Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256555 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#229527 May 20, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
And thank God for that. Can you imagine what America would be like if it was Muslim?
One thing's for sure, no atheist would exist if it was so.
It was Christians who founded America and made it a great nation. And who gave people the freedom to be atheists if they wanted.
There are many Muslims in the US despite the prejudices heaped against them by non Muslim Americans and the anti muslim press.

Not quite true, there were many christians among the founders of the US but not all by a long shot and the country was not founded on christian principals

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#229528 May 20, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The assertion that every civilization would solve the unknowingly by creating a fictional god is ludicrous.
"Man is the only animal that blushes."
You dont know what you are talking about.
Why is it ludicrous, because the great god KiMare decrees it? Historically it seems to be fact, there has never been any proof of any deity yet for the last 10,000 years or so deities have cropped up as civilisations flourish. So logical conclusion comes to mind.

WTF has the blush response got to do with anything? Anyway we don’t know if humanity is the only species that feels embarrassment, it is the only one we know about for sure.

Wrong, I know exactly what I am talking about however you seem to be incapable of assimilating facts that contradict you idea of goddunit wiv magic.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229529 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it ludicrous, because the great god KiMare decrees it? Historically it seems to be fact, there has never been any proof of any deity yet for the last 10,000 years or so deities have cropped up as civilisations flourish. So logical conclusion comes to mind.

WTF has the blush response got to do with anything? Anyway we don’t know if humanity is the only species that feels embarrassment, it is the only one we know about for sure.

Wrong, I know exactly what I am talking about however you seem to be incapable of assimilating facts that contradict you idea of goddunit wiv magic.
Dogs get embarrassed. It's adorable.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#229530 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it ludicrous, because the great god KiMare decrees it? Historically it seems to be fact, there has never been any proof of any deity yet for the last 10,000 years or so deities have cropped up as civilisations flourish. So logical conclusion comes to mind.
Cultural history is about 8000 years. All cultural history includes deities.

Blushing is an indication of morality.

Just how would you confirm an animal has a moral code?

You don't know what you are talking about.

Smile.

Location hidden

#229531 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogs get embarrassed. It's adorable.
No, they don't.

Smile.

Location hidden

#229532 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The chance of every culture coming up with the same explanation of a fictional supernatural being(s), is ludicrous.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229533 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>It is the only explanation I can consider because they certainly were not Muslim.
Typical really.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229534 May 20, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>No, they don't.

Smile.
Yes, they do.

Interpretive dance.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#229535 May 20, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You don't.
<quoted text>
oh i see - so you live by ignorant & blind faith, based solely on your bias and bigotry against the revelation of the Son of God - Jesus the Christ!

seems like all y'all atheists are gonna get what you deserve......

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#229536 May 20, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>oh i see - so you live by ignorant & blind faith, based solely on your bias and bigotry against the revelation of the Son of God - Jesus the Christ!

seems like all y'all atheists are gonna get what you deserve......
Y'all christians will vanish soon?

Claps delightedly.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229537 May 20, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..not really sure , why I'm here ....But , "waaaasssuup" ...God is unchanging , you don't really believe *incest* was okay ; for a time ..?!
Jesus never spoke out against slavery , but it was never okay ..
And , besides "your" Bible has *two* creation stories ...(1) Adam was created first (2) Both were created together ....( let's not be misogynistic ..Eh..?.)
dude said - "you don't really believe *incest* was okay ; for a time ..?!"

where there is no law, there is no offense.

"Jesus never spoke out against slavery but it was never okay"

working off debt, i.e. indentured servant/slavery was okay in ancient cultures, but God made sure to put some humane laws around the practice for the Jews purposes.

""your" Bible has *two* creation stories ...(1) Adam was created first (2) Both were created together"

it never ceases to amaze me how critical skeptics are regarding the most ancient of texts when it comes to interpreting God/the Bible, but how orgasmic and generous they get when it comes all other ancient documents!

" let's not be misogynistic ..Eh..?"

you do what you gotta do pal, but in my house, my spouse doesn't tell me if i can play cards with the guys or not on the weekend after she was doing whatever she wanted all week long!;-)

Location hidden

#229540 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they do.
Interpretive dance.
No interpretation,fact.

Smile.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229541 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'all christians will vanish soon?
Claps delightedly.
i don't know how or why we got off on the wrong foot, darling, but if you would listen to what i have to say, you'd probably really like it:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229542 May 20, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Go on...
<quoted text>
well because since Adam, we've all chosen to live seperate/selfish lives apart from God our Creator, it only seems fit that we deserve to remain thus throughout eternity.
woudln't you agree?:-)

ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#229544 May 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't. The whole energy issue is a lot more complicated than that.
How can we all have the lifestyle we are all accustomed to, with all those lovely electronic goods and fast cars? Yet somehow manage not to turn the world into an overheated greenhouse.
Very easily,drive electric cars

http://youtu.be/V4T8a-UtLMU

Location hidden

#229545 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not really see the hebrew/christian/muslim god standing out any more than any other god
Do you understand how bigoted and ignorant that makes you look???

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#229547 May 20, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
And thank God for that. Can you imagine what America would be like if it was Muslim?
One thing's for sure, no atheist would exist if it was so.
It was Christians who founded America and made it a great nation. And who gave people the freedom to be atheists if they wanted.
We Thank the lord you are nearly extinct.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#229548 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I realise this, I was simply expanding a point that christians (many christians anyway) chose to deem themselves more morally superiority to none christians because that’s what their version of christianity teaches.
That very choice bars them from being christians, a quandary that they do not even realise they are creating.
Agreed. Humility and considering others as being more important than yourself is hard.

Location hidden

#229551 May 21, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>We Thank the lord you are nearly extinct.
Ah, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron makes a prediction.

Um, you know that was already made a thousand years ago by many 'rational atheist' oxymorons?

Smile.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229552 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
I definitely agree with you about brainwashing children with religion, or atheism for that matter.
I believe that a choice of religion, or no religion, should be made when they reach an age of reason.
Children should be taught about moral and responsible behaviour, and not some religious dogma.
But please, what has sexual abuse got to do with religion? It goes on everywhere with or without religion.
I agree with you. I'm all for moral and responsible behaviour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics

And sexual abuse is wrong, no matter who's doing it. The difference is even criminals will hurt those who have hurt a child, but religious types too often protect them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism is a mental illness 1 hr Reason Personified 9
Good arguments against Christianity 1 hr Reason Personified 204
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 2 hr Eagle 12 141
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Chimney1 43,191
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 18,514
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 4 hr Eagle 12 751
News Why I quit atheism 5 hr Eagle 12 703
A Universe from Nothing? 5 hr u196533dm 510
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 15 hr Thinking 5,688
More from around the web