Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#232055 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Do christians actually read the bible?
Exodus 4:21 And the Lord said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.
22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.
I have been going over and over this and it just does not make any sense! God sends Moses to Egypt to free the slaves and he tells Moses to tell pharaoh to let his people go. All the while, god is making it so that pharaoh will not let the people go!!!
Imagine a father telling the mother, not to allow their children to go outside. When the children go to the father to ask, he sends them to ask the mother. When the mother, following the fathers orders, refuses to let the children go outside, the father beats the mother for not allowing them to go outside! 10 times this happens, 10 beatings, before the wife finally ignores the husband's orders and lets the children go outside!
Are you people crazy or what!?!?
Egypt at the time was perhaps the only world super power. It a modern army that could take on any nation. But this empire was built on idol worship and God hated it.

God accomplished two task with Egypt. One was to free the slaves and second to break its back. And so Egypt was broken and it never recovered to its former glory. Today it is a third world country.

Do Atheist ever read the bible? If you did you would understand. May I use your own words?“Are you people crazy or what?”

I wouldn’t call you crazy for lack of knowledge but just willfully naive.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232056 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a version of a god or gods. You are correct. There are still people who believe in the old testament. Since the god of the ot stated that it never changes, they figure that it must be true. I am very grateful that most Jews and christians don't buy into that.
<quoted text>
Morality is based on the current society in which you live. A little more than 100 years ago, Delaware's law on sexual consent was set at age 7. Nothing in the bible states the age of consent, so there is nothing wrong with Delaware's law, right? Why isn't that the law in Delaware today? Because our collective idea of morality has changed. No need for a god.
<quoted text>
Again, with so many of the laws changing with the times, your argument is a claim without evidence. The fact that other, non-christian cultures have the many of the same values should quickly dismiss your assertion.
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, it did not see where you proved them right. You claim that they were right, but I have yet to see any evidence for it.
<quoted text>
"alternate theories"?
1. Yeah, if you take grace entirely out of the equation then by all means we ought to be obeying the law of the OT in order to be made righteous.
2. Are there laws of consent in every country? Perhaps attempting to interpret how we ought to work out our salvation has done a lot in the long long road towards fairness and equality.
3. Our collective idea of morality has developed, certainly. But the loudest voices in western culture that have worked for peace have been Christian ones.
4. Without a God, there is no way to say that our morals are right, we can only say they fit our culture. But I believe that you know our morals in regards to equality are right not only for our culture, but for the rest of the world as well. But how do we prove it?
5. Alternate theories. Anything attempting to explain how we've developed social instincts is theoretical. Isn't it a little dogmatic to say otherwise?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232057 Jul 7, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>1. Yeah, if you take grace entirely out of the equation then by all means we ought to be obeying the law of the OT in order to be made righteous.
If you take all that the never changing god said and all that the never changing god(jesus) said and then go with what a man named Paul said....
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>2. Are there laws of consent in every country? Perhaps attempting to interpret how we ought to work out our salvation has done a lot in the long long road towards fairness and equality.
It is just as likely that the Flying Spaghetti Monster's will is working it's magic.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>3. Our collective idea of morality has developed, certainly. But the loudest voices in western culture that have worked for peace have been Christian ones.
Yes, can you name the years that the western culture has not been at war? Peace through war? How many of those wars included two opposing western cultures?
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>4. Without a God, there is no way to say that our morals are right, we can only say they fit our culture. But I believe that you know our morals in regards to equality are right not only for our culture, but for the rest of the world as well. But how do we prove it?
I just showed you that morality laws differ by country, by state and by county and you still insist that your god exists and had something to do with it? Moral code lies completely within the community that it was established and will change as the community changes.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>5. Alternate theories. Anything attempting to explain how we've developed social instincts is theoretical. Isn't it a little dogmatic to say otherwise?
You make it sound as if your god beliefs are completing theories. I don't know if you know this or not, the supernatural is not included in any scientific theory. No magic allowed in science.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232058 Jul 7, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Egypt at the time was perhaps the only world super power.
And perhaps the Earth was the center of the universe and perhaps forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist is the right and honorable thing to do.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text> It a modern army that could take on any nation. But this empire was built on idol worship and God hated it.
You mean like he hates Asia? When is he going to send 10 plagues into China?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text> God accomplished two task with Egypt. One was to free the slaves and second to break its back.
Nowhere in the bible did god say slavery was wrong.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text> And so Egypt was broken and it never recovered to its former glory. Today it is a third world country.
They do spend a lot of time fighting over a god, don't they?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text> Do Atheist ever read the bible? If you did you would understand. May I use your own words?“Are you people crazy or what?”
Yes, I remember your "take hold of" BS. No matter how many times the phrase was used as, to take control of, to force, you still insisted that it meant a loving embrace, which was not once used in the bible to mean that.

I am only here to show the stupidity of religion and you make it so much easier.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232059 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>

Moral code lies completely within the community that it was established and will change as the community changes.
Completely?

http://www.lifenews.com/2014/02/26/are-babies...

."After a series of experiments over eight years, researchers at Yale’s Infant Cognition Center have concluded that 'babies are in fact born with an innate sense of morality, and while parents and society can help develop a belief system in babies, they don’t create one'.”

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232060 Jul 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely?
http://www.lifenews.com/2014/02/26/are-babies...
."After a series of experiments over eight years, researchers at Yale’s Infant Cognition Center have concluded that 'babies are in fact born with an innate sense of morality, and while parents and society can help develop a belief system in babies, they don’t create one'.”
I suppose most of the animal kingdom is born with the same sense of morality then? Or is it as simple as I said before; A species would not survive for long if it felt that murder was not a severe detriment to the success of their species.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#232061 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Exodus 4:21 And the Lord said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.
22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.
I have been going over and over this and it just does not make any sense! God sends Moses to Egypt to free the slaves and he tells Moses to tell pharaoh to let his people go. All the while, god is making it so that pharaoh will not let the people go!!!
Imagine a father telling the mother, not to allow their children to go outside. When the children go to the father to ask, he sends them to ask the mother. When the mother, following the fathers orders, refuses to let the children go outside, the father beats the mother for not allowing them to go outside! 10 times this happens, 10 beatings, before the wife finally ignores the husband's orders and lets the children go outside!
Are you people crazy or what!?!?
Did your mom drop you on your head or something?

The Alien told Moses to do these things, and the result was freedom. Then the Alien gave them the Law and said they would become a great nation.

We see the results today. The most significant culture in human history. Exactly as the Alien said.

Are you crazy or what???

Snicker smile.

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Camp Cove

#232062 Jul 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.
U get one point for trying.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232063 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose most of the animal kingdom is born with the same sense of morality then? Or is it as simple as I said before; A species would not survive for long if it felt that murder was not a severe detriment to the success of their species.
Murder may not be a detriment to the success of their species.

The strongest genes are favored, and as such strengthen the developing gene pool of the species . As Dawkins attests, the unit of preservation is not the individual or the group, it is the gene. Murdering a competitor could increase the likelihood of the gene being propelled forward:

"To a survival machine, another survival machine (which is not its own child or another close relative) is part of its environment, like a rock or a river or a lump of food."

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#232064 Jul 7, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
U get one point for trying.
Oh man up Rosa and admit that was really funny!

Smirk.
CunningLinguist

Ocala, FL

#232065 Jul 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Watson was a good researcher.
Philosopher? Not so great.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

Just out of idle curiosity how many of these alleged arguments have you actually won?

Do you keep personal account of your successes and failures?

Inquiring minds want to know... so saith the national inquirer!

Think of the possibilities you could be on the next issue!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232066 Jul 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The strongest genes are favored, and as such strengthen the developing gene pool of the species . As Dawkins attests, the unit of preservation is not the individual or the group, it is the gene. Murdering a competitor could increase the likelihood of the gene being propelled forward:
"To a survival machine, another survival machine (which is not its own child or another close relative) is part of its environment, like a rock or a river or a lump of food."
You do a lot of double talk. One, a fight to see who gets to mate is far different than just going out an murdering anyone you wish. Rarely are such fights to the death and most often only happen during the mating season.
Patrick

United States

#232067 Jul 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Social Darwinism ...the libertarians phony doctrine?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#232068 Jul 7, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Egypt at the time was perhaps the only world super power. It a modern army that could take on any nation. But this empire was built on idol worship and God hated it.
God accomplished two task with Egypt. One was to free the slaves and second to break its back. And so Egypt was broken and it never recovered to its former glory. Today it is a third world country.
Do Atheist ever read the bible? If you did you would understand. May I use your own words?“Are you people crazy or what?”
What slaves?

Don't you Christians ever read history books? And no, you're bible doesn't count.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232069 Jul 7, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What slaves?
Don't you Christians ever read history books? And no, you're bible doesn't count.
That's alright, they don't read the bible either.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232070 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you tell me where you got your information about the age of consent? I say you just pulled some bullsh!t out of your ass.
Now you wish to claim that only a small part of the bible contains immoral demands from god and that too is bullsh!t. Using your analogy, the last page of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette would be about how nice Pittsburgh really is and that people shouldn't read the first 56 pages.
Then you top it off with trying to insult me. How stupid is that? Maybe I should say, "How christian of you", but we both know that you are not a christian.
I'm ....I'm ..thinking ...

.........does ' somebody ' need a hug ..??

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#232071 Jul 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You just explained how \the Jesus freak came to be.

Las Vegas, NV

#232072 Jul 7, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
..yes , and ..no

The ones " here " ..no..we, just love to argue ..

your welcome ...

Las Vegas, NV

#232073 Jul 7, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What slaves?
so , you assert the pyramids , were built " by " paid labor ..

You make me laugh ..Ha Ha Hee ...

Thank you ,

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#232074 Jul 7, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>I'm ....I'm ..thinking ...
.........does ' somebody ' need a hug ..??
Great reply! I learned a lot from you! Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr ChristineM 6,111
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 2,066
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr EdmondWA 14,613
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 5 hr thetruth 9,344
News Confessions of a black atheist 5 hr TrueLogic 424
News The Consequences of Atheism 7 hr JesusWasNOTaJew -... 1,321
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 hr Denisova 18,697
More from around the web