Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231299 Jun 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not universal afterlife, that is godbot illusion and dreams, no afterlife involved.ms manifested into anything more than a dream.
I know you have faith that is true. Its just that most people disagree with your faith.

Gosh, you are betting your entire eternity on that faith. Seems kind of, well, blonde to me.

Smile.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#231300 Jun 27, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mythological stories are...stories.
It's unimaginable that an adult believes in them. Unbelievable.
Do you have brain damage? Obsessive disorder coupled with no education?
I'm just curious what explains your strange obsession to spout these fantasies here.
Great to see you here, Hiding.

Don't be such a stranger.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#231301 Jun 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you have faith that is true. Its just that most people disagree with your faith.
Gosh, you are betting your entire eternity on that faith. Seems kind of, well, blonde to me.
Smile.
Selectively editing again?

Most people? Do you have a list of names or even just comparable statistics or are you just asserting from your imagination?

No need to bet. You can never cash in a dream
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231302 Jun 27, 2014
Hello you!

The last time I drank mead I was wearing medieval dress at Warwick Castle.
A snooty person told me our costumes were out of period.
To which I answered that we were dressed as medieval people wearing fancy dress from a different period. So there.

Does your mead leave you with a massive headache? I'm willing to try it again. For science.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Thinking!!! I hope you're well :)
I just started brewing beer! No, really! And mead!
Mead was invented by Norse deities about 600 years ago. Science proves it!
Kidding - mead is like the oldest drink. I'm pretty sure it's more than 30 000 years old. And here I am, Hiding, doing it!
woooooooohoooooooooooo!
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231303 Jun 27, 2014
Your answer makes so much more sense than theirs...
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not evil. He's just jealous of Adam. After all, He...uh...had His eyes set on that Eve chick.
Don't go messing with the all powerful deity's sex-robot, yo.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231304 Jun 27, 2014
If you say you must suffer to feel the benefit, if designed, then that is an imperfect design.

So your god is not all powerful, or if it is, it is not compassionate.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a bleak world isn't it. A broken and ravaged world that can be so senseless and merciless and painful at times.
God always favors choice over benefit or happiness. We have choices, choices have consequences. Unfortunately, sometimes my choices have consequences for you and your choices have consequences for me.
But to say that for some reason God would be obliged to prevent suffering. Why? Is it the infallible will of Thinking? or the infallible will of God? I know, we all criticize the president too. But, such is the case for those in authority to people who are not, the people who are not always know better.
If there were no suffering, how would we even understand what joy is? And have you not ever found strength in pain? There is also the concept of leaning on the Lord through trials and watching Him do an amazing work in your life.
Trip on this, God knew Adam was going to eat from the tree, yet he created the tree and saw that it was good. So, thank God for the tree.
Anonymous

AOL

#231305 Jun 27, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a bleak world isn't it. A broken and ravaged world that can be so senseless and merciless and painful at times.
God always favors choice over benefit or happiness. We have choices, choices have consequences. Unfortunately, sometimes my choices have consequences for you and your choices have consequences for me.
But to say that for some reason God would be obliged to prevent suffering. Why? Is it the infallible will of Thinking? or the infallible will of God? I know, we all criticize the president too. But, such is the case for those in authority to people who are not, the people who are not always know better.
If there were no suffering, how would we even understand what joy is? And have you not ever found strength in pain? There is also the concept of leaning on the Lord through trials and watching Him do an amazing work in your life.
Trip on this, God knew Adam was going to eat from the tree, yet he created the tree and saw that it was good. So, thank God for the tree.
The problem we have in society is that idiots who believe in god, won't shut up for a second and prove the rubbish that comes out of their mouths, hands and feet and 'books'. I call them 'books' because normally books have knowledge in them. Religious books don't contain knowledge - they contain fantasies and stupid illogical lies. Religious people know this already - they know that they stories are silly and wrong. But they are brainwashed and can't be helped, much like a disease or mental illness.

Instead of curing or trying to fix the mental illness of religion, society is outnumbered by idiots with books and loud mouths, where nothing of substance comes out from. And so we remain backwards and have to be polite to the idiots around us who arrogantly build buildings so that they can talk to air, all together at once and sing songs about how they are better than everyone else together. Just like idiot, rude children, with no manners and no brains.

Both normal and smart people have to suffer and read and hear all these stupid lies over and over again, the moment they step outside their door, or enter an internet forum. Religious people take away the rights of normal sane human beings, to belong together and to make friends with each other.

In the future, society will give mentally ill religious people the help that they need, so that they stop making the world a miserable place.

And we will see a lot less idiots talking about a god that doesn't exist at all.

To talk to a religious idiot about god, is to accept that god has a place in the world. God has a place in the mental illness of religion and nowhere else, not science, not your ordinary day and not even in outer space.

There's never been such a thing as god - only idiot humans with loud mouths and loud egos.

It saddens us all to think the religious idiots would take a life or another person based on their mental ego-illness. How sad to live in this world full of religious liars and stupid sheep that look like human beings.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#231306 Jun 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
http://susanbanthonyhouse.org/her-story/biogr...
She was quite a gal - courageous check her out.
How can I threaten you with something that doesn't exist?
Default prize: Hell Heaven Purgatory or a charming villa on the French Riviera.
you prob don't realize that you just told me that eternal extinction doesn't exist, and to this we both agree!

however, have you considered the ramifications of this to the godless????
Anonymous

AOL

#231307 Jun 27, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
My point in all of that is that there is a true north on the moral compass. That there is a perfect morality. I would say we know it a little better in countries that grew up Christian. But if there isn't a God, and just one true God, morals are relative to the culture you are in, and we're all just wandering in the dark looking for north.
You don't have a point - because you can't prove the god you're lying to us about.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#231308 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
So you worship a god that drowned every baby on the ark. You're an evil fuckwit.
<quoted text>
i believe that everyone who wasn't on the ark was an evil fuckwit and i also believe that "as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the end"

do you believe in the current holocaust of the unborn babies by this evil fuckwit society which puts a premium on sex above life? no need to answer, you fuckwit, you:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#231309 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Of course. Whereas your sodom and gomorrah story says that god endorses child rape.
You're backing the wrong cu*t.
<quoted text>
i believe that God put and end to the sodomites because He DOESN'T endorse rape, child, angel or otherwise!

you got a whole lot of hurt ahead of you unless you repent:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#231310 Jun 27, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mythological stories are...stories.
It's unimaginable that an adult believes in them. Unbelievable.
Do you have brain damage? Obsessive disorder coupled with no education?
I'm just curious what explains your strange obsession to spout these fantasies here.
i perfectly understand how you think, because "as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the end"!

all y'all multitudes are fulfilling prophecy by being godless morons and this must be close to the end!

thank you for expediting God's plan and for helping me grow in faith!:-)
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#231311 Jun 27, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a bleak world isn't it. A broken and ravaged world that can be so senseless and merciless and painful at times.
God always favors choice over benefit or happiness. We have choices, choices have consequences. Unfortunately, sometimes my choices have consequences for you and your choices have consequences for me.
But to say that for some reason God would be obliged to prevent suffering. Why? Is it the infallible will of Thinking? or the infallible will of God? I know, we all criticize the president too. But, such is the case for those in authority to people who are not, the people who are not always know better.
If there were no suffering, how would we even understand what joy is? And have you not ever found strength in pain? There is also the concept of leaning on the Lord through trials and watching Him do an amazing work in your life.
Trip on this, God knew Adam was going to eat from the tree, yet he created the tree and saw that it was good. So, thank God for the tree.
If there was no suffering everyone would be happy
Wouldnt a LOVING god want this?

Your god doesnt exist get used to it..
when you need a helping hand you'll find one at the end of your arm

www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#231312 Jun 27, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
My point in all of that is that there is a true north on the moral compass. That there is a perfect morality. I would say we know it a little better in countries that grew up Christian. But if there isn't a God, and just one true God, morals are relative to the culture you are in, and we're all just wandering in the dark looking for north.
Why do you say Christian countries have better morals? I don't think China or Japan have a problem. Tibet and India, to name two more.

In Christian countries, this one in particular, there are less morals because of hate groups, usually religious, for blacks, homosexuals, women, just to name a few of the wrongs brought about by religion.

So, I disagree with you on that.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#231313 Jun 27, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i believe that everyone who wasn't on the ark was an evil fuckwit and i also believe that "as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the end"
do you believe in the current holocaust of the unborn babies by this evil fuckwit society which puts a premium on sex above life? no need to answer, you fuckwit, you:-)
Noah was a drunken fuckwit. Your bible says he will never drown the world again. So is he lying?
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#231316 Jun 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If you say you must suffer to feel the benefit, if designed, then that is an imperfect design.
So your god is not all powerful, or if it is, it is not compassionate.
<quoted text>
It would seem so. In a great many things we question why is this part of the plan? Why must we go through such anguish, and suffering? It can be difficult at times to hold on to faith in the midst of peril, when betrayal, or senseless affliction come our way.

But think about it, God loved man enough to give him dominion over the earth. When he created Adam he did three things. He told Adam to name the animals, gave him dominion over the plants and animals, and told him not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He gave Adam a job, a purpose, and a commandment. Right from the beginning. Any commandment implies choice. God would not have to command anything if we did not have it.

Would you rather not have choice? You have made the choice to walk away, would you rather not have any choice at all? To be compelled to love God? Or perhaps you are wishing for something that we all wish for that just doesn't happen - We want choice, but no consequences for making the wrong choices. But what kind of character does that build?

Is it unfair that God doesn't knock the guns out of the hands of murderers, or strike tyrants dead? But if He did strike tyrants dead, some would judge that to be unfair as well. Should He involve himself more deeply in the lives of men in order to prevent them from being wicked? Or would someone else just complain about His handling of those situations.

Compassion, power. If this is all there is you are absolutely correct, God either can't or won't make our lives supremely happy. But, some of what we are entitled to is not for this life. This life is about being grateful, building character, walking by faith, trusting God, furthering the kingdom and is but the blink of an eye to all that is in store.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#231317 Jun 27, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say Christian countries have better morals? I don't think China or Japan have a problem. Tibet and India, to name two more.
In Christian countries, this one in particular, there are less morals because of hate groups, usually religious, for blacks, homosexuals, women, just to name a few of the wrongs brought about by religion.
So, I disagree with you on that.
Really, China. But you are right about religious hate groups. A great deal of Christians do not live out the implications of their faith, and are just as inconsistent as an atheist who lives as though the trajectory of his life extends beyond his death.

But there are a great many, who don't get near the kind of attention as the westboro baptists who do not discriminate because Christ didn't. Who realize they were once indifferent to the will of God when Christ died to forgive them and therefore put forth the effort not to judge, who speak of love and grace and work their hardest to live it out in spite of their sinful nature.

You just don't hear about them as much, but really that was a driving force in a lot of the movements that have worked towards fairness. We aren't perfect, but we believe perfect exists.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#231318 Jun 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope you are a dickhead trapped in a dickheads body
I'll pay that. LOLOLOL!

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#231319 Jun 28, 2014
Thinking wrote:
christmas was invented by backward people who had no knowledge of a world that extends as far as Australia.
<quoted text>
Very true. Sometimes it's 40 degrees here on Xmas Day. Never mind, I love a Sunburnt Country.

Up in the Blue Mountains, they have something called Xmas in July. That makes it more the traditional midwinter festival, in the snow.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#231320 Jun 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It this retirement for you or a case of Kerry calling you home?
You’ll have to get used to the weather over here all over again. I have trouble when I’ve been in a warm country for just a few days. Actually we are going through a warm snap at the moment (between 19 and 24C) across the UK and here in Lancashire have had no rain for more than a week – must be summer.
I hate to rub it in, but it's been that temperature in the middle of the day here. And this is our winter.

Only recently have the cold winds been blowing, which makes it bitter. It reminds me of this old poem, even though it's the southerly winds that are so cold here.
http://www.bartleby.com/101/610.html

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 17 min Regolith Based Li... 27,313
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min Subduction Zone 58,257
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 2 hr Pence of Tides 54
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Dogen 1,945
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 5 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 167
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 7 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,947
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 10 hr IB DaMann 5,963
More from around the web