Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227795 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
The two opposing forces, originated in ancient Persia and was a concept Zoroaster concocted over 5,000 years ago. Ahura Mazda (good or light) and Angra Mainyu (evil or dark).
Before that time, dark and light were thought to be one. As we all have both within us and the theory is to accept every aspect ourselves in order to achieve balance. A concept found in Taoism and Buddhism, both of which are older than Zoroastrianism.
Between the origins and medieval times, when christians recycled the concept, Ancient Greece and the rest of the world embraced the terms, which were given western meaning (language wise) by Socrates, Plato and a few other philosophers. Good and evil.
I can't really think of any aspect of christianity that is even remotely original other than the blatant encouragement of ignorance, yet even that can be found in others.
The bible is the op shop of religions and belief is not required to acquire knowledge of any kind, if anything, it is preventative.
Excellent post.

In Judaism, it is believed that humans have a combination of "good" and "evil" and that both need to be in balance.
Totally "good" and you can't survive, totally "evil" and you won't survive.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227796 Apr 30, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Sure. "Eagle slang."
Right. When you don't know how to spell the word.
After 15 years of grading high school essays, I am now able to translate Linear A.

LOL

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227797 Apr 30, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, which religions have a external personal agent granting grace as the only means of salvation that Christianity copied from?
Smile.
All of them claim to, none of them do.

Your religion is no different than any others of the last 6000 years.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227798 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Zombies, vampires and ghosts were a large part Roman superstition long before Constantine was born.
They still are.
Christians even made a Zombie and a Ghost Gods.

Christians also perform ritual cannibalism and vampirisn.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227799 Apr 30, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Dave cleans his house with strings and magnets, if that doesn't get it clean enough he uses EM pulses.
Does Dave have pith balls ?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#227800 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>You think christianity invented grace?
Because that too, is regurgitated.

Hinduism is over 10,000 years old and that religion also uses the concept of divine grace.

You think your myth is special, it really isn't. It combines concepts, characters and stories from different, older religions. Badly.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#227801 Apr 30, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you my friend for your kind words. It goes to show you Atheist are far more tolerant than what people think. I mean you could have said something disparaging. But instead you showed us that Atheist have a moral disposition in dealing with their fellow man.
This is probably why Madalyn Murray O'Hair was murdered by her fellow co-worker, David Waters. A nice man who also had a moral disposition like yourself. He kindly removed $54,000 from the American Atheist Accounts for his own use.
Then he felt so badly about this fund dispersion by his hands. That he felt the need to show Madalyn, Jon her son, and her granddaughter a good time. So he did them a favor and murdered them. Then chopped them up into small pieces. Kind of strange how Atheist deal with their fellow man, strange indeed.
Haha. Wow, just wow. Your theological blinders are hysterical.

The list of Christians behaving badly is endless. Of course, what would you expect from a blood-obsessed death cult that thinks human sacrifice is love and that follows a Semitic Jewish hippie zombie who used Lazarus as a pawn in a disgusting game of self promotion. This Jesus character could easily have arrived in time to prevent the death of his friend. There would have been no need for Lazarus to have experienced the agony of dying. No reason for his sisters to suffer the grief of losing their brother.

But he didn’t.

Why? Quite simply because he wanted to impress people. He wanted to glorify himself and Yahweh. The suffering and death of Lazarus was useful to furthering their agenda. While this sort of behavior might be expected of a North Korean dictator, it is quite nauseating to see it venerated in a religion.

If you try to apologize for your omnipotent that he was too busy to help Lazarus, well then:

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.“Lord,” he said,“my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.” Jesus said to him,“Shall I come and heal him?” The centurion replied,“Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed… Then Jesus said to the centurion,“Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
Matthew 8:5-8, 13 (NIV)

Suddenly, Magic Man didn't need to be present.

Then there is John 9:1-3, where Big and Little Anus Godette divinely orchestrated this man’s birth defect – blindness – so that Jesus and his sociopathic father could look good by healing him.

How could we expect anything less from Christians.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227802 Apr 30, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 8 vacuum cleaners.
Which I could use more often.
Funny that you and sympatico mentalities proclaiming such a worship of science should make fun of my investigation of THE force that has put you, and your thinking, together.
Magnets and strings are a rational methodology to see how it works. It is a force that arises from the construction of this universe and our existence. This is a force that arises and combines on the atomic scale, not a monolithic thingy that just exists. "Magnets" are results of that. EM induction on the atomic level is the real telling nature that created that force.
Simple minds such as yours, will just guffaw and say "Oh, that is just electricity, haven't you read the books? yuk yuk yuk!!" And think you "know" something.
And then call an electrician to change a fuse.
Play with electromagnets to get a better understanding. Look at the "physics" of how this happens, noy words you read in a book and don't understand what is occurring.
Your "knowledge" is like picking up rocks and dropping them in a bag. You think you have something. Your intelligence is on the same order and worth.
BTW, it was a devout Christian that put that force to work for you, not an atheist scientist.
Agreed. Electromagnetic forces are very important... and well documented. I am using it now to post this. No strings attached.

Location hidden

#227803 Apr 30, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>They still are.
Christians even made a Zombie and a Ghost Gods.

Christians also perform ritual cannibalism and vampirisn.
Yep.

Horror movies are way better than that silly old, changed so many times one loses count, babble book.

Location hidden

#227805 Apr 30, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Haha. Wow, just wow. Your theological blinders are hysterical.

The list of Christians behaving badly is endless. Of course, what would you expect from a blood-obsessed death cult that thinks human sacrifice is love and that follows a Semitic Jewish hippie zombie who used Lazarus as a pawn in a disgusting game of self promotion. This Jesus character could easily have arrived in time to prevent the death of his friend. There would have been no need for Lazarus to have experienced the agony of dying. No reason for his sisters to suffer the grief of losing their brother.

But he didnÂ’t.

Why? Quite simply because he wanted to impress people. He wanted to glorify himself and Yahweh. The suffering and death of Lazarus was useful to furthering their agenda. While this sort of behavior might be expected of a North Korean dictator, it is quite nauseating to see it venerated in a religion.

If you try to apologize for your omnipotent that he was too busy to help Lazarus, well then:

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.“Lord,” he said,“my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.” Jesus said to him,“Shall I come and heal him?” The centurion replied,“Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed… Then Jesus said to the centurion,“Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
Matthew 8:5-8, 13 (NIV)

Suddenly, Magic Man didn't need to be present.

Then there is John 9:1-3, where Big and Little Anus Godette divinely orchestrated this man’s birth defect – blindness – so that Jesus and his sociopathic father could look good by healing him.

How could we expect anything less from Christians.
Exactly. Then they claim to own the concept of grace. Ha!

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227806 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, no idea where people got that fascination from.
"Eat my flesh and drink my blood."
- The jesus, once a walking corpse who moved on to being a ghost people "pray" to and wait for.
Rolls eyes.
Jesus used the bread and wine as a symbolic reminder. Christians, once again, twisted it into a disgusting ritual.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227807 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that too, is regurgitated.
Hinduism is over 10,000 years old and that religion also uses the concept of divine grace.
You think your myth is special, it really isn't. It combines concepts, characters and stories from different, older religions. Badly.
CS Lewis made that unique grace claim. You can't expect Christians to be fact checkers. That's a path to non-theism.

Location hidden

#227808 Apr 30, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent post.

In Judaism, it is believed that humans have a combination of "good" and "evil" and that both need to be in balance.
Totally "good" and you can't survive, totally "evil" and you won't survive.
Yeah, I think Judaism modernised the concept a bit closer to its original meaning than Zoroaster did.

Location hidden

#227809 Apr 30, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>CS Lewis made that unique grace claim. You can't expect Christians to be fact checkers. That's a path to non-theism.
Grrr argh!

I loved Narnia but Mr Lewis came out with some pretty whacky claims sometimes.

True. It's sad really. The concept of being wilfully ignorant.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227810 Apr 30, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 8 vacuum cleaners.
Which I could use more often.
Funny that you and sympatico mentalities proclaiming such a worship of science should make fun of my investigation of THE force that has put you, and your thinking, together.
Magnets and strings are a rational methodology to see how it works. It is a force that arises from the construction of this universe and our existence. This is a force that arises and combines on the atomic scale, not a monolithic thingy that just exists. "Magnets" are results of that. EM induction on the atomic level is the real telling nature that created that force.
Simple minds such as yours, will just guffaw and say "Oh, that is just electricity, haven't you read the books? yuk yuk yuk!!" And think you "know" something.
And then call an electrician to change a fuse.
Play with electromagnets to get a better understanding. Look at the "physics" of how this happens, noy words you read in a book and don't understand what is occurring.
Your "knowledge" is like picking up rocks and dropping them in a bag. You think you have something. Your intelligence is on the same order and worth.
BTW, it was a devout Christian that put that force to work for you, not an atheist scientist.
You still have fuses in your house?

Location hidden

#227811 Apr 30, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Huh? Where are these claimants?

You do realize that the birds mimic the sounds they hear and are not having a conversation with you, right?
He's a bit of a worry that one.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227812 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Grrr argh!
I loved Narnia but Mr Lewis came out with some pretty whacky claims sometimes.
True. It's sad really. The concept of being wilfully ignorant.
It's even worse as they are continually reinventing their myth to keep up with knowledge. The Old Testament illustrates many gods. These gods did many empirical, measurable things, according to the book. Now, we have some vague entity that is outside space and time, rendering modern Christians non-believers in the very god they profess to believe in. Here is a great piece on the subject.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/201...

I invite anChristian to read that and provide a cogent rebuttal to the illustrations the article makes.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227813 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a bit of a worry that one.
Yes, did you see the post where he told my alleged life story based on a few Topix posts? All it did was illustrate his inherent hatred for himself for not measuring up to be the god he invented for himself.

There is quite an assemblage of Christians in this thread. Each one seems to be attempting to outcreep the other.

Location hidden

#227814 Apr 30, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>It's even worse as they are continually reinventing their myth to keep up with knowledge. The Old Testament illustrates many gods. These gods did many empirical, measurable things, according to the book. Now, we have some vague entity that is outside space and time, rendering modern Christians non-believers in the very god they profess to believe in. Here is a great piece on the subject.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/201...

I invite anChristian to read that and provide a cogent rebuttal to the illustrations the article makes.
Cogent? Good luck.

I'll check it out.

My grandma had a very old bible that was um, "acquired" by my grandfather in Germany, during WW2. I read it as a child then avoided comprehensively reading bibles until my late twenties.

What I found out was that much of what I read in my grandma's bible, which was fascinating, was just gone.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#227815 Apr 30, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really want to try to go there, I get the FFRF paper every month that has 2 to 4 pages of the wonderful things Christians do.
While I won't bother to type them all out, I'll certainly pick some of the juicer ones for you.
So...wanna play?
My good fair weather pilot friend. Throw it all in the garbage from which it cane. Your paper is the equivalent of the KKK writing about the good things Jews and African Americans do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr karl44 6,109
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr thetruth 9,344
News Confessions of a black atheist 1 hr TrueLogic 424
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr DebraE 14,612
News The Consequences of Atheism 4 hr JesusWasNOTaJew -... 1,321
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Thinking 2,064
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 hr Denisova 18,697
More from around the web