Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#227598 Apr 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent. Nothing beats the high life.
But tell us, how many times did you hit your wife?
And how many lies did you tell?
Hey, it's easy to get a passport, although you don't need it to enter L.A. County.
You're not invited though.
Stay in the hot dusty desert.
And say hi to your racist buddy Don Sterling should he decide to slum over your way.
Nice dodge, though.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227599 Apr 28, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll second that.
"Only real men sexually harass women on forums." - ar ar
He's a real man, a real dumb man.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#227600 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Aug. 5, 2012. The virulent, neocon-fueled Islamophobia that has plagued post-9/11 America has not only posed a threat to Muslims, it has had deadly consequences for people of other faiths, including Sikhs. Sikhs are not Muslims; the traditional Sikh attire, including their turbans, is different from traditional Sunni, Shiite or Sufi attire. But to a racist, a bearded Sikh looks like a Muslim. Only four days after 9/11, Balbir Singh Sodhi, a Sikh immigrant from India who owned a gas station in Mesa, Arizona, was murdered by Frank Silva Roque, a Christian who obviously mistook him for a Muslim.
But Sodhi’s murder was not the last example of anti-Sikh violence in post-9/11 America. On Aug. 5, 2012, Christian Wade Michael Page used a semiautomatic weapon to murder six people during an attack on a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.
On July 27, 2008, Christian Right sympathizer Jim David Adkisson walked into the Knoxville Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee during a children’s play and began shooting people at random. Two were killed, while seven others were injured but survived. Adkisson said he was motivated by a hatred of liberals, Democrats and gays, and he considered neocon Bernard Goldberg’s book, 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America, his political manifesto. Adkisson (who pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder and is now serving life in prison without parole) was vehemently anti-abortion, but apparently committing an act of terrorism during a children’s play was good ol’ Republican family values. While Adkisson’s act of terrorism was reported on Fox News, it didn’t get the round-the-clock coverage an act of Islamic terrorism would have garnered.
Army of God disciple Eric Rudolph is best known for carrying out the Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta during the 1996 Summer Olympics—a blast that killed spectator Alice Hawthorne and wounded 111 others. Hawthorne wasn’t the only person Rudolph murdered: his bombing of an abortion clinic in Birmingham, Alabama in 1998 caused the death of Robert Sanderson (a Birmingham police officer and part-time security guard) and caused nurse Emily Lyons to lose an eye.
Rudolph’s other acts of Christian terrorism include bombing the Otherwise Lounge (a lesbian bar in Atlanta) in 1997 and an abortion clinic in an Atlanta suburb in 1997. Rudolph was no lone wolf: he was part of a terrorist movement that encouraged his violence. And the Army of God continues to exalt Rudolph as a brave Christian who is doing God’s work.
Yep, those damn non-beliebers and their rage and violence.
Shocking stuff!

I really feel for the Sikh people. They're quite peaceful, I used to live near a Sikh temple.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227601 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't count how many times I had her? Dude, I sent you the video. I know you loved that part where she was on her hands and knees saying "Spank me, daddy, spank me. Oh yeah, I've been a bad girl".
I know you saw it, and I know that you wished you were the one doing the hitting....
Hey, you know what's ironic about Donald Sterling? He doesn't want his girlfriend hanging out with blacks, posting anything on Instagram with blacks or even bringing blacks to the basketball games. The funny thing is, his girlfriend is half black..... WTH?
Because racists are morons and Christians are sexually sick. You have just proven both.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227602 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Stars are made out of eyes" -DipStirgeon
I am too dimwitted to understand sarcasm.- RR
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227603 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they are answers. You disagree with them but they are still answers.
Where I come from, even no answer, is still an answer.
Grow up. Expand your horizons.
He was right, Goddidit is not an answer, it only deepens the non-answer. Saying Goddidit presents more questions than it answers since God is a non-existent entity. Saying a non-existent entity did anything is a logical impossibility.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#227604 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
RR thinks carbon in charcoal is different than the magical carbon in living things.
RR never got a real education, just children's stories that he thinks are real.
Whatever you do, don't tell him Santa isn't real.
Then he would probably think that carbon emissions are a diamond ring.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227605 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Where are these "real good records"?
You claim they exist, post them. Show us how "real good records" of crucifixion from the Roman Empire.
Go.
<quoted text>
You made the claim that the Romans kept "very good records of their crucifixions".
The onus is NOT on me to support your claim.
I challenged you. You chickened out.
You lose.
You're not smart enough to recognize valid research and would reject anything that conflicts with your beliefs. Plus you're a hypocrite, how many times have you asked non-believers to prove God doesn't exist?

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#227606 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I always wonder if these clowns are just socks of one demented individual.
They all says the same stupid stuff over and over and over.
LOLOL!
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#227607 Apr 28, 2014
Ineffable13 wrote:
King James VI (6th), born 06/19/1566, authorized bible that has 66 books. God sent the Holy Ghost. Jesus Christ came and fulfilled the law, and the prophets. Now we have the laws of God inside of us. If we have the law of God in us then we don't need them in a book. Going back and quoting the prophecies and going back to the law that Jesus fulfilled is the same as making Jesus worthless.
You'll be confused your whole life unless these two things sink in: 1.) The bible was never meant to be compiled. Its not Gods Word, He didn't have anything to do with the hype surrounding it. Its not the "basic instructions before leavng earth" 2.) Almost everything in the bible is true but everything but a few chapters at the end of Revelation has been fullfilled since 70 a.d. at the destruction of the temple. Which means the whole bible is Old Testament/Covenant.
We've proven the bible is the mark of the beast. Laying all that aside for a moment, even if it wasn't, the way it is being used would still damn you. The moment you believe its the word of God and that you are bound and obligated to it you are forced to trust in your own ability to obey what you read and not Christ. It brings you down into the flesh and kills you spiritually. Faith in Christ alone is what saves.
We honor the scriptures for what they are, it is those that call the bible something it isn't that dishonor them.
THE BIBLE IS THE MARK OF THE BEAST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nyVUkjrUH-cXX
You've been brainwashed get help

www.evilbible.com
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227608 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
How many dimensions exist in this realm you occupy? Do you occupy them all sir? Is the list complete or are certain scientists working feverishly in figuring out how to "discover" more dimensions?
Do all the dimensions occupy or exist in the same time/space?
4 exists in this reality, and yes I occupy all of them same as you. Quantum physics may open up as many a 10 dimensions, but AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME there are only 4.

Thats how science works, and thats why the word theory is used, any discovery is subject to change or modification as new information is discovered. A working theory is the best explanation at this moment in time.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227609 Apr 28, 2014
I just watched a show called Vice on HBO. One segment was about Colorado and pot, which estimates that this year $2 billion dollars that would have gone to the Mexican drug cartels will stay in Colorado and be taxed at something like 20%. It's free market capitalism and it will be coming to a state near you.

The more interesting segment was on defectors from North to South Korea and the struggles they have. Most are sponsored by a church with a very brave minister (well, not brave enough to flex his Christian muscles on Topix every day. That is the ultimate form of bravery.) who helps them defect. He was asked how the North Koreans were embracing membership in his church.

He explained it this way: the North Koreans already have a religion. The only difference is the subject. Kim Il Sung is God. Kim Jong Il is Jesus. Their Bible is their party doctrine.

These are the words of the South Korean Christian minister. Her recognizes that Communist leaders become the religious figureheads of their societies that are, therefore, no less religious than any nation full of a Christians. The only difference is the tangibility of the god.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#227610 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>"Good quality frozen pizza"? Hahahahahahahaha. Made with the finest chemicals from factories in New Jersey. You're a nitwit in all aspects of your life. Check.
You added olives twice?
http://youtu.be/u5AZhjhbxf8

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#227611 Apr 28, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Shocking stuff!
I really feel for the Sikh people. They're quite peaceful, I used to live near a Sikh temple.
Unlike Christians, Sikhs are required to leave peaceful lives. One who ran a bodega near where I used to live wore a button that explained I am a Sikh not a Muslim after 9-11.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227612 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You preface your bold claim with "at this point in time", and "For this moment in time", and then conclude that NOTHING else exists.
ROTFLMAO
Yep according to you, my keyboard does not exist because you can not see it.
Don't be a dope, I know you have a keyboard because you're posting using a keyboard. As you pointed out, it is not necessary to physically see something to know it exists. Experience, observation, reason and logic all come into play.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227613 Apr 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence would that be that supports" higher intellectual levels for non-believers."

A new review of 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.

A piece of University of Rochester analysis, led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 studies.

According to the study entitled,'The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations', published in the 'Personality and Social Psychology Review', even during early years the more intelligent a child is the more likely it would be to turn away from religion.

In old age above average intelligence people are less likely to believe, the researchers also found.

One of the studies used in Zuckerman's paper was a life-long analysis of the beliefs of 1,500 gifted children with with IQs over 135.

The study began in 1921 and continues today. Even in extreme old age the subjects had much lower levels of religious belief than the average population.

The review, which is the first systematic meta-analysis of the 63 studies conducted in between 1928 and 2012, showed that of the 63 studies, 53 showed a negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity, while 10 showed a positive one.

Only two studies showed significant positive correlations and significant negative correlations were seen in a total of 35 studies.

The authors of the review looked at each study independently, taking into account the quality of data collection, the size of the sample and the analysis methods used.

The three psychologists carrying out the review defined intelligence as the “ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience”.

Religiosity is defined by the psychologists as involvement in some (or all) facets of religion.

According to the review, other factors - such as gender or education - did not make any difference to the correlation between intelligence and religious belief.

The level of belief, or otherwise, did however vary dependent upon age with the correlation found to be weakest among the pre-college population.

The paper concludes that: "Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme —the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better'."

Criticisms of the conclusions include that the paper only deals with a definition of analytic intelligence and fails to consider newly identified forms of creative and emotional intelligence.

The psychologists who carried out the review also sought to pre-empt the secularist interpretation of the findings by suggesting that more intelligent people are less likely to have religious beliefs as they associate themselves with ideas around personal control.

"Intelligent people typically spend more time in school - a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits," the researchers wrote.

"More intelligent people get higher level jobs (and better employment (and higher salary) may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs."

You're welcome!!

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227614 Apr 28, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Then he would probably think that carbon emissions are a diamond ring.
Well, he does think his shit doesn't stink. LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227615 Apr 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I love to kick at the darkness until it bleeds light.
Or sink the knife of reality to the hilt into the belly of denial and twist it with a smirk.
You alternate between squealing like a stuck pig troll, or running like a punk sissy.
I'm in your head.
Smile.
OK. You are a proven violent sociopath.

But, we already knew that.

You are a rabid Christian terrorist.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227616 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's like saying "the first president of United States" doesn't mention George Washington.
No one's listening to you...
WTF ?

I see you are you still experimenting with illegal drugs.

At least it will give your liver a break from the alcohol poisoning.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227617 Apr 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent. Nothing beats the high life.
But tell us, how many times did you hit your wife?
And how many lies did you tell?
Hey, it's easy to get a passport, although you don't need it to enter L.A. County.
You're not invited though.
Stay in the hot dusty desert.
And say hi to your racist buddy Don Sterling should he decide to slum over your way.
I hope a baby didn't embarrass him while eating. You know how he gets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Dogen 83,182
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 hr Science 2,576
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web