Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243470 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#228316 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =w_DKWlrA24kXX
This man was one of the more inspirational people of the last many decades.
It is quite obvious the quality of his physical existence could have been better. He was dealt a bad hand from the beginning.
But it produced one of the sweetest songs of all time.
A Topix atheist would just get more bitter with time. Making themselves and those around them miserable.
I love that cut, too, and learned to plat the ukulele just to perform it... had to lower the key to Bb, though.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#228317 May 4, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You could have stopped and thought about your last two sentences.
It just makes you seem like a sad, lonely, pathetic, wretched, odious, insufferable, arrogant, boastful loser.
Those aren't my words. I got them from a dictionary.
:-)

I thought this was a game.

Done ran the race, little one. No one wins it.

Was a rough course, but I didn't spend my time ranting and raving against it. Nor have I romanticized about rainbows. I just absorbed the scenery I passed to add to a data bank. I have had instances where it was coming to a screeching halt and the script got rewritten for me to continue. In fact I had one instance where it did come to a screeching halt.

I am not surprised you got those words from a dictionary. You haven't got the experience to know what they are yet. You may understand when you grow up.

Westcliffe, CO

#228318 May 4, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>I love that cut, too, and learned to plat the ukulele just to perform it... had to lower the key to Bb, though.
That is a neat little instrument, even I could pick out a tune on it back in my days of trying to play music. Went through a few instruments like autoharp, banjo, dulcimer, and mandolin. Never could handle a guitar. Some skilled players I knew suggested I take up the swinette, as that was where my musical talent appeared best suited. However, on my first try the damned pig kicked me in the teeth and broke off the plucking one. My musical career ended.
8Theist

Ocala, FL

#228319 May 4, 2014
For scientists who have lived by their faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a nightmare.

They've scaled the mountains of ignorance, pulled themselves over the final rock, are are greeted by theologians who've resided there for centuries.

The holy books are mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can they be trusted to tell us where we're going?

“Take five minutes to name one example of fun that isn't considered sin.... If you did it, you've just been a sinner of sloth. Isn't Christianity fun?”~ Andrew Waterhouse

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#228320 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
We will be allowed to see more of the "reality" if we change our perspective of it. You have to look beyond the purely "material". And definitely beyond your imagined 'self".
Yes.
Science is ill equipped to see beyond the "material" and that points out it's limitations of discovery.
The logic and reason of the self is limiting in a likewise fashion.
Those who attempt to find what is beyond the selfish material world by stepping aside from that selfish material world, will find what they seek.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#228321 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a neat little instrument, even I could pick out a tune on it back in my days of trying to play music. Went through a few instruments like autoharp, banjo, dulcimer, and mandolin. Never could handle a guitar. Some skilled players I knew suggested I take up the swinette, as that was where my musical talent appeared best suited. However, on my first try the damned pig kicked me in the teeth and broke off the plucking one. My musical career ended.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#228322 May 4, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Lmao!!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#228323 May 4, 2014
8Theist wrote:
For scientists who have lived by their faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a nightmare.
They've scaled the mountains of ignorance, pulled themselves over the final rock, are are greeted by theologians who've resided there for centuries.
The holy books are mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can they be trusted to tell us where we're going?
“Take five minutes to name one example of fun that isn't considered sin.... If you did it, you've just been a sinner of sloth. Isn't Christianity fun?”~ Andrew Waterhouse
You mean that the universe had a beginning point?

Or that life was formed out of the earth?

Or that it was genderless in it's conception?

My wife and I still have a great time sexually. Even after 37 years. I think God delights in that.

You spelled your name wrong:

'Rational atheist' oxymoron.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#228325 May 4, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..of , course " it " hurt..
try , to be a gentleman ; with the bitches .
You're right.

I should be nicer to the bitches.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#228326 May 4, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave seems to think we don't know about EM, gravity, the various laws of physics. Like it's some kind of revelation to him and him alone.
Dave thinks very highly of himself.
I guess somebody has to.
To top it off , some of the gobbledygook Dave thinks is so wrong it's comical.

Westcliffe, CO

#228327 May 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
To top it off , some of the gobbledygook Dave thinks is so wrong it's comical.
Like what and how?

Be articulate.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#228328 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Like what and how?

Be articulate.
Let's start with fart bubbles.

Westcliffe, CO

#228329 May 4, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's start with fart bubbles.
Go ahead. Whatever turns you on.

Let us know when you come up with something of substance.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#228330 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Like what and how?
Be articulate.
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
How do monuments channel telluric current and for what use? You can use the Great Pyramid as an example.

Dave wrote:
The same way you do with wires and semiconductors. Mass, gravity, and charge. It's macroelectronics, if you will.

The Great Pyramid, as the other pyramids, is a reverse, though. They were designed as a return to the sun and heavens. They drain charge buildups. One reason they buried Pharoahs in them. They become relatively static and timeless.

Again, you refer to them as monuments, something symbolic, not as machines doing a process. You are a machine doing a process.

Westcliffe, CO

#228331 May 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
How do monuments channel telluric current and for what use? You can use the Great Pyramid as an example.
Dave wrote:
The same way you do with wires and semiconductors. Mass, gravity, and charge. It's macroelectronics, if you will.
The Great Pyramid, as the other pyramids, is a reverse, though. They were designed as a return to the sun and heavens. They drain charge buildups. One reason they buried Pharoahs in them. They become relatively static and timeless.
Again, you refer to them as monuments, something symbolic, not as machines doing a process. You are a machine doing a process.
YOU referred to them as monuments. I responded to their purpose, not your classification of them. Even then they can still serve a purpose and still be monuments. I have referred to them as machines or devices many times in the past.

Pretty weak, Aura. In fact, very weak. Monumentally so.

Let's deal with science, not semantics.

Is that all you got?

Westcliffe, CO

#228332 May 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave wrote:
You could also supply the message link and/or proper quotation.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228333 May 4, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
AMPLIFIED BIBLE !!!!!
Can you hear me now?
[smiling]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228334 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You could also supply the message link and/or proper quotation.
Thanks for sharing with us IZ’s music. I remember hearing that song but I didn’t know IZ’s story. What a special treat it was to hear it again and learn of his story.

"Iz" Ka&#699;ano&#699;i Kamakawiwo&#699;ole

“Rising”

Milky Way

#228335 May 4, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU referred to them as monuments. I responded to their purpose, not your classification of them. Even then they can still serve a purpose and still be monuments. I have referred to them as machines or devices many times in the past.
Pretty weak, Aura. In fact, very weak. Monumentally so.
Let's deal with science, not semantics.
Is that all you got?
Actually I had no part in this conversation.
Only to re-post it to you. As an example of the question at hand.

Westcliffe, CO

#228336 May 4, 2014
http://www.viewzone.com/432hertz.html

Hokay. Another conspiracy a savvy Topix athiest will link to Christianity in some fashion. Hitler being a Christian, etc, you know?

440 hz became very popular for dial tone in digital telephone systems in the 70s and 80s. The solid state made it easier to generate. A nominal 400 hz was the standard for a long time in the older days. Usually by combining other frequencies if I remember right.

Any of you kids know what dial tone is? You don't have it on cellphones.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 min ChristineM 9,450
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Chimney1 19,802
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) Sun thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Sat Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
Disney Buys The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latte... (Nov '12) Jul 3 millertr1 5
More from around the web