Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256546 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Patrick

United States

#235558 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Abolitionism started long before Lincoln. BTW, he was a politician. Sensitive guy to politics.
There is a certain disconnection issue with your logic and thought processes.
So, how is the view from your orbiting of Uranus? See anything of interest?
Abolitionist movement had Atheists,Unitarians and Christians united in the cause.
John Quincy Adams back in the House fought slavery
Peace
Patrick

United States

#235559 Aug 27, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as this alleged meeting “Deputation of Free Negroes” is concerned. There are many qualified historians that are far more qualified to weigh in on this matter than little ole me.
But this I shall say, Abraham Lincoln was one of the most courageous presidents to have taken on the issue of slavery in the United States. So strong was his conviction it divided a entire nation. And as he so elegantly stated in the Gettysburg address:
“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.“
Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863
Agree - thanks for the post!
Peace

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235560 Aug 27, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Abolitionist movement had Atheists,Unitarians and Christians united in the cause.
John Quincy Adams back in the House fought slavery
Peace
I have a suspicion it was the numbers and clout of the Christians that carried the day.
Patrick

United States

#235561 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a suspicion it was the numbers and clout of the Christians that carried the day.
The Abolitionists . American Experience . WGBH | PBS trends to back this up !
--

Tonight PBS will premier it's new installment of the great series, American Experience. "The Abolitionists" will be presented in five parts. From the PBS website:

"Radicals. Agitators. Troublemakers. Liberators. Called by many names, the abolitionists tore the nation apart in order to make a more perfect union. Men and women, black and white, Northerners and Southerners, poor and wealthy, these passionate anti-slavery activists fought body and soul in the most important civil rights crusade in American history. What began as a pacifist movement fueled by persuasion and prayer became a fiery and furious struggle that forever changed the nation.
Bringing to life the intertwined stories of Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, Angelina Grimké, Harriet Beecher Stowe and John Brown, The Abolitionists takes place during some of the most violent and contentious decades in American history, amid white-hot religious passions that set souls on fire, and bitter debates over the meaning of the Constitution and the nature of race. The documentary reveals how the movement shaped history by exposing the fatal flaw of a republic founded on liberty for some and bondage for others, setting the nation on a collision course. In the face of personal risks -- beatings, imprisonment, even death -- abolitionists held fast to their cause, laying the civil rights groundwork for the future and raising weighty constitutional and moral questions that are with us still."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/fi...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#235562 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I missed the quote you posted where he killed it.
Could you direct me to it?
I did just read that figs are best cultivated by grafting and such. The seeds don't breed true, but can be used to start new cultivars. I think female fig trees are the ones you eat the fruit of?
You're being disingenuous.

It's in Matt's version of the same story, starting at 21:19.(Luke and John seem to have had urgent business in the South...)

"Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered."

And figs managed to propagate themselves just fine without grafting for maybe 80 million years. Of COURSE seed from grafted plants won't breed true! Ever tried to grow an edible orange from a pip?
Believer

United States

#235563 Aug 27, 2014
In the beginning ,God , created the heavens and the earth !!!!
Now I know I am not the best speller in the world and get ridiculed for that sometimes !!!
But let's understand the bigger picture!
We've hard hard you can't get something from nothing !
Atheists claim this is the case and ridicule believers with faith that their is in fact God!!

United States

#235564 Aug 27, 2014
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Churc...

Someone find me another anti-slavery movement from history that went beyond geo-political boundaries.

United States

#235565 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You're being disingenuous.
It's in Matt's version of the same story, starting at 21:19.(Luke and John seem to have had urgent business in the South...)
"Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered."
And figs managed to propagate themselves just fine without grafting for maybe 80 million years. Of COURSE seed from grafted plants won't breed true! Ever tried to grow an edible orange from a pip?
So, he had the power to wither a tree with a word. Is that what you are saying?

Impressive.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235566 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As a physical consciousness you are a slave to the environment you exist in. You react to it in order to survive. It has forces that shape your "decisions". That is hard core physics and evolution.
Do you disagree with that?
Yes - some of it.

I am not a slave to the environment, because I can change my environment. But you'll probably be like Buck and start to state "it is still an environment".

Blah-blah-blah. That would be his perception.....limited one at best.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Tis a very large universe, and I suspect you can't really see what is headed your way in it.
Sure I can. I am psychic. In fact - there has been many times that I've stated something - EXACTLY as someone was thinking of it, but had yet said it.

I also seem to have this ability to win at different things - contests, games, and daily tasks that seem to be futile.

;o)

Yep - I must have an ability that others don't have.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Now, do you still believe you are in control of your destiny?
Yep.

Can you prove I am not?
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235567 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Abolitionism started long before Lincoln. BTW, he was a politician. Sensitive guy to politics.
There is a certain disconnection issue with your logic and thought processes.
So, how is the view from your orbiting of Uranus? See anything of interest?
The disconnect is you Dave you still believe in fairies. Grow up.

Your body may be mature but your mind is quite immature.

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and I believe you are very misguided tormented by religious dogma.

Recommend AESOPs fables as a primer.
It is much better reading than your book and actually makes sense.

Your Bible consists entirely of hearsay evidence.
It is as Useless as an ashtray on a bicycle.

But then again you have no evidence; you call your evidence 'faith'.
Revelation replaces investigation.

So sad that
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235568 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You're being disingenuous.
Don't bring up Matt Dave...

Every Christian Religion on the planet has failed to follow Matthew 6.6

Reminder of your abject failure
Matthew 6:6

The Bible is by some measures the world’s most popular christian manual. It is also shameless—a grotesque compendium of sensational ridiculous stories, unverified viral memes, anonymously sourced goatherder gossip, thinly veiled sexism, and hypocritical moralizing.

Here is Matthew routinely ignored for centuries and churches constructed.

And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.

Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.

But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Now explain why churches exist.
Is it going to fall back on interpretation?
Or are you using your closet as instructed?
--< controllable laughter>

Is it any wonder we laugh at your mythology?

Q. What's the difference between Jesus and a painting?
A. It takes only one nail to hang a painting.

Q. What did the Roman soldiers say to Christ as they were nailing him to the cross?
A. Cross your legs we only have one nail left"

Jesus walks into a hotel, tosses three nails on the front desk and says,
"Hey, can you put me up for the night?"

Overheard on the way to Calvary
"Drop that cross one more time and you are out of the parade"!

Easter has been cancelled... they found the body. Details @ 11pm

Surely thy God can take a joke, or can she?
I'm certain no lightning bolt will strike me, do you worry you'll get hit again by one!
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235569 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki /Catholic_Church_and_slavery
Someone find me another anti-slavery movement from history that went beyond geo-political boundaries.
Why don't you do your own research you could actually learn something
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235570 Aug 27, 2014
Adventures in religion 1

Souls n Such

We have a baby who unfortunately died, say, one day after birth.

For those who believe in souls and an afterlife, what will happen to this baby's soul?

Roman Catholics were really stumped by this, and for centuries maintained that the baby's soul would go to "Limbo" which is/was the abode of just or innocent souls that were excluded from heaven, but not consigned to hell. They've since cancelled Limbo, which leaves you wondering about all its millions of inhabitants.

Hmmm. Hope they're okay. Giggles

Protestants generally had no answer at all for un-baptized babies and said that "God will work it out."

Well, if that's true, why bother with baptism to begin with?

Why not just let God work it out?

For those who believe in reincarnation, there's really no problem with infant deaths. Their souls will be on their way to a new life a tad early, to be sure, but on their way nevertheless.

United States

#235571 Aug 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes - some of it.
I am not a slave to the environment, because I can change my environment. But you'll probably be like Buck and start to state "it is still an environment".
Blah-blah-blah. That would be his perception.....limited one at best.
<quoted text>
Sure I can. I am psychic. In fact - there has been many times that I've stated something - EXACTLY as someone was thinking of it, but had yet said it.
I also seem to have this ability to win at different things - contests, games, and daily tasks that seem to be futile.
;o)
Yep - I must have an ability that others don't have.
<quoted text>
Yep.
Can you prove I am not?
:-)

I don't have to prove. Something else will in due time.

The lotus eaters and the people the Morelocks fed shared much the same philosophy and existential view you do. The rest of us, including Ulysses, just seek shelter from the storm.

BTW, it was fortunate for the lotus eaters that Ulysses wasn't a cannibal, eh? He might never have left and braved the hazards to get back home again.

United States

#235572 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
The disconnect is you Dave you still believe in fairies. Grow up.
Your body may be mature but your mind is quite immature.
You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and I believe you are very misguided tormented by religious dogma.
Recommend AESOPs fables as a primer.
It is much better reading than your book and actually makes sense.
Your Bible consists entirely of hearsay evidence.
It is as Useless as an ashtray on a bicycle.
But then again you have no evidence; you call your evidence 'faith'.
Revelation replaces investigation.
So sad that
Hey, sissy boy, you never got back to me about those questions I asked a few days ago.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#235573 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bring up Matt Dave...
Every Christian Religion on the planet has failed to follow Matthew 6.6
Reminder of your abject failure
The Bible is by some measures the world’s most popular christian manual. It is also shameless—a grotesque compendium of sensational ridiculous stories, unverified viral memes, anonymously sourced goatherder gossip, thinly veiled sexism, and hypocritical moralizing.
Here is Matthew routinely ignored for centuries and churches constructed.
And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.
But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Now explain why churches exist.
Is it going to fall back on interpretation?
Or are you using your closet as instructed?
--< controllable laughter>
Is it any wonder we laugh at your mythology?
Q. What's the difference between Jesus and a painting?
A. It takes only one nail to hang a painting.
Q. What did the Roman soldiers say to Christ as they were nailing him to the cross?
A. Cross your legs we only have one nail left"
Jesus walks into a hotel, tosses three nails on the front desk and says,
"Hey, can you put me up for the night?"
Overheard on the way to Calvary
"Drop that cross one more time and you are out of the parade"!
Easter has been cancelled... they found the body. Details @ 11pm
Surely thy God can take a joke, or can she?
I'm certain no lightning bolt will strike me, do you worry you'll get hit again by one!
"And then God said: http://tinyurl.com/l5o6jef
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235574 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you do your own research you could actually learn something
Agnosticism & Atheism is the religion of hopelessness.

This is why there are so few charities in the name of Agnosticism -Atheism.

The religion that promotes it’s hopeless message while decrying those that promote benevolence, hope, love.
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235575 Aug 27, 2014
Believer wrote:
In the beginning ,God , created the heavens and the earth !!!!
Now I know I am not the best speller in the world and get ridiculed for that sometimes !!!
But let's understand the bigger picture!
We've hard hard you can't get something from nothing !
Atheists claim this is the case and ridicule believers with faith that their is in fact God!!
Unbeliever

If anyone with a decent background in natural science who undertakes an impartial but critical look at the first chapter of Genesis should have no trouble denouncing its claims as complete rubbish.

At best, the author has offered a poorly constructed allegory for the creation of the universe; at worst, and far more plausible, Genesis 1 is a total fabrication.

The why... the creation account in the opening chapter fails miserably to be scientifically accurate.

Early in the creation, God allegedly separated the waters into two distinct bodies so that land could appear between them. He called the water below seas and the water above sky, which he presumably held aloft by the use of a firmament (Verses 6-10).

It reinforces the aforementioned idea of a sky ocean because a solid protective layer would be required to suspend the water if there truly were an ocean above us as the Bible suggests.
It complements the known widespread primitive beliefs.

Take the mindset of an ancient Hebrew for a moment by ignoring any contemporary understanding you have of the world.

You can glance at the sky above and observe that it’s the color of water, while, periodically, water falls from above.

With no further evidence to consider and no further understanding of this phenomenon, the perfectly logical conclusion would be that there’s a mass of water in the sky. If this is true, it certainly follows that a solid body, a firmament, would be necessary to contain this oceanic reservoir. Perhaps windows even open in the firmament to allow rainfall (Genesis 8:2).

Although the pursuit of knowledge has proven these outdated beliefs untrue, we are far richer in scientific understanding than our Hebrew predecessors and should not scoff at the author for his proposal.

We now know that the sky is blue due to the scattering of a particular wavelength of light passing through the atmosphere at a certain angle, not because there’s an ocean in the sky. While we cannot fault the author for believing this ancient hypothesis, we can conclude that his guess on the properties of the sky was incorrect.

Already, a critical analysis has demonstrated the Bible to be scientifically inaccurate and undeniably imperfect.

So sad that
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235576 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text> "And then God said: http://tinyurl.com/l5o6jef
Good one!

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse were in divorce court and the judge said to Mickey, "You say here that your wife is crazy." Mickey replied, "No I didn't. I said she is f**king Goofy."
--
Saint Peter wanted a day off, so he asked Jesus to cover for him on Pearly Gates duty. Jesus asked, "how do I do that?" Peter replied, "It's easy. Ask each supplicant why he or she wants admission to Heaven. You can usually tell from their response what your decision should be."

So Peter takes his holiday and Jesus works the Pearly Gates gig. And as predicted, it turns out to be fairly easy. Busy, but nothing too complicated. Finally Jesus is down to the last potential angel, a strangely familiar older man.

Jesus asks him, "My son, why do you wish to be allowed into Heaven?"

The old man was silent for a long moment. He sighed deeply, looked up at Jesus and slowly said,

"I never had a child of my own. But for a short time, I was blessed with a miraculous boy whom I raised as if he was my own son. He was taken from me far too soon and my life was never the same. That is why I want to get into Heaven, to see my long lost son one more time. That's all I ask."

As Jesus listens, the feeling of recognition keeps getting stronger and finally, overcome with emotion, Christ tearfully exclaims, "Father???"

To which the man excitedly replies, "Pinocchio???"
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235577 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, sissy boy, you never got back to me about those questions I asked a few days ago.
I see we have another kimare with the word sissy as is that word would mean something to an adult.

It's a Juvenile response from a juvenile mind, Dave

Reply with something of interest or I will dismiss you as I do others that I find boring, reality challenged, allergic to truth, and thus pointless to 'reply to'.

I do find enjoyment in replying sarcastically about people I've dismissed with others.:-/

Why just the mention of their name drives them into a fit !
Pure entertainment for me.
The more venomous the better it makes it all the more funny., And it displays the horrid characteristics of these people. They embarrass themselves publicly.

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.

I am an equal opportunity skeptic.

I find all religions to be nothing more than superstition.

I post my opinion and comment.
I have no agenda to pursue.

Enjoy your faith if brings you happiness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min thetruth 43,139
A Universe from Nothing? 5 min Into The Night 463
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 min thetruth 10,048
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 6 min thetruth 4,818
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 7 min thetruth 66
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 9 min thetruth 345
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 10 min thetruth 797
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Thinking 18,492
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr hpcaban 3,831
News Why I quit atheism 12 hr Thinking 694
More from around the web