Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
222,641 - 222,660 of 225,586 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..good discrimination ....Boys don't belong in the girls bathroom ...neighborhood boys , are never looked at as potential babysitters ...
a man ..is not allowed to be a den mother ...
DISCRIMINATION ....IS ...GOOD ....
..sometimes ...
sorry ..we go in to pee ...and , we're not in the army beyacht , sometimes we miss ..
I'm Asian, so humour me.

Explain to me why boys and girls can't pee in the same room.

Explain to me what a den mother is.

Explain to me how discrimination is good.

Explain to me how you miss. Perhaps you should squat until you learn how to use that gun, yes?

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Behaviors that "are about the survival of the organism" are about the survival of the genes.
It's hard to simplify this more for you.
..Actually , it "be" the Atheists , who do not understand self sacrifice ...

You claim " for the proliferation of the species "

that does not explain anything , why police men , firefighters , army , doctors ..sacrifice their lives for weaker less important souls ...

God is REAL ...

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I'm not a Christian. It's cute that you think so.
..you've been to Church ..

As has been Hitler , Stalin ...

Are you now claiming , a childhood foundation means nothing ..??

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm Asian, so humour me.
Explain to me why boys and girls can't pee in the same room.
Explain to me what a den mother is.
Explain to me how discrimination is good.
Explain to me how you miss. Perhaps you should squat until you learn how to use that gun, yes?
I used to think Asians were intelligent ..oops..

A. for safety , men may rape . We are so very much stronger ..

B..den mother , a fat white devil with the charge of little girls ..

C..We all have our talents ..I don't want to learn how to drive from an oriental ...like you .

D..I never miss , sometimes my stream is so strong , toilet water just splashes out ...other , times ( I'm not circumcised ) urine hits the hood , and a spray ensues ..now , I apologize for that that ...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..have you been drinkin'..??
I'm a sensitive man ...I honesty feel , you could have put this in a nicer way ..?
Sorry, it makes me angry when someone tries to say that there was a time when the majority
of people thought slavery was morally acceptable. There was a time when Rome had twice as many slaves as people who were free. I don't think that if there were a vote, slaves included
that the majority felt is was moral , ethical or even acceptable.

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, it makes me angry when someone tries to say that there was a time when the majority
of people thought slavery was morally acceptable. There was a time when Rome had twice as many slaves as people who were free. I don't think that if there were a vote, slaves included
that the majority felt is was moral , ethical or even acceptable.
oh , there was no plebiscite in the Roman Empire ...

I'm embarrassed ..' now.'..You are totally justified in labeling ' me ' an .." ass sucking pig donkey that needs to be skewered " ...

What ..( I accept your apology ..Aura )..if we put to the vote , the use of fossil fuels , surely the majority would claim , they are destructive ...

slavery was the economic engine as is Oil of today ..both are wrong ..BUT , we need our jobs ..

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Actually , it "be" the Atheists , who do not understand self sacrifice ...
You claim " for the proliferation of the species "
that does not explain anything , why police men , firefighters , army , doctors ..sacrifice their lives for weaker less important souls ...
God is REAL ...
Don't be ridiculous. Atheist police officers, firefighters, doctors, military, etc., also sacrifice their lives for people.

Your deity is no more real than anyone else's deities, spirits or whatever is believed via enculturation. All deities enjoy equal evidence to suggest their existence.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..you've been to Church ..
As has been Hitler , Stalin ...
Are you now claiming , a childhood foundation means nothing ..??
I'm not from your culture and I did not share your upbringing. Every time some Christian friend has taken it upon themselves to introduce me to your bizarre religion, I've been shocked, appalled and, to be honest, amazed at what you people will believe and how you will act in your churches.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

number four wrote:
<quoted text>I used to think Asians were intelligent ..oops..
C..We all have our talents ..I don't want to learn how to drive from an oriental ...like you .
D..I never miss , sometimes my stream is so strong , toilet water just splashes out ...other , times ( I'm not circumcised ) urine hits the hood , and a spray ensues ..now , I apologize for that that ...
That's a bit racist of you. Your post.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

About the 2 commandment:

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

<<<Notice that there is no "AND">>>

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Try reading it like this:

4 Don't make a weapon. <Note the period.>

5 Don't pick up a weapon and use it on others.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Behaviors that "are about the survival of the organism" are about the survival of the genes.
It's hard to simplify this more for you.
Then I was correct - the focus is on propelling the genes to the next generation - via reproduction, which is what I said, and what you denied.

And you said "no theorist" has said this:

Richard Dawkins: "I shall argue that the fundamental unit of selection, and therefore of self-interest, is not the species, nor the group, nor even, strictly, the individual. It is the gene, the unit of heredity."

For a materialist evolution crusader, you sure are ignorant about it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you wrote:
<quoted text>
Please note the "even being alleged as the ONLY Darwinian purpose for living..." is what you wrote.
My entire position here is that same sex sexual behavior is the product of evolution. It's not a reproductive strategy. I've already listed the most likely explanations for its evolution - social cohesion, tension reduction, etc.
You are incorrectly trying to make same sex sexual behavior about reproduction.
And I am again correct - Dawkins' selfish gene "theory" alleges exactly what I said - that propelling the gene, the unit of heredity, is the purpose of evolution.

"... a machine programmed to do everything in its power to propagate copies of the genes which ride inside it."

Primates and humans do this by sexual reproduction.

I didn't "try to make" homosexual behavior "about" anything.

The attempt to explain it from the evolutionary perspective was yours, and you executed the task in ridiculous fashion, contradicting your own tenets of faith in evolution.

It's your failure. I'm just pointing it out.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

number four wrote:
<quoted text>I used to think Asians were intelligent ..oops..
A. False
B. Fat people are the least of my worries. In a competition, I would just step to the side and trip a cankle.
C. I was taught by one of the best drivers in the world. He was quite animated while strapped in with his helmet on. I have no idea what he was trying to say.
D. Exactly. Tissue is there for a reason.

Seriously. I have a friend who was hosting a small party. She was freaking out because she only had 3 rolls of toilet paper.

I said, "There's only 3 girls here. I doubt that the boys are going to poop that much."

She said, "But they're going to pee."

She didn't know that boys don't wipe when they pee. She's 25 years old.

It worked out OK.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I was responding to your " even to being alleged as the ONLY Darwinian purpose for living.."
Dawkins clearly notes that evolution is about survival and reproduction. Note the survival part there? Not only reproduction. You were trying to contradict my claim - that same sex sexual behavior is not about reproduction - by stating the above - " even to being alleged as the ONLY Darwinian purpose for living.."
So your Dawkins quote above demonstrates that you're incorrect. Behavior is not always about reproduction; same sex sexual behavior did not evolve as a means of reproduction.
Additionally, if you actually read the book, he's outlining a model from which to understand how genes interact with other genes. His whole point is that it's not only about the individual, that we can analyze evolution at the level of the gene - how they interact with each other, gene complexes and the genome itself.
You're twaddling again.

Dawkins maintains survival IS about reproduction and propelling the gene.

"a machine programmed to do everything in its power to propagate copies of the genes which ride inside it."

Your task, at which you are presently failing, is to explain how homosexuality in primates and humans evolved in spite of the evolutionary focus on perpetuation of genes.

Darwinian theory clearly predicts that homosexual sexual behavior WOULD NOT evolve. But in the world where Darwinism is sacred, when its predictions fail, people like you and the authors you cite simply make up ad hoc rationalizations. The model cannot be scrutinized.

That, Dear One, is my point. Darwinism explains EVERYTHING. A theory which explains everything explains nothing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

I'm ignoring your requests here.
Why only this one?

5th request:

Is rape a normal behavior in primates and humans?
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Jumping back in 20 pages later:

About moral relativism: Let's say a culture establishes a set of morals in which those that are not of a certain ethnicity are systematically murdered. We would know that's wrong right? We would believe that it is not okay to do that, right?

But on what authority can we even say that. If we are the product of genetics eugenics is actually a consistent philosophy and the correct way to work out one's faith in genetics (unless of course, he is of a genetic disposition that has been determined inferior). The only logical reason why we wouldn't is because we have no way of quantifying what makes one person superior to another. But, if we are products of nothing more than genetics we have to believe we are not equal beings.

So, why does that up there sound like madness? By what moral authority do we know that fairness and equality are the only way to go? Why do we know this with every fiber of our being? Because it isn't actually logical to believe in fairness, compassion, and equality if we are not made in the image of God.

For the other things, like helping the less fortunate, or being kind, forgiving your enemies, we seem to inherently know that too. Even though it is in defiance of individual survival.

If morals aren't passed down by God, then all we have is morals relative to our culture, we're right and they're wrong, and they had better go along or go away. The fact is there are parts of Christianity that disagree with any culture that adopts it, and individually they have to work out those kinks. But, they can, with authority, say they know the way things were created to be.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, structural inequalities increase the transmission of STDs. Discrimination against people decreases their abilities to obtain health resources and decreases their ability to protect themselves.
That's why HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis rates are highest among the world's poor. Try actually learning for once in your life:
"The distribution and outcome of chronic infectious diseases, such as HIV/AIDS, are so tightly linked to social arrangements that it is difficult for clinicians treating these diseases to ignore social factors. Although AIDS is often considered a “social disease,” clinicians may have radically different understandings of what makes AIDS “social.” Many doctors have focused on the “behaviors” or “lifestyles” that place some at risk for HIV infection [20–23]. Yet risk has never been determined solely by individual behavior: susceptibility to infection and poor outcomes is aggravated by social factors such as poverty, gender inequality, and racism [24–26]. Unsurprisingly, in less than a decade AIDS became a disease that disproportionately affected America's poor, many of whom engaged in “risk behaviors” at a far lower rate than others who were not at heightened risk of infection with sexually transmitted diseases [27–29]."
http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Ado...
Thanks for dumping that load of bull shit on us.

We all know the liberal academic pinhead argument that blames everything on discrimination.

Poverty, disease, and bad hair are the result of wealthy people discriminating.

Same crap, different day. Yammer, yammer yammer....

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Here's a funny turn of events.

Many christians hailed the Supreme Court ruling on Hobby Lobby as a victory! Businesses could pick and choose, according to their beliefs, what medical issues they covered.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3653703158001/poli...

Just 7 days later, the same christians are blasting a business for picking and choosing what their employees say to their customers.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3660891915001/tell...

If you watch the video, at about 1:13, the fired worker talks about how she did not agree with her employer and continued to do as she pleased.

Christians demand that you have the right to pray to their god, that you have the right to follow their opinion of what their god wants, and that you have the right to acknowledge their god. Their version of freedom of religion and speech is great; just as long as it their religion and promoting their religion. Otherwise, you just need to shut up!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Lab28 wrote:
Jumping back in 20 pages later:
About moral relativism: Let's say a culture establishes a set of morals in which those that are not of a certain ethnicity are systematically murdered. We would know that's wrong right? We would believe that it is not okay to do that, right?
But on what authority can we even say that. If we are the product of genetics eugenics is actually a consistent philosophy and the correct way to work out one's faith in genetics (unless of course, he is of a genetic disposition that has been determined inferior). The only logical reason why we wouldn't is because we have no way of quantifying what makes one person superior to another. But, if we are products of nothing more than genetics we have to believe we are not equal beings.
So, why does that up there sound like madness? By what moral authority do we know that fairness and equality are the only way to go? Why do we know this with every fiber of our being? Because it isn't actually logical to believe in fairness, compassion, and equality if we are not made in the image of God.
For the other things, like helping the less fortunate, or being kind, forgiving your enemies, we seem to inherently know that too. Even though it is in defiance of individual survival.
If morals aren't passed down by God, then all we have is morals relative to our culture, we're right and they're wrong, and they had better go along or go away. The fact is there are parts of Christianity that disagree with any culture that adopts it, and individually they have to work out those kinks. But, they can, with authority, say they know the way things were created to be.
"If morals aren't passed down by God", there is little doubt that there is no god and the morality of the bible is quite incompatible with modern life. We no longer think that it is alright to murder an entire village because they do not believe in your version of a god. We no longer believe that it is moral to own another human and to beat them at will. We no longer believe that it is OK to kill off a girls family and then force her into marriage. We no longer believe that a rape victim should be forced to marry her rapist. We no longer believe that killing a bird and then dunking another bird in its blood will cure leprosy.

The bible stories were written by men with limited knowledge of the universe and the world around them, to control those he could con into believing his version of a god.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2014

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

Please note the "even being alleged as the ONLY Darwinian purpose for living..." is what you wrote.
And I proved that correct.

Hidingfromyou wrote (post #231885):

" Not a single evolutionary theorist makes the straw man argument you post above - "... procreation is of fundamental evolutionary focus..."

Richard Dawkins: "...life has no higher purpose than to perpetuate the survival of DNA...life has no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••