Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238978 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231282 Jun 27, 2014
When is your god going to stop punishing babies yet unborn for the Adam and Eve entrapment?

Your god is evil.
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..dude..You just don't give God a break ..
You lambast Him for the wickedness of His adherents ...and then...you lambast Him for punishing of said adherents ..
What I don't understand is how someone claims to rational , and yet believes the Bible is wholly a construct of Man ..
and , obviously they weren't intelligent enough to leave out the embarrassing passages ...Good grief , Woman you're the one who loves bringing up Emmanuel verses Jesus ...they , couldn't fix that solecism ...
And , the Bible asserts only " honor your father and mother '
If it were truly constructed by man ...where , is " question not the political or religious leaders "..??
or , beith not a pacifist in thyne defense of thyne nation ..??
So , I hate trumpeting "Kimare'a" horn .( I like girls )..but , he is absolutely correct . There is no logic in the so called rational unbeliever ..

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231283 Jun 27, 2014
well wrote:
<quoted text>
After 18 years he is still this pissed off at you? Did you interfere in their marriage? Did you demean or belittle him like you do to posters on Topix? Did you interfere in a way that could be deemed as inappropriate, such as turning her or his kids against him?
I'm sorry I just don't see how he could keep this hatred going for all these years, unless you really did wrong him in some way...I can't wrap my brain around some one holding this big of a grudge for so long.
They were never married. Didn't know that did you?

Why? Because he lied. What does that say about him and what he claims?

However, if you were unbiased and not a gay troll, you would have been tipped off by a fake legal document.

Oh, birds of a feather flock together.

Smirk smile.

Location hidden

#231284 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I've no interest in making moonshine. It's bad for your brain.
Slime.
<quoted text>
So you can't explain universal afterlife.

How about universal depravity? You should know quite a bit about that!

Smile.

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#231285 Jun 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I just wanna go home.
And, yes, it's still "home" to me.

#231286 Jun 27, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..I realize that , but we look at your photo profile ...and , Wow ..you look old and skeletal ...we , just can't help to wonder what kind of life choices , did that to you ..??
Thanks for bringing that up... My avatar is what it is for a particular reason. It is a transitional fossil in human evolution that so many fundies say does not exist. I know it exists, I have seen it, touched it, measured it and was on the team that discovered it.

And you avatar is a grey ghost outline in the fog, we (the royal we) just can't help to wonder what kind of life choices did that to you?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#231287 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I've no interest in making moonshine. It's bad for your brain.
Slime.
<quoted text>
Hey Thinking!!! I hope you're well :)

I just started brewing beer! No, really! And mead!

Mead was invented by Norse deities about 600 years ago. Science proves it!

Kidding - mead is like the oldest drink. I'm pretty sure it's more than 30 000 years old. And here I am, Hiding, doing it!

woooooooohoooooooooooo!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231288 Jun 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
There is no universal afterlife. How could anyone explain it?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231289 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
When is your god going to stop punishing babies yet unborn for the Adam and Eve entrapment?
Your god is evil.
<quoted text>
He's not evil. He's just jealous of Adam. After all, He...uh...had His eyes set on that Eve chick.

Don't go messing with the all powerful deity's sex-robot, yo.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#231290 Jun 27, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
do you NOT believe in the flood as told in the Bible? what, are you like the multitude of morons in Noah's day?
Your mythological stories are...stories.

It's unimaginable that an adult believes in them. Unbelievable.

Do you have brain damage? Obsessive disorder coupled with no education?

I'm just curious what explains your strange obsession to spout these fantasies here.
Thinking

Honiton, UK

#231291 Jun 27, 2014
I don't believe there is any evidence for one.

Slime.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

#231292 Jun 27, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi H

Good to see you around

#231293 Jun 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
What is a universal afterlife?

This the life the universe goes to after it dies?

Can you explain what does not exist, you have never managed before with your god dunitwiv magic, do you think you have any chance with this new concept of yours?

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#231294 Jun 27, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes a lot of sense. Morals do hold a certain amount of social engineering to them. But who is right? Are the Saudi's right in not allowing women to drive, or is that appalling to you?
That is appalling to me.....Women have just as good a brain as men and are much better at a lot of things.

The middle east lives the old testament, that women are chattel and can do nothing without the permission of the man in her life, be it father, brothers, or husband.

They are kept uneducated, unsocialized with the rest of the world, and must hide who they are when they are out in public.
Why? Because their men cant control their sexual urges if they get a glimpse of flesh. That why they f**k goats and sheep over there.

At least men in civilized countries know better than to assault women or the punishment is great.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#231295 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Jerk? It depend whether god is all powerful or not.
I know 100% there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering. So if your god is all powerful, your god is a jerk.
There is also no meaningful sacrifice that an all powerful god can make. It's no sacrifice.
Also, Adam and Eve was entrapment. Yet you sign up for babies yet unborn to be punished for it. Tell me, when is your god going to stop being a total bastard?
<quoted text>
It is a bleak world isn't it. A broken and ravaged world that can be so senseless and merciless and painful at times.

God always favors choice over benefit or happiness. We have choices, choices have consequences. Unfortunately, sometimes my choices have consequences for you and your choices have consequences for me.

But to say that for some reason God would be obliged to prevent suffering. Why? Is it the infallible will of Thinking? or the infallible will of God? I know, we all criticize the president too. But, such is the case for those in authority to people who are not, the people who are not always know better.

If there were no suffering, how would we even understand what joy is? And have you not ever found strength in pain? There is also the concept of leaning on the Lord through trials and watching Him do an amazing work in your life.

Trip on this, God knew Adam was going to eat from the tree, yet he created the tree and saw that it was good. So, thank God for the tree.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#231296 Jun 27, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is appalling to me.....Women have just as good a brain as men and are much better at a lot of things.
The middle east lives the old testament, that women are chattel and can do nothing without the permission of the man in her life, be it father, brothers, or husband.
They are kept uneducated, unsocialized with the rest of the world, and must hide who they are when they are out in public.
Why? Because their men cant control their sexual urges if they get a glimpse of flesh. That why they f**k goats and sheep over there.
At least men in civilized countries know better than to assault women or the punishment is great.
My point in all of that is that there is a true north on the moral compass. That there is a perfect morality. I would say we know it a little better in countries that grew up Christian. But if there isn't a God, and just one true God, morals are relative to the culture you are in, and we're all just wandering in the dark looking for north.

Location hidden

#231297 Jun 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a universal afterlife?
This the life the universe goes to after it dies?
Can you explain what does not exist, you have never managed before with your god dunitwiv magic, do you think you have any chance with this new concept of yours?
It means virtually all cultures in human history believe we were created for eternity.

You are positive everyone is wrong.

Good luck.

Smile.

#231298 Jun 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It means virtually all cultures in human history believe we were created for eternity.
You are positive everyone is wrong.
Good luck.
Smile.
That is not universal afterlife, that is godbot illusion and dreams, no afterlife involved.

Nope but I am positive you are full of sh|t and guesswork and that’s all that I am interested in when talking to you

I love the way you have amended your comment since our last discussion on this from “everyone” to “virtually all cultures”

But still you need to look as some facts. Ask yourself, is Buddhism the same as christinaity? Is Hinduism the same as Shinto, etc, etc.

Then you need to consider that so many people have dreamed “similar” dreams over thousands of years and never once have any dreams manifested into anything more than a dream. So do you think that perhaps it’s a dream or are you sure that it’s reality but no one has ever been able to prove it, see or even define it - ever?

Location hidden

#231299 Jun 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not universal afterlife, that is godbot illusion and dreams, no afterlife involved.ms manifested into anything more than a dream.
I know you have faith that is true. Its just that most people disagree with your faith.

Gosh, you are betting your entire eternity on that faith. Seems kind of, well, blonde to me.

Smile.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#231300 Jun 27, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mythological stories are...stories.
It's unimaginable that an adult believes in them. Unbelievable.
Do you have brain damage? Obsessive disorder coupled with no education?
I'm just curious what explains your strange obsession to spout these fantasies here.
Great to see you here, Hiding.

Don't be such a stranger.

#231301 Jun 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you have faith that is true. Its just that most people disagree with your faith.
Gosh, you are betting your entire eternity on that faith. Seems kind of, well, blonde to me.
Smile.
Selectively editing again?

Most people? Do you have a list of names or even just comparable statistics or are you just asserting from your imagination?

No need to bet. You can never cash in a dream

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 7,225
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 3 hr thetruth 7,439
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 9 hr thetruth 92
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web