Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#231848 Jul 5, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes your book is filled with history and a very horrendous history it is.
I don't care about superstition and religion is nothing but superstition so you are correct - I don't care.
The Bible is an imperfect book containing flaws of human origin and due to the overwhelming amount of scientific errors the book possesses, you should take comfort in deciding that there was no divine inspiration or intervention rather human imagination.
Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body.--Deuteronomy 28:18
Whatever your book teaches you it isn't for me and it isn't for any rational human being.
I don't think it's possible to raise a family in heaven is it? Can I share the 72 virgins with the Islam martyrs that are already there? Can I marry for the first time in heaven?
Is there a really good Kosher deli available?
This actually adds credibility to the Bible and God ..how else could a mere myth raise such ire in the likes of you ...

and item 2 , you claim the Bible is horrendous ..Are you claiming that there is right and wrong , and we humans do know the difference ..?

Why , would you make such a bold statement , if morality was not in fact objective , rather than subjective ...Hmmm..

You can not assert something is evil , and in the same breath evil does not exist ...
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#231849 Jul 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful! I'm sure they'd prefer their land and culture back.
I don't know , they must've been bouncing around like bunny rabbits , the first time they were given European made rifles ....

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#231850 Jul 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Reinstate sodomy laws? Dream on...
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Uganda and Mother Russia ..( sorry , that was unkind )
Ah hell, they do that right here in topix.
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#231851 Jul 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
How can a 33 year old man, leave his two year old in a hot car while he sat in air conditioning office sexting 16 year olds?
The case in Georgia enrages me. This is what happens when people don’t have a moral compass and do whatever they want.
There’s no fear of God and no fear of judgment. I hope Georgians do the right thing to this narcissistic accused murder.
...Hey , He ..WANTED...out of his marriage ..!!

( and , contrary to popular belief , not all babies are cute .)

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#231852 Jul 5, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Uganda and Mother Russia ..( sorry , that was unkind )
I was talking about CIVILIZED countries.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#231853 Jul 5, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>ha ha ..touche'
but , as you wrote earlier 'child brides'..Mary was probably all of 15 .
We can't do that anymore ..
What do you follow then?

Mary may have been any age. I don't think there is any age limit set by your god.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231854 Jul 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
How can a 33 year old man, leave his two year old in a hot car while he sat in air conditioning office sexting 16 year olds?
The case in Georgia enrages me. This is what happens when people don’t have a moral compass and do whatever they want.
There’s no fear of God and no fear of judgment. I hope Georgians do the right thing to this narcissistic accused murder.
Clearly he had no ethics. He may not fear judgement, but let's hope he gets a serious one.

They hate anyone who hurts a kid in jail.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#231855 Jul 5, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Reinstate sodomy laws? Dream on...
<quoted text> Ah hell, they do that right here in topix.
Sad but true.
:-(
Murder the NWO Now

Seattle, WA

#231856 Jul 5, 2014
First of all, faith does not correspond to those that are aitheist.

Second, who the hell comes to this thread day in, day out on this thread...

You should all collectively bow your heads, and worship your gods and overlords that rule you with iron fists.

UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH HHHHHHHH

You dumbed down people really get to me sometimes...

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#231857 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the only one I want.
She is a fresh gift every day. A constant surprise. More than I can handle, and I still delight in handling her.
SMILE.
Ahhhhh, that's super nice! I'm very happy for you :)

Some stable somewhere

#231858 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
2. NOW you admit your were wrong?
3. Incorrect. Science understands ss sexual behavior in most primates. It does not yet know the cause in humans. Makes it impossible to deem it 'normal' scientifically, doesn't it?
6. There were no Indians attracted to the same sex? There were no Indians who thought they were one gender in the body of another? There were no Indians who were sexually attracted to both genders? Really.
Smirk.
2. I actually admitted it a while back. Read carefully though - some cultures fully accepted it and some didn't.

3. I honestly don't believe you understand primatology and evolutionary anthropology to make the claims you're making. If you did, you'd be making different claims.

Do you understand the difference between phylogenetic arguments and ontological arguments?

6. Whoa, you've suddenly changed the discussion from one of gender to one of sex. You're trying to Westernize our understanding of Native Americans - that's never going to work. Their gender system did not work like ours. Their very ideas of masculinity and femininity do not mirror ours.

Clearly, there was same sex sexual behavior. Clearly, same sexes married (in some cases). However, we're talking about gender, not sex. I'm going to use the word "two-spirit" here as a catch all for the various words Natives used. Once again:

Men could marry women and two-spirit males
Two-spirit females could marry women

Two-spirit people did not marry each other. I'm not sure why. I'm going to assume a cultural prohibition on same-gender marriage but not same sex marriage. The defining aspect of Native American sexuality is not their sex, but their gender system.

Some stable somewhere

#231859 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, you may want to read up on mating behavior...
Here is an entertaining example of thousands available:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news...
Thanks! Very interesting.

It doesn't work that way in primates. As you probably know, primates cannot impersonate members of the opposite sex. Male primates have things like testicles and different scent than female primates - so the kinds of mating strategies that octopi can use differ from those primates use.

Here, for primates:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02...

Anything by Paul Vasey - he's the leading expert on "homosexuality" in primates.

Some stable somewhere

#231860 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Making it up as you go along.
Great science.
You know nothing.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02...

Paul Vasey, Frans de Waal

Read.

Some stable somewhere

#231861 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you want to get to it, you might have to go through shit, and the aperture does not self lubricate for sex. Generally, it's an inferior method of perpetuating my DNA.
Darwin thought that was important. But of course, you make up your material scientism as you go along, so enjoy it.
Uh...just b/c you come from a culture and religion that focuses on sex for procreation doesn't mean that same sex sexual behavior in primates evolved for that reason.

Yet we both know the complexities of evolutionary theory are faaaaaaaar beyond your grasp.

Some stable somewhere

#231862 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And they both lost the argument to me - badly.
Their fundamental error is they cannot distinguish math theory from physical reality. I exposed that, refuted it, and then ridiculed it with devastating logical argument. Same as I did with you on ID.
Nope. They completely ridiculed you. The same as I did to you with ID. You were utterly unable to answer my challenges and had to resort to name calling. For example, you couldn't produce a theory of ID, yet claimed one existed. You failed - as do ID people - to distinguish between design and apparent design. You also couldn't, like the ID people, produce testable, disprovable hypothesis about ID.

It was pretty funny.

Some stable somewhere

#231863 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
1. If you knew anything about biological science, you might know that "normal" is not a term that is useful.
2. If science deems homosexual sex normal, nothing can be said to be abnormal.
3. Science, rightly practiced, does not "deem".
Get an education.
I've forgotten more about biological science than you've ever known. I've destroyed every argument you've put forth about biology and ridiculed you for your ridiculous lie that you have a PhD in microbiology - conveniently, after I started grilling you, you stopped bring that up.

Same sex sexual behavior is a normal behavior in primates and humans. It's not a disease, it's not abnormal.

Some stable somewhere

#231864 Jul 6, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe they are entitled to the tax breaks nor any other monetary benefit afforded to other married couples ..
Marriage is the building blocks of our society , they deserve any and all lagniappe given ..
( item ) If men and women ' stopped ' forming unions ...civilization would perish .
If homosexuals stopped forming unions ....?...so..?
So you believe in discriminating against people who don't produce children?

Some stable somewhere

#231865 Jul 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
3. Science, rightly practiced, does not "deem".
Scientific models are accepted because of the consensus of scientists. So, yes, "deem" is exactly the appropriate word.

Get an education and stop making stuff up.

Some stable somewhere

#231866 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
In primates, same sex sexual behavior is done for these reasons:

1. food sharing. In bonobos, when two females find a food source, they engage in sexual behavior first.
2. alliance forming. In chimpanzees, when two males are getting ready to attack the dominant male, they engage in sexual behavior.
3. tension reduction. In bonobos, after a large fight that disturbs the troup, they basically engage in an orgy. Same sex, opposite sex, whatever.
4. partnership. Macaques engage in what are called "consortships." They are two week pairings involving copulation, usually between males and females, when the females are in estrous. However, sometimes the females prefer other females (still taking place in estrous)- and they engage in lots of sexual behavior via genital-genital rubbing.

So, as I wrote above, same sex sexual behavior in primates is thought to have evolved for social bonding and tension reduction.

Some stable somewhere

#231867 Jul 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, hey...so...where's the homosexual behavior in the article you linked here.

Is it in the male octopus pretending to be female so he can have sex with the female? That doesn't seem homosexual to me.

Is it in the male octopus who's guarding the female, who is tricked by another male into thinking that male is a female, and so attempts sex?

That also doesn't sound homosexual to me.

So...where are the gays in what you're linking above? How are you justified in arguing that the above behavior has anything to do with same sex sexual behavior in primates?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 39 min Simon 83,241
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 48 min Dogen 2,578
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu Dan78iel 3,989
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web