Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more
Lucifes begotten Son

Chattanooga, TN

#232242 Jul 10, 2014
"Atheism requires as much faith as religion?"

To help the deluded minds of christians out some, NO, it takes zero faith at all to be Atheist.
Atheist means simply to not believe in nonsense such as gods or an afterlife. No faith is needed to be sane & logical.

It sure takes a lot of faith to believe there is an all knowing god who is also loving yet he takes the time to create bad boy Satan, eternal hell then knowing who will end up there, goes ahead & creates people anyway. That would make that bible god a lot more evil than his Satan but christians never stop to think of how illogical it is to believe such rubbish. The main excuse given is the god did it to provide free will which is a crock since there would be zero reason to do such a thing to create free will if there had been a god. A god would have been highly intelligent not the idiot christians make one out to be.

Being from the South, I know the bible like the back of my hand. I did study on at least a dozen other religions in College & christianity is in fact the most dangerous of them all. I live just north of the buckle of the Bible Belt yet still in the Belt. TN & KY are the last two States of the Bible Belt. Orlando is mecca of it yet it also has a large LGBT population at the same time. Atlanta is the buckle. TN is just north of that but still deep in it so we must wear boots around here even in summer when not snowing!
CunningLinguist

Reddick, FL

#232244 Jul 10, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm sorry, but you must be mistaking me for someone who might listen to what an antichrist has to say. i hope you didn't put too much effort in this waste:-)
Actually I'm not anti-anything!

Others... long before you're saviour said this...

Essentially this concept is old as civilized man... There is nothing original about it in your religion.

"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE

"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE

"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE

"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE

"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE

I am an equal opportunity skeptic.

I find all religions to be nothing more than superstition.

I post my opinion and comment.

Enjoy your faith if brings you happiness.
Patrick

United States

#232245 Jul 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. People keep their cats' veterinary appointments secret from the cat until the last minute.
"We never landed on the Moon " another of your conspiracy theories?
Cats :-)

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#232247 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my belief - it is the academic definition in philosophy.("the belief that no gods exist")
What atheists believe about the definition is no more relevant than what I believe.
If atheists don't like what the term means, they are free to adopt a different one.
And how did babies communicate to you what they believe?
Baby talk?
Is that where you learned the Pope is not catholic and infinity is a place?
Wrong,

Ok so you discount atheist in the definition of atheism, fair enough, so we are now just talking about dictionary definitions and I still win

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

See also
http://www.defineatheism.com/
Linguistic structure
Absence (rather than opposition) is indicated by the "a-" prefix, meaning "without," hence "atheism" can be concisely characterized as "without theism."
Etymology
The word "atheism" originated from the Ancient Greek word "&#7940;&#952; &#949;&#959;&#962; "4 ("átheos") meaning "godless" or, to emphasize it more generally, "without deities."

And we are pretty sure a new born child lacks belief in gods no matter how they communicate.
I am also pretty sure they are without dietires.

And how we will turn to your lying BS makebelieve

Jeez you really do yourself a disservice and taint any honest (LOL) claims you make with your personal brand of BS. I proved to you by 3 Popes (with documentation) to one archbishop that I was right, and you have never been able to provide any evidence that I made such a lying claim because I did not so perhaps it’s time to man up and accept that you had your butt crack kicked.

Of course your pedantic view on the meaning of atheism may have much to do width your believe the youtube is proof of god and that you can grow apples on infinite trees and of course that archbishops have more clout in the Vatican and catholic church than popes.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#232248 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's difficult for me to imagine stupidity on your level. So, thank you for this display.
I had this stupid cat once......

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232249 Jul 11, 2014
Lucifes begotten Son wrote:
"Atheism requires as much faith as religion?"
To help the deluded minds of christians out some, NO, it takes zero faith at all to be Atheist.
Atheist means simply to not believe in nonsense such as gods or an afterlife. No faith is needed to be sane & logical.
It sure takes a lot of faith to believe there is an all knowing god who is also loving yet he takes the time to create bad boy Satan, eternal hell then knowing who will end up there, goes ahead & creates people anyway. That would make that bible god a lot more evil than his Satan but christians never stop to think of how illogical it is to believe such rubbish. The main excuse given is the god did it to provide free will which is a crock since there would be zero reason to do such a thing to create free will if there had been a god. A god would have been highly intelligent not the idiot christians make one out to be.
Being from the South, I know the bible like the back of my hand. I did study on at least a dozen other religions in College & christianity is in fact the most dangerous of them all. I live just north of the buckle of the Bible Belt yet still in the Belt. TN & KY are the last two States of the Bible Belt. Orlando is mecca of it yet it also has a large LGBT population at the same time. Atlanta is the buckle. TN is just north of that but still deep in it so we must wear boots around here even in summer when not snowing!
You are wrong, LooseAssSon. Atheism is a belief.

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).

Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia).

Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana).

Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia).

According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy).

Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion).

Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Location hidden

#232250 Jul 11, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong,
Ok so you discount atheist in the definition of atheism, fair enough, so we are now just talking about dictionary definitions and I still win
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
See also
http://www.defineatheism.com/
Linguistic structure
Absence (rather than opposition) is indicated by the "a-" prefix, meaning "without," hence "atheism" can be concisely characterized as "without theism."
Etymology
The word "atheism" originated from the Ancient Greek word "&#7940;&#952; &#949;&#959;&#962; "4 ("átheos") meaning "godless" or, to emphasize it more generally, "without deities."
And we are pretty sure a new born child lacks belief in gods no matter how they communicate.
I am also pretty sure they are without dietires.
And how we will turn to your lying BS makebelieve
Jeez you really do yourself a disservice and taint any honest (LOL) claims you make with your personal brand of BS. I proved to you by 3 Popes (with documentation) to one archbishop that I was right, and you have never been able to provide any evidence that I made such a lying claim because I did not so perhaps it’s time to man up and accept that you had your butt crack kicked.
Of course your pedantic view on the meaning of atheism may have much to do width your believe the youtube is proof of god and that you can grow apples on infinite trees and of course that archbishops have more clout in the Vatican and catholic church than popes.
You forgot to tell us how you know what babies believe.

And your definitions are in error.

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).

Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana).

Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia).

According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy).

Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion).

Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#232252 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh. Just like waaasssuuup?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#232253 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are we agreeing so much lately?

For those of you who think that atheism is not a belief, could you explain to me what else you "know" is not a belief?

Location hidden

#232254 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Again this was to answer your statement that a singularity had "finite" values, it does not.
But this isn't what we were talking about in the first place, which is the cosmological event horizon. Which is the largest comoving distance from which light emitted now can ever reach the observer in the future. No number can span the distance no matter how large it becomes, therefore it is infinitely large, and this is why the infinite flat model universe is called such.
Now it is true this horizon is at a finite distance, but to try and exceed that distance is impossible because no number is large enough to do so. A realizable infinity, which is what you asked for. This IS the infinity of our universe that is real, and exists in the physical reality. So you see a realizable infinity does exist despite your denial.
You are saying a presently non-existent future observer in the presently non-existent future time exists in physical reality.

You are saying a hypothetical calculation means something calculated physically exists.

That is wrong, and that is stupid.

No infinite can exist in physical reality. The one you just described is a theoretical model; it is imagination. You can have all the physical infinities in your imagination you want.

In physical reality, we are a bit more limited.

Location hidden

#232256 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

Why are we agreeing so much lately?
It's proof you can learn under the power of my brilliance.

Location hidden

#232257 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

It's difficult for me to imagine stupidity on your level. So, thank you for this display.
You're welcome, maam.

#232258 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a dog who was stupid, never realised she was not a pup anymore and repeatedly bumped her head when she walked under something.

#232259 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So did you, you stated this claim, you provide evidence that babies are born with belief in any dietiy

No they are not in error, they just contradict your home school PhD religion philosophy for dummys book lirnin’.

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#232260 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying a presently non-existent future observer in the presently non-existent future time exists in physical reality.
You are saying a hypothetical calculation means something calculated physically exists.
That is wrong, and that is stupid.
No infinite can exist in physical reality. The one you just described is a theoretical model; it is imagination. You can have all the physical infinities in your imagination you want.
In physical reality, we are a bit more limited.
A observer now or in the future is irrelevant.
It isn't a hypothetical calculation, as calculation means a "mathematical determination".
We are talking about a calculation of this physical reality.
Yes the condition physically exists, and we are seeing light that is nearly 13.7 billion years old now. but will never see light from further than 14.3Gpc. From there on out everything is causally disconnected from us forever and has moved into infinity.
This condition that exist right now, the same as if you try to fly a an aircraft using afterburners on a trip that exceeds it's fuel burn rate per hr past it's physical limit, it will run out of fuel before it reaches it's destination. A calculation of a condition in the physical reality.
This is the infinite universe.

http://io9.com/new-survey-supports-theory-of-...
Patrick

United States

#232261 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome, maam.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

It is low comedy but appreciated for a laugh

Location hidden

#232262 Jul 11, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

So did you, you stated this claim, you provide evidence that babies are born with belief in any dietiy
I stated no claim.

You stated the claim here. You claim to know what babies believe.

You have yet to back up your mouth.

Then you lied, trying to place the burden elsewhere.

Typical Christinemc^2 - make a claim, it fails, then lie about it.

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#232263 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh. Just like waaasssuuup?
Well, he might have been a little smarter than waaasssuuup.

#232264 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's proof you can learn under the power of my brilliance.
Buck, dreariest buck.

Will you stop pretending to be a sociopath, have you not realised yet that the only persona taking in by your dunning kruger personality problem is you?

Location hidden

#232265 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A observer now or in the future is irrelevant.
It isn't a hypothetical calculation, as calculation means a "mathematical determination".
We are talking about a calculation of this physical reality.
Yes the condition physically exists, and we are seeing light that is nearly 13.7 billion years old now. but will never see light from further than 14.3Gpc. From there on out everything is causally disconnected from us forever and has moved into infinity.
This condition that exist right now, the same as if you try to fly a an aircraft using afterburners on a trip that exceeds it's fuel burn rate per hr past it's physical limit, it will run out of fuel before it reaches it's destination. A calculation of a condition in the physical reality.
This is the infinite universe.
http://io9.com/new-survey-supports-theory-of-...
You are a moron.

It is a hypothetical and theoretical calculation.

Theoretical math can have infinite values. Nothing physical can.

Exceeding what you can observe is not the same as infinite.

Proof:

1. If the distance you refer to is infinity, half that distance is also infinity.

2. Therefore, the distance is equal to half the distance, but also greater than half the distance.

3. In a physical universe, "equal to" and "greater than" is a contradiction.

4. Therefore, your infinite universe cannot be a physical universe.

I'll ask again - please provide an example of a physical infinite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 33 min Mr_SKY 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 6,340
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 5 hr par five 9,218
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 hr Dogen 17,917
News Is Religion Childish? (Sep '14) 12 hr The Headlines 160
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 20 hr thetruth 20
News The Consequences of Atheism Fri thetruth 1,106
More from around the web