Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#228058 May 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for explaining my culture to me.
:-)
I fit right it. We yell a lot. It's just the way it works.
There are no Christian values. Told you many times Jesus done died.
I'm quite restrained here, Dave. I worry about upsetting the Christian psyche.
What about medical school?

Or was that a little bitsy tiny lie?

Hmmmmmmm……………

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#228059 May 1, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. But I would think twice before doing that.
I was a star-struck tourist, so it came as a surprise.
I have an infatuation with China. Shanghai is my favorite "major" world city.
But roaming to the rural areas is the best. No communication with language, but total communication as fellow human beings.
56 ethnic groups. You never know what's next, wherever you go.
I just wish they wouldn't spit on the floor....
Shanghai is awesome !!!

Any city where you can go to Pizza Hut and get brown sauce and crustaceans on your pizza would be, yes?

;-)
UidiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#228060 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it was a bad place.
It has been open and closed to religions according the the current powers that are for a long time.
You appear to have missed the significance it was evangelicals, and not military might that established Christianity there. People are hungry for salvation and escape from their fellow man. There is a long history of tyranny by them. Including atheist regimes. China's current rulers don't want to make too many missteps. They still aren't as homogenous as it would like to be believed. Lots of social conflicts waiting to explode. Plus thery have have been killing each other for eons just for cultural and political differences.
Most laws worldwide now are based upon Christian values. Told you many times Jesus done won.
Being a foreigner and as feisty and contrary as you are can get you in some bad situations there. They won't be as prone to buy into your radical views. But I figure you are smart enough to keep a lower profile there than on here.
Where River tam left off! I been studying China, as to LOL! your Christian values is salvation by cleansing by Fire , use blood to cleanse your sins...sound barbaric to me. Way better try Taoism, Confucism,,Buddhism. BAHAHhahahaaaa. Most of missionary sent by the west are spies, and often incited war among Chinese religions, and tried to Imposed a Western religion on Chinese by force... but you failed . You war mongering grunts are lairs, deceptive, power hungry, greedy,,,

====. The Western powers gave their missionaries in China protection on the strength of the consular jurisdiction they enjoyed. Taking advantage of extraterritoriality some Western missionaries, backed by the aggressive imperialist forces, went to inland China to build churches and set up parishes. They forcibly occupied land, and bullied and oppressed Chinese officials and civilians. These missionaries even wilfully extended the extraterritoriality to Chinese converts and interfered in Chinese judicial authority.

-They strengthened the control of the Western powers over China on the pretext of ``religious cases,'' i.e., conflicts and disputes between Chinese people and the Western missionaries who incurred popular indignation by doing evil deeds under the protection of the unequal treaties. In the period between 1840 and 1900, some 400 such cases occurred in China. On the pretext of these religious cases the Western powers imposed military and political pressure on the Chinese government. They put forward various unreasonable demands, compelled the Chinese government to pay indemnities, and arrested and executed innocent people. Moreover, they even launched aggressive wars on such a pretext. In a case in Tianjin in 1870 alone, the Western powers compelled the Qing government to execute 20 people and exile 25. http://chineseculture.about.com/library/china...

Location hidden

#228061 May 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What about medical school?
Or was that a little bitsy tiny lie?
Hmmmmmmm……………
It was, Eagle.

I'm taking pre med classes and I'm doing very well in them. I have to apply to medical schools. It won't be a problem. I scored a 2250 on my SAT and I was high :)

MCAT shouldn't be an issue.

I did work in a morgue for awhile but I wasn't allowed to experiment.

;-p

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#228062 May 2, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, though, if you believe in satan you're silly.
satan, satan, satan,
satan all day long,
satan satan satan,
this is my silly song!
Hey!
The devil made me do it.
:-)

How R U, Hiding?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#228063 May 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Their magic book says the snake lost his legs, not its vocal cords. LOL
Even so, snakes can often move faster than creatures that do have legs.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#228064 May 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So which of the 40,000 different Christian sects is the right one ?
"Only MY church's beliefs are right!" Every Christian on the planet
Feel free to accept whatever some preacher tells you.
I can think for myself.
GFY
..I can't disagree with you ..

But, we do adhere to scripture ( Acts 10:34 ) God is not partial , Muslims ,Animists even Christians go to Heaven .
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#228065 May 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>All evidence points to higher intellectual levels for non-believers. Traits that define higher intellects are reason, logic, and skepticism. Just the fact that Atheism rejects childish and unsupported Theistic claims shows a higher level of intelligence. To suggest that Atheist somehow lack an understanding of humanitarianism is evidence of extreme ignorance and bias.
You have put yourself in a position of claiming Atheist lack any kind of compassion and understanding toward their fellow brothers and sister of the planet. This frames you are having one of the worst traits a human being can possess, that of being willfully ignorant.
I just merely asserted self sacrifice , is a concept beyond your ken ..

you , went all victim hood on me ...Why, am I not surprised .?
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#228066 May 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The Romans kept real good records, they were especially diligent in recording their crucifixions. There are NO records of anyone names Jesus King of the Jews as being crucified, go figure!!!
Not even 'you' actually believes this , the Roman kept track of every execution ..even , in far off back water provinces ..?

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#228067 May 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My first 5 years were spent in South Korea, Dave. Then 1 year in Barbados, 1 year in Columbia, 1 year in the UK, 2 years in the US, 3 years in China, another 1/2 year in the UK, back to China for 1/2 year and since then in the US.
I'm just looking for a home, girl.
Your background makes you a subject of interest to the security apparatus. You could very well be a subversive or spy. You will be well watched and very vulnerable. Pick a place more settled in its politics. Europe would be the place for you.

Location hidden

#228068 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your background makes you a subject of interest to the security apparatus. You could very well be a subversive or spy. You will be well watched and very vulnerable. Pick a place more settled in its politics. Europe would be the place for you.
Which country's?

I'm 20 years old Dave.

I'm just a student trying to get by.

I've noticed that your generation has made it very hard on me. Why did you do that? It couldn't have been my fault. I was born in 93. Did you have a plan that fell through or did you just not care?

La Junta, CO

#228069 May 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which country's?
I'm 20 years old Dave.
I'm just a student trying to get by.
I've noticed that your generation has made it very hard on me. Why did you do that? It couldn't have been my fault. I was born in 93. Did you have a plan that fell through or did you just not care?
You should be rational enough to know that the generation that made it hard on you was a one very long time before mine. Mine actually made it very easy for you.

It is like you are blaming your parents. They have taught you good things but you, like everyone else, gets to swim in the toilet bowl. You are disillusioned.

Scandinavia or similar would be a good choice. Your exoticness and novelty will give you a toehold and a way to carve yourself a home in it more to your liking. You won't be part of the local herd and its problems. You won't be considered a threat to the establishment.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#228070 May 2, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
See how simple you have made this for me? You've concluded that I'm trying to discourage you from your faith, and that is simply untrue. The faith you possess may cause you to believe you're going to experience something different after death than me, but your faith will not alter the outcome of what becomes of you post mortem versus the outcome of what becomes of me post mortem.
The difference between my reality and your reality is simply that yours has an "un" preceding it.
But I do relish sensing your skin crawling..........
you said - "your faith will not alter the outcome of what becomes of you post mortem versus the outcome of what becomes of me post mortem"

i don't agree with your religion and your faith concerning the unknown!

BUT, i do believe when you awake in a "dark tunnel with a bright light at the end" it's because you were living in darkness and you're about to meet your Maker/Judge!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228071 May 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO historically preserved documents regarding Jesus, stop being a nitwit. The FACT is...there are NO contemporary accounts of the life of Jesus outside of the bible.
And NO, stories written about him decades after his death do NOT count as evidence.
The concept of eternal life was conjured up by frightened old men, the same ones who wrote the bible, to escape the horrifying fear you people have of darkness and death. Man up and accept death as a part of life. All things die, planets, suns, solar systems, galaxies, all living things, but you self-centered egotistical Theists believe you are so important that YOU get to live forever. What a weak minded, childish, approach to life. Die like a man, and not like a spoiled child who refuses to go to his room. The entire concept and you, are both PATHETIC !!
it's very odd that you think this way since i just read from the eye-witness biographies of Christ this morning!

WHY AREN'T YOU READING THEM - YOU MUST BE INSANE!!!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228072 May 2, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband and four kids would disagree with you.
i don't acknowledge same-sex marriages and i thinks it's disgusting that they can adopt!

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#228073 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your Jesus was a myth, is that clear enough?
<quoted text>
Once upon a time blacklagoon related a war story to us from his time in Vietnam.
He was in a foxhole of 5 atheists. He claimed they were all atheists.
A grenade landed in it and one of them jumped on it to save his and the other's lives.
He said this was a true story.
Five YOUNG men in war in a foxhole in battle and all hard core atheists. And one sacrifices his life in an instant decision to saved others. Of course it was because of evolution and no religious beliefs that triggered that instant decision according to him.
Where in the Atheist Manual does it preach self sacrifice, giving up the only one you have, to save comrades by chance in a war based on economics, especially since those buddies by chance were also engaged in the effort to kill others?
I am sure the young man grew up with some religious training in his background somewhere that contributed to his split second decision.
Which saved blacklagoon's life.
Which allowed him to play with his sailboat and get on here and ridicule anyone with religious belief.
oy! aye!

Is it possible his story about the 5 atheists in a foxhole is true? maybe--but improbable.

Atheists have a daunting hill to climb and a boulder to push up that hill which is almost unbearable.

I was once fascinated with an atheistic religion Buddhism. So I follow closely the belief that the physical universe people and animals was just happenstance.

Modern science is making that kind of belief a mockery. So really an atheist today to believe in accidental/random/chance philosophy of this universe and human existence is truly religious. Atheism requires >more< faith than religion. Modern Atheism is a religion.

La Junta, CO

#228074 May 2, 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/health/veterans...

Hopefully this will lead to a better system, but I won't hold my breath. Except for a brief period around 2002 where they actually did do a good job, they have always been just a system to make money for the local administrators. Personal fiefdoms. Of liars.

The most incredible thing I saw after 2002 was even though there was a backlog of apointments and shortage of doctors, they made doctors enter data on a slow computer system during the exams. That was considered the most efficient utilization of trained physicians. Pecking in data on standard forms for statistical purposes. A 5 minute exam became a 15 or 20 minute one because of that.

Admin could hire tons of secretaries to ease their workload, but they couldn't supply a doctor's assistant to take notes on the fly and enter data later.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228075 May 2, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
ROCCO said <quoted text>
If you haven't learned anything from the 227,960 posts that precede your above reply, why would any rational human think just one more will be the one that causes you to have an epiphany and see the light? It's very, very easy to see who looks more ridiculous and maintains the least likely explanation.
As a guiding rule, I've learned not to waste much effort on causes that have proven to be hopeless. If I see something along the way that causes me to think you have, miraculously, ceased being a hopeless cause, I shall reconsider.
My hopes for same are not high.
<quoted text>
ROCCO says:
OMG! a real, live, honest-to-goodness fvcking talking parrot!
Why, it can even mimic!
What next, talking snakes and asses?
(PS: Had this been an even minimally intelligent reply by you, AssUp, you would have at least had enough smarts to change the post # to 228,011 rather than just copy and paste the original. Like I said, my hopes were not high, and are now proven to be realistic. Even your mimicry falls flat..........
rochead said "PS: Had this been an even minimally intelligent reply by you, AssUp, you would have at least had enough smarts to change the post # to 228,011..."

LOL! when you're on the side that already won, you can have some fun & not be so desperate about things that don't matter!;-)

Location hidden

#228076 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be rational enough to know that the generation that made it hard on you was a one very long time before mine. Mine actually made it very easy for you.
It is like you are blaming your parents. They have taught you good things but you, like everyone else, gets to swim in the toilet bowl. You are disillusioned.
Scandinavia or similar would be a good choice. Your exoticness and novelty will give you a toehold and a way to carve yourself a home in it more to your liking. You won't be part of the local herd and its problems. You won't be considered a threat to the establishment.
My parents didn't teach me, Dave. They paid other people to do that. Professionals.

My defense Master threw a cup of his urine at me once, well more than once, because he thought my reflexes weren't up to his standards. I was 12 the first time. That gets your attention fairly quickly.

I don't want to be considered a threat. I try to avoid confrontation but I have anger issues so it doesn't always work out. I'm trying to deal with those issues.

How'm I doing so far?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228077 May 2, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
What fallen world?
There you go - living out a fantasy that doesn't exist in our reality.
what fallen world??? get your head out your ass and read today's paper - THAT FALLEN WORLD! good grief....these proud pagans that think they're gods & in control...i tell ya......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min candlesmell 95,402
Atheism saved me 8 hr Elganned 30
The atheists mind 8 hr Elganned 67
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 9 hr Elganned 184
Why creation? Thu Elganned 60
man Jun 18 blacklagoon 3 1
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50