Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258047 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235128 Aug 22, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Is this man representative of America?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidal_Malik_Hasa...
I don't think so. I shall rise above your BS.
<quoted text>
By the way a most excellent rebuttal on your part.[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235129 Aug 22, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Is this man representative of America?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidal_Malik_Hasa...
I don't think so. I shall rise above your BS.
<quoted text>
Everyone, attention please....... Let us make a toast to our good friends the Brits....

Here, here, cheers to the Union Jack!!!
Thinking

Winsford, UK

#235130 Aug 22, 2014
No worries. That was a horrible beheading. Let's hope it really hurts the islamic state's cause. I shall assume your rant wasn't in favour of their fight for indepence.:)

UK guesstimates 340 passport holders are fighting in Syria, France about 400, Belgium about 300, Germany 240 according to Channel 4 News tonight. The IS propaganda machine wants to give airtime to these people, because, as you demonstrated in your post above, it gets our attention.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way a most excellent rebuttal on your part.[tipping hat]
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235131 Aug 22, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I could not get your youtube link to work.
But to answer you question about why the stars have Arabic names and the constellations Greek and Roman?
I haven’t even consider it or done any research into it. But a brief check shows that the stars have names in a mix of Latin, Greek and Arabic. And it is all tied into the civilizations and cultures that studied the stars in prior history.
Correct - Arab culture and science flourished and then suddenly stopped somewhere around 400 and it's been stopoed ever since.

After all we have Arabic numbers we have algebra these came from those muslim scholars.

Try in YT search on this.

Note this is not an attack, but rather a great description of our galaxy.

'Intelligent Design is Stupid: Neil deGrasse Tyson'
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235132 Aug 22, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct - Arab culture and science flourished and then suddenly stopped somewhere around 400 and it's been stopoed ever since.
After all we have Arabic numbers we have algebra these came from those muslim scholars.
Try in YT search on this.
Note this is not an attack, but rather a great description of our galaxy.
'Intelligent Design is Stupid: Neil deGrasse Tyson'
“Intelligent design is stupid?”

I wonder what the Wright brothers, Orville & Wilbur would have to say about that?

After all they intelligently designed the very first airplane and we have been flying ever since.

And for the record they were Christians. Fitting I would say, the first inventors of the airplane believed in God. And few inventions have had so far reaching implications as the first flying machine. From there we went to the moon and beyond.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#235133 Aug 22, 2014
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine ,
You fail to realize you can't prove he don't exist !
Of course we can

www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm

Now spread the word,,we don't need anymore religitards in this world
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#235134 Aug 22, 2014
Before we can discuss the existence of a thing, we must define it. Christians have endowed their God with all of the following attributes: He is eternal, all-powerful, and created everything. He created all the laws of nature and can change anything by an act of will. He is all-good, all-loving, and perfectly just. He is a personal God who experiences all of the emotions a human does. He is all-knowing. He sees everything past and future.
God's creation was originally perfect, but humans, by disobeying him, brought imperfection into the world. Humans are evil and sinful, and must suffer in this world because of their sinfulness. God gives humans the opportunity to accept forgiveness for their sin, and all who do will be rewarded with eternal bliss in heaven, but while they are on earth, they must suffer for his sake. All humans who choose not to accept this forgiveness must go to hell and be tormented for eternity.

One Bible verse which Christians are fond of quoting says that atheists are fools. I intend to show that the above concepts of God are completely incompatible and so reveal the impossibility of all of them being true. Who is the fool? The fool is the one who believes impossible things and calls them divine mysteries.

Perfection Seeks Even More Perfection

What did God do during that eternity before he created everything? If God was all that existed back then, what disturbed the eternal equilibrium and compelled him to create? Was he bored? Was he lonely? God is supposed to be perfect. If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else. We humans engage in activities because we are pursuing that elusive perfection, because there is disequilibrium caused by a difference between what we are and what we want to be. If God is perfect, there can be no disequilibrium. There is nothing he needs, nothing he desires, and nothing he must or will do. A God who is perfect does nothing except exist. A perfect creator God is impossible.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#235135 Aug 22, 2014
The Christians' objection to this argument involves freewill. They say that a being must have freewill to be happy. The omnibenevolent God did not wish to create robots, so he gave humans freewill to enable them to experience love and happiness. But the humans used this freewill to choose evil, and introduced imperfection into God's originally perfect universe. God had no control over this decision, so the blame for our imperfect universe is on the humans, not God.

Here is why the argument is weak. First, if God is omnipotent, then the assumption that freewill is necessary for happiness is false. If God could make it a rule that only beings with freewill may experience happiness, then he could just as easily have made it a rule that only robots may experience happiness. The latter option is clearly superior, since perfect robots will never make decisions which could render them or their creator unhappy, whereas beings with freewill could. A perfect and omnipotent God who creates beings capable of ruining their own happiness is impossible.

Second, even if we were to allow the necessity of freewill for happiness, God could have created humans with freewill who did not have the ability to choose evil, but to choose between several good options.
Third, God supposedly has freewill, and yet he does not make imperfect decisions. If humans are miniature images of God, our decisions should likewise be perfect. Also, the occupants of heaven, who presumably must have freewill to be happy, will never use that freewill to make imperfect decisions. Why would the originally perfect humans do differently?

The point remains: the presence of imperfections in the universe disproves the supposed perfection of its creator.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#235136 Aug 22, 2014
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine ,
You fail to realize you can't prove he don't exist !
Of course we can

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235137 Aug 22, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
Before we can discuss the existence of a thing, we must define it. Christians have endowed their God with all of the following attributes: He is eternal, all-powerful, and created everything. He created all the laws of nature and can change anything by an act of will. He is all-good, all-loving, and perfectly just. He is a personal God who experiences all of the emotions a human does. He is all-knowing. He sees everything past and future.
God's creation was originally perfect, but humans, by disobeying him, brought imperfection into the world. Humans are evil and sinful, and must suffer in this world because of their sinfulness. God gives humans the opportunity to accept forgiveness for their sin, and all who do will be rewarded with eternal bliss in heaven, but while they are on earth, they must suffer for his sake. All humans who choose not to accept this forgiveness must go to hell and be tormented for eternity.
One Bible verse which Christians are fond of quoting says that atheists are fools. I intend to show that the above concepts of God are completely incompatible and so reveal the impossibility of all of them being true. Who is the fool? The fool is the one who believes impossible things and calls them divine mysteries.
Perfection Seeks Even More Perfection
What did God do during that eternity before he created everything? If God was all that existed back then, what disturbed the eternal equilibrium and compelled him to create? Was he bored? Was he lonely? God is supposed to be perfect. If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else. We humans engage in activities because we are pursuing that elusive perfection, because there is disequilibrium caused by a difference between what we are and what we want to be. If God is perfect, there can be no disequilibrium. There is nothing he needs, nothing he desires, and nothing he must or will do. A God who is perfect does nothing except exist. A perfect creator God is impossible.
I welcome your dialog and you do bring up an interesting question about God. All intelligent beings which include advance life forms require some kind of interaction. Interaction with other advanced life forms or interaction with its environment.

Imagine yourself in solitary confinement with no one to talk to and nothing to do. How long will it take you to go completely stark mad? A intelligent being will begin to explore and create something to interact with. If you will notice while traveling the intelligent people are always busy keeping their mind active.

I disagree with your statement if something is perfect it is complete. One can have the perfect automobile, fully functional and nothing wrong with it. Perfection we could say but it’s not complete until it has a road to travel upon and a competent driver to drive it.

Now does the above scenario mean the car is not perfect? The car is perfect but not complete until it has the road and the driver. Now back to our discussion on God. God above all things is an intelligent being. Why would an intelligent being sit in a rocking chair and just stare into the empty vastness of space?

All intelligent beings are going to create, engineer, build, experiment, and explore. Unintelligent mass remains dormant and uncreative. So why would God who is perfect bother to create? Because he is a intelligent being. And there’s no disequilibrium in that.
CunningLinguist

Umatilla, FL

#235138 Aug 22, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Intelligent design is stupid?”
I wonder what the Wright brothers, Orville & Wilbur would have to say about that?
After all they intelligently designed the very first airplane and we have been flying ever since.
And for the record they were Christians. Fitting I would say, the first inventors of the airplane believed in God. And few inventions have had so far reaching implications as the first flying machine. From there we went to the moon and beyond.
You didn't watch the video Eagle
You missed the point entirely

But I do enjoy your commentary you are pleasant time to chat with.

A rarity in these forums.
:-)
Believing

United States

#235139 Aug 22, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course we can
Yellow Dawg Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
<.snicker!.> I see that you have gotten so tired of having your posterior kicked up between your shoulder blades that you are sneaking back under your porch without yipping anything!_8-)
Do tell us again about that car "fleeing"! LOL
Or that carload of illegals driving! LOL

He was a former Catholic, just like Stalin & Hilter.
Are you a proponent of "once saved always saved"? Cuz if you are, many Topix Atheists! will want to have words with you.

Jesus loves you
This I know
Cause the bible
Tells me so
You are weak
And he is strong
Seek forgiveness
We don't have long
Cheers
Dan Norton From Smithville
Patrick

United States

#235140 Aug 22, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Wright brothers, Orville & Wilbur are credited or is it Gustave Whitehead?

A good subject for research over a steaming good cup of java.

As Coffee Greets Suager Cane

Clucking in the barnyard awaits the dawn
With the smooth raucous of morning.
Sheep dogs rise, stretch and yawn
While expecting the morning meal.
The horses lazily doze in the stables.

As the sun slowly breaks over the maples
Life begins to stir within the farm house.
Eggs begin grazing in bacon grease
And dough is rolled out with care.
The radio crackles forth to release
The forecast of upcoming rain.
All seems quite normal in the world
As the coffee greets sugar cane.

Soon the peaceful rise gives way to chores.
The sensible labors of farm life
Begin to be attended to without much lore.
The eggs are gathered and feed is laid.
The dogs get their meat and the horses wake.
The farm hands ride out to gather the sheep.
And the world is left to its small take
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235141 Aug 22, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Wright brothers, Orville & Wilbur are credited or is it Gustave Whitehead?
A good subject for research over a steaming good cup of java.
As Coffee Greets Suager Cane
Clucking in the barnyard awaits the dawn
With the smooth raucous of morning.
Sheep dogs rise, stretch and yawn
While expecting the morning meal.
The horses lazily doze in the stables.
As the sun slowly breaks over the maples
Life begins to stir within the farm house.
Eggs begin grazing in bacon grease
And dough is rolled out with care.
The radio crackles forth to release
The forecast of upcoming rain.
All seems quite normal in the world
As the coffee greets sugar cane.
Soon the peaceful rise gives way to chores.
The sensible labors of farm life
Begin to be attended to without much lore.
The eggs are gathered and feed is laid.
The dogs get their meat and the horses wake.
The farm hands ride out to gather the sheep.
And the world is left to its small take
I was not aware of this controversy. Whitehead must have been furious that he didn’t get the formal recognition. Somewhere along the line he failed to garner the headlines and the Wright Brothers did.

But if I remember right the US Army showed a interest in the Wright Brothers aircraft and nothing was ever said about Mr. Whitehead. So history certainly didn’t fall on his side at least until it was too late.

Two thumbs up on the poem!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235142 Aug 22, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
[tipping hat]

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#235143 Aug 22, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/ 893101-8-scientists-contemplat e-place-of-human-consciousness -in-science/
It's all in your head.
Topix atheists need to lay off the shrooms.
Judging by your picture, you'll be sprouting some soon.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hi Dave !!!

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#235144 Aug 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
God?
You can address me as River. No need for formalities here.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#235145 Aug 22, 2014
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus loves you
This I know
Cause the bible
Tells me so
You are weak
And he is strong
Seek forgiveness
We don't have long
Cheers
Thanks for that. It only works on kids though.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#235146 Aug 23, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci encetech/article-2730791/Are-S TUPID-Britons-people-IQ-declin e.html
Brits and Aussies make up a large percentage of Topix atheists.
Perhaps that explains it.
Really? I passed that test.

It probably has more to do with some of the abuses by religious people back in the old convict days. Esp the infamous "Flogging Parson".
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/marsden-samue...

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#235147 Aug 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And there goes the dumdfounded blonde troll.
Smirk.
Dumdfounded? Our Bucket of Rocks is so smart it can't even spell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 33 min IB DaMann 5,722
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr IB DaMann 94
bigger fish to fry (Jul '11) 3 hr Suspicious Packag... 2
What are the best arguments against religion? 3 hr Richardfs 8
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Brian_G 23,592
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 hr scientia potentia... 48,864
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 hr Mintz4004 21,889
More from around the web