual experience for me, an atheist.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#235919 Aug 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent two hours communing with her this morning, in the Bellevue, Washington botanical garden.
Have you tried communing with her feline children on the savannahs?
I'm sure that would be the ultimate spiritual experience and very likely your final one.

Since: Sep 10

Seattle, WA

#235920 Aug 31, 2014
Hey Firedude, I recently spent a few days in the deep Peruvian Amazon.

Alligators, monkeys, tarantulas, piranhas and cougars.

Catcher is tough as any of Dave's magnets.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#235921 Aug 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
They got Guerrilla's too.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235922 Aug 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
50 year old cougars aren’t your type are they?

United States

#235923 Aug 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was artificial.

Of course you would be bonded to it.

United States

#235924 Aug 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
On a guided tour, no doubt.

You are such the adventurer. Where do you buy your safari clothes, Bwana Catcher?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#235925 Aug 31, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps there’s several types and causes of depression that’s not related to a mental illness. For example a chemical imbalance or hormonal deficiency. I would let the physiologist and physiatrists make that determination based on their professional opinions. I do in fact believe in seeking medical attention in such matters.
Not once in Jesus ministry did he criticize someone for seeing a Doctor. We also know the Apostle Paul had seen a Medical Doctor with an ailment he was struggling with.
As far as praying away depression. Atheist don’t believe in prayer. People of faith believe in prayer and have seen prayer actually work in many aspects of their life’s. Atheist have a higher rate of suicide than people of faith. So obviously non prayer doesn’t work.
Those darn facts..........
Thank you for admitting that Robin Williams religious beliefs or lack thereof had nothing to do with his suicide.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#235926 Aug 31, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's odd...I don't feel all alone. I have my friends and my family. I don't feel that my life or how it is unfolding is random, either - I am shaping my life by the choices I make. Odd too that I actually do feel a purpose in my life - to be the best person I can be, to experience joy and happiness, to love and be loved, to leave the world a better place if at all possible, same thing that most people feel.

Huh...I guess you don't actually know what you're talking about.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#235927 Aug 31, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
When have you become atheist Bucko?

Do you happen to be Omniscient One Knowing all atheists feelings?

Maybe its you who's cracked up,yes!

United States

#235928 Aug 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
That's odd...I don't feel all alone. I have my friends and my family. I don't feel that my life or how it is unfolding is random, either - I am shaping my life by the choices I make. Odd too that I actually do feel a purpose in my life - to be the best person I can be, to experience joy and happiness, to love and be loved, to leave the world a better place if at all possible, same thing that most people feel.
You carved out an illusory very tiny spot in a vastness and complexity you can't concieve of, and which can come crashing down literally at any moment. You live in a very artificial environment. A house of cards waiting for a breeze.

You need some educating.

United States

#235929 Aug 31, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
When have you become atheist Bucko?
Do you happen to be Omniscient One Knowing all atheists feelings?
Maybe its you who's cracked up,yes!
50 years ago, when it wasn't the fad.

You need some seasoning, too.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235930 Aug 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Atheist experience love?

Because love is a religious word and expression. And it’s listed 310 times in the KJV Bible. And Atheist have made it clear they don’t believe anything in the Bible so that would include the word “love.”

You have acquaintances, connections, fellow neighbors but friends? See friendship requires some level of love and there’s that religious word again. You know animal packs with alpha males and females. The pecking order and I’m sure you are somewhere near the bottom of this gang.

Family?, no you don’t have family you have offspring or broods according to your evolutionary belief. You know survival of the fittest crap you were force feed.

The choices you’ve made in your life were based on evolutions natural selection. Purely animalistic, driven by physical appetites or animal like desires. See people are just animals that showed up one day by the masses. They just evolved from worms?

Don’t try to read something spiritual in your existence because you are just one in the freaking jungle hanging in the tree by your tail dude competing for food. Remember you are an Atheist that means all this evolutionary mumbo jumbo and nothing religious.

Don’t be crossing over into our territory and talking about love and purpose. You are going to confuse yourself.

United States

#235931 Aug 31, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because love is a religious word and expression. And it’s listed 310 times in the KJV Bible. And Atheist have made it clear they don’t believe anything in the Bible so that would include the word “love.”
You have acquaintances, connections, fellow neighbors but friends? See friendship requires some level of love and there’s that religious word again. You know animal packs with alpha males and females. The pecking order and I’m sure you are somewhere near the bottom of this gang.
Family?, no you don’t have family you have offspring or broods according to your evolutionary belief. You know survival of the fittest crap you were force feed.
The choices you’ve made in your life were based on evolutions natural selection. Purely animalistic, driven by physical appetites or animal like desires. See people are just animals that showed up one day by the masses. They just evolved from worms?
Don’t try to read something spiritual in your existence because you are just one in the freaking jungle hanging in the tree by your tail dude competing for food. Remember you are an Atheist that means all this evolutionary mumbo jumbo and nothing religious.
Don’t be crossing over into our territory and talking about love and purpose. You are going to confuse yourself.
Too late. He is too confused to know he is confused.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235932 Aug 31, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Too late. He is too confused to know he is confused.
[laughing]

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#235933 Aug 31, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you stupid or something?
Not believing in skyfaries don't mean you don't love your wife, children and life itself.
It just means...you don't believe in skyfaries!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 34 min Aura Mytha 43,237
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 58 min It aint necessari... 18,571
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr AmericanPagan 21,175
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 9 hr Eagle 12 10,051
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 9 hr Eagle 12 753
A Universe from Nothing? 10 hr Into The Night 538
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 10 hr Patrick 465
More from around the web