Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255927 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#228206 May 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Soap is one product that can be made from swine.
And there's always the trading and bartering with other cultures.
Plus it's a good way to get rid of your pearls.

Oh hell, that's wrong isn't it?

Don't forget the Easter ham.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#228207 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You can communicate over the globe using tuned megalithic structures like you do with CW radio and Morse code.
<The Dave Nelson> "...NURSE!...it's time for my enema..."

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#228208 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T elluric_current
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batshitcrazy

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#228209 May 3, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Pop..says , there probably ...part of the Devil ..
so, intelligent .....of course .
Ravens are related to crows, and here's a video that demonstrates the latter's intelligence:

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#228210 May 3, 2014

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#228211 May 3, 2014
guesser wrote:
<quoted text>Life may be endemic to the universe. It may form just as readily as a crystal. You simply follow your giant ego with you suppositions that humans are the only reason everything exists. In other words you are full of shiite!
Something I've considered as I've learned more about the universe and seen fundies citing outrageous odds against life forming without the aid of their god, whose odds are even worse, is that considering the sheer size and variety of conditions known to exist in this universe, if life CAN form and exist then it MUST form and exist.

Considering that we KNOW it exists here, then there is necessarily life elsewhere. Much of it may be simple life forms, but some of it MUST evolve. Considering the age of the universe and considering the changes we've experienced in a mere 2000 years, there MUST be advanced civilizations. Just look how far we've advanced in the last 200 years and project that to 2000 years. Hopefully, anyway.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#228212 May 3, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>batty said "I see the bulk of the damage and inability to progress to be caused by religion. Not just yours, but practically all of them"

i can agree to a point, but i would say that MOST of the damage IS caused by YOUR religion.

the only way to escape the snares of religion intirely, is to be redeemed by Jesus Christ!
He takes coupons?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#228213 May 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>BenAdam wrote:

"Someone should start killing off these Fundies"
<yawn>

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#228214 May 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>I already know that man didn't create electricity.

I know about electrons, neutrons and protons.

I've read about Edison and Tesla and Westinghouse and DC vs AC.

I am a live wire, Dave. Socks and carpet :)
Dave's thinks that his very basic understanding of electricity and EM is somehow profound.

It's comical, really.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#228215 May 3, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Something I've considered as I've learned more about the universe and seen fundies citing outrageous odds against life forming without the aid of their god, whose odds are even worse, is that considering the sheer size and variety of conditions known to exist in this universe, if life CAN form and exist then it MUST form and exist.
Considering that we KNOW it exists here, then there is necessarily life elsewhere. Much of it may be simple life forms, but some of it MUST evolve. Considering the age of the universe and considering the changes we've experienced in a mere 2000 years, there MUST be advanced civilizations. Just look how far we've advanced in the last 200 years and project that to 2000 years. Hopefully, anyway.
Sounds like a sprouted seed to me.

You only have 4 identified forces and they follow fixed laws. In this whole observed universe,

Change in environment requires change in structures within to keep functioning. Adaptation. By your belief consciousness as you know it is totally a result of material construction, then any change in construction results in change of consciousness. This consciousness is also what gives you the perception of what you are physically. But that consciousness is only fully functional during waking hours. That is because of the material component of your existence that propels you through the functioning of the environment, the action/reaction to function in it. You cease those activitie and your mind can wander lots of places quite detached from what you are functioning in at the present time. Your mind and conciousness can go places your waking consciousness would never consider existing. Same physical processes, but your thought and perception of self is totally different. You are detached from the action/reaction of being awake and functioning. You shut your mind off to most of the sensory input of your physical construction. You will do the same thing, but in a more complete manner, when you go through the trauma process that occurs with physical death. You will just not be awaking in the same old bed. You will find a door locked, or the ignition key bazook.

You have a "spiritual" component to you that occupies available "physical" resources. You occupy a portion of a growing branch of physical formation. Currently it is regarded as mankind, so called human form. Human form is a glorified plant that arose from the dirt it was planted in. Your consciousness is a combo of that and your spiritual component.

You express a lot of angst and disappointment with the world you live in. As a purely physical manifestation you would not do such a thing. You would just seek the path of least resistance. That is what the physical forces and energy does.

There is a certain non-mixing of assembled physical components derived from disparate environments. Energies can be exchanged, but the full physical interaction your soul desires, and the guidance from advanced races inspired by your science fiction fantasies aren't going to happen.

Get your shit together here on your own before you fall off the tree. It will determine which patch of ground you will fall to.

Or something like that.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#228216 May 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be unfortunate. You do realise that cave walls are generally made of calcite or dolomite, right?
They're not too hard to scratch.
You're probably right, though. The adult cave people may have had eye protection and lots of time on their hands.
You do realize that many of the ancient drawings are on cliff faces and hard rock walls and not in caves. Those rock cliffs and walls have stood exposed to the elements for hundreds of thousands of years. They are most certainly hard to scratch.
Most cave "drawings" are not scratch into the surface either. They are painted figures using various paints and pigment methods.

Location hidden

#228217 May 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking to some dude on the Salisbury Plain the other day. I was using 4G LTE though. Is that cheating?
No, but it may interest you to know that ancient native North American peoples have oral histories which include telling of visions received hundreds of years ago which talk of one person standing on the shore of Turtle Island (North America) and talking to a person standing on the shore of Africa and both were speaking into and using their "talking stones".

Is your 4G LTE using quartz crystal technology?

Location hidden

#228218 May 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know anything at all about them.
"We"?
Speak for your self.

Location hidden

#228219 May 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. I'm sure the other 16 million people in my city will be lonely as well.
We'll all be lonely together.
We do have a few megalithic structures here though. I'll just need to figure out how to tune them. I'll start with A minor and work my way up the scale.
It seems to me that anyone who plans on pursuing a medical field profession would be well advised to abandon childish smartass approaches to learning new things. The successful ones in that field are naturally curious and imaginative about possibilities, and not flippantly dismissive when a new bit of info surfaces.
Just sayin'.

Location hidden

#228220 May 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> People assumed ancient man had no means of communicating with other cultures in the remote past.
This is proving to be false, it sure appears about as long as man was able to spread out over the globe, some of us were traveling back and forth between continents.
Ancient men did not have fast means of travel, but were able to conquer the distances by land and sea. There were men in America 50,000 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pKP9ru_G5vkXX
I am well aware that the people were here at least that long ago.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#228221 May 3, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that many of the ancient drawings are on cliff faces and hard rock walls and not in caves. Those rock cliffs and walls have stood exposed to the elements for hundreds of thousands of years. They are most certainly hard to scratch.
Most cave "drawings" are not scratch into the surface either. They are painted figures using various paints and pigment methods.
Although there is evidence man used pigments for over 100,000 years, the oldest cave art is only 40,000 years old. Petroglyphs are much more recent 10,000 to 12,000 years for the oldest of them.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#228222 May 3, 2014
UiDiotRaceMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>That reason grunts are pawns in geopolitical establishments and are insolent ignorant dumb barbarians with no human emotions, unintelligent grunters trained to be killing machines, it fits you kind! BWhAhahaahahaaaa
hi World :) have a nice weekend.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#228223 May 3, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"We"?
Speak for your self.
"BenAdam"s speaks with the ' royal ' we ..

In the same sense , as the Queen of England can pronounce " We are not amused " .

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#228224 May 3, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I am well aware that the people were here at least that long ago.
Not many people know or knew this because it has been fairly recent the finding of concrete evidence of men in North America before the Clovis 10-13,500 ybp.
I was wrong about petroglyphs though some are thought to be nearly as old as the cave art.
Which makes sense, when people discovered art , they would have all started doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topper_%28archae...

Location hidden

#228225 May 3, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
Ravens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pbQ4iL7_oT4XX
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Ravens in the Greater Yellowstone area have mastered every type of trunk closure mechanisms there are on snowmobiles.
Zippers on backpacks? They work in tandem. One holds the pack zipper from one side, and the other grabs the zipper pull tab and unzips it.
Velcro? No problem. They just grab it by a corner or end and peek it back.
90 degree twist locks? They just twist the tab and open the compartment.
Cam type latches? HAH ! They just flip them up and open the container ... or toolbox.

For fun? I have watched them gather on hilltops in the winter for backside sledding parties. They jump up and flip over and slide down the snow covered hill upside down.
Yep. Intelligent creatures to be sure ... the raven.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Chimney1 40,304
A Universe from Nothing? 5 min IB DaMann 28
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min DanFromSmithville 15,793
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 2 hr NightSerf 187
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 hr woodtick57 20,580
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr gin ertz 3,745
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 11 hr emperorjohn 4,627
More from around the web