Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244720 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232455 Jul 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Determined by how fast it's receding at the edge of the observable universe, we can't see past there.
The distance figure to the event horizon is estimated 19.3 Gpc, after that no amount of travel in distance or time, at the speed of light will reach there and no light beyond that point will ever reach us. Because it has moved into infinity.
No, it hasn't. It has moved into the unknown.

It cannot move "into infinity".

Infinity is an abstract concept. No concrete physical entity can be infinite.

Location hidden

#232456 Jul 13, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
"Infinite divisibility arises in different ways in philosophy, physics, economics, order theory (a branch of mathematics), and probability theory (also a branch of mathematics). One may speak of infinite divisibility, or the lack thereof, of matter, space, time, money, or abstract mathematical objects such as the continuum."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_divisib...
The second quote is just full of stupid and not worth bothering with.
Buck...Buck...seriously.
Infinity, whether infinite division or infinite extent, is entirely abstract.

Math theory can use the abstract concept by making special accomodations for the contradictory nature of it.

The concept cannot be applied anywhere else - not in physical reality.

Nothing physical can be infinite. It's the same as the married bachelor.

Location hidden

#232457 Jul 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity isn't about an amount, and it is you who doesn't understand infinity.
It simply means unmeasurable and has no end. If the expansion came to an end it would become finite. But as long it is expanding and especially , faster than light it's infinite.
This has a co-moving distance , like a torpedo launched from the back of a boat headed down a river that is moving faster the farther down stream you go. If the boat is to far away
the torpedo will never reach you. But there is a definite point down river that it will reach you from and beyond that point it can't because it will travel forever and never progress forward.
Wrong.

Infinity does not mean simply unmeasureable.

It also means unreachable.

You are saying a physical distance reaches the unreachable. That is a realized infinite magnitude, which is impossible, by definition

You do not understand the concept.

Your torpedo will never reach a distance other than a finite one.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232458 Jul 13, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't deny the possible existence of a god. I deny that there is any evidence to believe in one. I am without belief.
Do you believe that there is no Tooth Fairy? Yeah, it is that stupid. If there is no evidence for somethings existence, there is no reason to have any belief about that something.
It really comes down to, the believers what to make the non-believers sound as stupid as they are. Faith is a believers game, not mine.
Not , when you actually account for scripture ..

....one....' verse ' all generations will call me blessed ....( supposedly that is God , talking bout' Himself )

quite bold , vainglorious one might assume ....but , as the new colloquialism asserts " It's not prejudice ..IF IT'S TRUE ..!! "

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232459 Jul 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity, whether infinite division or infinite extent, is entirely abstract.
Math theory can use the abstract concept by making special accomodations for the contradictory nature of it.
The concept cannot be applied anywhere else - not in physical reality.
Nothing physical can be infinite. It's the same as the married bachelor.
..OMG..

I've never been so bored in my life ...( triple exclamation point )..

"BC"...there is a barrier , space ends ..!!

"AM"..we , can pierce that barrier ...and ...the next ..and , the next ...ad infinitum .

fuck ..you two will never back down ...may , I mediate ..??...settle this like adults ..

........rock , paper , scissors .......

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#232461 Jul 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it hasn't. It has moved into the unknown.
It cannot move "into infinity".
Infinity is an abstract concept. No concrete physical entity can be infinite.
You have an infinite argument, that's why we argue infinitly.:)
Dummy I win gimme my 2 dollars now.
Or we can argue till infinity gets here , or everybody else is sick of it.
Your turn....lol

“Rising”

Milky Way

#232462 Jul 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Infinity does not mean simply unmeasureable.
It also means unreachable.
You are saying a physical distance reaches the unreachable. That is a realized infinite magnitude, which is impossible, by definition
You do not understand the concept.
Your torpedo will never reach a distance other than a finite one.
Right!
Orange is the new black, that makes you an eggplant.
Yes infinity never ends, just like space.
PS
There maybe a infinite infinitesimal vacuum between your ears, this will cause a vortex to open into stupidity that will suck everything up in a massive implosion!:)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#232463 Jul 13, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a good movie. Like a lot that Hollywood produces, I don't take it too seriously as fact.
Wolverine will not be happy.

Location hidden

#232464 Jul 13, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you say a thing that is expanding can never be accurately measured b/c our measuring sticks aren't every expanding - ok, sure. So we would then measure and estimate the expansion :)
My measuring stick can show how long an object is in inches.

If I rotate it 180 degrees it shows how long an object is in centimetres.

Proof of a god?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232465 Jul 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Try being honest.
You believe there are no gods.
Simply lacking belief is not atheism, and it is not what you are expressing.
You express rejection of the proposition that there is a god. You have a belief.
Fine. You win. LOL!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232466 Jul 13, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientia est potentia.
Yes it is!
gort

France

#232467 Jul 13, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof of a god?
gort wrote:
<quoted text>
what would you do to save an innocent little jewish girl from being murdered by crazy jew hating nazis?
not one atheist expressed a willingness to do anything
I'm thrilled we have a god whose followers risked all to help an innocent child. many who laid their lives on the line were murdered.
i am pleased to see atheists get honest and concede they would do absolutely nothing. Their god is pure evil, as are they.
As parents, take note what these people worship, where there hearts are. If your child was in harms way, they would be happy to watch her burn to death. They would roast marshmallows om her as she pleads for help Their words.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#232468 Jul 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...just the one thing ..
They still subscribe to the supernatural ..
they , believe in spirits ; malign and benevolent ..
YOU CAN NOT ESCAPE ...THE FACT...MANKIND " IS " HARDWIRED TO ACCEPT THE SUPERNATURAL ... We were created to believe ..
No, that group doesn't.

Did you bother to read it before making the above claim?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#232469 Jul 13, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof of a god?
No, I'm afraid not.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232470 Jul 13, 2014
gort wrote:
<quoted text>
gort wrote:
<quoted text>
what would you do to save an innocent little jewish girl from being murdered by crazy jew hating nazis?
not one atheist expressed a willingness to do anything
I'm thrilled we have a god whose followers risked all to help an innocent child. many who laid their lives on the line were murdered.
i am pleased to see atheists get honest and concede they would do absolutely nothing. Their god is pure evil, as are they.
As parents, take note what these people worship, where there hearts are. If your child was in harms way, they would be happy to watch her burn to death. They would roast marshmallows om her as she pleads for help Their words.
You're a new idiot on the block! Or at least a new name some old idiot picked out. Since we can all read the history of WWII, your argument is silly and unfounded.

Bye.

Location hidden

#232471 Jul 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Right!
Orange is the new black, that makes you an eggplant.
Yes infinity never ends, just like space.
PS
There maybe a infinite infinitesimal vacuum between your ears, this will cause a vortex to open into stupidity that will suck everything up in a massive implosion!:)
Infinity never ends? What infinity?

Because something continues doesn't make it infinite.

No physical infinite is possible.

None has ever been discovered. Any physical thing discovered cannot be infinite.

If one physical infinite existed, there could be no computational foundation to the universe.

You might want to consider learning the distinction between abstract modeling and physical reality.

Location hidden

#232472 Jul 13, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof of a god?
If you rotate the ruler infinitely, it will create a black hole.

Location hidden

#232473 Jul 13, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm afraid not.
That's what I told the young man.

Hey look !!!

It's seems longer in centimetres.

I'd go with that

Location hidden

#232474 Jul 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you rotate the ruler infinitely, it will create a black hole.
I don't have time.

My schedule is full right now.

Also, if you sharpen it just right, you can cut your grass with it.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#232475 Jul 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity never ends? What infinity?
Because something continues doesn't make it infinite.
No physical infinite is possible.
None has ever been discovered. Any physical thing discovered cannot be infinite.
If one physical infinite existed, there could be no computational foundation to the universe.
You might want to consider learning the distinction between abstract modeling and physical reality.
Again this is the belief of a person who also believes things he cannot substantiate.
You hold no appeal to authority to pronounce what is and is not, or what can and cannot be.
There is no single computational foundation to the universe, but of all of them that exist,
they all share the quality of being abstract modeling of the physical reality.
The scenario I gave you is a real phenomenon of space/time as predicted by general relativity, the cosmological constant and physical observation grounded in mathematical certainty. The distance to the cosmological event horizon becomes infinite and you can never reach it even at the speed of light in infinite time or infinite distance traveled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 1 hr Shizle 9
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Shizle 10,638
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Paul Porter1 20,497
Is the Christian god good? 5 hr Shizle 3
Atheist believe, they are just hiding!!! 7 hr Richardfs 18
There is no meaning without God 11 hr Shizle 3
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 22 hr Anonymous1386 3
More from around the web