Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256045 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Your God

Ronkonkoma, NY

#234133 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234134 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Animals do in fact communicate. The African Parrot can speak in the human language and scientist have proven they know what they’re saying.
At first the African Parrot mimic sounds like a lot of birds do. But just as a human child does they soon learn the meaning of certain words. So animals can and do communicate with humans in our own language. People that own birds can attest to that truth.
When you are referring to the “serpent” in the bible. It’s important to know if you are referring to the pre-cursed or post-cursed serpent. Because the post-cursed would look entirely different that the pre-cursed serpent.
I love Atheist actually. It’s fun sparring or I wouldn‘t do it. And I have learned from my Atheist opponents. They have taught me to be better and stronger.
Now you mentioned the “Trinity.” I’m personally not a Trinitarian. I only believe in “One God” and all these things you said in your statement below is true.
“The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible. Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin.”
I also agree with this statement,“Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.”
A example of this on you is the denying animals can talk. Your mind is closed to rational information. There have been examples where primates have learned sign language and communicate with humans.
Dolphins are another example of animals that can communicate with humans. Even a cat or dog can learn in very basic forms how to communicate with us. But when it comes to Atheism. Atheist claim it is impossible for animals to communicate (talk) to humans. A silly and obtuse position to take amid all the animal research that has occurred over the last 50 years.
You are grossly misinformed about atheists!

We can't even agree with each other!

But we do agree on one thing... Gods are imaginary and religion is organized superstition.

We also know that the majority of the worlds thinkers, scientists, researchers etc. are irreligious. agnostic, atheist or secular.

We know that religion is dying on a global level.

Oddly we understand that according to your faith when you reach heaven you will share it with the same people who flew airplanes into the world trade center.

According to their mythology they received 72 virgins which doesn't bode too well for the virgins hanging around Paradise waiting on martyrs to arrive!

Then again, religion is in itself, illogical

And what was that phrase?

"Faith may not move mountains but you should see what it can do skyscrapers!"

In Iraq we have Shiite versus Sunni.
In palestine we have the Jews versus the Palestinians(Islam versus Judaism)
Syria? who really cares?

I could go on but the world is rife with religious strife and has been since the inception.

Religion does not unite people - it divides them and history proves this over and over.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234135 Aug 2, 2014
Your God wrote:
Religious people...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5xvILvxYbFAXX
Neil Degrasse Tyson is always wonderful.

I dare you not to laugh at this video !christians should avoid it fundamentalist should enjoy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234138 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are grossly misinformed about atheists!
We can't even agree with each other!
But we do agree on one thing... Gods are imaginary and religion is organized superstition.
We also know that the majority of the worlds thinkers, scientists, researchers etc. are irreligious. agnostic, atheist or secular.
We know that religion is dying on a global level.
Oddly we understand that according to your faith when you reach heaven you will share it with the same people who flew airplanes into the world trade center.
According to their mythology they received 72 virgins which doesn't bode too well for the virgins hanging around Paradise waiting on martyrs to arrive!
Then again, religion is in itself, illogical
And what was that phrase?
"Faith may not move mountains but you should see what it can do skyscrapers!"
In Iraq we have Shiite versus Sunni.
In palestine we have the Jews versus the Palestinians(Islam versus Judaism)
Syria? who really cares?
I could go on but the world is rife with religious strife and has been since the inception.
Religion does not unite people - it divides them and history proves this over and over.
Some Gods are imaginary and some religion is organized superstition. This I shall agree with.

“the majority of the worlds thinkers, scientists, researchers etc. are irreligious. agnostic, atheist or secular.”

I noticed you didn’t bother supporting your position with any reference. Well, here’s mine.

According to 100 Years of Nobel Prizes a review of Nobel prizes award between 1901 and 2000 reveals that (65.4%) of Nobel Prizes Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference. Overall, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of all the Nobel Prizes in Peace, 72.5% in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54% in Economics and 49.5% of all Literature awards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christia...

Religion is far from dying. Just this week in the news a report came out that Christianity is growing in China.

Here’s an official list who will “NOT” be in heaven according to the Christian Bible.

Revelation 21:8 King James Version

“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Sorry to tell you but according to the bible you are in the same category as the murdering terrorist.

You need to understand. Religion is not going away and yes there are world conflicts with religious bigotry in the midst. For example Muslims have a solution for infidels (Atheist all non-Muslims), and that is to cut your head off. And they would love to blow your legs off first.
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234139 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Neil Degrasse Tyson is always wonderful.
I dare you not to laugh at this video !christians should avoid it fundamentalist should enjoy it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
What has Neil deGrasse Tyson done to better mankind?

Has he saved anyone life? Anyone?

Invented anything that will significantly advance science?

Has he solved any challenges facing mankind?

He’s in the same category as Stephen Hawkins. Smart men perhaps but not significantly contributing to mankind’s betterment.

About the only thing they will be known for is being a school mascot.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#234140 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What has Neil deGrasse Tyson done to better mankind?
Has he saved anyone life? Anyone?
Invented anything that will significantly advance science?
Has he solved any challenges facing mankind?
He’s in the same category as Stephen Hawkins. Smart men perhaps but not significantly contributing to mankind’s betterment.
About the only thing they will be known for is being a school mascot.
He advanced computer technology , but he is a entertainer of new ideas and try's to get you to use your brain. Assuming you have one.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234141 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Gods are imaginary and some religion is organized superstition. This I shall agree with.
“the majority of the worlds thinkers, scientists, researchers etc. are irreligious. agnostic, atheist or secular.”
I noticed you didn’t bother supporting your position with any reference. Well, here’s mine.
According to 100 Years of Nobel Prizes a review of Nobel prizes award between 1901 and 2000 reveals that (65.4%) of Nobel Prizes Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference. Overall, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of all the Nobel Prizes in Peace, 72.5% in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54% in Economics and 49.5% of all Literature awards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christia...
Religion is far from dying. Just this week in the news a report came out that Christianity is growing in China.
Here’s an official list who will “NOT” be in heaven according to the Christian Bible.
“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Sorry to tell you but according to the bible you are in the same category as the murdering terrorist.
You need to understand. Religion is not going away and yes there are world conflicts with religious bigotry in the midst. For example Muslims have a solution for infidels (Atheist all non-Muslims), and that is to cut your head off. And they would love to blow your legs off first.
I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.

Neil points this out in the video and he doesn't insult or slam Christians.

Let's discuss the growth of religion in Europe...

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011...

Excerpt:

Religion may be on the decline in Europe, but it is flourishing among some communities and in many other parts of the world. Religion can be a source of tranquil hearts and inspiration for fight against tyranny, inequality and injustice. For argument's sake, even if there is no God, human beings need one to behave responsibly on Earth.

A few words spoken long ago...

IS THE OLD TESTAMENT INSPIRED?

If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.

It should contain the perfection of philosophy.

It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.

There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.

Its morality should be the highest, the purest.

Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.

It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.

It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.

It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.

It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.

It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.

It should be true.

Does the Old Testament satisfy this standard?

Is there anything in the Old Testament -- in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science -- above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
-Robert G. Ingersoll

The short answer: No
Not just no... but HELL NO!
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234142 Aug 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He advanced computer technology , but he is a entertainer of new ideas and try's to get you to use your brain. Assuming you have one.
The world has plenty of Random Access Babblers (RAB) and court jesters.

I mean if your going to pick a hero for lands sakes pick someone that has done something positive for mankind.

Take your average sanitation worker. They’re making a far significant contribution to mankind than Mr. Tyson. If it wasn’t for your average sanitation workers you would die.
Mr. Tyson’s astrophysicist contribution is just like Stephen Hawkins, it's all for naught.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234143 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A number of cases of mass killings of people, apparently at God’s behest, are recorded in the Old Testament:

1. The Flood (Genesis 6-8)
2. The cities of the plain, including Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18-19)
3. The Egyptian firstborn sons during the Passover (Exodus 11-12)
4. The Canaanites under Moses and Joshua (Numbers 21:2-3; Deuteronomy 20:17; Joshua 6:17, 21)
5. The Amalekites annihilated by Saul (1 Samuel 15)

The first three examples are similar in that there was no human agent involved – in each case it was God, or an angel of God, who carried out the mass killings directly.

The mass killing of the Canaanites is the first of two cases in which the text claims that God’s people, the nation of Israel, were commanded by Him to attack other nations.

The problem many people have with these stories of mass killings is that they do not seem to fit the popular conception of the Christian God.

In particular, the question is asked how a God of love could allow or even command such brutality.

Furthermore, it is suggested that the God described in these Old Testament books is a different character from the God described in the New Testament.

The former is supposedly angry, vindictive and ruthless, the latter loving, patient and forgiving.

Even for people who are convinced that the Bible is true and represents God’s revelation of Himself these accounts can be deeply troubling, especially when one thinks about the death of innocent children.

But you can't blame the people - here's the person to blame in his own words!

"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234144 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.
Excerpt:
Religion may be on the decline in Europe, but it is flourishing among some communities and in many other parts of the world. Religion can be a source of tranquil hearts and inspiration for fight against tyranny, inequality and injustice. For argument's sake, even if there is no God, human beings need one to behave responsibly on Earth.
There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.
It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should be true.
Is there anything in the Old Testament -- in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science -- above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
-Robert G. Ingersoll
“I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.”

That may have been in your particular case and the case of a few others but certainly no where near the majority. Atheism is on the rise however but it’s still just a fraction of the total population here in the United States.

Mankind is the most intelligent creature on the earth. And man the only creature that seeks a higher power. It’s been that way from the very beginning and it will be that way as long as mankind exist.

Tell me, do Atheist grieve at the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one?

If there’s no God or afterlife then a human life is then like the grass. When it’s cut down it just withers away into nothing. Then there’s no cause to grieve.

Europe, we can discuss that later because I have some strong opinions on the Godless Europeans.
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234146 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Excerpt:
It should be true.
-Robert G. Ingersoll
You have never read the Old or New Testament in its entirety.

How can you judge a book you never bothered to read?

You just borrow others criticism that also have never read the entire bible contents.

In fact all of your arguments are borrowed. You bring absolutely nothing original or challenging.

You owe to yourself to read the bible and divorce yourself from the borrowed thoughts and come up with something you generated.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234147 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“I'm sorry, but the greater level of ones education the less religiosity there is.”
That may have been in your particular case and the case of a few others but certainly no where near the majority. Atheism is on the rise however but it’s still just a fraction of the total population here in the United States.
Mankind is the most intelligent creature on the earth. And man the only creature that seeks a higher power. It’s been that way from the very beginning and it will be that way as long as mankind exist.
Tell me, do Atheist grieve at the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one?
If there’s no God or afterlife then a human life is then like the grass. When it’s cut down it just withers away into nothing. Then there’s no cause to grieve.
Europe, we can discuss that later because I have some strong opinions on the Godless Europeans.
Frankly it is hard to fathom that someone (you) can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it. Blind faith only.

Curiosity killed the cat and if you're curious about the origin of religion, take the time to research it , it will question your faith.

I seriously doubt you've ever read your Bible cover to cover.

You should try it sometime!
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234148 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean if your going to pick a hero for lands sakes pick someone that has done something positive for mankind.
Take your average sanitation worker. They’re making a far significant contribution to mankind than Mr. Tyson. If it wasn’t for your average sanitation workers you would die.
Mr. Tyson’s astrophysicist contribution is just like Stephen Hawkins, it's all for naught.
What's all for naught is religion.

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." ~Mark Twain

“A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.”~Saul Bellow

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." ~George Bernard Shaw

I must go for now... I have a gripping game of angry birds.
CunningLinguist

Spring Hill, FL

#234149 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have never read the Old or New Testament in its entirety.
How can you judge a book you never bothered to read?
You just borrow others criticism that also have never read the entire bible contents.
In fact all of your arguments are borrowed. You bring absolutely nothing original or challenging.
You owe to yourself to read the bible and divorce yourself from the borrowed thoughts and come up with something you generated.
I forgot more about the Bible than you'll ever remember. And by the content of your post is obvious you've never read the Bible, make that any Bible, even Gideon's.

Let's stick with the Old Testament the original Jewish Bible modified liberally by the Catholics - whichemerged as the New Testament.

The Roman Catholic Church claims exclusive authorship of the Bible by the way!

Pick any verse and I will contradict it with one. Scripture is a steaming pile of BS.

It's your book Eagle defend it.

Dazzle me with your profound biblical knowledge.

Pick any of chapter and I'll assassinate it.

Your book is primitive written by primitive people, get over it.
Eagle 12

League City, TX

#234150 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot more about the Bible than you'll ever remember. And by the content of your post is obvious you've never read the Bible, make that any Bible, even Gideon's.
Let's stick with the Old Testament the original Jewish Bible modified liberally by the Catholics - whichemerged as the New Testament.
The Roman Catholic Church claims exclusive authorship of the Bible by the way!
Pick any verse and I will contradict it with one. Scripture is a steaming pile of BS.
It's your book Eagle defend it.
Dazzle me with your profound biblical knowledge.
Pick any of chapter and I'll assassinate it.
Your book is primitive written by primitive people, get over it.
Nothing original, it’s all recycled arguments from atheist web sites.

By the way if you have read any atheist reads it’s common for atheist to claim they have read the entire bible. It’s a character flaw we see repeated over and over.

Most atheist couldn’t even compete with the average six year old in a game of bible baseball. The fact is Atheist don’t know anything about the bible other than the tiny bits and pieces they get from atheist web sites.

What I’m looking for is some originality. Someone who can think on their own and draw conclusions from their own knowledge.

I’ve asked you questions like I do all the atheist here on topix and guess what? You don’t answer any questions because you can’t. You don’t have the knowledge base to draw from.

You fly over the question and dump a hell of a lot of post from the atheist sites. Explore your own mind my friend. Be your own person and learn what you believe. And we can talk about that what you really believe. I've been to the atheist web sites. I know what's there and it's easy to spot and atheist drone.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#234152 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Tell me, do Atheist grieve at the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one?
No,we laugh and have a celebration party!

Really why are you kristains such dimwitts?
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#234153 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing original, it’s all recycled arguments from atheist web sites.
By the way if you have read any atheist reads it’s common for atheist to claim they have read the entire bible. It’s a character flaw we see repeated over and over.
Most atheist couldn’t even compete with the average six year old in a game of bible baseball. The fact is Atheist don’t know anything about the bible other than the tiny bits and pieces they get from atheist web sites.
What I’m looking for is some originality. Someone who can think on their own and draw conclusions from their own knowledge.
I’ve asked you questions like I do all the atheist here on topix and guess what? You don’t answer any questions because you can’t. You don’t have the knowledge base to draw from.
You fly over the question and dump a hell of a lot of post from the atheist sites. Explore your own mind my friend. Be your own person and learn what you believe. And we can talk about that what you really believe. I've been to the atheist web sites. I know what's there and it's easy to spot and atheist drone.
We know enough about your religion to turns us OFF it,

too bad you are too weak to shake its mental bondage

www.evilbible.com
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#234154 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>

And Atheist intelligence runs the entire span from those that are dumb as rocks to the very brilliant educated Atheist. We even see this span right here on this topix channel. One of the indicators I look for when I judge intelligence. Is the need for one to self inflate his/her ego by constantly trotting down others.
The less intelligent Atheist do this all the time by calling their opponent and “idiot” for example.

What they mean is they’re not competent or intelligent enough to engage in meaningful conversation so they revert to throwing rocks. And throwing rocks is a Neanderthal response.
Have you or other theists here ever insulted atheists ?

So what does that make you...

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#234155 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well brains aren't everything, and thanks to you sanitation workers.... We will not have to shovel out the back house anymore.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#234156 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to the store in my little town in Southern Illinois. When a Ford Model “T” drove right passed me. That car looked as good today as it did a hundred years ago when it came off the assembly line. There was a bit of excitement seeing this car on the road.
Do you mind if I parse your post?

Good, cuz it's what I do.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to the store in my little town in Southern Illinois.
What kind of gas mileage does your little town get?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When a Ford Model “T” drove right passed me.
Past. In that case it would be an adverb. You could also use by in it's place.

At least you spelled T right.

Have I shown you the Unnecessary Quotation Marks website?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That car looked as good today as it did a hundred years ago when it came off the assembly line.
How could you know that?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a bit of excitement seeing this car on the road.
I'll bet there would have been more excitement seeing it in the air.

Shall we continue?

I'm kinda bored.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Chazofsaints 40,690
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Thinking 4,687
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 2 hr IB DaMann 263
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr karl44 20,615
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr ChristineM 24,083
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr ChristineM 16,189
Good arguments against Christianity 4 hr thetruth 102
More from around the web