Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256126 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#228517 May 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anytime you are losing an argument just use this old and faithful Atheist adage,
“Claim the other side is not educated.”
Wait a minute, you did that, well good for you.
Good point. According to him, having an education makes you like fine wine, fancy cars, traveling the world and spending too much money on bathhouse visits in Shanghai.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#228518 May 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks!
In that case it's safe to say that ar ar flatters many posters.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#228519 May 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Good point. According to him, having an education makes you like fine wine, fancy cars, traveling the world and spending too much money on bathhouse visits in Shanghai.
"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ass."

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#228520 May 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Do you know why the four of them dissented? What I mean is, what legal justification did they have to dissent?
I realize you dropped out of school, but hopefully you do know how to read.

Why not get a copy of the majority opinion and Justice Kagan's dissent?

Maybe you can at least try to understand.

If you can't, THEN turn to your hero and mentor, the Great Buck Crick.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#228521 May 6, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm part of a growing movement.
i like to call any 'movements' that are against God and His Christ, a movement towards the lake of fire

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#228522 May 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I commend to you an interesting article on Justice Sotomayor, in today's New York Times.
After you read it, you might explain it to the Redneck.
I was surprised to see that commentary on Sotomayer in the NYT.
Excerpts;

"National Review called the dissent “legally illiterate” and “a case study in the moral and legal corrosion that inevitably results from elevating ethnic-identity politics over the law.”
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
"Linda Chavez, a New York Post columnist, said Justice Sotomayor was “unable to divorce her legal reasoning from her own sense of racial grievance.”
"In a January concurrence, Justice Sotomayor said the other eight justices had created “deep injustice” by making it harder to sue foreign companies in American courts for complicity in human rights abuses abroad.

Justice Ginsburg, an understated writer, responded in vehement detail that her colleague had mischaracterized the trial record and misinterpreted the leading precedent.

In 2012, dissenting in an 8-to-1 decision on eyewitness testimony, Justice Sotomayor similarly accused the majority of ignoring its own precedents and a wealth of new knowledge. Justice Ginsburg responded that Justice Sotomayor was “inventing a ‘longstanding rule’ that never existed.”

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#228523 May 6, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I was surprised to see that commentary on Sotomayer in the NYT.
Excerpts;
"National Review called the dissent “legally illiterate” and “a case study in the moral and legal corrosion that inevitably results from elevating ethnic-identity politics over the law.”
"Linda Chavez, a New York Post columnist, said Justice Sotomayor was “unable to divorce her legal reasoning from her own sense of racial grievance.”
"In a January concurrence, Justice Sotomayor said the other eight justices had created “deep injustice” by making it harder to sue foreign companies in American courts for complicity in human rights abuses abroad.
Justice Ginsburg, an understated writer, responded in vehement detail that her colleague had mischaracterized the trial record and misinterpreted the leading precedent.
In 2012, dissenting in an 8-to-1 decision on eyewitness testimony, Justice Sotomayor similarly accused the majority of ignoring its own precedents and a wealth of new knowledge. Justice Ginsburg responded that Justice Sotomayor was “inventing a ‘longstanding rule’ that never existed.”
National Review? New York Post? Why not also look at the Phelpsian Telegraph?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#228524 May 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that the universe had a beginning point?
Or that life was formed out of the earth?
Or that it was genderless in it's conception?
My wife and I still have a great time sexually. Even after 37 years. I think God delights in that.
You spelled your name wrong:
'Rational atheist' oxymoron.
8Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what you're wife told me!
Yahweh delights in knowing you suck and... very poorly! Your wife also agrees with this.
Allah thinks you're a moron - 2.5 billion Muslims can't be wrong.
Keep trying buffoon... someday you may be half the man your mother is.
And there we have it folks, the best 'rational 8theist' oxymorons can mount...

Snicker smile.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#228525 May 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m not passing judgment but merely asking a question.

How many of these questions can be attributed to you?

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, which is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders.
Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:

Believing that you're better than others
Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
Exaggerating your achievements or talents
Expecting constant praise and admiration
Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
Taking advantage of others
Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
Being jealous of others
Believing that others are jealous of you
Trouble keeping healthy relationships
Setting unrealistic goals
Being easily hurt and rejected
Having a fragile self-esteem
Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#228526 May 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My second question, does a narcissist know that he/she is narcissistic?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#228527 May 6, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>i like to call any 'movements' that are against God and His Christ, a movement towards the lake of fire
Have fun there.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#228528 May 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheist take note,

“You are always smarter than everyone else in the room even if your not.”
Finally! A sensible post from you.

"Atheists" and "even if you're not."

Are grammatically correct. You're welcome.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#228529 May 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally! A sensible post from you.
"Atheists" and "even if you're not."
Are grammatically correct. You're welcome.
Thank you,

I sincerely don’t care if a post is grammatically correct or not.

That is not a requirement by topix.

It only becomes an issue when Atheist have no other retort.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#228530 May 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you,

I sincerely don’t care if a post is grammatically correct or not.

That is not a requirement by topix.

It only becomes an issue when Atheist have no other retort.
I said it was a good post. What's there to retort? I agreed with you and even provided a small example. I kind of think of it as our post now.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#228531 May 6, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The big problem has been using the raw power of electricity instead of mechanical leverage over the years. The emphasis has been on making more powerful motors, not finessing the mechanical assembly in consumer products. Such as air conditioning, power tools, vacuum cleaners, and even kitchen mixers. There have been improvements in the efficiency of such devices from new material technologies, but the trying to compact such raw power into the smallest space and portability combined with increased population and use of such products is what increases the demand. And the heat.
In the USA the use of 120v also doubles the current used in devices compared to 240v. That current, amperage, is THE demand on the electrical system. That is what generating systems produce. Voltage is just how you get it it distributed.
BTW, the artificial redirection of that current by technology also changes our EM signature in relation to the rest of the universe. We aren't following the natural flow, but fighting it.
We're not doing enough to care for the environment. Most people would choose their own creature comforts over that, unfortunately.

I didn't know it was 120V in the US. That's got to be safer than the potentially lethal 240V that the power supply is here.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#228532 May 6, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It is electronic impulses which keep your heart beating. There are actually little electrical "contacts" protrusions built right into your heart which transmit and receive the electric impulses to cause the heart muscles to retract and relax.
Your flippant humor is ill placed. It shows your ignorance of what you are.
You are a biologic electronic device. Plain and simple.
What the heck do you think that brain waves are? Water in motion?
What the heck do you think that nerve impulses are? Intuition?
Why do you think that tazers work so well on the human body? They disrupt the electric signal flow in your body, and things go real bad real quick. Your body just got short circuited Einstein.
That's right, electric shocks stop your heart from beating. If there is enough power...

However they use them to revive a heart attack victim, go figure.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#228533 May 6, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Well idn't THAT special.
Good word for him.
:-)

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#228534 May 6, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you in my house, sissy boy, so as long as you're viciously lying about the family of God, you're gonna hear from me about it!;-)
I heard that the family disowned you, sissy boy.

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#228535 May 6, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i like to call any 'movements' that are against God and His Christ, a movement towards the lake of fire
Then there's the bowel movement that you are.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#228536 May 7, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not doing enough to care for the environment. Most people would choose their own creature comforts over that, unfortunately.
I didn't know it was 120V in the US. That's got to be safer than the potentially lethal 240V that the power supply is here.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_the_US_run...

It really isn't "safer". Fire hazardwise it is more dangerous because of the higher current usually carried. Dramatic increase in sparking on bad connections or switching heavy loads on and off. Higher current equals higher temps. Your insulation, wire size, and conduit has to be designed for higher temp ratings. Overall it is much more expensive.

Your circuit breakers are double of what a 240v will be. Wires get much hotter before the breaker blows. This is why you have thicker wire required for a 30 amp load than a 15 amp load. A dead short can melt the thinner wire. Then you have melted copper near 1800 degrees F in your walls or conduit.

You won't notice much difference being zapped by 120 or 240 AC. It is the path the current flows in your body tht kills or doesn't. If your heart is in the path they are both going to interrupt it. This is why you put your left hand in your pocket when digging around in high voltage circuitry.

Now, pulsing DC at those voltages will bite the living shit out of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr karl44 16,420
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 2 hr Reason Personified 65
A Universe from Nothing? 4 hr IB DaMann 100
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 5 hr IB DaMann 7
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr IB DaMann 40,836
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Eagle 12 20,625
Good arguments against Christianity 9 hr IB DaMann 114
More from around the web