Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233425 Jul 24, 2014
http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-wea...

Those pesky perturbations of our lovely gravity based stable math head universe.

I miss those discussions with Bit Twiddler.

You have to understand how electromagnetic induction works to realize its universal effect in forming masses and reactions between them.

United States

#233426 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You again are here pronouncing the ability to do what is beyond the ability of science.
You are trying to tell me a universe in a infinitesimal state of existence , in which time nor space has yet to exist can be given a finite mass.The volume of a infinitesimal is so small it cannot be measured, it effectively cannot be distinguished from zero.
The BBT, according to NASA, started off with a particle a few millimeters in diameter.

That is a finite amount. Some say even larger particles.

That is the basis of YOUR theories.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#233427 Jul 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The BBT, according to NASA, started off with a particle a few millimeters in diameter.
That is a finite amount. Some say even larger particles.
That is the basis of YOUR theories.
But this particle , when it became measurable in terms we can understand.
Existed when there was nothing to measure it against in comparison.
At the time the entire universe a few millimeters in diameter was all there was, and in effect was everything there is now. But when it started, time did not yet exist the way we know it either.

Prior to the expansion period, the inflaton field was at a higher-energy state.
Random quantum fluctuations triggered a phase transition whereby the inflaton field released its potential energy as matter and radiation as it settled to its lowest-energy state.

**This action generated a repulsive force that drove the portion of the universe that is

*observable

to us today to expand from approximately 10&#8722;50 metres in radius at 10&#8722;35 seconds to almost 1 metre in radius at 10&#8722;34 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflaton

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233428 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A is infinite but compressed very small, A expands for 13.8 billion years, A is infinite.
There was nothing before A , There is nothing outside of A, There is nothing else to compare A to at any given point in space/time. 13.8 billion years ago a square mile was infinitely smaller.
"A" is the rate of expansion.

"A" x 13.7 billion = Infinite distance.

I figured out the problem. I've been arguing with a complete idiot.

Never mind.

Work on figuring out the size of those infinitely small square miles.

....why did I bother.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#233429 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
At the time the entire universe a few millimeters in diameter was all there was, and in effect was everything there is now. But when it started, time did not yet exist the way we know it either.
You have strange beliefs.

What time was the universe a few millimeters in diameter?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#233430 Jul 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"A" is the rate of expansion.
"A" x 13.7 billion = Infinite distance.
I figured out the problem. I've been arguing with a complete idiot.
Never mind.
Work on figuring out the size of those infinitely small square miles.
....why did I bother.
You cant help yourself , the expansion rate is not measurable in terms like you want .
It was called the inflationary epoch, a point I've been trying in some detail to explain , that you are ignoring. After that it is presumed to slow down to more a measurable constant.
But it was recently discovered it is not only increases with distance, but increasing over time.

United States

#233431 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
But this particle , when it became measurable in terms we can understand.
Existed when there was nothing to measure it against in comparison.
Prior to the expansion period, the inflaton field was at a higher-energy state.
Random quantum fluctuations triggered a phase transition whereby the inflaton field released its potential energy as matter and radiation as it settled to its lowest-energy state.
**This action generated a repulsive force that drove the portion of the universe that is
*observable
to us today to expand from approximately 10&#8722;50 metres in radius at 10&#8722;35 seconds to almost 1 metre in radius at 10&#8722;34 seconds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflaton
Inflation field?

What do you mow those with? They do have to occupy a pre-existing dimension. Read volume or space.

Random fluctuations ain't gonna happen without something to fluctuate and something to modify it.

I think you are playing this by ear.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#233432 Jul 24, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
You have strange beliefs.
What time was the universe a few millimeters in diameter?
Big bang theory 101 dude. Not a belief , it is a hypothesis of the big bang theory.
Get your education in order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Approximately 10-^37 seconds into the expansion, a phase transition caused a cosmic inflation, during which the universe grew exponentially.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233433 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:

Big bang theory 101 dude. Not a belief , it is a hypothesis of the big bang theory.
Get your education in order.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang
Approximately 10-^37 seconds into the expansion, a phase transition caused a cosmic inflation, during which the universe grew exponentially.
Haha. "Get your education in order, here's Wikipedia."

C'mon dude. 10-^37 seconds is an infinitesimal amount of time, not even calculable today. How the hell is it supposed to calculated 13.8 billion years in the past?

Also, how much did the universe expand between 10-^37 seconds and 10-^38 seconds? Then from 10-^38 seconds to 10-^39 seconds? We should "know" this, yes?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233434 Jul 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Inflation field?
What do you mow those with? They do have to occupy a pre-existing dimension. Read volume or space.
Random fluctuations ain't gonna happen without something to fluctuate and something to modify it.
I think you are playing this by ear.
Do you think women are magical creatures?

I mean, they get wet without water, bleed without injury, give milk without eating grass, and can make a boneless meat rock hard.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#233435 Jul 24, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon dude. 10-^37 seconds is an infinitesimal amount of time, not even calculable today. How the hell is it supposed to calculated 13.8 billion years in the past?
Also, how much did the universe expand between 10-^37 seconds and 10-^38 seconds? Then from 10-^38 seconds to 10-^39 seconds? We should "know" this, yes?
It's all theoretical or speculative and could never be reproduced, so it will forever be speculative.
But more importantly when we talk about infinity , there is nothing that shows it's impossible but belief. Something a theist has , not the scientist. The evidence says the Big bang happened.
The scientist see the evidence only.
The theist believes but believes a god caused it, the theist also tells me human were created by intelligent design, and that infinity is impossible.
None of which is supported by the evidence, but are in fact beliefs.
Remember the scientist does nor believe, only evaluates the evidence.

Location hidden

#233436 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You cant help yourself , the expansion rate is not measurable in terms like you want .
It was called the inflationary epoch, a point I've been trying in some detail to explain , that you are ignoring. After that it is presumed to slow down to more a measurable constant.
But it was recently discovered it is not only increases with distance, but increasing over time.
No matter the rate, it is a rate.

No rate satisfies the equation.

"A" (average rate of expansion) x 13.8 billion years = Infinite distance

There is not a rate of expansion, whether the rate is known or unknown, that can result in infinite expansion.

No such rate can exist.

That's why you could never answer my question.

It's called a "logical trap".

I painted you into the trap, and you are stuck there.

Known or unknown, there is no rate of expansion that can result in expansion to infinite distance over 13.8 billion years, or ANY finite period of time.

None.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233437 Jul 24, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:

Aura Mytha wrote:
It's all theoretical or speculative and could never be reproduced, so it will forever be speculative.
But more importantly when we talk about infinity , there is nothing that shows it's impossible but belief. Something a theist has , not the scientist. The evidence says the Big bang happened.
The theist believes but believes a god caused it, the theist also tells me human were created by intelligent design, and that infinity is impossible.
Aura, did you even read my post? You didn't respond to anything I said, you just typed what was on your mind.

It's like I say potato and you say BOWLING SHOES.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#233438 Jul 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter the rate, it is a rate.
No rate satisfies the equation.
"A" (average rate of expansion) x 13.8 billion years = Infinite distance
There is not a rate of expansion, whether the rate is known or unknown, that can result in infinite expansion.
No such rate can exist.
That's why you could never answer my question.
It's called a "logical trap".
I painted you into the trap, and you are stuck there.
Known or unknown, there is no rate of expansion that can result in expansion to infinite distance over 13.8 billion years, or ANY finite period of time.
None.
Time is not finite the way you think Buck, it passes at variable rates.
Space/time can be compressed and stretched to where it doesn't mean what you think.
1 second could take a million years to pass between 1 time frame and the next.

Location hidden

#233439 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Your infinite universe is theoretical.

That's the only place you can have "infinite" - in theory.

In reality, all infinities disappear.

No computational basis for reality can exist if infinity is included.

Location hidden

#233440 Jul 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Time is not finite the way you think Buck, it passes at variable rates.
Space/time can be compressed and stretched to where it doesn't mean what you think.
1 second could take a million years to pass between 1 time frame and the next.
A million years is still finite.

In fact, it's no closer to infinite than 1 second is.

And no matter how many million-year time frames you have, you would still be no closer to infinite time than 1 second is.

United States

#233441 Jul 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A million years is still finite.
In fact, it's no closer to infinite than 1 second is.
And no matter how many million-year time frames you have, you would still be no closer to infinite time than 1 second is.
I am afraid we lost our Aura to infinity and beyond.

The poor boy got caught in a cult.

Location hidden

#233442 Jul 24, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura, did you even read my post? You didn't respond to anything I said, you just typed what was on your mind.
It's like I say potato and you say BOWLING SHOES.
You don't understand.

Aura's answer to "potato?" would be bowling shoes.

He doesn't think real clearly.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233443 Jul 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:

You don't understand.
Aura's answer to "potato?" would be bowling shoes.
He doesn't think real clearly.
I see, I see.

His last post to me has be befuddled. I'm all befuddled and shit.
Patrick

United States

#233444 Jul 24, 2014
Adolph Hitler
Joseph Stalin
Which side gets the blame for their crimes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min One way or another 35,086
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 min Thinking 20,097
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Richardfs 14,940
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 6 hr emperorjohn 139
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 7 hr Reason Personified 156
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 16 hr Amused 102
More from around the web