Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239082 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#235069 Aug 21, 2014
Believer wrote:
Contrary to the atheist beliefs, God does exist !
We are living and breathing !
This did not begin with the "Big Bang Theory'!
So folks that choose not to believe , just remember one thing !
God created science !
Prove it.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235070 Aug 21, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I simply cannot take the Bible serious, eagle.
Not only Christianity but religions in general - this to me is all superstition and mythology.
Naturally, should one the bushes suddenly catch fire in my yard, I might take notice of a higher power, providing no natural calamity is evident and observable!
After all - I am an equal opportunity skeptic.
I for one respect and accept your right to believe as you will. I think nothing less of you as a person and will not debase you and call you names.

Many of the names of cities and places in the Bible are still there. For example thereís a real Jericho, Babylon, Egypt, Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Thereís a grave site in Hebron where Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, and Leah are all buried.

Just like thereís a real grave site where Abraham Lincoln and JFK lay. These people in the Bible were all real people just like our former Presidents. But again I will not deprive you of your right to believe as you wish.[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235071 Aug 21, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
That would require you to have sight. And you can not see.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235072 Aug 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I for one respect and accept your right to believe as you will. I think nothing less of you as a person and will not debase you and call you names.
Many of the names of cities and places in the Bible are still there. For example thereís a real Jericho, Babylon, Egypt, Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Thereís a grave site in Hebron where Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, and Leah are all buried.
Just like thereís a real grave site where Abraham Lincoln and JFK lay. These people in the Bible were all real people just like our former Presidents. But again I will not deprive you of your right to believe as you wish.[tipping hat]
I do enjoy a spirited conversation.
Like you, I have no agenda just opinions and comments.

Give this a look and then give me your opinion.
(4 minutes)

< shakes hand>
:-/

https://m.youtube.com/watch...

Did you ever wonder why the stars have Arabic names and the constellations Greek and Roman?

Location hidden

#235073 Aug 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That would require you to have sight. And you can not see.
Of course I can see...show me a god.
Patrick

United States

#235074 Aug 21, 2014
Most people on both sides of belief and non belief get along .
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235075 Aug 21, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I do enjoy a spirited conversation.
Like you, I have no agenda just opinions and comments.
Give this a look and then give me your opinion.
(4 minutes)
< shakes hand>
:-/
https://m.youtube.com/watch...
Did you ever wonder why the stars have Arabic names and the constellations Greek and Roman?
Sorry, I could not get your youtube link to work.

But to answer you question about why the stars have Arabic names and the constellations Greek and Roman?

I havenít even consider it or done any research into it. But a brief check shows that the stars have names in a mix of Latin, Greek and Arabic. And it is all tied into the civilizations and cultures that studied the stars in prior history.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#235076 Aug 21, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
If your eyes are open then look at the evidence of a God in the hummingbird.

Itís complexity, precision ability to hover to do what it does seemingly effortlessly. Even itís blood chemistry and ability to derive energy from nectar and maintain its extraordinary flight is genius. All evidence of a designer.

Their vision is also unparallel to none. I use to try and shoot them with a BB gun when I was a kid. They could see the BB coming at them in slow motion. They would simply move aside when the BB came near and then go back to taking in nectar. After repeated shots it didnít even scare them away.

That kind of flying didnít happen through mindless evolution or happenstance. That creature was designed.
Patrick

United States

#235077 Aug 21, 2014
Doubt that I have all the answers alas will listen with respect to other points of view

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235078 Aug 21, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

Brits and Aussies make up a large percentage of Topix atheists.

Perhaps that explains it.
religionisillnes s

London, UK

#235079 Aug 21, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
its already proven all religious liars have no evidence of god and are in denial about it.
religionisillnes s

London, UK

#235080 Aug 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I could not get your youtube link to work.
But to answer you question about why the stars have Arabic names and the constellations Greek and Roman?
I havenít even consider it or done any research into it. But a brief check shows that the stars have names in a mix of Latin, Greek and Arabic. And it is all tied into the civilizations and cultures that studied the stars in prior history.
Its because you're ignorant that you don't realise you have no evidence of the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about.
religionisillnes s

London, UK

#235081 Aug 21, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci encetech/article-2730791/Are-S TUPID-Britons-people-IQ-declin e.html
Creationist cult members have no business sharing their 'opinions' based on delusion.
religionisillnes s

London, UK

#235082 Aug 21, 2014
Patrick wrote:
Doubt that I have all the answers alas will listen with respect to other points of view
Since when have you EVER respected ANY facts whatsoever?
Whenever someone challenges your childish beliefs, you spam post some random news from the US like the cult sheep you are.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#235083 Aug 22, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci encetech/article-2730791/Are-S TUPID-Britons-people-IQ-declin e.html
Stick with the Asians, Dave's grandmother.

The top overall scores came from Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Macao and Japan, followed by Lichtenstein, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Estonia.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/0...

Location hidden

#235084 Aug 22, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If your eyes are open then look at the evidence of a God in the hummingbird.
Itís complexity, precision ability to hover to do what it does seemingly effortlessly. Even itís blood chemistry and ability to derive energy from nectar and maintain its extraordinary flight is genius. All evidence of a designer.
Their vision is also unparallel to none. I use to try and shoot them with a BB gun when I was a kid. They could see the BB coming at them in slow motion. They would simply move aside when the BB came near and then go back to taking in nectar. After repeated shots it didnít even scare them away.
That kind of flying didnít happen through mindless evolution or happenstance. That creature was designed.
You've shown no causal link between a hummingbird and a god.

You've said a hummingbird is complex, therefore there must be a god.

That's neither science nor proof - its just blind belief.

There is no proof that any god ever existed.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#235085 Aug 22, 2014
Christians have this faith that when they do die, there's a god who will judge, etc.
Don't Aethists have to have the same sort of faith that when they die, nothing will happen?
Because it's not like anyone actually knows what happens after you die. Christians claim Jesus raised from the dead, but Aethists just say death is death. So, aren't they both blind guesses? Isn't the same sort of faith required in order to believe in something where there is no real evidence or proof? Just an interesting thought....

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235086 Aug 22, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jewish culture.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235087 Aug 22, 2014
religionisillness wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist cult members have no business sharing their 'opinions' based on delusion.
Speaking of delusion and denial,'rational atheist' oxymorons have no explanation for the first verse of the Bible beating scientists about the big bang by 3500 years...

SMirk.

“nonpatris nonfilvs nonspiritus”

Since: Jul 14

Byzantium/Apocalypolis

#235088 Aug 22, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 31 min NoahLovesU 7,333
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 9 hr NoahLovesU 7,453
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 9 hr hpcaban 30
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 20 hr thetruth 101
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web