Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256576 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231175 Jun 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Judas didn't betray anyone.
"[Jesus] answered and said,“Judas, your star has led you astray.” He continued,“No
person of mortal birth is worthy to enter the house you have seen, for that place is
reserved for the holy. Neither the sun nor the moon will rule there, nor the day, but the
holy will abide there always, in the eternal realm with the holy angels. Look, I have
explained to you the mysteries of the kingdom [46] and I have taught you about the error
of the stars; and […] send it […] on the twelve aeons.”"
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/...
He he had, Jesus would not be speaking to him like this.
You do believe Jesus, right?
That writing isn't lost, it was rejected silly girl!

Smile.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#231176 Jun 25, 2014

"[Jesus] answered and said,“Judas, your star has led you astray.” He continued,“No
person of mortal birth is worthy to enter the house you have seen, for that place is
reserved for the holy. Neither the sun nor the moon will rule there, nor the day, but the
holy will abide there always, in the eternal realm with the holy angels. Look, I have
explained to you the mysteries of the kingdom [46] and I have taught you about the error
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/ ...
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
a. I'm not a girl....no need to apologize, I have accepted that you jumped the gun.

b. "God" doesn't reject inspiration, "He" gives it. Where does "God" reject this text, especially when it has Jesus teaching his message to his Apostles?

I think you are confused on who authorized what "inspired" texts and who didn't.

Please post where "God" has stated which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not.

Then please post where MAN has stated such.

Whom are you going to believe?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#231177 Jun 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
BTW - who said anything about it being lost?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231178 Jun 25, 2014
Perhaps there is a god that rewards non-believers better than cowardly sycophants like you.

You can't disprove this.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
can you believe this guy? i'm trying to save him and this is how he talks to me......
picture if you will, you're about to be thrown into a solitary confinement cell on fire FOREVER!
DO YOU THINK THERE WILL BE ANY BRAVE SOULS FACING THIS WHO WILL SMILE AND SHOUT "YEAH BABY - BRING IT ON"???

Location hidden

#231179 Jun 25, 2014
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/ ...
<quoted text>
a. I'm not a girl....no need to apologize, I have accepted that you jumped the gun.
b. "God" doesn't reject inspiration, "He" gives it. Where does "God" reject this text, especially when it has Jesus teaching his message to his Apostles?
I think you are confused on who authorized what "inspired" texts and who didn't.
Please post where "God" has stated which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not.
Then please post where MAN has stated such.
Whom are you going to believe?
Honey, I don't argue faith with faithless people.

Smile.
CunningLinguist

Alachua, FL

#231180 Jun 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
can you believe this guy? i'm trying to save him and this is how he talks to me......
picture if you will, you're about to be thrown into a solitary confinement cell on fire FOREVER!
DO YOU THINK THERE WILL BE ANY BRAVE SOULS FACING THIS WHO WILL SMILE AND SHOUT "YEAH BABY - BRING IT ON"???
Picture if you will the illusion of an afterlife.

Will people all faiths on the planet be in either a heaven or hell?

Got already know your decisions.

Your future is predetermined by him.

Free will is a contradiction in and of itself.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires." ~Susan B. Anthony

Location hidden

#231181 Jun 25, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Picture if you will the illusion of an afterlife.
Will people all faiths on the planet be in either a heaven or hell?
Got already know your decisions.
Your future is predetermined by him.
Free will is a contradiction in and of itself.
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires." ~Susan B. Anthony
How did the idea of the afterlife show up in nearly all cultures in human history?

I think there is definitely a possibility of a Alien being who is smarter than you. You know, since most people already are.

Smile.
CunningLinguist

Alachua, FL

#231182 Jun 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the idea of the afterlife show up in nearly all cultures in human history?
I think there is definitely a possibility of a Alien being who is smarter than you. You know, since most people already are.
Smile.
bandwagon fallacy: concluding that an idea has merit simply because many people believe it or practice it.(e.g., Most people believe in a god; therefore, it must prove true.)

Simply because many people may believe something says nothing about the fact of that something.

For example many people during the Black plague believed that demons caused disease.

The number of believers say nothing at all about the cause of disease.

Religion is a disease and you are a carrier of this disease.

Sunni or later a steaming of Shiite will explode over pious Christians.

Are you prepared?

Elims

Location hidden

#231183 Jun 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
bandwagon fallacy: concluding that an idea has merit simply because many people believe it or practice it.(e.g., Most people believe in a god; therefore, it must prove true.)
Simply because many people may believe something says nothing about the fact of that something.
For example many people during the Black plague believed that demons caused disease.
The number of believers say nothing at all about the cause of disease.
Religion is a disease and you are a carrier of this disease.
Sunni or later a steaming of Shiite will explode over pious Christians.
Are you prepared?
Elims
Read it again.

I didn't assert anything. I simply asked you to explain how the idea of an afterlife appears in nearly every culture in human history.

I think Islam could be God's judgment on the Western culture. As an atheist, you should be the one concerned, right?

Smile.
CunningLinguist

Alachua, FL

#231184 Jun 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
<quoted text>
Read it again.
I didn't assert anything. I simply asked you to explain how the idea of an afterlife appears in nearly every culture in human history.
I think Islam could be God's judgment on the Western culture. As an atheist, you should be the one concerned, right?
Smile.
I am irreligious not an atheist.

Religion appears to be a refuge from reality.

Carl Sagan said it best "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof".

Interesting thought...

If an alien spaceship visited Earth and landed on the White House lawn like in the 50's movie, would they care about what religions we had?

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#231185 Jun 25, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said you can do what you like, it will make no difference
Your xenophobia has little to do with your deliberate ignorance
I have an answer for what I know
..you bring guns ..to my knife fight ...

You are beaning , a bully .

I'm like a little girl ...in this cultural war ..and , you have the hammer ...

and , I got a mouth ....PHIFFT ..!!

"Kimare'a" is " DIFFERENT " ..He actually respects "your" opinions ..

He , actually claims you are "not" silly , stupid fools ...

He , says ..." number four " ..they are smarter than you , they know exactly ..what , they are doing ...

long story short ...I thought you were children ..."Kilmrae " says you are devils ..

Las Vegas, NV

#231186 Jun 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
gay....witch....what's the diffy diffy?(omg - how gay did THAT sound?)
..NOT gay AT ALL ..

I'm contented ..we burned them up ...I DON'T WANT TO BE TURNED INTO A NEWT ...

Give some "likes" ..atheist forum ..?!

Las Vegas, NV

#231187 Jun 25, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Rubbish.
She's a Brit, and I'm a Mick. We share about eight centuries of unfriendly.
We got over it.
..sigh..I'm a american ....YOU TWO ARE NEITHER ...

There is no tribe , we all are mutts ( mixed breed )

I bet ' one ' of you claim Russia .or...definetly GAY FRANCE ...

Las Vegas, NV

#231188 Jun 25, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
If the arguer (you) relies on faith as the bases of his argument, then little is gained from further discussion. Faith, by definition, relies on a belief that does not rest on logic or evidence. Faith depends on irrational thought and produces intransigence.
"The idea of God was not a lie but a device of the unconscious which needed to be decoded by psychology. A personal god was nothing more than an exalted father-figure: desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father, for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires, feared and worshipped by human beings out of an abiding sense of helplessness. Religion belonged to the infancy of the human race; it had been a necessary stage in the transition from childhood to maturity. It had promoted ethical values which were essential to society. Now that humanity had come of age, however, it should be left behind." ~Sigmund Freud
..I'm of a mind that whose choose ..psychology ...are already.. ILL ...THAT:'S WHY THEY CHOOSE THAT FIELD ....

trying to figure out why ..

Just my opinion .

I've already discussed ..the "analytical " mind ...DOES NOT ..mesh ..with ..FAITH...

but , WHY..do Atheists " believe " in evil or lies ..IF , THERE IS NO SUCH THING ..???
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231190 Jun 25, 2014
Because dreaming of an afterlife is childishly easy. Everything we have discovered has turned out to be "not magic".

In such a massive universe, alien life seems probable. It is indeed possible that what you call god was just an alien sex tourist.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231191 Jun 25, 2014
Straw man argument.
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..I'm of a mind that whose choose ..psychology ...are already.. ILL ...THAT:'S WHY THEY CHOOSE THAT FIELD ....
trying to figure out why ..
Just my opinion .
I've already discussed ..the "analytical " mind ...DOES NOT ..mesh ..with ..FAITH...
but , WHY..do Atheists " believe " in evil or lies ..IF , THERE IS NO SUCH THING ..???
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#231192 Jun 25, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Straw man argument.
<quoted text>
It's actually part of the "beauty argument." Why do we believe in perfection, justice, uninterrupted harmony, the possibility of utopia, etc... When all evidence in this world speaks to the contrary.
The question is, does being thirsty prove the existence of water? It doesn't but it can probably be cited as evidence. We would die if our most basic needs were unfulfilled. But purpose, joy, security, peace, love, tranquility... These things that we try to achieve through things of this world that eventually fail us. We seem to have a real need for them, which we might cite as evidence that there is a true source for them.
Why does a sunset, or a mountain range fill us with such deep longing and inspiration? What possible survival need does that fulfill? Why are our brains even wired for that? Why has every culture in history felt the need to assemble at an empty space and say "thank you, and these are the things we also need?" What kind of survival tactic is that? It goes beyond just hope and into faith. Which is a reliance? But why?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231193 Jun 26, 2014
I called "straw man" on the other poster because he claimed Atheists don't believe lies exist.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's actually part of the "beauty argument." Why do we believe in perfection, justice, uninterrupted harmony, the possibility of utopia, etc... When all evidence in this world speaks to the contrary.
The question is, does being thirsty prove the existence of water? It doesn't but it can probably be cited as evidence. We would die if our most basic needs were unfulfilled. But purpose, joy, security, peace, love, tranquility... These things that we try to achieve through things of this world that eventually fail us. We seem to have a real need for them, which we might cite as evidence that there is a true source for them.
Why does a sunset, or a mountain range fill us with such deep longing and inspiration? What possible survival need does that fulfill? Why are our brains even wired for that? Why has every culture in history felt the need to assemble at an empty space and say "thank you, and these are the things we also need?" What kind of survival tactic is that? It goes beyond just hope and into faith. Which is a reliance? But why?

Location hidden

#231194 Jun 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
<quoted text>
Read it again.
Smile.
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I am irreligious not an atheist.
Religion appears to be a refuge from reality.
Carl Sagan said it best "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof".
Interesting thought...
If an alien spaceship visited Earth and landed on the White House lawn like in the 50's movie, would they care about what religions we had?
Why are you desperately avoiding my question?

I'm sure Muslims would consider that an acceptable alternative...

The book of Exodus DOES record an Alien visit. He created and predicted the exceptional impact of the Jewish culture. Kind of blows your assertion out of the water, huh.

Smile.

Location hidden

#231195 Jun 26, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Because dreaming of an afterlife is childishly easy. Everything we have discovered has turned out to be "not magic".
So every culture had the same dream about something that doesn't exist?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but that sounds like childish reasoning...

Smirk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 min Eagle 12 21,202
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 25 min Eagle 12 770
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 25 min Knower of nothing 43,309
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 27 min Eagle 12 18,592
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 36 min hpcaban 9,379
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr ChristineM 10,063
Good arguments against Christianity 2 hr Eagle 12 217
More from around the web