Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#232631 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not believe creationism, and creationism is not a religion.
Try to be right about one thing. Just one thing. C'mon, you can do it!
That is not what you used to tell me and others, have you changed your views and forgot to tell everyone else?

Creationism is a belief, a faith, and part of several religions.

Note you will never see an atheist creationist – see above

#232632 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Impossible.
Expanding for 13.7 billion years (or any finite time) at any speed results in a travel of a finite distance.
If it accerated to 13 billion times faster than that speed, for 13 billion times 13 billion years, the result would be a finite distance.
And that distance would be no closer to infinite distance than with the expansion's first movement.
The expansion would be no nearer to infinite distance than the expansion occurring when you inflate a soccer ball. No closer.
Congratulations. You found another way to lose this argument. Bravo.
Why is the universe, as measured from the BB event 46 billion light years across and yet that event happened only 13.7 billion years ago?

Perhaps another little snippet to confuse your tiny mind, faster than light travel? Does it jar with your logic (and I use the word in the loosest possible sense) like expanding infinity and infinite apples?

No one is saying the observable universe is infinite, but space is infinite as indicated by measurements of the WMAP experiment.

#232633 Jul 15, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I haven't lost the argument bozo, you just are too clueless to understand.
The distance is only finite within the event horizon, anything beyond it is at infinity.
Yes you will only travel a finite distance, but to get to the target you will have to travel an infinite distance.
He also tries that ploy with me when he is stuck the cul de sac of his imagination

#232634 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
If something is expanding, it cannot be infinite.
No sequence of addition can be infinite.
What is the expansion immediately preceding its becoming infinite?
Add 1. The result is the next finite value, not infinite.
Take that value. Add 1. The result is the next finite value, not infinite.
Repeat this process forever. When will it become infinite? Answer? Never
When you have repeated this sequence for the age of the universe, the resulting distance of expansion is,...
Finite.
Repeat the sequence a billion times longer than the age of the universe, and the resulting distance is,...
Finite.
Speed it up. The result is,...
Finite.
After doing this, how much nearer to an infinite expansion are you?
Answer:
No nearer.
Wrong

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232635 Jul 15, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't complain about banning praying in schools if you won't complain about nativity scenes on city property and you've got yourself a deal.
As long as all groups get to use the public property, fine. They have done that in several cities and boy do the christians cry when anyone else gets to say their peace.

Christians put up a sign saying, "You need Jesus!" and all is well, but when Atheists put up, "Jesus is a myth"!!! Wow, what a bunch of cry babies christans become!
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>It's implied throughout. But specifically:
"No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.-John 15:16
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." -Joshua 1:9
Then I will live among the people of Israel and be their God,-Exodus 29:45
I suppose I could find something from Melville that I could cherry pick and come up with alleged implications, I would have to have a more direct set of verses, in context.

Even if you have a, "personal relationship" with god/jesus, that is still a religion.

#232636 Jul 15, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..LIE..........I totally agree with " ChristineM "...You did "not" weigh 18 pounds ..!!!
That was not me, that was Hiding but I also agree that he is a liar. Perhaps he gets it from his mom and dad. And I keep telling him not to measure his penis from his butt hole

#232637 Jul 15, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..oh..?!..."AuraM ytha"..claims that our Cosmos are 'expanding'...?!
Well, then good Sir ; in your cotton blends , and soft boots ... " Buck Crick "...is correct .
The WMAP experiment indicates space is infinite
There is no doubt that, evidenced several independent and complimentary ways, that the space of the visible universe is expanding.

#232638 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
There are no atheists left on this thread who can debate.
Just idiots and liars.
I'm getting bored.
Does anyone know of a thread where there are intelligent atheists?
Let me know.
So you are opting for the typical buckism you adopt losing and have no way out. You stomp your foot and claim success despite the evidence

That my dear is pure cowardice and highlights your poor debating skills

#232639 Jul 15, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You knucklehead , I said there are lots of things in the distance.
Another buckism – sow obfuscation and lies to make himself feel better about himself – it’s an egotestical (correct spelling) peculiarity used by hard of thinking

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232640 Jul 15, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
To believe that the very basis for someone's entire worldview can be separated from what their decisions are based on is a complete disconnect from reality. Until we are governed by machines you aren't going to see a true separation between church and state.
The separation of church and state does not mean that belief is removed or banned from the people in government. It was illegal for the state to force public school children to pray, especially to a state chosen god and that is why the Supreme Court ruled as it did.

There are several laws, which are being challenged, because they are allowing the state to pick christianity as the religion chosen religion.

The recent Supreme Court decision to allow prayer before government meetings, was really a huge loss to all sides. For instance; what is the main goal of the christain religion? When you pray, you have to go through jesus and you have to tell people that they are damned to Hell if you don't. Can you do that under the court's ruling? No. So you have to half step it and you know how your gods feel about half stepping it!

The smarter thing to do, in my opinion, was to have the individuals pray prior to going into the meeting. Group prayer is not what jesus taught.

#232641 Jul 15, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, but that would be a Buck-style debate.
Was that a deliberate oxymoron?
Patrick

United States

#232643 Jul 15, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
To believe that the very basis for someone's entire worldview can be separated from what their decisions are based on is a complete disconnect from reality. Until we are governed by machines you aren't going to see a true separation between church and state.
The US Constitution does not create a wall of separation of church and state.
Patrick

United States

#232644 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The separation of church and state does not mean that belief is removed or banned from the people in government. It was illegal for the state to force public school children to pray, especially to a state chosen god and that is why the Supreme Court ruled as it did.
There are several laws, which are being challenged, because they are allowing the state to pick christianity as the religion chosen religion.
The recent Supreme Court decision to allow prayer before government meetings, was really a huge loss to all sides. For instance; what is the main goal of the christain religion? When you pray, you have to go through jesus and you have to tell people that they are damned to Hell if you don't. Can you do that under the court's ruling? No. So you have to half step it and you know how your gods feel about half stepping it!
The smarter thing to do, in my opinion, was to have the individuals pray prior to going into the meeting. Group prayer is not what jesus taught.
The Obama administration, filed an amicus brief in support of the town's position that its prayer practice does not violate the Constitution.
Individuals can still pray before meetings. Court decisions in the 1960s were seen as restricting prayer while recent seen as lifting some restrictions.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232645 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
The US Constitution does not create a wall of separation of church and state.
What's your point?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232646 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Obama administration, filed an amicus brief in support of the town's position that its prayer practice does not violate the Constitution.
Individuals can still pray before meetings. Court decisions in the 1960s were seen as restricting prayer while recent seen as lifting some restrictions.
"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."
Patrick

United States

#232648 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."
Excellent quote but what is your point?.
Most lessons from history are contradictory.
Both political parties supported the prayer decision.
Hobby Lobby decision seems more disturbing furthering the trend toward granting more rights to corporations.
Patrick

United States

#232649 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point?
First Amendment is open to interpretation and court decisions.
Peace

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232650 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
First Amendment is open to interpretation and court decisions.
Peace
Very true, but you were talking as if you interpreted it as it was really meant and proclaimed there was no separation of church and state.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#232651 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are delusional. As a newborn did you have any understanding of Christ or christinaity?
You made the comment, I responded – so do you have a problem with the idea of a PUBLIC threads as well as facts?

Tell me, can matter create itself? Don't call me delusional until you prove the Big Bang, because then it is just a word and doesn't mean anything.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232652 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent quote but what is your point?.
Most lessons from history are contradictory.
Both political parties supported the prayer decision.
Hobby Lobby decision seems more disturbing furthering the trend toward granting more rights to corporations.
The point is simple; most of us think we know about the USSR, but most don't know, nor do they care, about the history leading up to the creation of the USSR. The christian church was very much in bed with the ruling class and tried to force their brand of christianity and tithing to the state church.

"Both political parties supported the prayer decision." Since it is almost impossible to be elected to office in the U.S. without claiming to be christian, I fully believe that few came out against it. Look how long it took us to end slavery.

Hobby Lobby decision: I agree. Now corporations have the right to pick and choose what medical treatments they cover. Gawd help you if you find yourself employed by a corporation run by a scientologist! Or a jew or a muslim! Your heart attack was caused by eating pork, so we are not covering it. Or, you did not pray to the proper god in the proper way, so that affliction is his punishment and we are not covering it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man center of the universe. 31 min Uncle Sam 160
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Mikko 23,046
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr _Bad Company 1,110
Heaven 9 hr Reason Personified 44
Evidence for God! 11 hr Uncle Sam 51
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... Thu Hooogle It 77
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE