Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258042 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232991 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd have to say that the metaphor doesn't quite work since we can all touch - and therefore measure - soccer.
But it's not clear to me that Chris hates soccer, that he so reviles it, he spends every waking moment letting that dominate his thinking. It sort of sounds like he just doesn't want to include it in his life and we're pestering him. I mean, what kind of friends are we that he feels so pressured, he needs to find a bunch of people to stand up to us?
Well everyone loves soccer, it's a constant topic. Chris' can't walk into a restaurant without a bunch of people watching it. If he hangs out with a group of friends at least one of them is going to be an avid soccer fan.

On top of that they honestly believe that to not like soccer denotes that there must be something wrong with him. Some are sympathetic, trying to "help" Chris like soccer while some are downright abusive, telling him that there must be something morally wrong with him.

However, Chris doesn't understand that by starting a conversation about soccer he is inviting it more and more. Furthermore, Chris doesn't try to meet people where they are or give convincing arguments, he just doesn't want to see anything having to do with soccer ever because he doesn't like it and he doesn't understand why everyone else does.

So, everyone's divided, it becomes Chris talking about the game in Mexico where fans murdered a ref and put his head on a pike in center field. Or the riots that have occurred after some soccer games. He rehashes this stuff over and over again. He will not believe that soccer is a way for the world to come together.

He finds the nationalism behind it appalling and is quick to point out that the only reason I am rooting for USA and the other guy is rooting for Germany is because we were born there.

He goes on and on in such a way that others start to feel threatened that it might be possible that soccer might be taken away.

Suddenly more and more people don't like soccer, they're still a huge minority but they are so vocal that people become a little nervous to talk about soccer in public, lest they offend those that hate it. Soon you have people threatening lawsuits that soccer paraphernalia is up in places it has been for decades.

etc... etc... I'm running out of gas on this analogy I think you get the point.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#232992 Jul 19, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well everyone loves soccer, it's a constant topic. Chris' can't walk into a restaurant without a bunch of people watching it. If he hangs out with a group of friends at least one of them is going to be an avid soccer fan.
On top of that they honestly believe that to not like soccer denotes that there must be something wrong with him. Some are sympathetic, trying to "help" Chris like soccer while some are downright abusive, telling him that there must be something morally wrong with him.
However, Chris doesn't understand that by starting a conversation about soccer he is inviting it more and more. Furthermore, Chris doesn't try to meet people where they are or give convincing arguments, he just doesn't want to see anything having to do with soccer ever because he doesn't like it and he doesn't understand why everyone else does.
So, everyone's divided, it becomes Chris talking about the game in Mexico where fans murdered a ref and put his head on a pike in center field. Or the riots that have occurred after some soccer games. He rehashes this stuff over and over again. He will not believe that soccer is a way for the world to come together.
He finds the nationalism behind it appalling and is quick to point out that the only reason I am rooting for USA and the other guy is rooting for Germany is because we were born there.
He goes on and on in such a way that others start to feel threatened that it might be possible that soccer might be taken away.
Suddenly more and more people don't like soccer, they're still a huge minority but they are so vocal that people become a little nervous to talk about soccer in public, lest they offend those that hate it. Soon you have people threatening lawsuits that soccer paraphernalia is up in places it has been for decades.
etc... etc... I'm running out of gas on this analogy I think you get the point.
I get the point.

You don't like homosexuals.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#232993 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sunlight is EM, sweetie. Plasma is 99% of matter and is very EMish.
Gravity and the nuclear forces is not what makes your computer, or you, work. Otherwise you would exist as a cloud of gas or a dumbass rock.:-)
Yes, it is an EM centered universe.
Hi Dave !!!

I think it's nice that you keep putting up your mother's picture.

;-)
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232994 Jul 19, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the point.
You don't like homosexuals.
I'm called to love everyone actually, even you.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#232995 Jul 19, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm called to love everyone actually, even you.
Oh, flower power and all huh?
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232996 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, flower power and all huh?
Something like that. God, neighbors, enemies. I think that pretty much covers everyone.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#232997 Jul 19, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm called to love everyone actually, even you.


I do it without being called, actually.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232998 Jul 19, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>I actually do understand empathy, I'm wondering how you can understand empathy as anything more than a cocktail of chemicals being transmitted to effective sectors of your brain.
Good! You are asking questions that a scientist would ask, though you are trying to force the answer to be a god. Not only a god, but your god. A god that you might never known had you been born in a different place and time.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm thinking that you understand your beliefs just about as well as you understand mine, which is not at all.
What beliefs do i have? What are your beliefs? Answering those two questions should clear that up.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think you're convicted I think you're just lazy. I think that's why you walked away from Christianity and you chose no religion, because it's easier.
So, one minute, Atheism is a religion and in the next it is not. I can certainly understand why believers and non-believers have trouble communicating.

What you may not want to consider; many Atheists read the bible from cover to cover and asked the tough questions, before coming to the conclusion that religion is man made and use to control others.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>I think the atheists want you to come back to our side, we take intellectually lazy people, I don't think they appreciate them so much.
Silly, childish insults, especially from anonymous people hiding behind their keyboard, don't work on me, but feel free to continue trying.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232999 Jul 19, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>However, Chris doesn't understand that by starting a conversation about soccer he is inviting it more and more. Furthermore, Chris doesn't try to meet people where they are or give convincing arguments, he just doesn't want to see anything having to do with soccer ever because he doesn't like it and he doesn't understand why everyone else does.
I would love to hear a convincing argument, but to communicate, two people must agree on the definitions of the words they are using. For instance, one cannot call the other a soccer fan at one point in the discussion and then in the next say something quite contrary as, "You're too lazy to be a soccer fan." That would make the person arguing with Chris look very foolish. One might start to think that the one arguing with Chris is a troll.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233000 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes all the forces to make the universe, em doesn't work without the others.
You have only singled out the captain obvious.
Sport, your magical particle poof could only happen one way to cause that magical expansion. It was charged and the charge created a granularity that blew apart equally. You can sort of duplicate it by zapping a drop of water and the molecules repel each other.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233001 Jul 19, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Dave !!!
I think it's nice that you keep putting up your mother's picture.
;-)
You like her with that butch cut?:-)

Hope all is going well for you little one.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233002 Jul 19, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. My computer is made by Dell. So it's not electricity that makes this thing go, but lazy engineering, stupidity and greed.
Your innate contrariness, aka bratty inner child, is showing, my dear.

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#233004 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You like her with that butch cut?:-)
Hope all is going well for you little one.
We are what we are, Dave.

If it gets any better, well, I'll still be a lesbian.

Be well, old one.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233005 Jul 19, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
We are what we are, Dave.
If it gets any better, well, I'll still be a lesbian.
Be well, old one.
We are what we think we are at the moment, young one. But as you should well know from your scientific knowledge, you have millions of years of chemical assembly and associated circuitry that affects your thinking laying dormant, just waiting to get fired up by some external trigger that can change your thinking. Your genetic programming allows for change and adaptation to a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. It is all in the triggers.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#233007 Jul 19, 2014
Buck Crick, Joe King, or whatever you would like to call yourself these days.

I see that this is old news. It aint necessarily so, knew about you 3 years ago.

Which hospital/jail are you in now? I will send you a get well/get out of jail free card.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233008 Jul 19, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. My computer is made by Dell. So it's not electricity that makes this thing go, but lazy engineering, stupidity and greed.
Oh, while I am thinking about it.

Your being a student of the human condition and origins, here is something that should go into your equations.

The first creature that develops a sentience and identity of self and species will pass what it named itself on to all of its progeny. Even if it drops scales and grows hair over the ensuing eons. The original "man" coild have been a different creature than what you see today. It is your present perception of what he should have looked like that may be in error. It is called evolution.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#233009 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sport, your magical particle poof could only happen one way to cause that magical expansion. It was charged and the charge created a granularity that blew apart equally. You can sort of duplicate it by zapping a drop of water and the molecules repel each other.
Hahahahah
You explained NOTHING, just hand waived, and spouted nonsense.
But this has nothing to do with your em universe, where you say light from the sun is em therefore em us more important.
But you are forgetting......
Without the strong nuclear force there would be no atoms the sun is made of.
Without the weak force there would be no fission to create the interaction that make the em emission of light and the rest of the spectrum.
Lastly without gravity there would be no sun at all.

So you have to look at them all as a sort of team and the electromagnetic force, is only one of the four that create everything in the sun and under it.:)

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233011 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahah
You explained NOTHING, just hand waived, and spouted nonsense.
But this has nothing to do with your em universe, where you say light from the sun is em therefore em us more important.
But you are forgetting......
Without the strong nuclear force there would be no atoms the sun is made of.
Without the weak force there would be no fission to create the interaction that make the em emission of light and the rest of the spectrum.
Lastly without gravity there would be no sun at all.
So you have to look at them all as a sort of team and the electromagnetic force, is only one of the four that create everything in the sun and under it.:)
(Yawn)

So what does it cost you to have someone change a tire for you?
You are obviously weak on figuring out how to do such things. Or lazier than hell. Or both.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#233012 Jul 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
(Yawn)
So what does it cost you to have someone change a tire for you?
You are obviously weak on figuring out how to do such things. Or lazier than hell. Or both.
You idiot, amongst other things I build engines.
In fact the people that know me know as the man that can do anything.
Seriously.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233013 Jul 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You idiot, amongst other things I build engines.
In fact the people that know me know as the man that can do anything.
Seriously.
Monkeys can put engines together. It is knowing how the components are linked, and the why, that makes the difference. You seem weak on linkage.

Your atomic structures follow the same laws as those mechanical parts do when it comes to motion and putting things into action. No magic. You get lost in esoterica.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 min IB DaMann 23,565
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min scientia potentia... 48,827
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 22 min IB DaMann 5,713
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Cuddles6778 21,887
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 10 hr Eagle 12 5
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 14 hr Scaritual 78
News In defense of faith 17 hr IB DaMann 7
More from around the web