Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255481 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#233054 Jul 19, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rf_dQk9iaSYXX
I do it without being called, actually.
Good!

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233055 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There prolly are less than a dozen of them in the us nowaday. It's a treasure 4 sure..:)
I wonder where all the English Ford Anglias and Nash Metropolitans of the 50-60s went.

Catcher would like one of the Studebaker Avantis. Oooh, they were hot.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#233056 Jul 19, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Good! You are asking questions that a scientist would ask, though you are trying to force the answer to be a god. Not only a god, but your god. A god that you might never known had you been born in a different place and time.
<quoted text>
What beliefs do i have? What are your beliefs? Answering those two questions should clear that up.
<quoted text>
So, one minute, Atheism is a religion and in the next it is not. I can certainly understand why believers and non-believers have trouble communicating.
What you may not want to consider; many Atheists read the bible from cover to cover and asked the tough questions, before coming to the conclusion that religion is man made and use to control others.
<quoted text>
Silly, childish insults, especially from anonymous people hiding behind their keyboard, don't work on me, but feel free to continue trying.
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that my previous post would be my final post to you.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233057 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

If space is infinite now, it was infinite from the start.

According to cosmological theories space is not empty; the entire Universe is filled with energy/matter, particles, radiation and fields. It is also known from science that both the gravitational force and the electromagnetic radiation traverse space in the form of waves. A wave is a form that matter assumes, which means that there has to be matter to assume it, because one could not have a wave of ‘nothing’; i.e. there has to be ‘something’ material that waves.

If space is not empty and infinite, this means matter and energy are infinite.

Do you wish to claim that matter and energy in the universe is infinite, or would you now like to concede that you have just managed to lose the argument yet another way?

United States

#233058 Jul 19, 2014
In the early 60's there was a bus stop I used in front of a used foreign car lot.

Jaguar XK 120's and XK 150's for $750 snd $800. Triumphs, Sunbeam Alpines, Austin Healeys, MG's. Dirt cheap, and out of my range at the time.

Sob, sniff.......

Had one of those Avanti's almost run over my foot crossing a street.

I shoulda been a lawyer.

United States

#233059 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
According to cosmological theories space is not empty; the entire Universe is filled with energy/matter, particles, radiation and fields. It is also known from science that both the gravitational force and the electromagnetic radiation traverse space in the form of waves. A wave is a form that matter assumes, which means that there has to be matter to assume it, because one could not have a wave of ‘nothing’; i.e. there has to be ‘something’ material that waves.
If space is not empty and infinite, this means matter and energy are infinite.
Do you wish to claim that matter and energy in the universe is infinite, or would you now like to concede that you have just managed to lose the argument yet another way?
The theory is space was created by the BB expansion. So it is a component, not a nothing expanded into. A stressed field between clumps of granular particle.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233060 Jul 19, 2014
ChristineM wrote:

Wow, you have a big one…

Cheers

Thanks, Christine.

United States

#233061 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory is space was created by the BB expansion. So it is a component, not a nothing expanded into. A stressed field between clumps of granular particle.
If you had a finite volume of particle, which is claimed to be from millimeters to soccer ball size, then you have finite space. You will have no space beyond the outermost particle elements. The skin of our bubble. No medium to carry matter or energy beyond. That is where infinity starts. From our perspective.

Our balloon can't expand unless it has an outside force blowing it up more. Perhsps Topix atheist hot air.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#233063 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Hey, RR.
Your new name intrigues the shit out of me.
That should frighten me.

Curious that it doesn't.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233064 Jul 19, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
Speaking of Canadians...
American Scientists are baffled how Canadians can watch movies, play video games and not shoot each other.
Um....

Those gotsta be the dumbest scientists ever.

Everyone knows there's no electricity in Canadia yet....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233065 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse shit. You are evading the point.
The point is that just because an entitity is receding faster than you can catch up to, it in now way means an infinite distance is traveled, or ever will be.
Moose shit next.

Or puppy dog shit.

Puppy dogs are cute.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#233066 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
In the early 60's there was a bus stop I used in front of a used foreign car lot.
Jaguar XK 120's and XK 150's for $750 snd $800. Triumphs, Sunbeam Alpines, Austin Healeys, MG's. Dirt cheap, and out of my range at the time.
Sob, sniff.......
Had one of those Avanti's almost run over my foot crossing a street.
I shoulda been a lawyer.
Ahh, you're making me drool. For me, a '64 Jag XKE convertible, British racing green with a beige leather interior. One can dream... How ya been, ya rascal?

United States

#233067 Jul 19, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
That should frighten me.
Curious that it doesn't.
Going from a macho redneck to a queen is a rather something or other something.

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#233068 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> There prolly are less than a dozen of them in the us nowaday. It's a treasure 4 sure..:)
At least a couple dozen, but they are now considered classics. Bought mine in 1978 from the original owner for $1400. Had it completely restored three years ago--it's now in showroom condition.

Manhattan Beach, CA

#233069 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That had to be a rare bird. Datsun and Toyora didn't start taking off until 71-72. Mine was a 1971 Pl510 I bought new for $2600. The pickup ran $1600, and the 240Z was $3600 with a waiting list.
Mine burned up ignition condensers from getting hot. Problem ended when I mounted it externally. Emission controls started then and caused problems. But I LOVED that car.
A Japanese car show is held every September on the Queen Mary grounds here in Long Beach. More than half the cars are Datsuns. Lots of 510s, Zs, about a dozen roadsters, and some very rare cars. I show mine once in a while. It's a car for having fun--I drive it on weekends.

United States

#233070 Jul 19, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, you're making me drool. For me, a '64 Jag XKE convertible, British racing green with a beige leather interior. One can dream... How ya been, ya rascal?
Surviving.

They had an XKE for $1500. Think it needed some work. Light yellow and red interior? Long time ago. Interesting lot. They had quite a collection of used European cars.

A, ot of odd cars on the road back then. Had a teacher that drove one of those Italian open in the front cars. Think it was a 3 wheeler.

Manhattan Beach, CA

#233071 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder where all the English Ford Anglias and Nash Metropolitans of the 50-60s went.
Catcher would like one of the Studebaker Avantis. Oooh, they were hot.
There are a few Avantis on the road still. Yes, I do like them. The Metropolitans were the first "miniature" cars. I saw about 10 parked together in a parking lot about a year ago--must have been a club meeting.

I'm also partial to the 50s Healeys and Maxwell Smart's car, a Sunbeam Tiger.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#233072 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Going from a macho redneck to a queen is a rather something or other something.
It's just a screen name, Davie. It doesn't mean anything.

Maybe next time I should come back as "Invisible Unicorn" so people know I exist.....

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#233073 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
The largest finite measure is 46.6 billion light years.
So 46.600001 light years is infinite.
Got it.
The expansion is infinite when it reaches the finite radius of 46.60001 light years.
Finite distance is infinite distance.
Thanks for clearing that up.
By the way, since what you are saying is stupid, and 46.60001 is not infinite,...
...is 46.60002 infinite? No?
then is 46.60003 infinite? No?
then is 46.60004 infinite? No?
Then please tell me at what distance the distance ceases to be finite???

Any distance you jabber on about will do.

The visible universe is finite, beyond that is theoretical.
Glad I could clear that up for you.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#233074 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Space could not have started infinite.
Space only exists with separation of objects, in this case, beginning with the extremely dense singularity.
This was all the universe, and the universe is all there is.
If it's expansion is to an infinite distance, as you claim, it had to reach infinite distance by a sequence of addition of space.
That's impossible. You can look it up.
Tell me do you know the difference in saying a distance is "infinite" and saying the distance is "unknown"?
I don't think you do.
Of course you being god would know, and since you're god you have the authority to make such proclamations. You hillbilly excuse for anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Richardfs 33,861
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 5 min Eagle 12 94
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 19 min Eagle 12 47
Reasoning with Insanity 37 min Eagle 12 29
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 40 min Eagle 12 4,450
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 51 min Eagle 12 155
There are no such things as gods or fairies 1 hr Eagle 12 75
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 14,801
More from around the web