Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256546 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#229596 May 21, 2014
hpcaban wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you equate complaining to running to the devil? And then you advise to run to the Big Daddy in the Sky! Tsk, tsk.
that's a fair question and i'd like to answer it:

because satan was the first whiney narcissist ever and his influence is felt by those who share his same disgraced nature!

"big sky daddy in sky"? are you referring to the 'science' so-called, which gaytheist's assume is some great cohesive entity with all the answers, rather than realizing it's just a bunch of angry assholes like all ya'll on these threads who are trying against hope to prove that there isn't a God???
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#229597 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to butt in it is a fairly recent scientific concept born of the study of cosmology in combination with quantum theories and particle physics. It is known that the laws of thermodynamics could not coalesce until sometime after the universe came into existence (somewhere between 10^-35 to 10^-23 of a second after the event). Therefore the 2nd law dictates that the laws could have no baring in the previous creation of the universe. So it could be possible in pre cause and effect tiny fractions of a second for something to occur from nothing.
The latest scientific thinking is that the universe was created from a quantum event of unknown type but there is actually no scientific reason that it could not have been created from absolutely nothing.
However when you consider the word ‘void’ then it seems that godbots are quite content with the concept of something from nothing, yet they shout that it cannot be, except when there god does it by magic.
I wonder why none of them actually understand the wording of the babble.
I'm certainly open to all possibilities,,

until someone proves universe started from nothing I wont believe it,as its a heluva lots of Something to come from Nothing,,quite impossible to happen imho more likely theres some other multiverses from which our universe was born...
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#229598 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
The Oil industry is much too powerful to let electric cars take over.
Oil corps can go F themselves,
Unless price of gas drops drasticaly which is very unlikely to happen,people will go electric,
Electrics have no need for oil changes tune ups,etc,and its motors is 99% efficient costing maybe 2cents per mile to charge up..,not even diesel can beat that

http://youtu.be/Vms4NjBJbZI
Off road electric race cars
http://youtu.be/2qCu0XgpQzs

Since: Aug 13

Boise, ID

#229600 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm just putting together a simple equation so y'all can understand:
no God now = no God forever;
know God now = know God forever!
this is fair and just and according to every atheist's/gaytheist's wishes; no?:-)
Explain to me which God? and why? also wth is a gaytheist? Do you even know what "theist"means.... yes google it.

Since: Aug 13

Boise, ID

#229602 May 21, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm certainly open to all possibilities,,
until someone proves universe started from nothing I wont believe it,as its a heluva lots of Something to come from Nothing,,quite impossible to happen imho more likely theres some other multiverses from which our universe was born...
No one knows "all"

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#229605 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you are wrong, and projecting your own gross ignorance.
I suggest you look up the meaning of Atheism in a dictionary, or ask someone who knows.
An atheist is someone who does not believe in deities.
Atheist religions have always existed and still exist. A good example is the Buddhist religion, which has many millions of followers, and which does not teach in the existence of deities but only in the existence of spirit beings of different levels. It is also thousands of years old, older than Christianity in fact.
So to make such a sweeping statement that atheist religions do not exist is simply gross ignorance on the subject and shows whose sanity is in doubt.
There are also regular atheist posters here who have declared that they are atheists but believe in spirits. Some even have declared that they see divinity in nature.
Nature worship is in fact a form of religion without particular gods or god, and again is as old as man himself.
I could go on teaching you about these basic facts concerning atheism and religion, which you are obviously ignorant of.
Another of your ignorant, or misinformed, statements is about the age of enlightenment and of reason. This does not mean that these enlightened people were atheists, because many of them were not. They just believed that reason should come before religious dogma.
So I suppose you have also never heard of people who believe in the existence of God but adhere to no particular religion.
You still have a lot to learn, I'm afraid.
It's an art but not a religion, when you take away the unknown.
To master something is an art, no mystery only mastery.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#229606 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing can come out of nothing. And that is a scientific law.
Which is where science stops and belief in Something or Someone who is not physical started it all.
Which is the biggest proof of the existence of a creator God, whatever form HE/It/They had.
And this is where atheists simply shut up.
Are you really that stupid or just Trolling?

Belief in NOT proof of any god,no matter how much you wish it was..

And if something is not physical it doesn't exist..

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229607 May 21, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>Are you really that stupid or just Trolling?

Belief in NOT proof of any god,no matter how much you wish it was..

And if something is not physical it doesn't exist..
Trolling.

It's a troll.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229608 May 21, 2014
A stupid one.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#229609 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you are wrong, and projecting your own gross ignorance.
I suggest you look up the meaning of Atheism in a dictionary, or ask someone who knows.
An atheist is someone who does not believe in deities.
Atheist religions have always existed and still exist. A good example is the Buddhist religion, which has many millions of followers, and which does not teach in the existence of deities but only in the existence of spirit beings of different levels. It is also thousands of years old, older than Christianity in fact.
So to make such a sweeping statement that atheist religions do not exist is simply gross ignorance on the subject and shows whose sanity is in doubt.
There are also regular atheist posters here who have declared that they are atheists but believe in spirits. Some even have declared that they see divinity in nature.
Nature worship is in fact a form of religion without particular gods or god, and again is as old as man himself.
I could go on teaching you about these basic facts concerning atheism and religion, which you are obviously ignorant of.
Another of your ignorant, or misinformed, statements is about the age of enlightenment and of reason. This does not mean that these enlightened people were atheists, because many of them were not. They just believed that reason should come before religious dogma.
So I suppose you have also never heard of people who believe in the existence of God but adhere to no particular religion.
You still have a lot to learn, I'm afraid.
Theres may be some so,called atheistic religions such as Budhism etc
However
atheism is stil NOT a religion

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229612 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I often marvel at people passing a school during break times when all the kids are out in the playground and screaming at each other. They will often say ‘aww, just listen to the little dears’. It is obvious they cannot hear the threats and abuse that is actually being shouted…
I know it gets better, in so many ways. Thank goodness.
That German authority trip is so stereotypical. I was on a plane a couple of years ago, just landed at Manchester and the usual unbuckling of seat belts and opening the overhead lockers was going on, before the seat belts sign was switched off. The German cabin steward stood and shouted “sit down” and wonder of wonders, everyone did… I noted three Hitler style salutes from people disembarking in front of me.
it's like that sometimes.

As for Germans...Why did Hitler commit suicide?
Because he got the gas bill.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229613 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly my point. If electric cars are cheaper to run, more environment friendly, more efficient and clean, and probably also cheaper to manufacture, why are they not replacing the benzene or gas cars?
Because even governments are held to ransom by the oil moguls, and would lose a lot of gas tax money if this happened.
Btw, the American phrase of Gas for petrolium or refined oil is a misnomer, because gas is a totally different thing. Europeans and other nations do not use "gas" in cars, but for cooking, heating and other things.
I'll agree with you there. Petrol, gasoline, whatever you call it is totally fking the environment and we have even fought oil wars this century.

But it's all about the bottom line.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#229614 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder where you got that.
That's exactly what Buddhists teach.
All that you mention here is in fact achieved through meditation.
It's because quiet meditation puts you in contact with your higher self, or spiritual self, which is part of the Universal Spirit.
Materialist atheists just don't know what they're missing.
Religious people, such as yourself cannot think out of religious context.
Mastery does not require religious thought only the will of a Knights resolve.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229615 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>I think you and the previous poster are under the influence of spirits by drinking too much.

Either that or you are just plain ignorant, to put it mildly.
http://i.imgur.com/iLvmemn.jpg

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#229617 May 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Cultural history is about 8000 years. All cultural history includes deities.
Blushing is an indication of morality.
Just how would you confirm an animal has a moral code?
You don't know what you are talking about.
Smile.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
More obfuscation? WTF has cultural anything got to do with it? And the term ‘cultural history means’ different things in different parts of the world and in different disciplines. You consider it 8000 years, some experts consider it up to 14000 years (I’ll take the experts opinion over yours), latest archaeology is increasing that date all the time with recent finding say that the first civilisations arose 78,000 years ago.
But even given you statement that “All cultural history includes deities” there has never – that’s NEVER been any evidence to confirm such belief.
Blushing is an indication of embarrassment, morality has nothing to do with it
In the same way you confirm a human has a moral code, by observation. There is no point in asking a human because just like apes and pigs, we know humans can be deceitful and lie.
Oh yes I do know what I am talking about and I can prove it, how about you?
Recorded human history begins with the advent of writing. About the 4th millenium BC.

A belief in the supernatural is recorded in any culture with a significant record. Hence my point that it is incredibly unlikely that something you claim does not exist (supernatural beings), is contrived by every culture.

Blushing, as referred to in the quote by Mark Twain, simply notes a sense of moral violation.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reclaimin...

I'm still waiting for you to validate any claim you've made...

Smile.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#229618 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you got the idea that I am a religious person.
You don't have to be a religious person to practice meditation.
But it is as expected from a narrow minded materialist atheist.
However you are contradicting yourself, unless you explain what you mean by this last verse of yours
"There is no death, there is the Force."
When you die, your ideals as a group do not die, unless the entire group dies to the last one.
If your cause was great enough, the cause will still not die as another will pick up the cause to rise to champion it. A great cause , something of worth and meaning cannot be destroyed. It become a force to be reckoned with.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning...
Such were the ideas that made this country, and even now the liberty bell rings again, when called to chime.

Location hidden

#229619 May 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The chance of every culture coming up with the same explanation of a fictional supernatural being(s), is ludicrous.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh right so you believe in Anu or Brama, or the world turtle, if the forest spirits, or lightning, or the sun, or the moon or the aurocks, or Mithras or Odin or ice giants or talking donkeys or racism? Do you wear sacred underwear? Can you get bitten by poisonous snakes and remain unharmed? Do you wave chickens over your head to absolve you from sin? Have you had you foreskin or clitoris removed in religious ceremony?
Same explanation?
Try again.
Honey, you are making my point.

Location hidden

#229621 May 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand how bigoted and ignorant that makes you look???
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how one god not standing out from the other 3700 or so gods that have been worshipped throughout history makes me look anything other than factual?
Ahh I get it, you are christian so anything that contradicts your belief in the mythology of bronze age goat herders is automatically bigoted and ignorant – right?
Do you realise how deliberately ignorant and moronic that makes you look?
Because there are not numerous buildings dedicated to Thor in your community. Only one God most likely.

Nor are there buildings dedicated to the original gods of this land in your community.

You don't see a difference. The only explanation is, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron.

SMile.

Location hidden

#229622 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Methinks you need to look up the meaning of the words atheism and deity
Worship implies deity, whether that deity be a named god, a carving of an ancestor or a tree in a wooded clearing makes no difference
In the words of a wise one – atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby
Um, while every culture had a belief in the supernatural, there were also still those who didn't believe.

Atheists. In other words,'rational atheist' oxymorons.

Smile.

Location hidden

#229623 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So fact is what you call name calling?
My last sentence was in direct response to the godbot statement “Do you understand how bigoted and ignorant that makes you look???” So funny how you choose not to pull that godbot up on name calling but rather you chose to have a go at the atheist. How easy it is to prove your christianity (note that is not a compliment).
Of all reasoning people who ever lived (that’s a lot of people, estimated at over 100 billion) most had no idea that the universe existed outside the shell of the earth that was believed until comparatively recently in human terms. Since that time when the universe was know about, the religions based on the god dun it wiv magic have been playing catch-up and failing.
Actually it could just have happened out of nothing, there is no scientific bar to that thesis, and atheism has little to do with it. Was it you who commented on my statement regarding doing your research before opening your mouth and some fool sticking their foot in it? Just because you don’t want to believe that something can come from nothing is your own problem and based on the rules of this universe that were created after this universe began.
BTW, may I suggest you look up the meaning of the word ‘void’ and try that one again.
One reason why different societies had different names for their deities was/is because they were different deities ranging from talking donkeys to turtles, from war gods to love goddesses, from trees and streams to spaced out dreams.
The word god is a 6th century translation of the germanic word Gott that arrived in England via the Dutch. Which basically means that all English translations of the babble are based on 6th century wording and therefore wrong in the context of the OT period, thanks for bringing that up.
Still avoiding answering why a belief in the supernatural is present in every culture.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 3 min Eagle 12 67
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 6 min Eagle 12 4,819
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 min Eagle 12 10,049
News Why I quit atheism 8 min Eagle 12 697
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Chimney1 43,158
A Universe from Nothing? 15 min u196533dm 488
News New Jersey woman will get to use '8THEIST' lice... 22 min Eagle 12 6
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 31 min Eagle 12 5,686
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 45 min Eagle 12 18,497
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Chazofsaints 3,841
More from around the web