Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232256 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

Why are we agreeing so much lately?
It's proof you can learn under the power of my brilliance.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232257 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

It's difficult for me to imagine stupidity on your level. So, thank you for this display.
You're welcome, maam.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232258 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I had this stupid cat once......
I had a dog who was stupid, never realised she was not a pup anymore and repeatedly bumped her head when she walked under something.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232259 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to tell us how you know what babies believe.
And your definitions are in error.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
So did you, you stated this claim, you provide evidence that babies are born with belief in any dietiy

No they are not in error, they just contradict your home school PhD religion philosophy for dummys book lirnin’.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#232260 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying a presently non-existent future observer in the presently non-existent future time exists in physical reality.
You are saying a hypothetical calculation means something calculated physically exists.
That is wrong, and that is stupid.
No infinite can exist in physical reality. The one you just described is a theoretical model; it is imagination. You can have all the physical infinities in your imagination you want.
In physical reality, we are a bit more limited.
A observer now or in the future is irrelevant.
It isn't a hypothetical calculation, as calculation means a "mathematical determination".
We are talking about a calculation of this physical reality.
Yes the condition physically exists, and we are seeing light that is nearly 13.7 billion years old now. but will never see light from further than 14.3Gpc. From there on out everything is causally disconnected from us forever and has moved into infinity.
This condition that exist right now, the same as if you try to fly a an aircraft using afterburners on a trip that exceeds it's fuel burn rate per hr past it's physical limit, it will run out of fuel before it reaches it's destination. A calculation of a condition in the physical reality.
This is the infinite universe.

http://io9.com/new-survey-supports-theory-of-...
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#232261 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome, maam.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

It's difficult for me to imagine stupidity on your level. So, thank you for this display.

It is low comedy but appreciated for a laugh

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232262 Jul 11, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

So did you, you stated this claim, you provide evidence that babies are born with belief in any dietiy
I stated no claim.

You stated the claim here. You claim to know what babies believe.

You have yet to back up your mouth.

Then you lied, trying to place the burden elsewhere.

Typical Christinemc^2 - make a claim, it fails, then lie about it.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#232263 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh. Just like waaasssuuup?
Well, he might have been a little smarter than waaasssuuup.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232264 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's proof you can learn under the power of my brilliance.
Buck, dreariest buck.

Will you stop pretending to be a sociopath, have you not realised yet that the only persona taking in by your dunning kruger personality problem is you?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232265 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A observer now or in the future is irrelevant.
It isn't a hypothetical calculation, as calculation means a "mathematical determination".
We are talking about a calculation of this physical reality.
Yes the condition physically exists, and we are seeing light that is nearly 13.7 billion years old now. but will never see light from further than 14.3Gpc. From there on out everything is causally disconnected from us forever and has moved into infinity.
This condition that exist right now, the same as if you try to fly a an aircraft using afterburners on a trip that exceeds it's fuel burn rate per hr past it's physical limit, it will run out of fuel before it reaches it's destination. A calculation of a condition in the physical reality.
This is the infinite universe.
http://io9.com/new-survey-supports-theory-of-...
You are a moron.

It is a hypothetical and theoretical calculation.

Theoretical math can have infinite values. Nothing physical can.

Exceeding what you can observe is not the same as infinite.

Proof:

1. If the distance you refer to is infinity, half that distance is also infinity.

2. Therefore, the distance is equal to half the distance, but also greater than half the distance.

3. In a physical universe, "equal to" and "greater than" is a contradiction.

4. Therefore, your infinite universe cannot be a physical universe.

I'll ask again - please provide an example of a physical infinite.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232266 Jul 11, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck, dreariest buck.
Will you stop pretending to be a sociopath, have you not realised yet that the only persona taking in by your dunning kruger personality problem is you?
I'm not a sociopath?

Obviously, you have not spoken to my parole officer. Or my ex-wife. Or the two cops who tried to arrest me in Columbus, Georgia. Or,...never mind.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232267 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I stated no claim.
You stated the claim here. You claim to know what babies believe.
You have yet to back up your mouth.
Then you lied, trying to place the burden elsewhere.
Typical Christinemc^2 - make a claim, it fails, then lie about it.
I stated no such claim

Your claim was
Nobody is born an atheist.

By such a definition, a turd is an atheist.

An atheist is a person who holds the belief that gods do not exist.

Don't make me prove it. It bores me.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Therefore you indicated that you know babies are born theist

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232268 Jul 11, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

I had a dog who was stupid, never realised she was not a pup anymore and repeatedly bumped her head when she walked under something.
You are just remembering your childhood.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#232269 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a moron.
It is a hypothetical and theoretical calculation.
Theoretical math can have infinite values. Nothing physical can.
Exceeding what you can observe is not the same as infinite.
Proof:
1. If the distance you refer to is infinity, half that distance is also infinity.
2. Therefore, the distance is equal to half the distance, but also greater than half the distance.
3. In a physical universe, "equal to" and "greater than" is a contradiction.
4. Therefore, your infinite universe cannot be a physical universe.
I'll ask again - please provide an example of a physical infinite.
You are the moron, sure you can measure a part of infinity, that is finite amounts.
But no series of measurements can measure it's entirety.
To measure an infinite distance a series of measurements can be made, but you can never reach the end by taking the last measurement. In other words you can measure till you tire of measuring and never finish. So yes you can't measure half an infinity moron.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232270 Jul 11, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I stated no such claim
Your claim was
Nobody is born an atheist.
By such a definition, a turd is an atheist.
An atheist is a person who holds the belief that gods do not exist.
Don't make me prove it. It bores me.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Therefore you indicated that you know babies are born theist
Not being an atheist doesn't mean one is a theist.

You claimed to know babies have no belief in deities.

Back it up.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232271 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the moron, sure you can measure a part of infinity, that is finite amounts.
But no series of measurements can measure it's entirety.
To measure an infinite distance a series of measurements can be made, but you can never reach the end by taking the last measurement. In other words you can measure till you tire of measuring and never finish. So yes you can't measure half an infinity moron.
If you can measure its parts, it cannot be infinite.

It doesn't matter whether you can measure all its parts. By measuring one part, infinite parts is invalidated, because infinity cannot be reached by any sequence of addition, regardless of whether you can measure the sequence or if you cannot.

By beginning to measure physical parts, we know the additional sequence of parts cannot be infinite. A universe is made of physical parts. Therefore, the universe cannot be physically infinite. It doesn't matter whether you can measure the physical parts, or whether you cannot.

There is no way to measure the number of bacterial cells on the planet Earth. We could make calculations, but we cannot measure them physically. Still, regardless of the calculating difficulty or result, we know the number of bacteria is finite because it is a physical sequence of addition.

This is because adding a part to a finite value results in another finite value. Then another finite value, then another finite value,...

And always will.

Aunt Martha: "... sure you can measure a part of infinity, that is finite amounts."

What is the finite amount that immediately precedes infinity?

Take that amount, add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite

OK, go to the next larger amount. Add one. Is the result finite or infinite? Answer: Finite
__________

Please explain how this repetition gets you beyond a finite value.




“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232272 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just remembering your childhood.
A lovely thought, yup I was a child, and you know the dog was not called anything like buck

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232273 Jul 11, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is by some measures the world’s most popular official (the Catholic Church claims exclusive authorship) christian manual. It is also a shameless grotesque compendium of sensational ridiculous stories, unverified memes, anonymously sourced goat herder gossip, thinly veiled sexism, and hypocritical moralizing.
You mentioned Matthew don't you find it odd that there isn't one Christian on the planet that follows Matthews advice?
Matthew 6:6
And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.
But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Why are there churches - synagogues and temples?
I don't believe that anyone here is a Christian, but even among the Christians I know, they only follow what their sect tells them. Much like the fake Christians here, they only follow what feel good at the time or what they can use to judge others.
CunningLinguist

Howey In The Hills, FL

#232274 Jul 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a sociopath?
Obviously, you have not spoken to my parole officer. Or my ex-wife. Or the two cops who tried to arrest me in Columbus, Georgia. Or,...never mind.
NEVER MIND!
< good advice on your posts>

At least we know how you found Jesus!

We can feel pity for your other experiences whilst incarcerated and tormented by inappropriate attention from some that don't share your Christian sexual views.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232275 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't claim to have figured it out on my own. I didn't. I just have the equations.
Anyways, it wouldn't have been possible to figure out until the 1900's physics.
And...it makes no difference to me if you "believe" me. I honestly don't care. One day, I'll publish these things. Until then, meh.
It truly is a sign that the apocalypse is nigh , when the the theists exhorts the atheist .." Come on , get back to reality . "

I'm just trying to keep you from a life of ridicule .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 32 min scientia potentia... 23,521
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Thinking 21,881
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Into The Night 48,676
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Into The Night 5,705
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 5 hr Igor Trip 69
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 6 hr Amused 3
What are the best arguments against religion? 11 hr Igor Trip 2
More from around the web