Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#234255 Aug 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
She uses it for a vibrator.
Bet she got a surge that time.
Say, Stig. Can you tell me what it means when someone says, "There are no black holes"?
Is he saying there ARE black holes?
No, no, no. When someone says "there are no black holes", what they're actually saying is, "add extra cheese and sour cream".

Duh.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#234256 Aug 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
Of course, when its in from the repair shop problem is that butt crack keeps breaking it
No, dear...

ChristineM wrote:
I have told you 10 million times to stop exaggerating.

...that was you.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#234257 Aug 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You explain it by killing women and children and refugees sheltering in UN aid centres, no god involved
That does nothing to answer my question. What it does do is expose the depravity of Islam that hide behind women and children.
Patrick

United States

#234258 Aug 5, 2014
religionisillness wrote:
<quoted text>
its almost as though you actually enjoy being ignorant and unknowing.
......and some good news for America ?
Pope Francis may soon visit the U.S. to attend the World Meeting of Families. His visit would present a unique opportunity to have a conversation about families that moves past the usual culture war flash points.

Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia broke some big news recently when he announced that Pope Francis would make his first trip to the United States next September.

While the Vatican has not officially confirmed the visit, its widely expected the pope will attend a Philadelphia conference focused on families with possible stops at the United Nations and in Washington. This papal trip is shaping up to be a blockbuster worth watching for anyone who cares about the intersection of religion and politics.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#234259 Aug 5, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian Mythology doesn't understand math.
Examples
1+1+1=1
0+0=something
Have you ever wondered how many light-years God just sat around thinking about doing something until he came up with your religions idea?
If there are no other gods this would be like being in solitary confinement would not?
Nothing to do but stare outside your own mind. I guess he got lonely or bored.
And decided to take his anger out with his creations.
He's even lousy at fatherhood.
Look how he treated his son!
gaytheist-retatrds don't understand math, but Christians do!

I'll give you an example of the most simple equation gaytards miss:

Jesus + anything = nothing

Jesus + nothing = EVERYTHING

you're welcome!:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#234260 Aug 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell her. I'm not your secretary.
well i could be wrong, but i have a sneaking suspicion that you're more than just kait's 'secretary';-)
religionisillnes s

Exeter, UK

#234261 Aug 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It was finite in volume, or distance.
You are trying to mix two different infinities, neither of which you have.
You can't go from infinitely small (infintesimal) to infinitely large without passing through finite numbers.
What was the largest finite number? Why couldn't you add 1 to it?
You are not equipped to discuss this.
No evidence of god - you may shaddap now creationist failure.
religionisillnes s

Exeter, UK

#234262 Aug 5, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dangerously close to believing In intelligent design.
FINALLY! You admit that believing in Creationism is dangerous.
religionisillnes s

Exeter, UK

#234263 Aug 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You still dodge the question.
"infinity" is something we wrote. You want to bend the universe to fit it. You can't.
Don't use the term if you don't like it. You are not allowed to selectively apply it when it suits you, or change it into something it's not.
Again, what is the largest finite number that corresponds to the expansion?
Why can't you add 1 to it?
Add black holes to the list of other things you dont believe in buck:

science
atheism
logic
evidence
common sense
reason
religionisillnes s

Exeter, UK

#234264 Aug 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"infinity" is something we wrote. You want to bend the universe to fit it. You can't.
Don't use the term if you don't like it. You are not allowed to selectively apply it when it suits you, or change it into something it's not.
If god created everything, why do you deny inifinity?

How dare you question your own god's work?!?!?!

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#234266 Aug 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have it entirely wrong.
We assume finite is right, but have found no measuring stick to fit the universe.
Everything we have learned about it, increased it's measure . But no method has yet measured it''s entirety.
CunningLinguist

Inverness, FL

#234267 Aug 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
The interesting thing about that one, is that it wasn't originally the Xian God who fired off lightning bolts. It was the Roman head deity, Jupiter Optimus Maximus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_ (mythology)
http://www.varchive.org/itb/thunder.htm
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/j/jupiter.ht...
Original thinkers.
Surely there's a place for Thor in this mythology!

Gr8 links!
Thanks
Anti-theist

Glasgow, UK

#234268 Aug 5, 2014
The claim that Atheism requires as much faith as religion, or in another form, the 'atheism is another form of religion' argument, is ridiculously stupid.

It doesn't require faith to only find true those things that have been proven beyond all reasonable doubt to be true, with the backing of peer reviewed evidence to support them.
Religion and spirituality can't now, and never will be able to give us that.

Religion by definition is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.".

Atheism is precisely not that. It doesn't take faith to not believe in something, and to state that non-belief requires as much faith as belief is an exercise in moral totalitarianism as much as it is a logical fallacy.

It presupposes that your stance is not only correct, but morally superior, and that puts you in a position where the scientific evidence and the historical and social evidence both stack up against you.

The dominant Abrahamic religions have singularly failed to provide any evidence whatsoever to support their claims that their god, Yahweh, is real, and even their less aggressive devotees still insist on naively attempting to challenge anyone who points that out.
Their more aggressive devotees impose themselves on everyone they meet.

Dawkins pointed it out perfectly, when someone asked him "what if you're wrong?". Your religion is a cultural attachment. If you live in current day North America, you'll likely be christian. If you live in India you may be Hindu, or if you'd been brought up in Denmark in the time of the Vikings you'd have believed in Odin. With all these gods to choose from, and with every religion claiming that their god is the only true god, what if YOU'RE wrong?
Anti-theist

Glasgow, UK

#234269 Aug 5, 2014
Worth also pointing out that the vast majority of christians have no idea who 'Yahweh' is.

Their own god.
Anti-theist

Glasgow, UK

#234270 Aug 5, 2014
Or that they worship the same god as jews and muslims.
Patrick

United States

#234271 Aug 5, 2014
religionisillness wrote:
<quoted text>
If god created everything, why do you deny inifinity?
How dare you question your own god's work?!?!?!
people have different opinions.
Take in a show in London and enjoy yourself.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#234272 Aug 5, 2014
Anti-theist wrote:
The claim that Atheism requires as much faith as religion, or in another form, the 'atheism is another form of religion' argument, is ridiculously stupid.
It doesn't require faith to only find true those things that have been proven beyond all reasonable doubt to be true, with the backing of peer reviewed evidence to support them.
Religion and spirituality can't now, and never will be able to give us that.
Religion by definition is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.".
Atheism is precisely not that. It doesn't take faith to not believe in something, and to state that non-belief requires as much faith as belief is an exercise in moral totalitarianism as much as it is a logical fallacy.
It presupposes that your stance is not only correct, but morally superior, and that puts you in a position where the scientific evidence and the historical and social evidence both stack up against you.
The dominant Abrahamic religions have singularly failed to provide any evidence whatsoever to support their claims that their god, Yahweh, is real, and even their less aggressive devotees still insist on naively attempting to challenge anyone who points that out.
Their more aggressive devotees impose themselves on everyone they meet.
Dawkins pointed it out perfectly, when someone asked him "what if you're wrong?". Your religion is a cultural attachment. If you live in current day North America, you'll likely be christian. If you live in India you may be Hindu, or if you'd been brought up in Denmark in the time of the Vikings you'd have believed in Odin. With all these gods to choose from, and with every religion claiming that their god is the only true god, what if YOU'RE wrong?
Anti-theist !!!

I remember you from London.

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#234273 Aug 6, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
No, dear...
ChristineM wrote:
I have told you 10 million times to stop exaggerating.
...that was you.
Yes dear, it was me, I remember distinctly because I wrote it

Its called sarcasm, have you never heard of it before?

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#234274 Aug 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That does nothing to answer my question. What it does do is expose the depravity of Islam that hide behind women and children.
You want the question answered.

Israel was formed after WW2 because the Israelis were on the winning side and the Palestinians werent no god involved

Israel was formed on the ancestral lands of the Palestinians, thus stealing that land. No god involved but perhaps some god of greed.

In that greed Israel repeatedly steals more land and expands into what remains of Palestinian lands to create more Israeli settlements more of the god of greed here I think.

And those Israelis get all incredulous that the Palestinians object to this theft and want their land back and so blockade imports including humanitarian aid and medication into Gaza for 8 years no god involved but the god of spite.

Due to Israeli greed and US intransigence the Palestinians have to opt for violent methods. Funny thing is that they use the very same god you worship to justify their violence.

Whether these methods are justifiable of not is down to point of view however Israel with the financial and military backing of the US (who just happen to have a very high proportion of Jewish lobbyists in government) ensure that the toll levied by Israel of 25 (mostly innocent women, children and other un armed civilians) deaths to 1 seems fair to them and the US but outright terrorism to the rest of the world. Now this sounds more like the god of the OT and of course the US dollar

So in answer to your question, no the Hebrew massacre of women and children in Gaza has fook all to do with god and if there is a god then the murderous element of the Israeli military will be facing war crimes charges when this is all over no god involved.

And as to hiding behind children, search these threads for NDanger and dollarsbill, good American godbots both who revel in hiding behind children. Those Palestinian women and children MURDERED by Israel were sheltering behind the safely of the UN and the UN are now discussing charges for war crimes... get over it.

Just as an aside, tell me what would you do if Joe Bloggs from down the road suddenly made a proclamation that your property was forfeit because Hitler got beaten? Do you really think you would not object?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234275 Aug 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You have it entirely wrong.
We assume finite is right, but have found no measuring stick to fit the universe.
Everything we have learned about it, increased it's measure . But no method has yet measured it''s entirety.
You can't measure lots of things. Doesn't make them infinite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 2 hr James 163
News The Consequences of Atheism 3 hr QUITTNER Apr 24 2015 1,306
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Dogen 18,668
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 7 hr Patrick n Angela 29
News Confessions of a black atheist 10 hr Samoan Irish 379
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr Pahu 2,057
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 13 hr EdmondWA 14,603
More from around the web