Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244893 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227477 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>The stupid burns bright in you. Titus was a Roman emperor, not an historian. Josephus was not a contemporary of Jesus and was the son of a monied priest and a mother of royal ancestry. His hagiography was designed to consolidate power. Josephus was an enemy if the state until he turned traitor to his own people. Josephus aligned himself politically with Vespasian and predicted Vespasian's rise to power. This gave him credibility among the superstitious.
Jesus is only mentioned twice in The Antiquities of the Jews and it is now recognized that the Testemonium Flavium is not authentic and was further subject to forgery and interpretation by such clowns as Eusebius, the polemicist that lived in the 4th Century.
Eusebius' quote?
""That it will be necessary sometimes to use falsehood as a remedy for the benefit of those who require such a mode of treatment."
You've been scammed, Yosemite Sam. That you hang your hat on such nonsense points to your credulity and intellectual vapidity.
Christianity has been a religion of "pious fraud" (AKA blatant lying and perjury) ever since Paul claimed Jesus made him the Greatest Apostle.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#227478 Apr 28, 2014
This is wonderful satire. Can you guess whom this anthropologist is describing?

http://web.archive.org/web/20061004083040/htt...

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227479 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Holy Shiite, the stupid bar just went subterranean.
RR makes Down's Syndrome look like a blessing.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227480 Apr 28, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sport, you are the one needing the spaceship to keep you insulated from the Greater Reality. This is all YOU have.
You have no concept of just how big existence is and how insignificant you and your babblings are.
In Sunday school, Sister Mary asked the class: "What part of the body goes to Heaven first?"

In the back of the class, Kimare waved his hand frantically, but Sister Mary, suspecting a wrong answer, turned to another child. "Yes, Susan?"

"The heart goes to heaven first because that's where God's love lives."

"Excellent," said Sister Mary, "and you, Charlotte?"

"The soul, Sister Mary, because that's the part that lives beyond death."

"Very good, Charlotte," said the Sister, as she noticed Kimare's hand still waving in desperation."

"OK, Kimare, what do you think?"

"It's the feet that go first, Sister, the feet."

"That's a strange answer, Kimare. Why the feet?"

Kimare answered, "Because I saw my mom with her feet up in the air, shouting,'God, I'm coming, I'm coming!'"

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227481 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
Someone please explain to me how the pious never display their piety, how the alleged followers of the Christ are never Christ-like, and how those who claim to be Bible-worshipping Christians never follow the guidance of the Bible.
Jesus: How you treat the least of these is how you treat me.
Paul: Those who don't work don't eat.
Dichotomy lobotomy, that Jesus guy was a welfare queen! Paul is where it's at. He's let his cattle graze illegally on Federal land while calling others takers.
Paul is a POS. Any religion that considers his word to be that of God is a POS as well.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227482 Apr 28, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sport, you are the one needing the spaceship to keep you insulated from the Greater Reality. This is all YOU have.
You have no concept of just how big existence is and how insignificant you and your babblings are.
By the way, I am giddy with excitement that I am your favorite. Anything to keep you off the streets and away from the general public, after all.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227483 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>You still have nothing but monkey-poo flinging in your wheelhouse. Don't you have a spaceship to build. Dammit, man you're wasting precious time. Xenu awaits the arrival of your disciples!
Thank you for proving that a cuckoo clock isn't right even twice a day.
Dave has random time generator. He made it with magnets and duct tape.
He is "The McGuiver to the Lord".

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227484 Apr 28, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of them haven't read the bible.
They find it easier to make up shit or repeat the shit preachers say than read and think for themselves.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#227485 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I have a dream last night? If I did it is only real to me and not to anyone else.
I see.
So then you DO admit that a "real" thing can be "proven" to exist by proxy observations (monitoring brain waves) and not direct "empirical" observation. Dark matter was "proven" to exist in a similar fashion.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227486 Apr 28, 2014
Historian Augusta

Egypt, which you commended to me, my dearest Servianus, I have found to be wholly fickle and inconsistent, and continually wafted about by every breath of fame. The worshipers of Serapis are called Christians (Chrestians), and those who are devoted to the god Serapis, call themselves Bishops of Christ (Chrestus) are, in fact, devotees of Serapis. There is no chief of the Jewish synagogue, no Samaritan, no Christian (Chrestian) presbyter, who is not an astrologer, a soothsayer, or an anointer. Even the Patriarch himself, when he comes to Egypt, is forced by some to worship Serapis, by others to worship Christ (Chrestus). They are a folk most seditious, most deceitful, most given to injury; but their city is prosperous, rich, and fruitful, and in it no one is idle.

Oh, and speaking of Josephus:

Beyond the bible, the historian Josephus supplies some insights. Writing toward the end of the first century, himself an eye-witness of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D, he tells us that the region was filled with "cheats and deceivers claiming divine inspiration" (Jewish War, 2.259-60; Jewish Antiquities, 20.167), entrancing the masses and leading them like sheep, usually to their doom. The most successful of these "tricksters" appears to be "the Egyptian" who led a flock of 30,000 believers around Palestine (Jewish War, 2.261-2; Paul is mistaken for him by a Roman officer in Acts 21:38). This fellow even claimed he could topple the walls of Jerusalem with a single word (Jewish Antiquities, 20.170), yet it took a massacre at the hands of Roman troops to finally instill doubt in his followers.

And what of Philo-Judaeus?

Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ's alleged miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ alleged made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the alleged crucifixion with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place——when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven. These marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not.

- The Christ, Chapter 2

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/rmsbrg02....

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227487 Apr 28, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
oh sure, i click on all the links from anticristers - thanks!;-)

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227488 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave has random time generator. He made it with magnets and duct tape.
He is "The McGuiver to the Lord".
As long as he is kept out of the genpop.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227489 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I am befuddled by a religion that claims truth yet can't be honest enough to say "We don't know.".
But, but, but Goddidit.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227490 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. I base that 'belief' mostly on Leviticus and Mark. It is my 'belief' and I don't need to force it on anyone else. Another reason I do not call myself a "Christian".
Religion is a virus.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#227491 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked you to questions and you "answered" me with two more questions.
O.o
That is correct. Your reply was open and incomplete, so to help clarify what you mean, I asked you questions to help you find what the term really means.
Again. Are there "sentient" plants? I mean based on your loose definition as "sense" and "feeling" and "responding to".

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227492 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are these "real good records"?
You claim they exist, post them. Show us how "real good records" of crucifixion from the Roman Empire.
Go.
For a start, the crucifiction of 6,000 slaves following the slave revolt led by Sparticus circa 100 BC.- Plutarch, Appian and Florus (Contemporary Roman Historians)

All the way up to Nero lining the streets of Rome with crucified Christians circa 60 AD. Tacitus (an eye witness)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227493 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's 13.74 billion years.
And there is certifiable evidence from multiple independent sources.
There is no debate. Only refinement.
You have no dog in this fight.
oh i missed the .74 - sorry! LMAO!!!

you've seen, touched and handled this 'proof' yourself, i'm sure!

i'm only letting a few 'choice' individuals in on this deal, but i have some really good investiment strategies i'd like to talk to you about and i'm only requiring 10K up-front!;-)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227494 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for calling me your intellectual superior, as I never made that claim.
He was using fairy stories as a noun. As an adjective or modifier, it would be a hyphenated modifier. You usually get those wrong, so I'm not surprised, oh great teacher of phantasmagorical "wisdom".
The best part about you, the most entertaining, is when you hoist on your own petard. You always ask for proof of hands. I imagine that your feet must be missing for how many times you have shot yourself in them. Stay consistent. I love a good laugh. At your expense.
RR does to language what DaveNelson does to science.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227495 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
Historian Augusta
Egypt, which you commended to me, my dearest Servianus, I have found to be wholly fickle and inconsistent, and continually wafted about by every breath of fame. The worshipers of Serapis are called Christians (Chrestians), and those who are devoted to the god Serapis, call themselves Bishops of Christ (Chrestus) are, in fact, devotees of Serapis. There is no chief of the Jewish synagogue, no Samaritan, no Christian (Chrestian) presbyter, who is not an astrologer, a soothsayer, or an anointer. Even the Patriarch himself, when he comes to Egypt, is forced by some to worship Serapis, by others to worship Christ (Chrestus). They are a folk most seditious, most deceitful, most given to injury; but their city is prosperous, rich, and fruitful, and in it no one is idle.
Oh, and speaking of Josephus:
Beyond the bible, the historian Josephus supplies some insights. Writing toward the end of the first century, himself an eye-witness of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D, he tells us that the region was filled with "cheats and deceivers claiming divine inspiration" (Jewish War, 2.259-60; Jewish Antiquities, 20.167), entrancing the masses and leading them like sheep, usually to their doom. The most successful of these "tricksters" appears to be "the Egyptian" who led a flock of 30,000 believers around Palestine (Jewish War, 2.261-2; Paul is mistaken for him by a Roman officer in Acts 21:38). This fellow even claimed he could topple the walls of Jerusalem with a single word (Jewish Antiquities, 20.170), yet it took a massacre at the hands of Roman troops to finally instill doubt in his followers.
And what of Philo-Judaeus?
Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ's alleged miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ alleged made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the alleged crucifixion with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness and resurrection of the dead took place——when Christ himself rose from the dead and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven. These marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not.
- The Christ, Chapter 2
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/rmsbrg02....
Note that Josephus never mentions Paul or the existence of a Roman Catholic Church in Rome. By their own arguments, Paul nor a unified church existed, thus the whole of Christianity is built on a massive lie.

Dumbazz Christers hoisted by their own petard.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227496 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is a virus.
I agree. I have no problem with people having spiritual beliefs.Sadly, that has little to do with religions. Religion is simply the oldest con game on the planet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 min thetruth 10,784
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 24 min thetruth 42
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min thetruth 20,593
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineW 14,659
John 3:16 3 hr Shizle 70
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 4 hr Shizle 20
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 15 hr Shizle 17
More from around the web