Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258042 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#227965 May 1, 2014
There is an age old wisdom that permeates the consciousness of mankind. You will see it everywhere. In religions, popular culture, philosophy, or you name it where it deals with higher intellectual functions. Of course Topix atheists will deny it exists.

The message is you cut your own path through this life. You develop your own logic base to understand what is going on and where you may be headed.

This applies equally to religion and "science".

People tend to accept words without truly understanding the meaning of them. They learn phrases and repeat them in ignorance which then become icons. See those little icons on your browser? You click and something happens. You don't give a thought to the code and very complicated physical phenomenon kicked into gear.

Topix atheists deny wisdom or truth in religious writings, yet blindly accept the words of those they consider "scientists". Without understanding what the scientists are describing. Just like so many theists do listening to scripture passed on by preachers.

That is why I say play with magnets and strings. You start to understand how those basic forces interact in your own mind and logic. You get past your training by others that way. But you have to get past your laziness of thought. This applies to most things beyond just magnets and strings.

Topix atheist don't have a clue just how sheeplike they are in their thinking.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227966 May 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's Duane?
i think 'benadam's' real name is duane - at least i saw others calling him that

see - we CAN have a civil discussion!:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#227967 May 1, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
Prove it. Go.
No.

Go.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#227968 May 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You made the claim that the Romans kept "very good records of their crucifixions".
The onus is NOT on me to support your claim.
I challenged you. You chickened out.
You lose.
blacklagoon wrote:
You're not smart enough to recognize valid research and would reject anything that conflicts with your beliefs. Plus you're a hypocrite, how many times have you asked non-believers to prove God doesn't exist?
You still lose.
IPSEC

Hurst, TX

#227970 May 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Go.
Yep, your evil cult is a no go. Good job.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#227971 May 1, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Darkness is still the absence of light.
which of course fits the analogy i was proposing regarding spiritual/moral truth vs lies, but gaytheists like duane always hafta autism the point right out of things!
IPSEC

Hurst, TX

#227972 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
To enlarge just a tad on the spotting on a more common scale.
Driving.
You focus on the horizon and you see everything in between. You are cutting a visual path your body follows. Your steering adjusts, you are prepared to make corrections in a gentler manner because of that far vision. You aren't swerving all over the road like that little old lady watching the road just in front of her, or a Topix atheist on the highway of life.
Your body circuits and soul follow the lead set by your vision. That is how you get from here to there.
How does Dave walk through the woods?

He takes the psychopath.

Look, a squirrel!
IPSEC

Hurst, TX

#227973 May 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You made the claim that the Romans kept "very good records of their crucifixions".
You lose.
<quoted text>
You still lose.
Your ex wife told this joke the other day...

What is the difference between divorce and circumcision?

In divorce, you get rid of the whole schmuck.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#227974 May 1, 2014
hpcaban wrote:
To say that atheism requires faith just as religions do is akin to saying that absolute darkness is just another kind of light, or that absolute silence is just another kind of sound or that a bald person has a different kind of hair. This is patently absurd!
Do you think that I need faith in order not to believe unicorns ever existed? I think not.
you need LOTS of faith to buy into a con that's less than 200 years old but requires over 13.74 billion years of evidence to prove!
IPSEC

Hurst, TX

#227975 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is an age old wisdom that permeates the consciousness of mankind. You will see it everywhere. In religions, popular culture, philosophy, or you name it where it deals with higher intellectual functions. Of course Topix atheists will deny it exists.
The message is you cut your own path through this life. You develop your own logic base to understand what is going on and where you may be headed.
This applies equally to religion and "science".
People tend to accept words without truly understanding the meaning of them. They learn phrases and repeat them in ignorance which then become icons. See those little icons on your browser? You click and something happens. You don't give a thought to the code and very complicated physical phenomenon kicked into gear.
Topix atheists deny wisdom or truth in religious writings, yet blindly accept the words of those they consider "scientists". Without understanding what the scientists are describing. Just like so many theists do listening to scripture passed on by preachers.
That is why I say play with magnets and strings. You start to understand how those basic forces interact in your own mind and logic. You get past your training by others that way. But you have to get past your laziness of thought. This applies to most things beyond just magnets and strings.
Topix atheist don't have a clue just how sheeplike they are in their thinking.
Sure, Looney, sure.

A guy dies and goes to heaven. His tour guide starts to show him around the whole place; the tennis courts, the main lobby, when they come upon a room full of clocks. Some are going fast, some slow and some normal.

"What's with all the clocks?" the guy asks his tour guide.

"Each clock is for each person on earth. Every time they tell a lie, their clock goes faster," he said.

Well that makes sense the guy thought to himself. Just then he noticed a clock on the ceiling going tremendously fast, and much faster than all the others. "What's that?" the guy said pointing to the ceiling.

"Oh, that's Dave Nelson's* clock. We use it as a fan."

* Feel free to insert Topix Theist of choice
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#227976 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't believe you! how much does your brain weigh?
Mine weight's 3 pounds, yours most likely weights much less given your penchant for believing that things imagined are real.

And what exactly don't you believe?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#227977 May 1, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should do your own research.
Or don't and continue to make anass "out of yourself on an international public forum".
It really is very helpful.
Neigh.
In other words, you concede your point and your reputation.

Smile.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#227978 May 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You lose.
<quoted text>
You still lose.
Since simple comprehension eludes you, I see little point in presenting something you wouldn't understand.

I and others have challenged you to provide evidence for your God, each and every time you have "chickened" out.

I called you out sometime ago on your argument that the slaves depicted in the bible were really only "servants." You "chickened" out on that also.

There are so many things you either refuse to answer or try desperately to deflect, they're uncountable.

You lose on so many levels its become pathetic!!!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#227979 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Mine weight's 3 pounds, yours most likely weights much less given your penchant for believing that things imagined are real.
And what exactly don't you believe?
you can't include your water-head weight. try again....

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227980 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you need LOTS of faith to buy into a con that's less than 200 years old but requires over 13.74 billion years of evidence to prove!
Your cult is only 60 years old.

GoddamhippyJesusfreaks

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227981 May 1, 2014
The greatest proof of the worthlessness of Christianity is these Christians.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#227982 May 1, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, ITG, sure.
Is there an intelligent man or woman now in the world who believes in the Garden of Eden story?
If you find any man who believes it, strike his forehead and you will hear an echo. Something is for rent.-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Orthodoxy" (1884)
LLL
I have to try that next time Jehovah witless come knocking !
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#227983 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
To enlarge just a tad on the spotting on a more common scale.
Driving.
You focus on the horizon and you see everything in between. You are cutting a visual path your body follows. Your steering adjusts, you are prepared to make corrections in a gentler manner because of that far vision. You aren't swerving all over the road like that little old lady watching the road just in front of her, or a Topix atheist on the highway of life.
Your body circuits and soul follow the lead set by your vision. That is how you get from here to there.
They allow you to play GTA in your padded cell Bucky?
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#227984 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you're missing eternal life due to your willful ignorance and rejection of the historically and miraculously preserved documentation regarding the Messiah! not sure you'll need commas in your future....
are you afraid to debate me?:-)
Only a sucker would fall for the pipe dream of "eternal life".

Let me know how that works out for you after you die. Keep sucking on that phallus-like pipe dream.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#227985 May 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle! Eagle!!! Damnit, I expect more of your cognitive powers. Yes, birds can reproduce some very limited aspects of human language - but talk? You're claiming that birds can engage you with conversation?
Human: "So, where'd you go today?"
Bird "Oh, first I checked out that tree with all the flowers on it, to see if there were any buds. I was - heh, heh - pretty hungry and, yes, though I know that you are depending on the fruit from that tree, I thought I could sneak a few flowerbuds without you knowing. Then I took a fly through your garden, looking for caterpillars to eat. So it all balances out. I eat a few buds, then kill the pests that are preventing your tasty morsels from growing. Now give me a cracker, damn you!"
No, clearly, birds do not 'talk.' They mimic, and sometimes, yes. Sometimes, they even having meaning in their calls - more meaning in bird calls, obviously, then their mimicked human sounds. They absolutely have minds and personalities, but their linguistic prowess is nowhere near the level of a human.
They cannot talk. They can produce one or two words at a time. They don't form grammar - they most certainly don't form grammatically correct sentences that convey meaning. No bird is ever going to read.
The stuff your religion requires you to believe in never ceases to amaze. Do you only draw your boundaries on belief around science and other religions? Is anything your religion teaches you something you cannot believe in?
Yall don't know about Alex? The African Gray Parrot? He was on an Animal Planet special a few years back, but now is dead. Darn it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_ (parrot)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 min IB DaMann 23,565
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min scientia potentia... 48,827
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 22 min IB DaMann 5,713
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Cuddles6778 21,887
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 10 hr Eagle 12 5
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 14 hr Scaritual 78
News In defense of faith 17 hr IB DaMann 7
More from around the web