Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256578 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#232866 Jul 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
When Fountain and me come to Socal, we're going to grab your shiny soccer shorts and give you an atomic wedgie you won't forget.
...As soon as I get this ankle monitor off.
Maybe use scizzors?

Some stable somewhere

#232867 Jul 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My lovely innocent Hiding holding a revolver?
“Ooh, that's a big one”
Scorpio - Dirty Harry 1971
hee, hee, hee, you're like the only person who noticed!

Hello Eagle! How're the kids? I hope good!

Some stable somewhere

#232868 Jul 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Natural selection is what it is.
I understand it.
I don't worship it.
Careful, careful! Evolution is going to be all mad and send you straight to <hiding looks up information in google scholar>

Oh! My bad. Wrong information.

Yup, you're right on this one. Carry on!

Some stable somewhere

#232869 Jul 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
1. Infinity is unquantifiable.
2, Distance is quantity.
3. If a physical distance is expressed as infinite, it would posses "quantifiableness" and "unquantifiable-ness " simultaneously. It would have to be an "infinite finite".
4. Being both "A" and "non-A" simultaneously violates universal logic.
5. Therefore, no physical distance can be infinite.
Do you have another question?
What if distance is "not" a quantity?

Some stable somewhere

#232870 Jul 17, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That face was derived from having to smile at idiots for a lifetime.
:-)
Sorry, an old habit.
Hey Dave! Glad to see you!

Don't worry about your face, you're perfectly fine. Safe-looking and kind of pleasant.

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#232871 Jul 17, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe use scizzors?
Hey, whose side are you on?

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#232872 Jul 17, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry about your face, you're perfectly fine. Safe-looking and kind of pleasant.
Oh, yeah?

That description fits your local RC priest to a T.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#232873 Jul 17, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha, that's great :)
:-)

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#232874 Jul 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah?
That description fits your local RC priest to a T.
Now THAT is a worry there, Catch.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#232875 Jul 17, 2014
You're right of course. It isn't.| called him on it and he still didn't understand his error.
Puck Frick always copies his "proofs" from the inside of someone's tinfoil hat without realising his foundations are non existent.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What if distance is "not" a quantity?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#232876 Jul 17, 2014
Not an issue - Puck Frick will only stick the scissors where he keeps his toothbrush.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, whose side are you on?
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232877 Jul 17, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing in the bible that explains any of the things you have claimed. You just said, "It is implied." and that is bullshit and you have shown why there are so many sects of christianity. Every believer creates their image of their god to match what they believe.
I actually showed you a collection of verses that show the very thing I claimed. The bible is a book about _______?

Man's relationship with God. Think of it this way. If Shakespeare wanted Romeo and Juliet to know he existed he would have to write himself into the play. The entire bible has God constantly interacting with man.

This includes you who were once far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions. Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault.-Colossians 1:21-22

What possible motivation for this could there be? I want you to use your brain for this. I want you to put that verse up against every assertion you've made about an evil man made God, and tell me what the motivation for those verses are.

I'll tell you this, if I were to write a book about an omnipotent power in order to keep people subjected to my authority. It sure wouldn't be the bible, and I certainly wouldn't be carrying a message about the rulers of this world clamoring in fear when that omnipotent power came back.

State run atheism in Korea works really, really well. That's the book I'd write.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#232878 Jul 17, 2014
hpcaban wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, the Doppler Effect has nothing to do with whether light traverses a straight line or not. The apparent shift in frequency has to do with whether the source of light is approaching or receding from the observer and with the speed of that source relative to the observer.
A wavy path is longer than a straight path. The Doppler Effect is also more complex than just simple speed to cause those shifts. Plus you have more interstellar medium to filter the light.

Watch the sunset and sunrise.

United States

#232879 Jul 17, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, sweetness. My face is something others just have to live with.

United States

#232880 Jul 18, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I don't make the shit up like you Dave, I just read it out the dictionary.
That is why you are repetitious. Like a parrot.

Try understanding what you "know".

Here, have a peanut.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#232881 Jul 18, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why you are repetitious. Like a parrot.
Try understanding what you "know".
Here, have a peanut.
No thanks I'll let you suck them out.

Dave Nelson said:

"I preferred the canned variety. They were softer and tastier from setting in solution so long. Saltier. Great for cleaning teeth. You opened the shell with your teeth then sucked and tongued the peanuts out.

I didn't eat the shells. Only animals can eat the peanut shells.

"Biled" peanuts is what they are called.

Good eatin'. "

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#232882 Jul 18, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually showed you a collection of verses that show the very thing I claimed. The bible is a book about _______?
Man's relationship with God. Think of it this way. If Shakespeare wanted Romeo and Juliet to know he existed he would have to write himself into the play. The entire bible has God constantly interacting with man.
This includes you who were once far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions. Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault.-Colossians 1:21-22
What possible motivation for this could there be? I want you to use your brain for this. I want you to put that verse up against every assertion you've made about an evil man made God, and tell me what the motivation for those verses are.
I'll tell you this, if I were to write a book about an omnipotent power in order to keep people subjected to my authority. It sure wouldn't be the bible, and I certainly wouldn't be carrying a message about the rulers of this world clamoring in fear when that omnipotent power came back.
State run atheism in Korea works really, really well. That's the book I'd write.
You might be interested to know that promising people eternal bliss in exchange for (oftentimes) nothing more than lip service belief, while simultaneously threatening them with perpetual torture for disbelief is a (not so) surprisingly effective technique for gaining, retaining, and ultimately controlling followers.

Also, it's not quite accurate to call the NK system "state run atheism." While it is true that most North Koreans are atheists, they effectively worship the Kim family. They are an excellent example of a cult of personality gone horribly wrong. North Koreans even display some of the strange quirks typically associated with religious belief - they praise the Kims for all the positive things that happen for them, much like religious people praise deities x, y, and z for things like making the green light in time. They keep little pictures of the Kims on their walls and they view them as, essentially, mythological figures - they believe all manner of ludicrous stories about them, such as the hilarious notion that the "original" Kim invented the hamburger.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232883 Jul 18, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you showed me that you can cherry pick the bible and I said, "Of course! I can too and I can come up with a collection of verses to support or condemn anything I want."
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>State run atheism in Korea works really, really well. That's the book I'd write.
First, Kim Jong-un calls himself North Korea's Supreme leader, that is not Atheism. He is calling himself, god. Absolute power corrupts absolutely; it is not just a cool saying. I could name many more 'christian' leaders who either thought they were god or god's top leader on Earth. None of them worked out very well either.

If we are done switching out meanings of words, showing that humans are easily corrupted, and cherry picking the bible, I would love to continue the conversation. But if you wish to continue these things, I am done.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232884 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true for me.
I simply disbelieve in the supernatural.
All of it.
Including all the stuff you also disbelieve in.
What you are describing is belief. You are just calling it something else.

You "disbelieve" a proposition. You therefore believe the contrary.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232885 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Buck, how about this?
I'm just throwing it out for discussion.
Maybe infinity is sort of like believers say God is--not subject to our physical/material/logic laws. Outside of the material world.
A superdidoopy Peter T. Hooper thing.
So infinity can be both "A" and "non-A" simultaneously and there's nothing we can say about it.
"outside the material world" is consistent with what I'm saying.

No physical infinite.

Infinity is an abstract concept with no application to the physical world.

Real mathematicians understand infinity is only a theoretical math concept.

Nothing more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min Into The Night 43,329
Atheism is a mental illness 38 min thetruth 16
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 41 min thetruth 76
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 44 min thetruth 94
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 46 min thetruth 803
News Why I quit atheism 47 min thetruth 714
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 47 min thetruth 352
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 54 min thetruth 21,204
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr Into The Night 544
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 10,065
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 18,594
More from around the web