Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Patrick

United States

#235536 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do!
You always give the devil two black eyes eaglet!
Unfortunately there is no devil.
Topical question for you eagle...
Who freed the slaves was it Lincoln or was it John Wilkes Booth?
One large says you get it wrong!
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.... Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze." :-)- Keyser Soze
and bad coffee scares me a bit

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235537 Aug 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI - I don't believe in sin.
I also don't believe that mental thoughts are "sins of the flesh".....like so many others do.
I used a limited example of "sin" because that particular "sin" - original sin - is bogus and wanted to rile up so-called "Christians" with posting it.
I guess it had a smaller impact on you, huh?
Peace.
Your desire to "rile up" is interesting. Perhaps you should discuss it with a shrink.

Sin can only be that which is destructive to a creature's integrity as a physical being, which also includes the environment it exists in. This can be done through ignorance or just because they want to be mean, such as wanting to rile people up, which in itself is ignorance. Selfishness falls in there somewhere, too.

Didn't they teach you that shit in guru school?
Patrick

United States

#235538 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>

--Side Bar--
After the Emancipation Proclamation large numbers slaves migrated to Union Lines thus in effect freeing themselves. Historian James McPherson also posed the question who freed the slaves.

"McPherson readily conceded that slaves actively participated in their own emancipation. But Lincoln's role, McPherson argues, was even more central to the cause of freedom. In McPherson's words, Lincoln freed the slaves by:

!"Pronouncing slavery a moral evil that must come to an end and then winning the Presidency in 1860."

!"Provoking the South to secede."

!"Refusing to compromise on the issue of slavery's expansion, or Fort Sumter."

!"Knitting together a Unionist coalition [in] the first year of the war and committing to emancipation in the second."

!"Refusing to compromise this policy once he had adopted it."

!"Prosecuting the war to unconditional victory as commander-in-chief of the army of liberation."

http://socrates.bmcc.cuny.edu/bfriedheim/his2...

No going for freshly brewed coffee - Peace

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#235539 Aug 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Yes I do - "one in spirit".....
You do understand this, right?
No I don't understand that. That's what you say, not Jesus.

24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying,“How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered,“I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Where's the "one in spirit" part?

United States

#235540 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Not very well, it seems. He once cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season.
"12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree,“May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it." - Mark 11 - something.
A clearer thinker, of course, would have simply commanded the thing to bear fruit anyway - after all, that worked with those loaves and fishes, didn't it?
Or did it?
Sheesh.
Was it a curse or protecting the tree? People eat the fruit and the seeds go to waste. The tree was following nature. A good tree. If it bore fruit out of season something was wrong with it.

Try thinking deeper about things, Mac.

Glad the gators haven't got you yet.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#235541 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now...
When Dabbling in superstition virtually anything is possible.
Except God committing suicide!
Which I highly recommend.
I know, I know...

United States

#235542 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do!
You always give the devil two black eyes eaglet!
Unfortunately there is no devil.
One large says you get it wrong!
Christian abolitionists and the political pressure they exerted.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#235543 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it a curse or protecting the tree? People eat the fruit and the seeds go to waste. The tree was following nature. A good tree. If it bore fruit out of season something was wrong with it.
Try thinking deeper about things, Mac.
Glad the gators haven't got you yet.
Of course the seeds don't go to waste. That's how the tree propagates.

And killing it to save it? That's Tolkienesque.
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235544 Aug 27, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.... Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze." :-)- Keyser Soze
and bad coffee scares me a bit
Gr8t movie that

Spacy was terrific in that role.

Here's something of interest in the silence is deafening category

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/...

Where are the rioters and archers and out right thieves?
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235545 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian abolitionists and the political pressure they exerted.
David you took the bait check this out

On Aug. 14 1862, Abraham Lincoln hosted a "Deputation of Free Negroes" at the White House, led by the Rev. Joseph Mitchell, commissioner of emigration for the Interior Department. It was the first time African Americans had been invited to the White House on a policy matter. The five men were there to discuss a scheme that even a contemporary described as a "simply absurd" piece of "charlatanism": resettling emancipated slaves on a 10,000-acre parcel of land in present-day Panama.

Lincoln immediately began filibustering his guests with arguments so audacious that they retain the ability to shock a reader 150 years later. "You and we are different races," he began, and "have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races."

The African-American race suffered greatly, he continued, "by living among us, while ours suffers from your presence."

Lincoln went on to suggest, "But for your race among us, there could not be war," and "without the institution of Slavery and the colored race as a basis, the war could not have an existence." The only solution, he concluded, was "for us both ... to be separated."

A valid argument can be made that if not for the assassination of Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth, the slaves would be in Panama.

Google: Lincolns Panama Plan

Surprise surprise

We skeptics love this stuff

And, I noticed you commenting about the advance in Ferguson

One another eye-opener?

Where is the outrage?
For that matter the media?

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.

United States

#235546 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Of course the seeds don't go to waste. That's how the tree propagates.
And killing it to save it? That's Tolkienesque.
I guess I missed the quote you posted where he killed it.

Could you direct me to it?

I did just read that figs are best cultivated by grafting and such. The seeds don't breed true, but can be used to start new cultivars. I think female fig trees are the ones you eat the fruit of?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235547 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If the young man, all football lineman size accompanied by another man advanced on the policeman and possibly even pushed him back into the squad car, then the officer was definitely in fear of his life. It takes seconds for a raging bull to do some serious damage to the matador. Sword or no sword.
The young man had just exercised his physical superiority and will to break the law minutes before. His blood was up.
Let's wait for all the facts to come out, especially if there was physical injury to the officer.
I would have to agree that we don’t know all the facts including toxicology reports.

But on surface I don’t like the idea a unarmed young man lost his life because he was jaywalking.

This is going to be one of those interesting stories to follow. To be continued………………….

United States

#235548 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
On Aug. 14 1862, Abraham Lincoln hosted a "Deputation of Free Negroes" at the White House, led by the Rev. Joseph Mitchell, commissioner of emigration for the Interior Department. It was the first time African Americans had been invited to the White House on a policy matter. The five men were there to discuss a scheme that even a contemporary described as a "simply absurd" piece of "charlatanism": resettling emancipated slaves on a 10,000-acre parcel of land in present-day Panama.
Lincoln immediately began filibustering his guests with arguments so audacious that they retain the ability to shock a reader 150 years later. "You and we are different races," he began, and "have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races."
The African-American race suffered greatly, he continued, "by living among us, while ours suffers from your presence."
Lincoln went on to suggest, "But for your race among us, there could not be war," and "without the institution of Slavery and the colored race as a basis, the war could not have an existence." The only solution, he concluded, was "for us both ... to be separated."
A valid argument can be made that if not for the assassination of Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth, the slaves would be in Panama.
Surprise surprise
One another eye-opener?
Where is the outrage?
Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.
?

Abolitionism started long before Lincoln. BTW, he was a politician. Sensitive guy to politics.

There is a certain disconnection issue with your logic and thought processes.

So, how is the view from your orbiting of Uranus? See anything of interest?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235549 Aug 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You reached your conclusion without the facts.
That's what an investigation is for. If Wilson is found from the evidence to have committed manslaughter, then I agree he should go to prison.
I also believe he deserves the right to present the evidence that favors his side of the story, and as yet we don't know what that evidence is.
There are plausible scenarios in which is is guilty of no criminal act. What is the extent of his injury? Was his vision impaired from the blood and the battered eye socket? Did Brown charge him before the shots were fired as multiple witnesses say?
We do need to let justice run its course and all the facts come to the surface.

My heart goes out to this family that lost their son.

United States

#235550 Aug 27, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to agree that we don’t know all the facts including toxicology reports.
But on surface I don’t like the idea a unarmed young man lost his life because he was jaywalking.
This is going to be one of those interesting stories to follow. To be continued………………….
A normal jaywalking young man just gets out of the street when a cop tells him to. No reason to argue about it.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235551 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your desire to "rile up" is interesting. Perhaps you should discuss it with a shrink.
Sin can only be that which is destructive to a creature's integrity as a physical being, which also includes the environment it exists in. This can be done through ignorance or just because they want to be mean, such as wanting to rile people up, which in itself is ignorance. Selfishness falls in there somewhere, too.
Didn't they teach you that shit in guru school?
You are taking my posts too seriously.

No - I didn't even know there was a "guru school".....but thanks for thinking I attended one.

*shrugs*

"Sin can only be that which is destructive to a creature's integrity as a physical being, which also includes the environment it exists in."

New Age says:
If one were to dwell in sin, one will become that which they reside within.

So again - one has to participate in "sin" in order for it to be "tangible". I chose a long time ago to avoid crime, hate, and ignorance - so I decided to live a life in peace and kindness. "Sin" is symbolism brought into fear by men so others can be fearful.

Bullshite I tell you.

We choose what we do through free will - "sin" and/;or an "evil one" have nothing to do with it. People choose for themselves.....unless you think some god controls our actions. Do you?

If you do - I completely disagree with that thought, because no god has ever touched me, faced me head on, spoke to me, or even caused me to do something I didn't want to do on my own.

It's all a farce and so many people lie everyday on this topic alone. Are you one of those dishonest "Christians"?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235552 Aug 27, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't understand that. That's what you say, not Jesus.
24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying,“How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”
Jesus answered,“I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
Where's the "one in spirit" part?
"The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me,"
- confirms that Jesus is not "God".....but a separate entity.

"no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one."
- Jesus again clarifies he is not "God" - but has the same abilities as his "Father" (i.e."God")......thu s the same "spirit" is revealed as in use by Jesus.(this ability is an indicator of what type of being Jesus and "God" are - as "God" can snatch the supposed "spirit" and not flesh - because "no flesh can enter the kingdom of heaven")

I'm surprised at you RR - you should know this....as you do appear to have some knowledge based in religion. But you still question it. Why? I can tell you why - you refuse to believe in all of what Jesus taught.

If you had believed in all of his teachings, this topic would be old news for you.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235553 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Surprise surprise
One another eye-opener?
Where is the outrage?
As far as this alleged meeting “Deputation of Free Negroes” is concerned. There are many qualified historians that are far more qualified to weigh in on this matter than little ole me.

But this I shall say, Abraham Lincoln was one of the most courageous presidents to have taken on the issue of slavery in the United States. So strong was his conviction it divided a entire nation. And as he so elegantly stated in the Gettysburg address:

“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.“

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235554 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A normal jaywalking young man just gets out of the street when a cop tells him to. No reason to argue about it.
True, but I think Waytt Earp would have handled it different. Probably cold cocked the kid when he wasn’t looking then drag him off the street.

United States

#235555 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Abolitionism started long before Lincoln. BTW, he was a politician. Sensitive guy to politics.
There is a certain disconnection issue with your logic and thought processes.
So, how is the view from your orbiting of Uranus? See anything of interest?
Oh yeah, Andrew Johnson wasn't known as a big fan of black people. Uh, he took over Lincoln's spot.

The 13th amendment was passed before Lincoln died. The slaves were freed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min renee 35,041
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min woodtick57 20,092
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr superwilly 3,710
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr Thinking 155
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr ChristineM 14,939
There are no such things as gods or fairies 9 hr Amused 102
Majority of Scots now have no religion 9 hr Amused 163
More from around the web