Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255231 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#229563 May 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand how bigoted and ignorant that makes you look???
Please explain how one god not standing out from the other 3700 or so gods that have been worshipped throughout history makes me look anything other than factual?

Ahh I get it, you are christian so anything that contradicts your belief in the mythology of bronze age goat herders is automatically bigoted and ignorant – right?

Do you realise how deliberately ignorant and moronic that makes you look?

#229564 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The Catholics have been forced to acknowledge it - finally. Here, we are having a Royal Commission into sexual abuse in institutions.
But I only mentioned that briefly @ the end of that post. There are other forms of child abuse which the churches are responsible for.
I know first hand of some of the child abuse that churches are responsible for.

I am dyslexic and for 10 years of my life I suffered sustained verbal abuse by good church going christian folks because I was unable to read the babble and therefore different.

And of course is the indoctrination they impose on children, in any other grouping it would be considered child abuse and punished by imprisonment. Good godbots get away with it because god is on their side which makes them above the law – hmmm.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229565 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, so do cats and it’s hilarious, problem is laughing at them makes it worse and so…

How to get a cat to ignore you…
Want attention.

So I read, I've never met a cat that could ignore me.

#229567 May 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Want attention.
You must be using the right cat treats

#229568 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to intervene, but you are wrong, and KM is right.
I suppose you never heard of atheist religions, which abounded thousands of years ago.
They believed in spirits and ancestor worship but did not have any particular gods.
So before you make derogatory remarks be sure that it doesn't backfire on you.
Methinks you need to look up the meaning of the words atheism and deity

Worship implies deity, whether that deity be a named god, a carving of an ancestor or a tree in a wooded clearing makes no difference

In the words of a wise one – atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229570 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>You must be using the right cat treats
I haven't got any cats at the moment but when I did have them, as well as rescue ones. I gave them whatever they wanted and usually had a ball on a string hooked to my belt loop. Never with shorts though, just not worth it.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#229571 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to intervene, but you are wrong, and KM is right.
I suppose you never heard of atheist religions, which abounded thousands of years ago.
They believed in spirits and ancestor worship but did not have any particular gods.
So before you make derogatory remarks be sure that it doesn't backfire on you.
You're of course another person who understand very little about atheism, and the reasons for it. Barring some primitive cultures that may have been superstition free or appear to have had no ritualistic belief systems, which we can only guess about.
The true concept of atheism in the western societies presented itself first with enlightenment
and the age of reason and is at best 400 years old, but truly did not revolutionize itself until the last 150. When you say "atheist religion" You remove all doubt to sanity.
We non believers know there is a learning curve between religion and enlightenment.
They curve away from each other, and you believers don't get to define what unbelievers believe. Just as the uninformed don't get to inform , nor do the unknowing ....know.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#229572 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am dyslexic and for 10 years of my life I suffered sustained verbal abuse by good church going christian folks because I was unable to read the babble and therefore different.
And of course is the indoctrination they impose on children, in any other grouping it would be considered child abuse and punished by imprisonment. Good godbots get away with it
because god is on their side which makes them above the law – hmmm.
Good point. What happened to you is what happens when you put untrained individuals in some sort of authority over children and charge them with the religious education of those children.

#229573 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
The usual atheist offensive name calling apart, I think that what KM meant was that all reasoning people who ever lived realized that the vast universe came from somewhere. It couldn't just have happened out of nothing and nowhere, as modern atheists want us to believe.
The reason why different societies had different names for gods is just that they called them by different names. Even today the word God is totally different in most languages. As far as I know it is only called God in English
So fact is what you call name calling?

My last sentence was in direct response to the godbot statement “Do you understand how bigoted and ignorant that makes you look???” So funny how you choose not to pull that godbot up on name calling but rather you chose to have a go at the atheist. How easy it is to prove your christianity (note that is not a compliment).

Of all reasoning people who ever lived (that’s a lot of people, estimated at over 100 billion) most had no idea that the universe existed outside the shell of the earth that was believed until comparatively recently in human terms. Since that time when the universe was know about, the religions based on the god dun it wiv magic have been playing catch-up and failing.

Actually it could just have happened out of nothing, there is no scientific bar to that thesis, and atheism has little to do with it. Was it you who commented on my statement regarding doing your research before opening your mouth and some fool sticking their foot in it? Just because you don’t want to believe that something can come from nothing is your own problem and based on the rules of this universe that were created after this universe began.

BTW, may I suggest you look up the meaning of the word ‘void’ and try that one again.

One reason why different societies had different names for their deities was/is because they were different deities ranging from talking donkeys to turtles, from war gods to love goddesses, from trees and streams to spaced out dreams.

The word god is a 6th century translation of the germanic word Gott that arrived in England via the Dutch. Which basically means that all English translations of the babble are based on 6th century wording and therefore wrong in the context of the OT period, thanks for bringing that up.

#229574 May 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't got any cats at the moment but when I did have them, as well as rescue ones. I gave them whatever they wanted and usually had a ball on a string hooked to my belt loop. Never with shorts though, just not worth it.
I am just recovering from a feline love bite on my arm I received on the day I returned from holiday. It seems that at least one of my little angels missed me (or decided to inflict pain because I left her)

#229575 May 21, 2014
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. What happened to you is what happens when you put untrained individuals in some sort of authority over children and charge them with the religious education of those children.
It was not just the vicar of our church but the majority of the congregation.

My parents still live in the same village, when I visit I see looks of contrition and embarrassment on the faces of some of the older inhabitants and it is a joy to behold.

A few years ago the vicar tracked me down and apologised and asked be to rejoin his church, perhaps his last act of perceived good will before he retired, it would no doubt have eased his conscience in his old age.

Needless to say he was sent packing with a flea in his ear. How is it so easy for someone to simply apologise for causing years of abuse?

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#229576 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course is the indoctrination they impose on children, in any other grouping it would be considered child abuse and punished by imprisonment. Good godbots get away with it because god is on their side which makes them above the law – hmmm.
Agreed. I'm sorry you went through that as a kid.

I went to church schools and the bullying I went through put me off religion, almost for life. My family couldn't care less @ the time, because that was the "best" school I was going to. They suddenly did care when I decided to leave their church later.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#229577 May 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Want attention.
Cats will ignore you sometimes, but will NEVER let you ignore them esp when hungry.

My old Persian used to scratch the shopping bags to pieces, because he knew that annoyed me. That's because I was scared he would suffocate in one as a kitten. Another way he would push my buttons was to rake a his claws down the windows. HIDEOUS NOISE!
:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#229579 May 21, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No.
Your storybook says Adam and Eve didn't have knowledge of good and evil before eating of the tree of knowledge. Therefore they couldn't sin. Any poor design was 100% your god's fault.
You post about your god like a battered wife. "I know he gets angry but he loves me really"
<quoted text>
you agree with devils about God - you shall share their fate......
christINSANITY is EVIL

Chatham, Canada

#229580 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
The usual atheist offensive name calling apart, I think that what KM meant was that all reasoning people who ever lived realized that the vast universe came from somewhere. It couldn't just have happened out of nothing and nowhere, as modern atheists want us to believe.
The reason why different societies had different names for gods is just that they called them by different names. Even today the word God is totally different in most languages. As far as I know it is only called God in English
youre LYING again
Ive never heard any atheist claim universe came from nothing,
only religitars say that
you owe us an appology

#229581 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to church schools and the bullying I went through put me off religion, almost for life. My family couldn't care less @ the time, because that was the "best" school I was going to. They suddenly did care when I decided to leave their church later.
Cheers. Religion really does have a lot to answer for.

There are various forms of bullying, was it from kids with the “supervising” adults turning a blind eye or was it adults directly involved in the bullying?

Although my parents were christian in mind (really still are) they rarely attended church. For years I kept it from my parents, embarrassment I suppose, when I did pluck up the courage to tell them they really did not believe it until they came to church and saw for themselves. I had no problem from them when I left.

#229582 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you agree with devils about God - you shall share their fate......
I see you are still making empty threats

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229583 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>you agree with devils about God - you shall share their fate......
You're an idiot. Your imaginary devils believe in your non existent god.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#229584 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
it's a grave error to attribute to God what people do to each other because of sin.

you're adding insult to injury to yourself for running to the devil with your complaints and sorrow rather then going to the Great Physician who truly cares!:-)

btw - i went to a public school where there was no pretense of religion and was still bullied and was also a bully there!:-)

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#229585 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheers. Religion really does have a lot to answer for.
There are various forms of bullying, was it from kids with the “supervising” adults turning a blind eye or was it adults directly involved in the bullying?
Although my parents were christian in mind (really still are) they rarely attended church. For years I kept it from my parents, embarrassment I suppose, when I did pluck up the courage to tell them they really did not believe it until they came to church and saw for themselves. I had no problem from them when I left.
Mostly it was the kids, little bimbos.

One teacher I had had taught my brother too, when he was being a rebel. So he decided we were all a family of bad eggs - and tried to break this one. His background was German, so you can imagine the power trip, ie schadenfreude.

Eventually I got my revenge by marching like one in assembly and giving him a Hitler salute. He was so outraged!

It really does get better, eventually...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 53 min Eagle 12 9,716
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 1 hr Patrick 12
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Patrick 4,341
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Patrick 13,170
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr renee 31,000
News How God Messed Up My Happy Atheist Life 4 hr Patrick 18
Majority of Scots now have no religion 4 hr Patrick 3
More from around the web