Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232657 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true, but you were talking as if you interpreted it as it was really meant and proclaimed there was no separation of church and state.
There is no "separation of church and state" in the Constitution and no intent for such.

The relevant clauses of the First Amendment were intended to prohibit the federal government from interfering with states and their laws regarding religion and state.

It was a "hands-off" provision, and applies to nobody but Congress.

"Congress shall make no law..."

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232658 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
History can be used to prove political points supporting religion or atheism, and can be used for the opposite.
Here is where you folks go off the deep end. Keeping religion out of government is not a support for Atheism. It is not running an Atheistic government. No group should have too much power and that is the point. You can pray as jesus taught you to pray any time you like. You can vote as you believe jesus would want you to vote. You just cannot make me follow your religion. You cannot tell me that jesus does not want me to buy alcohol on Sunday and then make a law against buying alcohol on Sundays. You cannot tell my children to pray to your god. A teacher in a public school cannot lead my child in a pray.
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>Most Christians, Jews and Atheist seem good friends.
Russia has a violent history as does much of Eastern Europe.
Yes, Christianity seems to dominate US politics
Peace
Have you ever told anyone that you are an Atheist? Of course not, but you should try it sometime to see how people react. Often, it isn't pleasant.

Do you remember or have you read about the Kennedy election? How many people did not trust him because he was catholic? How many feared that he was going to take orders from the pope?

Do you think an Atheist will be elected as president any time soon? According to some polls, we are the most hated and untrusted group in America and we never blew up a women's clinic, murdered doctors, or flew planes into buildings. All that we said was, "We don't believe in gods." {NOTE: I did not say that we believe that there is no god.}

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232659 Jul 15, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Sr5lY0TcdAwXX
Tell me, can matter create itself? Don't call me delusional until you prove the Big Bang, because then it is just a word and doesn't mean anything.
You are the one claiming to be born with knowledge of christianity that you could not possibly have at that stage in your life.

Regarding matter, you are making assumption that you are clueless about.

But of course we have been down this rout before, you and me and round and round you go, never learning, never changing, always coming up with the same BS to justify your claims.

First the BB is proven by several different observations including the expansion of the universe, the temperature of the universe, the radiation in the universe etc... etc. Just because you don’t want to believe it does not make it all go away.

Second, the laws of thermodynamics (including cause and effect) did not exist in this universe until after the event of the BB therefore completely irrelevant to the BB.

However yes matter can create itself in the quantum domain.
https://www.google.co.uk/search...

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#232660 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry buddy, your opinion is irrelevant.
“Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.” &#8213; Penn Jillette
"atheism isn't a religion like Liberace wasn't gay" - Sir Wasup

Location hidden

#232661 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is where you folks go off the deep end. Keeping religion out of government is not a support for Atheism. It is not running an Atheistic government. No group should have too much power and that is the point. You can pray as jesus taught you to pray any time you like. You can vote as you believe jesus would want you to vote. You just cannot make me follow your religion. You cannot tell me that jesus does not want me to buy alcohol on Sunday and then make a law against buying alcohol on Sundays. You cannot tell my children to pray to your god. A teacher in a public school cannot lead my child in a pray.
<quoted text>
Have you ever told anyone that you are an Atheist? Of course not, but you should try it sometime to see how people react. Often, it isn't pleasant.
Do you remember or have you read about the Kennedy election? How many people did not trust him because he was catholic? How many feared that he was going to take orders from the pope?
Do you think an Atheist will be elected as president any time soon? According to some polls, we are the most hated and untrusted group in America and we never blew up a women's clinic, murdered doctors, or flew planes into buildings. All that we said was, "We don't believe in gods." {NOTE: I did not say that we believe that there is no god.}
Atheists believe there is no god.

And we elected a muslim president - twice.

So I don't think there's anything American voters wouldn't elect. And they deserve what they get.

Location hidden

#232662 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one claiming to be born with knowledge of christianity that you could not possibly have at that stage in your life.
But of course we have been down this rout before, you and me and round and round you go, never learning, never changing, always coming up with the same BS to justify your claims.
First the BB is proven by several different observations including the expansion of the universe, the temperature of the universe, the radiation in the universe etc... etc. Just because you don’t want to believe it does not make it all go away.
Second, the laws of thermodynamics (including cause and effect) did not exist in this universe until after the event of the BB therefore completely irrelevant to the BB.
No, matter cannot create itself.

That would require matter to exist before it exists.

You are very confused, Christine.

Maybe matter could create itself in infinity? Bwhahshahahahahahahahahha.....

Location hidden

#232663 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You know less about this than an infant. You have no idea when the laws of thermodynamics began to exist. None. Zero. No clue.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#232664 Jul 15, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain how NOTHING, magically expanded. Radiation can't come from nothing, there can be no temperature since there is nothing to cause it

NOTHING CREATES NOTHING, that is a fact.
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#232665 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is where
you folks
go off the deep end. Keeping religion out of government is not a support for Atheism. It is not running an Atheistic government. No group should have too much power and that is the point. You can pray as jesus taught you to pray any time you like. You can vote as you believe jesus would want you to vote. You just cannot make me follow your religion. You cannot tell me that jesus does not want me to buy alcohol on Sunday and then make a law against buying alcohol on Sundays. You cannot tell my children to pray to your god. A teacher in a public school cannot lead my child in a pray.
<quoted text>
Not certain as to "you folks" ?
Interested in American history and Constitutional government.
Atheist friends are quite open about their views, take part in politics and seem happy.
Quoting Jesus is difficult as per translation issues. "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart D. Ehrman is interesting whether one agrees or not.
Peace

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#232666 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, matter cannot create itself.
That would require matter to exist before it exists.
You are very confused, Christine.
Maybe matter could create itself in infinity? Bwhahshahahahahahahahahha.....
Thank you, at least someone has some intelligence here besides me
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#232667 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "separation of church and state" in the Constitution and no intent for such.
The relevant clauses of the First Amendment were intended to prohibit the federal government from interfering with states and their laws regarding religion and state.
It was a "hands-off" provision, and applies to nobody but Congress.
"Congress shall make no law..."
....plus the court decisions interpreting the first Amendment.
Reading the Constitution is fun but many forget the many years of court decisions?
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232668 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>

[QUOTE who="TheBlackSheep"] <quoted text>
I suppose I could find something from Melville that I could cherry pick and come up with alleged implications, I would have to have a more direct set of verses, in context.
Don't have one where God or Jesus says "I want to have a relationship with you." I just have God relentlessly pursuing the Israelites and Jesus committing the ultimate act of love for His disciples. Oh and calling them His friends. You have Jesus saying "follow me" You have him rejecting people who cast out demons in His name saying "I never knew you". You have Him telling the thief "Today you will be with me in paradise." There's also John 3:16, most famous of verses, which speaks of intent for Jesus' coming. Mind you, this is what I can snatch off the top of my head, this stuff is implied throughout. So, this becomes a conclusion that can be drawn by looking at the Word of God holistically: God can't be around sin, but He wants to be around you.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if you have a, "personal relationship" with god/jesus, that is still a religion.
I never said it wasn't. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In my opinion if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice, therefore atheism is a religion.
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#232669 Jul 15, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
So have blacks. What is your point?
1960s Black Civil Rights movement was supported by many Christians, Jews, Agnostics and Atheists .
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232670 Jul 15, 2014
This church and state thing has been on my mind so here it is...

The intent behind it is to avoid religious persecution. It was written in a time that many people could look back a couple of generations at a time when the Roman Catholics or other churches with a lot of power were persecuting people who did not subscribe to their brand. It was a big reason for the influx of many colonists to this great nation.

(On a side tangent I'd like to add that if I were living in western Europe in those times I would also be a heretic, and subject to being persecuted based on my protestantism. So, in a way, my people have also been victims of the atrocities of Christianity, though you won't hear me bringing it up in a way to denigrate Catholicism.)

Now, atheists are bringing it up in a big way, why? Because our federal government endorses Christianity. No specific brand of it, but Christianity nonetheless. They don't go any further than the endorsement. They don't require you worship it, or that you follow a specific sect. But the intent behind the argument of separation is to weaken Christianity, thereby promoting their own religion, that there is no God. Which is an agenda that is religiously motivated.

Location hidden

#232671 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
....plus the court decisions interpreting the first Amendment.
Reading the Constitution is fun but many forget the many years of court decisions?
Courts are not allowed to rewrite the Constitution.

With the First Amendment cases, they rewrote it anyway.

They took an establishment clause which was ratified to prohibit federal interference with matters of religion and now use it as a requirement for interfering with matters of religion.

The rewrote it to mean the opposite of the text.

Location hidden

#232672 Jul 15, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
This church and state thing has been on my mind so here it is...
The intent behind it is to avoid religious persecution. It was written in a time that many people could look back a couple of generations at a time when the Roman Catholics or other churches with a lot of power were persecuting people who did not subscribe to their brand. It was a big reason for the influx of many colonists to this great nation.
(On a side tangent I'd like to add that if I were living in western Europe in those times I would also be a heretic, and subject to being persecuted based on my protestantism. So, in a way, my people have also been victims of the atrocities of Christianity, though you won't hear me bringing it up in a way to denigrate Catholicism.)
Now, atheists are bringing it up in a big way, why? Because our federal government endorses Christianity. No specific brand of it, but Christianity nonetheless. They don't go any further than the endorsement. They don't require you worship it, or that you follow a specific sect. But the intent behind the argument of separation is to weaken Christianity, thereby promoting their own religion, that there is no God. Which is an agenda that is religiously motivated.
The intent was to prohibit federal involvement.

Jefferson: "It must then be left to the states".
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#232673 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Courts are not allowed to rewrite the Constitution.
With the First Amendment cases, they rewrote it anyway.
They took an establishment clause which was ratified to prohibit federal interference with matters of religion and now use it as a requirement for interfering with matters of religion.
The rewrote it to mean the opposite of the text.
"Courts are not allowed to rewrite the Constitution."
Marbury v. Madison -1803 - case in which the Court formed the basis for the exercise of judicial review i under Article III of the Constitution.

You many not agree with the decisions albeit judicial review seems established. Decisions favored some groups in the 1960s and other now.
Peace

Location hidden

#232674 Jul 15, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Courts are not allowed to rewrite the Constitution."
Marbury v. Madison -1803 - case in which the Court formed the basis for the exercise of judicial review i under Article III of the Constitution.
You many not agree with the decisions albeit judicial review seems established. Decisions favored some groups in the 1960s and other now.
Peace
Judicial review is not "rewriting the Constitution".

Justices are still confined to the document, as written and amended.

In fact, they take an oath swearing to adhere to it.

Most of them lied, of course. At least the liberals did.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#232675 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Mom and Dad said I was born weighing 18 pounds and with a thick coat of fur, clutching my sizable penis.
I don't remember.
They should have taken a photo.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#232676 Jul 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The State of Alabama put me in prison for 12 years.
I wish I had known they were only an imagined entity.
You didn't really get what I wrote, hey?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 35 min Simon 2,770
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Science 61,764
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 4 hr Eagle 12 99
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 15 hr Eagle 12 5,972
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Tue Regolith Based Li... 28,326
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
More from around the web