Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227536 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
number four wrote:
<quoted text> ....My Dad ,can beat-up your Dad ...!
<quoted text>
Interesting.
"Easy" you say?
Hardly.
It is impossible.
No. If he can beat a dead horse, he can beat up my dead father. Ashes don't put up much of a fight.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227537 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans can look to the stars, study the stars, someday maybe even travel to the stars, hell some people even worship the stars.
Can the stars look at humans?
I see you have changed your stance on illegal drugs.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227538 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>They both obfuscate so much that even they realize their arguments are invalid.
I think they are too stupid to realize how stupid they are.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227539 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Because Tacitus was unreliable. Clement of Alexandria, at the beginning of the third century, made a compilation of all the recognitions of Christ and Christianity that had been made by Pagan writers up to his time. The writings of Tacitus furnished no recognition of them. The ecclesiastical historian Eusebius, in the fourth century, cites all the evidences of Christianity obtainable from Jewish and Pagan sources, but makes no mention of Tacitus. Tacitus was not quoted by any Christian author until the 15th Century. The only copy of Annals is from 600 years after Tacitus died. The story, in nearly the same words without any mention of a Christ, is found in the writings of Sulpicius Severus, a Christian of the fifth century.
Oh well.
Tacitus doesn't mention Jesus at all. He mentions Christians who he says are named after their leader 'Christus' who was crucified by Pilate.
Tacitus is just one of many early sources that demonstrate the existence of a "crucified Jew" as the focal point of a religious movement in Rome. They do not demonstrate anything at all about the divinity of Jesus nor the validity of a single religious claim.

We can assume that George Washington existed, that can never prove he was God, that he "slept here" or even that he ever chopped down a cherry tree.

If we had 100% proof that Jesus existed and was crucified by Pilate, it would do nothing to validate a single religious claim about him.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#227540 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. In the Oxford dictionary, from the UK, ahem, fairytale and fairy-tale are acceptable. In the US, according to Webster, it is a hyphenated modifier and written as fairy-tale.
You have never owned a passport. How can you possibly disparage a place you have never been. The UK is wonderful.
"Only MY dialect of English is the correct one." - RR

Note that RR invents his own 'daffynitions' then complains about spelling conventions and typos.

"Kill and disown are the same thing." - RR defending his Bible-God commanding the killing of disobedient sons.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227541 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you're missing.
And you're stupid enough to think I'm the one in the dark.
You're a pathetic fool.
oh yeah, you got lots of hope from sci-fi comic books telling you of your random-chance beginning and soon to be eternal exctinction! where do i sign up to join your very optimisitc sci-fi cult of survival-of-fittest & reptilian mentality?:-)

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#227542 Apr 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>oh yeah, you got lots of hope from sci-fi comic books telling you of your random-chance beginning and soon to be eternal exctinction! where do i sign up to join your very optimisitc sci-fi cult of survival-of-fittest & reptilian mentality?:-)
You're not qualified for membership.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227543 Apr 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>My, my aren't you a seething ball of judgmental hate, speculating about someone you don't know. Christians are creepy.
Your comments are like a boiling pot of contempt. Bubbling, boiling, brewing, then overflowing, sizzling the sides as the fire underneath continues to overcook. The “seething ball of judgmental hate,” describes the interior of your innermost thoughts.
You Sir, are the face of Atheism, and your compassionate revulsion has driven your thoughts to the surface for all to see. Thank You,[tipping hat].
Your comments are like a boiling pot of contempt. Bubbling, boiling, brewing, then overflowing, sizzling the sides as the fire underneath continues to overcook. The “seething ball of judgmental hate,” describes the interior of your innermost thoughts.
You Sir, are the face of Atheism, and your compassionate revulsion has driven your thoughts to the surface for all to see. Thank You,[tipping hat].
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227544 Apr 28, 2014
I said it twice so you could get it once.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227545 Apr 28, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...So , If only someone would give "No Shiite" a hug ...his, black little heart might start beating again ..?
He is like so many of our resident topix Atheist.

They’re like the deranged man at Geneserat in the New Testament.

Luke 8 26-39

Beyond the help of mankind and only God can set free.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227546 Apr 28, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a medical student but thanks !!!
I worked in a morgue. I'm well versed on death.
How's your soul doing? Getting enough exercise?
Oh cool, I didn’t know you were a medical student.

Actually I have been exercising since the weather has improved from the winter. I work out with weights here at the house and in the evenings I go for a nice walk.

When I finished High School I contemplated going to Mortuary School. But my life went into a different direction.

Did you just recently start medical school?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227547 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>All evidence points to higher intellectual levels for non-believers. Traits that define higher intellects are reason, logic, and skepticism. Just the fact that Atheism rejects childish and unsupported Theistic claims shows a higher level of intelligence. To suggest that Atheist somehow lack an understanding of humanitarianism is evidence of extreme ignorance and bias.
You have put yourself in a position of claiming Atheist lack any kind of compassion and understanding toward their fellow brothers and sister of the planet. This frames you are having one of the worst traits a human being can possess, that of being willfully ignorant.
What evidence would that be that supports" higher intellectual levels for non-believers."

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227548 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not qualified for membership.
NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!:-)

put your thinking cap on for a min:

do you really want to belong to a weird cult that judges each other by the size of your head and by an ambiguous IQ rating system?!

stick with just being a trekkie since they're much less harmless and probably have better social lives.....

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#227549 Apr 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kepler-62f is located about 1200 light-years (370 parsecs) from Earth in the constellation of Lyra. Wiki.
That’s hardly 5 light years away. You missed it by 1195 light years.
My bad. For some reason I heard "5" - I probably mixed it with something else.

Thanks for the correction.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientist are actively looking for new planets. The have found some that perhaps could sustain life. That is a fact.
Correct.

Unproven, but correct in the statement.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another fact is the bible “references” a new earth in Revelation 21:1. The reference is a fact. I know you don’t believe the Bible. But the fact remains the “reference” is listed there.
The Bible is not all factual.

Rev 21: is nothing but a man's vision written down.

Do you believe Edgar Casey's visions? Nostradamus?

....but you will beleive "Paul", "John" and other unproven individuals.

Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His" inspiration and which are not.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is absurd is your denial of these facts previously listed.
Not absurd. I use logic, historical facts, and apply reason to my conclusions.

You've yet to prove a vision is a fact. Will you do this, or just skate on by and disregard my request?

Honesty Eagle - that is all I ever ask of others. I am to you, you should be to me.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad weather is on the way my friend. Try to stay dry and out of harms way.
"Bad weather"? Is this a metaphor or an actual meteoroligist report of the storm that is currently moving across the Mid-West and killing people unsuspectingly?

Did you "God" do this?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#227550 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an avid gardener Einstein. Plants do in fact respond to stimuli, or as you put it "sense impressions".
Ability to feel? Try researching if carrots really do scream when you pull them from their beds.
The root ends of plants actually FEEL their way around underground objects like rocks. Their growing tips actually contain and retain the ability to move up and down and from side to side in order to find a way to the nutrients they seek. If they find adequate nutrients just below ground level, they stop searching for food unless the source dries up. Then the roots begin searching again.
What do you suppose those vine plants are doing when they send out their "feelers" to secure the stalk to a trellis? Plants are trainable Einstein. I train the melons every year to climb the trellis. Within a matter of a couple minutes, I can prove to you that the plant actually felt it when it touched the wire and begins to physically wrap itself around the wire.
Again, are plants sentient sir?
*siiiiiigh...*

No.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227551 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. In the Oxford dictionary, from the UK, ahem, fairytale and fairy-tale are acceptable. In the US, according to Webster, it is a hyphenated modifier and written as fairy-tale.
You have never owned a passport. How can you possibly disparage a place you have never been. The UK is wonderful.
I've never owned a passport?

Oh.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227552 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, that's not plagiarism, silly. This is just an insignificant forum, a game. You can believe whatever you want.
I knew that before you told me.

I don't believe you or the site you plagiarized from.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227553 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, that's not plagiarism, silly. This is just an insignificant forum, a game. You can believe whatever you want.
OOPS.

Before you get all anal on me:

I don't believe you or from which site you plagiarized.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227554 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong and you know it, you fukinliar.
I believe Jesus existed.
I just don't believe all the lies your religion made up about him 300 years after he was crucified.
M'kay pumpkin.

Luv u
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227555 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
So then you DO admit that a "real" thing can be "proven" to exist by proxy observations (monitoring brain waves) and not direct "empirical" observation. Dark matter was "proven" to exist in a similar fashion.
Empirical means verifiable by observation. As long as we are talking about events and things in the naturalistic realm, observations are one way of providing evidence. Black holes were proven to exist by the effects they had within the naturalistic realm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 4 hr Science 2,572
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Science 83,147
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web