Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 253669 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Moonie

Charlotte, NC

#234210 Aug 4, 2014
religionislies wrote:
<quoted text>
Black holes are a fact because of the overwhelming evidence for them.
Creationism is a lie because of the overwhelming evidence against it.
Hey Septic aka Jim aka Skeptic go bother someone else with your crap.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234211 Aug 4, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
Steven Crothers is a crackpot.
Another feeble attempt to associate creationism with a Big Bang
Dr. Jason Sharples has published a paper in 'Progress in Physics',“Coordinate Transformations and Metric Extension: a Rebuttal to the Relativistic Claims of Stephen J. Crothers” which points out some of the many strange errors that Stephen J. Crothers makes in his somewhat bizarre interpretation of relativity.
Dr. Sharples exposes Crothers' misstatements in a very pedagogical way, choosing simpler examples, such as 2-dimensional geometry, and applying Crothers' analysis methods. This technique illustrates that Crothers' claims of 'fatal problems for general relativity' are actually problems in Mr. Crothers' interpretation of general relativity.
For example, Mr. Crothers' likes to claim that General Relativity has an internal contradiction because the metric radius in a Hilbert form of the Schwarzschild metric is not equal to the Gaussian curvature (Wikipedia: Gaussian Curvature) of the metric. Dr. Sharples uses the simple example of a spherical line element in a Euclidean (flat) 3-dimensional space to illustrate that these quantities are not equal even in this simplified case and are not required to be equal.
Crothers' analysis is seriously flawed. I wonder how Crothers would make his 'interpretation' of the spherically-symmetric solution consistent with the physics needed to make a reliable GPS receiver.
N'est ce pas
Sharples is wrong, you moron.

If you are going to plagiarize a blog, you might be more credible in your plagiarism if you also posted Crothers' rebuttal to Sharples.

www.sjcrothers.plasmaresources.com/REPLY.pdf

Location hidden

#234212 Aug 4, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck, our resident narcissist, is severely challenged by reality; allergic to fact; and actively engaged in a courageous battle with literacy and mental health.
Frankly is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.
Bluster attempting to be cute.

Location hidden

#234213 Aug 4, 2014
religionislies wrote:
<quoted text>
Black holes are a fact because of the overwhelming evidence for them.
Creationism is a lie because of the overwhelming evidence against it.
Kenneth! What is the frequency?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#234214 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sharples is wrong, you moron.
If you are going to plagiarize a blog, you might be more credible in your plagiarism if you also posted Crothers' rebuttal to Sharples.
www.sjcrothers.plasmaresources.com/REPLY.pdf
Have you ever considered that it is not Shaples and all the other scientists who actually study black holes are wrong but the educational failure who was expelled from his PhD studies (Crothers) and does not know what the fook he is talking about?

In the pdf pointed to by your link he makes his rebuttal by repeating the same error and hiding behind masses of irrelevant math – jeez he must be a creationist.

Using Newton’s Laws in the late 1790s, John Michell of England and Pierre-Simon Laplace of France independently suggested the existence of an "invisible star." Michell and Laplace calculated the mass and size – which is now called the "event horizon" – that an object needs in order to have an escape velocity greater than the speed of light. In 1915, Einstein's theory of general relativity predicted the existence of black holes. In 1967 John Wheeler, an American theoretical physicist, applied the term "black hole" to these collapsed objects.
http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answ...

And to be honest I am pretty sure that Einstein knew more about what he wrote than a failure of the US education system

#234215 Aug 4, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck, our resident narcissist, is severely challenged by reality; allergic to fact; and actively engaged in a courageous battle with literacy and mental health.
Frankly is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.
Narcissist? Wow I just thought he was an egotestical (correct spelling) moron. ;-)

#234216 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Kenneth! What is the frequency?
Why do you need the frequency, your tinfoil hat will prevent all frequencies breaking through

Location hidden

#234217 Aug 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever considered that it is not Shaples and all the other scientists who actually study black holes are wrong but the educational failure who was expelled from his PhD studies (Crothers) and does not know what the fook he is talking about?
In the pdf pointed to by your link he makes his rebuttal by repeating the same error and hiding behind masses of irrelevant math – jeez he must be a creationist.
Using Newton’s Laws in the late 1790s, John Michell of England and Pierre-Simon Laplace of France independently suggested the existence of an "invisible star." Michell and Laplace calculated the mass and size – which is now called the "event horizon" – that an object needs in order to have an escape velocity greater than the speed of light. In 1915, Einstein's theory of general relativity predicted the existence of black holes. In 1967 John Wheeler, an American theoretical physicist, applied the term "black hole" to these collapsed objects.
http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answ...
And to be honest I am pretty sure that Einstein knew more about what he wrote than a failure of the US education system
At least you chose a new logical fallacy - The Genetic Fallacy.

And you threw in a pinch of Appeal to Authority.

Keep posting Christine. You will eventually cover all of them.

Location hidden

#234218 Aug 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Narcissist? Wow I just thought he was an egotestical (correct spelling) moron. ;-)
That wasn't funny the first 10 times you said it.

#234219 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
At least you chose a new logical fallacy - The Genetic Fallacy.
And you threw in a pinch of Appeal to Authority.
Keep posting Christine. You will eventually cover all of them.
You are delusional

#234220 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That wasn't funny the first 10 times you said it.
I have told you 10 million times to stop exaggerating.

I have not used the word narcissist in relation to you before that post... ever.

As to you being and egotestical (correct spelling) moron, there is nothing funny about mental disability

Location hidden

#234221 Aug 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not used the word narcissist in relation to you before that post... ever.
As to you being and egotestical (correct spelling) moron, there is nothing funny about mental disability
"The absence of event horizons means that there are no black holes, in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape,"

-Stephen Hawking

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#234222 Aug 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
Haha. Do you have one of those Topix Atheist! irony meters?

Location hidden

#234223 Aug 4, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
She uses it for a vibrator.

Bet she got a surge that time.

Say, Stig. Can you tell me what it means when someone says, "There are no black holes"?

Is he saying there ARE black holes?

#234224 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of event horizons means that there are no black holes, in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape,"
-Stephen Hawking
Cherry picked irrelevance – here is the full paragraph – again...

The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to infinity. There are however apparent horizons which persist for a period of time. This suggests that black holes should be redened as metastable bound states of the gravitational field. It will also mean that the CFT on the boundary of anti deSitter space will be dual to the whole anti deSitter space, and not merely the region outside the horizon.

#234225 Aug 4, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, when it’s in from the repair shop – problem is that butt crack keeps breaking it

#234226 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
She uses it for a vibrator.
Bet she got a surge that time.
Say, Stig. Can you tell me what it means when someone says, "There are no black holes"?
Is he saying there ARE black holes?
More buck lies and guesswork based bucks famous masturbation technique. i.e. bang head on wall repeatedly until his ears ejaculate.

Wassup you favourite hiv carrier not in the showers to fook your butt today?

Say buck can you tell me why you repeatedly misrepresent a person by deliberately cherry picking from their written work and taking what you cherry pick oput of context. Is it because you really are an ignorant prat or is it because you just do not understand written English?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#234227 Aug 4, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
We'd prefer not to hear about all your experiences in mens' rooms, ShirtUp.
lol - you funny honey and could you please tell kait that i'm not holding any ill feelings against her and hope she doesn't me either?;-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#234228 Aug 4, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool... than to speak up and remove all doubt.
It is quite obvious you know nothing about Einstein.
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein
"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein
Next?
those who know math don't necessarily know God - the great topix Waaasssuuup

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#234229 Aug 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, when it’s in from the repair shop – problem is that butt crack keeps breaking it
hhhiiiiiii chrissy!:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 min Richardfs 6,256
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 57 min woodtick57 18,887
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Richard 27,458
Good News for atheists (May '13) 3 hr thetruth 69
News Atheism has no moral dimension 3 hr thetruth 187
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr thetruth 8,264
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 3,138
News Speaking for God 3 hr thetruth 77
More from around the web