Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238464 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#235395 Aug 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
So you are at last admitting the Hitler and Stalin were christian... Thank you...
No I'm not.

I'm using what you think is logic - stating that once a person becomes a Christian, they are forever a Christian.

Just like you and all the other Christians here that call themselves atheist. According to you, you're all still Christians.

It's the logic you apply to people like Hitler and Stalin, arguing that because they were once Christian, they always were.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235396 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you ask for a Bible verse and when I give several you reject them and instead present several rejected writings.
You lack honesty or common sense, which is it?
Smile.
BTW - I didn't ask for a "Bible verse" I asked:

"Where does Jesus call himself 'God'?......NOT - "Where does someone else call Jesus 'God'?" - as you wanted my post to say and clearly indicated in this post.

It didn't - so you are incorrect. You don't have a reading comprehension problem, do you?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#235397 Aug 26, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
I asked:
"Where does Jesus call himself 'God'?
"The Father and I are One." -Jesus

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#235398 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Yep.....he changed his name. Why? I don't know -you'll have to ask him.
RR has now decided the term redneck, as he described himself, is (or may be) offensive.

So he's put lipstick on a pig.

San Francisco, CA

#235399 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is still alive, CL.
Think about it...
I hear a rumor that Jesus is alive but on life support.

San Francisco, CA

#235400 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
RR died a painful, yet very necessary spiritual death a few months back and had to resign from Topix for a month.
But the spirit of RR remained, untamed, unconquered, unflattering, selfish, arrogant and ornery.
He needed to be dissolved, deluded and refined.
After a month of much needed prayer and meditation, he returned to Topix reborn with a new spirit of fellowship, understanding, kindness, selflessness and humility.
He was reborn anew, as Mr Fif.
Hi, I'm Mr Fif. Have we met?
Yes, we have met, Redneck.
feces for jesus

Westbury, NY

#235401 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything you post is unprovable BS.
Thinking

Ashford, UK

#235402 Aug 26, 2014
That's why there are 40,000+ christian cults...
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
RR died a painful, yet very necessary spiritual death a few months back and had to resign from Topix for a month.
But the spirit of RR remained, untamed, unconquered, unflattering, selfish, arrogant and ornery.
He needed to be dissolved, deluded and refined.
After a month of much needed prayer and meditation, he returned to Topix reborn with a new spirit of fellowship, understanding, kindness, selflessness and humility.
He was reborn anew, as Mr Fif.
Hi, I'm Mr Fif. Have we met?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235403 Aug 26, 2014
"the fulfilled promise" - as you state.....
And what is that?
<quoted text>
I think I would like to know, but I asked just to make sure you and I were going to be talking about the same thing.
As I figured, I somehow realized that you wouldn't post it outright, but would have to add your only literary comments to the post - all without posting to my question.
Are you afraid of something if you had?
C'mon KM - be clear in your retort....what is "the fulfilled promise" you claim was made by someone.
If you are talking about "dying for our sins" - well that sort of went by the wayside, don't you think? Especially when there is still sin in the world.
OR maybe you are referring to the fulfilled promise if Jesus died it would wipe away all the sins of the world. Well - as you can see - that didn't happen either.
Maybe, just amybe you are speaking on the fulfilled promise Jesus made that would allow people who do die, be allowed into heaven. Well - if this promise was made, it cannot be confirmed at all, UNTIL ONE DIES - so the "promise" you refer to is actually just a gesture of good faith by Jesus towards humans that would die after he.
There you go - you have multiple choices to clarify on what you mean.
BUt since you aren't a New Age Spiritual Leader - you couldn't figure this out for yourself, and had to talk down to me, in order for you to express yourself?
Yeah right KM - don't be so childish in your thinking, and maybe, you just may begin to better understand that which you do not - namely Jesus.
Um,'spiritual leader', you are confusing the Jewish faith with the Christian faith...

Get back to me when you learn the difference.

Smile.

Location hidden

#235404 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
They aren't rejected by "God"....so please don't start speaking for "God" - especially when "He" inspires EVERYONE.
Do you have something that states "He" did reject them?
Whatcha got KM?"
*snickers*
Are you referring to those voices in your head?

Why do you keep trying to shift from your challenge???

I don't argue faith with faithless 'spiritual leaders'. If you want to discuss what the most accepted words of God are, the Bible, fine. Otherwise, man up and admit you don't know what you are talking about.

SMile.

Location hidden

#235405 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
BTW - I didn't ask for a "Bible verse" I asked:
"Where does Jesus call himself 'God'?......NOT - "Where does someone else call Jesus 'God'?" - as you wanted my post to say and clearly indicated in this post.
It didn't - so you are incorrect. You don't have a reading comprehension problem, do you?
And I quoted a verse where Jesus, not someone else, said when you see Jesus, you see the Father.

Now, you have every right to put those voices in your head over what the Bible says. Everyone else has every right to think you need to be committed...

Snicker smile.

Albuquerque, NM

#235406 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
No - the quote you supplied from GoJohn has Jesus talking about how his "spirit" is like the Father's - all the while with instructing the crowd - clearly - he is not his Father...and that when his followers die, he "is like his Father" and they will follow him as well.

You failed to include the context of the passage and of the book it came from:

John 10:24-30
New International Version (NIV)

24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying,“How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

25 Jesus answered,“I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[a]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

Why do you continue to mislead yourself and others?

Albuquerque, NM

#235407 Aug 26, 2014

"the fulfilled promise" - as you state.....
And what is that?
<quoted text>
I think I would like to know, but I asked just to make sure you and I were going to be talking about the same thing.
As I figured, I somehow realized that you wouldn't post it outright, but would have to add your only literary comments to the post - all without posting to my question.
Are you afraid of something if you had?
C'mon KM - be clear in your retort....what is "the fulfilled promise" you claim was made by someone.
If you are talking about "dying for our sins" - well that sort of went by the wayside, don't you think? Especially when there is still sin in the world.
OR maybe you are referring to the fulfilled promise if Jesus died it would wipe away all the sins of the world. Well - as you can see - that didn't happen either.
Maybe, just amybe you are speaking on the fulfilled promise Jesus made that would allow people who do die, be allowed into heaven. Well - if this promise was made, it cannot be confirmed at all, UNTIL ONE DIES - so the "promise" you refer to is actually just a gesture of good faith by Jesus towards humans that would die after he.
There you go - you have multiple choices to clarify on what you mean.
BUt since you aren't a New Age Spiritual Leader - you couldn't figure this out for yourself, and had to talk down to me, in order for you to express yourself?
Yeah right KM - don't be so childish in your thinking, and maybe, you just may begin to better understand that which you do not - namely Jesus.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um,'spiritual leader', you are confusing the Jewish faith with the Christian faith...
Get back to me when you learn the difference.
Smile.
No I am not. I understand quite clearly the OT is of Jewish origin and the NT of later Jewish converts.

Your diversion is an indicator that you choose not to answer, as it will incriminate your belief.

I understand - you are not the first so-called "Christian" that has refused to be honest with men, and then try to turn it around and back on me.

"Homey - don't play that way."

Albuquerque, NM

#235408 Aug 26, 2014

They aren't rejected by "God"....so please don't start speaking for "God" - especially when "He" inspires EVERYONE.
Do you have something that states "He" did reject them?
Whatcha got KM?"
*snickers*
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to those voices in your head?
No I am referring to a question that no so-called "Christian" is faithful enough to answer using honesty and truthfulness.....

Where does "God" specifically state which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not. Right now, all of Christianity has assumed that men had this ability, and only read texts written by men.

Unless.....you can provide specific statement by "God"" that shows otherwise.

This is the challenge you try to put back onto me.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you keep trying to shift from your challenge???
I'm not shifting at all.......but you sure seem to be avoiding it like ebola.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>I don't argue faith with faithless 'spiritual leaders'. If you want to discuss what the most accepted words of God are, the Bible, fine.

Diversion.

Just can't admit that you don't know, huh? So you instead try and pin the failure on another.

Some "Christian" you turned out to be......why are you being dishonest?
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Otherwise, man up and admit you don't know what you are talking about.
SMile.
Oh - I know very well what I am talking about.....but you wouldn't know what it is to be a man, huh? You can't even be honest when answering others.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#235409 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you want Jesus' words. Okay.
Jesus said; "Your father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad."
The people said, "You aren't even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?"
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!"4
===
Jesus also said; "I and the Father are one"
Better?
How do you know Jesus said that?

Albuquerque, NM

#235410 Aug 26, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you want Jesus' words. Okay.
Jesus said; "Your father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad."
The people said, "You aren't even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?"
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!"4
===
Jesus also said; "I and the Father are one"
Better?
Are you near the monitor SF? Good - now read this slowly and clearly to yourself.....

Supposedly - the "spirit" is eternal....thus Jesus' spirit would also be classified in this category....you know as eternal.....thus....Jesus' spirit was "before Moses".

There I explained yet another errant theological expression that so-called "Christians" think as being literally true.

Do you still want to continue on this? Or shall you just let it go and know you have been incorrect in your thinking of what was stated in this passage?

Never mind - believe as you choose....you will anyways, huh?

Self.

Albuquerque, NM

#235411 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And I quoted a verse where Jesus, not someone else, said when you see Jesus, you see the Father.
Now, you have every right to put those voices in your head over what the Bible says. Everyone else has every right to think you need to be committed...
Snicker smile.
With you admitting that you accept a second source as the scribe of Jesus, why don't you believe these other scribes (original Apostles)?

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/dialog.html
The Dialogue of the Saviour

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gop.html
The Gospel of Philip

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
The Gospel of Thomas

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/sjc.html
The Sophia of Jesus Christ

You either are a hypocrite towards Jesus - or just human and refute to believe in what Jesus taught.

Which is it?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235412 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
You do realize that these qualifiers you pointed out as errors with the Jesus Seminar.....
....can also be applied to the Council of Nicea in 325 CE when a group of individuals first decided on what texts are to be included in the Bible and which are not to be...
- Use of a flawed voting system
- Ignoring evidence for eschatological teachings of Jesus
- Creating a Jesus based on the presuppositions of the members
You bias has caused you to fall short of complete information and then failed to compare it to existing historical content.
Don't you find it a bit odd that you will cut down the modern scholars for their efforts in trying to resolve this 2000 year old mystery, but you won't do this for those individuals from 1800+ years ago?
Like I said - you have included bias in your retort - which should be unbiased and factual.
Why do the followers of Christianity find it very difficult to be honest with others?
Your partner in crime “CunningLinguist,” has made it clear that Atheism is a higher order. According to him Atheist are far more intelligent than people of faith.

As a member of this higher order of intelligence he references this Jesus Seminar conducted by a bunch of misfits and nobodies (losers). Proudly posting their results based a infantile childish voting system of using colored beads.

I’m not aware of any scientific entity anywhere in the world that uses a puerile colored bead voting system. Yet your buddy “Cunning Linguiest,” believed so much in this band of oddballs that he proudly posted their results right here on topix.

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me. In one breath you are telling us how smart you are and in the next you proudly believe a group of hippies that are sitting in a circle smoking weed and voting on Jesus with colored beads.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235413 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
I think your comparison lacks legitimacy, because GoThomas meets all of your criteria, yet you blatantly refuse to accept it.
Face the facts - you believe men and what those men presented to you. You chose to accept those words......and knowing you have, you blatantly refuse anything which other men supposedly wrote when Jesus taught.
Your attempt failed again.
Try being more honest next time.
Thank you,

I appreciate your frustration as a result of your teams repeated failures. Always remember you have the right to abandon your flawed position. You don’t have to stay there and get repeatedly beset. Atheism is a religion of hopelessness and that is what you are feeling this very moment.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235414 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
With you admitting that you accept a second source as the scribe of Jesus, why don't you believe these other scribes (original Apostles)?
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/dialog.html
The Dialogue of the Saviour
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gop.html
The Gospel of Philip
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
The Gospel of Thomas
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/sjc.html
The Sophia of Jesus Christ
You either are a hypocrite towards Jesus - or just human and refute to believe in what Jesus taught.
Which is it?
Interesting first link. Do you understand what is being said?

Look at it from a strictly material view, meaning physics. I have posted quite a bit about it in my "alternative" physics discussions.

Jesus was a scientist. Started out watching trees grow.

Or something like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min Thinking 6,720
introvert and an atheist 12 min 10uhsee 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr thetruth 2,107
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr thetruth 18,906
News .com | What hope is there without God? 5 hr Thinking 6
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 22 hr spellmeout 14,657
News Confessions of a black atheist Tue thetruth 478
More from around the web