Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256128 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#227011 Apr 25, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So...what do you hunt?
There's a really big hint in the avatar photo.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#227012 Apr 25, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Your deity, Satan, doesn't exist. It's just a metaphor to help the uneducated think about reality.
Sorry if that upsets you.
Your opinion doesn't upset me, no.

Satan absolutely exists. He's out there right now, influencing somebody.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227013 Apr 25, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't actually force me to smoke a cigarette just by tying me down. You'd have to include beer, a balcony and, if you don't mind, I'd prefer a cigarello. Maybe a bit of dark, sugary rum.
Ah shit, at this point I think the causation is myself.
HA HA!

Touché, young lass. Touché.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#227014 Apr 25, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the sort of quibbling over words that result in confusion as described in the Tower of Babel.
An influence becomes a cause when something submits to it.
It is all about distribution of forces. Maintaining integrity of collections of them. From grass shacks protecting against the breeze to social systems protecting its organization. In the latter expectations are imposed on the individual components to maintain its integrity.
Hey look, Redneck.

Dave says that "an influence becomes a cause when something submits to it."

Do you agree with Dave?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#227015 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer the question, stop deflecting.
You smoked the cigarette yourself, you fell to peer pressure.
Who's at fault for you voluntarily smoking that cigarette.?
What does "fault" have to do with it?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#227016 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion doesn't upset me, no.
Satan absolutely exists. He's out there right now, influencing somebody.
Your beliefs don't upset me. I don't count you as those who try to violently force them upon me. I only argue against you because I worry about you - satan is too silly for you. You're an adult.

But whatever. If believing in satan makes you happy, enjoy.

Anyways, have you read Durkheim? This is from 102 years ago. It's important not for his claims to science, but for his call to study religion. This argument is the basis for all studies of religion - all religions are equal. In fact, his discussions on society are still echoed in contemporary social science.

He's a bit incorrect - he claims that all religions are attempts to bring harmony to humans, and that all ritual, regardless of form, serves that purpose. I don't think so. But, anyways, this is one of the great scholarly works that wrests humanity from the talons of religious ignorance. The others include 'Systema Naturae,''On the Origin of Species,' and 'Introduction to Psychoanalysis' and works by Copernicus, Galileo and Einstein.

http://crasseux.com/books/Emile_Durkheim_-_Th...
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#227017 Apr 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Read “Revelations 21,” chapter.
Read it slow, you got to sip it in like expensive wine.
Here here, to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Well, I read it.
Verse 8 destroyed any chance of my admittance. Bummer.
What you fail to realize is that infantile rambling like this is what initially drove us away from religious belief. This is not going to bring us back to the flock...
Sip it like expensive wine?
Any fool who accepts this without question is probably knocking back a bottle of Boone's Farm in a brown paper bag while sitting on the curb...

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#227018 Apr 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a really big hint in the avatar photo.
I apologize, good sir, I cannot tell if that's caribou or wapiti.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227019 Apr 25, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your beliefs don't upset me. I don't count you as those who try to violently force them upon me. I only argue against you because I worry about you - satan is too silly for you. You're an adult.
But whatever. If believing in satan makes you happy, enjoy.
Anyways, have you read Durkheim? This is from 102 years ago. It's important not for his claims to science, but for his call to study religion. This argument is the basis for all studies of religion - all religions are equal. In fact, his discussions on society are still echoed in contemporary social science.
He's a bit incorrect - he claims that all religions are attempts to bring harmony to humans, and that all ritual, regardless of form, serves that purpose. I don't think so. But, anyways, this is one of the great scholarly works that wrests humanity from the talons of religious ignorance. The others include 'Systema Naturae,''On the Origin of Species,' and 'Introduction to Psychoanalysis' and works by Copernicus, Galileo and Einstein.
http://crasseux.com/books/Emile_Durkheim_-_Th...
You know, it's quite rude to tell a rational adult that their beliefs are "too silly". I hope you don't expect much of a response after a disparaging remark like that.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#227020 Apr 25, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"that the "Faith" of it's members had vanished."
Incorrect. That for sale sign only means that one particular church building is no longer a "church", and that is ALL it means.
One would need to know each and every person that was a member before the for sale sign was erected, in order to make the claim you just did.
Like I said, most folks who leave one church for whatever reason, usually find another one that "feels" better to them.
You make judgments and conclusions based on facts not in evidence. The ONLY fact you have in evidence is a simple for sale sign.
Grow up and face reality.
I celebrate and praise god when I see closed abortion clinics.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227021 Apr 25, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey look, Redneck.
Dave says that "an influence becomes a cause when something submits to it."
Do you agree with Dave?
Nope.

An influence is never a cause. An influence can have an effect on your character, personality, development or behavior but it is never the cause of your behavior.

This is why I ignore excuses like 'daddy issues','indoctrination' or 'I was raised that way".

Everyone is responsible for their own actions and everyone causes their own actions.

Except for the retards, the poor bastards...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227022 Apr 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
River of life? That's kinda rubbing it in to a bunch of dead people, isn't it?
<quoted text>
Uhhh, tree of life? Again, dead people. This guy sounds like a real jerk.
<quoted text>
I do that now.
<quoted text>
What nations? There are different nations in heaven?
<quoted text>
I don't think he's heard me talk.
<quoted text>
Servents? You mean I could go to heaven and be a fuckingservent?
Ooops. There's that cursing thing.
<quoted text>
Like this?
http://www.tattoobite.com/tattoos/forehead-ta...
For ever and ever.
Well, we know of at least one river in Heaven. Perhaps there’s more. Is a river just a river? Not if you include the thousands of tributaries associated with a river. And lets not forget the waterfalls that will flow from one level of heaven to the other,(100 mile drop).

But one river can do a lot. For example the Mississippi River is the main river for the vast drainage system in North America.

The Mississippi River is the chief river of the largest drainage system in North America. Flowing entirely in the United States (though its drainage basin reaches into Canada), it rises in northern Minnesota and meanders slowly southwards for 2,340 miles (3,770 km)[4] to the Mississippi River Delta at the Gulf of Mexico.

With its many tributaries, the Mississippi's watershed drains all or parts of 31 US states and 2 Canadian provinces between the Rocky and Appalachian Mountains. The Mississippi ranks as the fourth longest and tenth largest river in the world. The river either borders or passes through the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Wiki

We would love for you to be there my darling. We have room for you. I would you would change your mind and go with us.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#227023 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You know, it's quite rude to tell a rational adult that their beliefs are "too silly". I hope you don't expect much of a response after a disparaging remark like that.
What rational adult?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#227024 Apr 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, we know of at least one river in Heaven. Perhaps there’s more. Is a river just a river? Not if you include the thousands of tributaries associated with a river. And lets not forget the waterfalls that will flow from one level of heaven to the other,(100 mile drop).

But one river can do a lot. For example the Mississippi River is the main river for the vast drainage system in North America.

The Mississippi River is the chief river of the largest drainage system in North America. Flowing entirely in the United States (though its drainage basin reaches into Canada), it rises in northern Minnesota and meanders slowly southwards for 2,340 miles (3,770 km)[4] to the Mississippi River Delta at the Gulf of Mexico.

With its many tributaries, the Mississippi's watershed drains all or parts of 31 US states and 2 Canadian provinces between the Rocky and Appalachian Mountains. The Mississippi ranks as the fourth longest and tenth largest river in the world. The river either borders or passes through the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Wiki

We would love for you to be there my darling. We have room for you. I would you would change your mind and go with us.
Will there be strip clubs?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227025 Apr 25, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I read it.
Verse 8 destroyed any chance of my admittance. Bummer.
What you fail to realize is that infantile rambling like this is what initially drove us away from religious belief. This is not going to bring us back to the flock...
Sip it like expensive wine?
Any fool who accepts this without question is probably knocking back a bottle of Boone's Farm in a brown paper bag while sitting on the curb...
We have astronomers that have recently observed a new heaven and new earth.

“Kepler 62e and 62f.”

Revelation 21

“And I saw a new heaven and a new earth:”

[tipping hat]

Location hidden

#227026 Apr 25, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize, good sir, I cannot tell if that's caribou or wapiti.
Cervus Canadensis. Wapiti.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227027 Apr 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:

What rational adult?
The kind that isn't retarded.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227028 Apr 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Will there be strip clubs?
The closest I can get to that is the bible talks about his people reining as Kings and Priest. Personally I don’t think that will be here on this earth but for the new earths.

The Kings in the Old Testament had multiple wives.

If you don't go you don't get to enjoy.

Location hidden

#227029 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
An influence is never a cause. An influence can have an effect on your character, personality, development or behavior but it is never the cause of your behavior.
Is a cause an influence?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#227030 Apr 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>The closest I can get to that is the bible talks about his people reining as Kings and Priest. Personally I don’t think that will be here on this earth but for the new earths.

The Kings in the Old Testament had multiple wives.

If you don't go you don't get to enjoy.
Bummer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min THE LONE WORKER 40,847
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 32 min Ian Cooper 11
www 1 hr www 1
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr ChristineM 16,428
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 2 hr thetruth 67
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 3 hr thetruth 278
A Universe from Nothing? 3 hr thetruth 101
More from around the web