Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#226568 Apr 23, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>You're not very bright, nor can you follow a simple conversation. You made a statement that every pregnancy put's the woman's health at risk, or something to that effect, yet you claim a design. Until modern medicine fixed this terrible "design", the rate of deaths of mother and child were astronomical. Your "designer" was a mass murderer of the unborn and the pregnant woman.
How you got anything to do with abortion out of that is perplexing. But, then again, there is no intelligence within you. If I were to design a life form, it certainly wouldn't have the inherent flaws so prevalent in nature. Prior to modern surgery, ectopic pregnancy usually resulted in the death of the mother and child. Even today, the child must be aborted in the case of such pregnancies. This is a glaring flaw that points to natural selection, not design.
The evolution of our large brains causes major complications in many pregnancies. Prior to C-sections, a head that was too large for the pelvic opening would result in the death of both mother and baby.
There are a host of things that point to natural selection but the complications of pregnancy are the most glaring. Your insults prove one thing, at least. You're a weak stick intellectually and morally.
"You might not ever know what caused an ectopic pregnancy. But you are higher risk if you have:

Use of an intrauterine device (IUD), a form of birth control, that is inserted at the time of conception

History of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
Sexually-transmitted diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea
Congenital abnormality (problem present at birth) of the fallopian tube
History of pelvic surgery (because scarring may block the fertilized egg from leaving the fallopian tube)
History of ectopic pregnancy
Unsuccessful tubal ligation (surgical sterilization) or tubal ligation reversal
Use of fertility drugs
Infertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization (IVF)"

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-ect...

Looks more like a behavioral and maintenance issue more than design.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#226569 Apr 23, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Do you seriously take pride in being this stupid?
Do you NOT know the difference between these two comments?
1.) Before it was discovered DNA did NOT exist.
2.) As far as science was CONCERNED DNA did not exist until it was discovered.
I have seen in many of your previous posts that comprehension was an insurmountable problem for you, so I do understand your confusion.. Dropping out of school was just not a good idea!!
No matter which way you decide to display your idiocy, it's still your idiocy.

As far as science is concerned, DNA has existed longer than life has existed. Anything's existence is not dependent on whether or not humans have discovered it.

To follow your idiotic reasoning, Antarctica didn't exist until it was discovered, time didn't exist until it was discovered, the sun's corona didn't exist until it was discovered and the ocean floor didn't exist until it was discovered, etc.

You're a fooking moron.

Westcliffe, CO

#226570 Apr 23, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence for a soul. The ubiquitousness of churches is testament to how successor they are as fraud farm money factories.
Which god? The one you believe in is the result of ego and cultural conditioning. There have been over 60,000 major religions tied to millions of gods documented in recorded history. Christianity alone has over 35,000 divisions. You readily reject the existence of all of those millions to pretend you have some unique answer, a divisiveness to call others heathens and claim your superiority.
What a twisted lot.
Tired of living is. Disillusionment and seeking to escape this physical world is. The latter is a biggie leading to substance abuse.

A machine makes do with what it has. It doesn't have broken dreams or ideas of what things should be interfering with its existence..

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#226571 Apr 23, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
All fauna dies. Sin's got nothing to do with it, dopey.
So does all flora.
I've never seen a Sinning Cedar, but there are Weeping Willows. I wonder what the willow knows that the cedar does not eh.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#226572 Apr 23, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>You're not very bright, nor can you follow a simple conversation. You made a statement that every pregnancy put's the woman's health at risk, or something to that effect, yet you claim a design. Until modern medicine fixed this terrible "design", the rate of deaths of mother and child were astronomical. Your "designer" was a mass murderer of the unborn and the pregnant woman.
How you got anything to do with abortion out of that is perplexing. But, then again, there is no intelligence within you. If I were to design a life form, it certainly wouldn't have the inherent flaws so prevalent in nature. Prior to modern surgery, ectopic pregnancy usually resulted in the death of the mother and child. Even today, the child must be aborted in the case of such pregnancies. This is a glaring flaw that points to natural selection, not design.
The evolution of our large brains causes major complications in many pregnancies. Prior to C-sections, a head that was too large for the pelvic opening would result in the death of both mother and baby.
There are a host of things that point to natural selection but the complications of pregnancy are the most glaring. Your insults prove one thing, at least. You're a weak stick intellectually and morally.
So I’m reading your post and you are making the claim someone is not very bright. Then I look at your pic, incredible.[shaking head]

There are over 7 billion people on the earth right now. I would say that is a pretty good track record for birthing.

Just how many natural human births have you witnessed?

And you are an expert?
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#226573 Apr 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as science is concerned, DNA has existed longer than life has existed. Anything's existence is not dependent on whether or not humans have discovered it.
To follow your idiotic reasoning, Antarctica didn't exist until it was discovered, time didn't exist until it was discovered, the sun's corona didn't exist until it was discovered and the ocean floor didn't exist until it was discovered, etc.
You're a fooking moron.
Just try a little bit harder, you're ALMOST there.

As Far a science was concerned, PRIOR to the early 1800's DNA did not exist. How could anyone KNOW about anything before it was discovered? Of course NOW science knows that DNA has already existed, but not prior to its discovery in the 1800's.

When Columbus set sail, did he KNOW that North America existed? He believed he was sailing to India, hence the name he gave to our native Americans. Even after landing here he still thought he was in India, he had NO IDEA that the America we now live in exited.

See how that works dopey!!!

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#226574 Apr 23, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tired of living is. Disillusionment and seeking to escape this physical world is. The latter is a biggie leading to substance abuse.
A machine makes do with what it has. It doesn't have broken dreams or ideas of what things should be interfering with its existence..
This tuna salad sandwich you posted has nothing to do with what I wrote. Meaninglessness and nothingness describes your posts perfectly.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#226575 Apr 23, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence for a soul. The ubiquitousness of churches is testament to how successor they are as fraud farm money factories.
Which god? The one you believe in is the result of ego and cultural conditioning. There have been over 60,000 major religions tied to millions of gods documented in recorded history. Christianity alone has over 35,000 divisions. You readily reject the existence of all of those millions to pretend you have some unique answer, a divisiveness to call others heathens and claim your superiority.
What a twisted lot.
Oh there evidence.

You have to be willing to take the ride to the other side. It will only take .5 seconds.

But something tells me you don’t care that much about seeing the evidence. Because it’s a one way ride.

You want proof then take the ride.

Westcliffe, CO

#226576 Apr 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a fooking moron.
Loony suffers from an occupational hazard. He has been blowing his own horn for so long harmonic distortion disrupted the original molecular structure of his brain cells. They turned to mush and follow what he blows. He kinda doesn't exist unless he is spewing forth.

There are examples of the effect on the net where they form patterns using sound waves..

Westcliffe, CO

#226577 Apr 23, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Just try a little bit harder, you're ALMOST there.
As Far a science was concerned, PRIOR to the early 1800's DNA did not exist. How could anyone KNOW about anything before it was discovered? Of course NOW science knows that DNA has already existed, but not prior to its discovery in the 1800's.
When Columbus set sail, did he KNOW that North America existed? He believed he was sailing to India, hence the name he gave to our native Americans. Even after landing here he still thought he was in India, he had NO IDEA that the America we now live in exited.
Which came first, existence or the science studying it?

Religions started out as studies of existence.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#226578 Apr 23, 2014
Imagine my joy when driving through New Jersey this past weekend I saw a FOR SALE sign in front of a Church. No soon had I stopped laughing my ass off then in the next town I saw yet another Church with a FOR SALE sign out front. It does seem as though people just may be getting smarter. One can only hope!!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#226579 Apr 23, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
So I've heard, oh wise one.

Apparently, oxygen didn't even exist until it was discovered.

Go figure...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#226580 Apr 23, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Loony suffers from an occupational hazard. He has been blowing his own horn for so long harmonic distortion disrupted the original molecular structure of his brain cells. They turned to mush and follow what he blows. He kinda doesn't exist unless he is spewing forth.
There are examples of the effect on the net where they form patterns using sound waves..
I think that's a mental image I need not see.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#226581 Apr 23, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So I’m reading your post and you are making the claim someone is not very bright. Then I look at your pic, incredible.[shaking head]
There are over 7 billion people on the earth right now. I would say that is a pretty good track record for birthing.
Just how many natural human births have you witnessed?
And you are an expert?
You certainly are obsessed with Batboy. I'm glad it's working.

As to the rest of your post, wow, just wow. Your reading comprehension and ability to respond to the matter are quite suspect. Yes, I am an expert. What part of modern medicine ameliorating gestational mortality confuses you? Bearing a child is still one of the most dangerous things a woman can do. It’s the sixth most common cause of death among women age 20 to 34 in the United States. In the United States today, about 15 women die in pregnancy or childbirth per 100,000 live births. That’s way too many, but a century ago it was more than 600 women per 100,000 births. In the 1600s and 1700s, the death rate was twice that. The further back you go, the worse it gets. This does not even take into account infant mortality. In the 17th Century, almost 40% of children died before their fifth birthday with the lion's share of those in childbirth. We are obviously a product of natural selection and not design.

Before the germ theory of disease, the biggest threat to the mother and baby was infection. No gods did anything to solve that problem but materialistic naturalism certainly did. What silly superstitions like god beliefs gave us during childbirth were things like it was widely believed that if a mother looked upon a "horrible spectre" or was startled by a loud noise her child would be disfigured. If a hare jumped in front of her, her child was in danger of suffering a harelip. There was also fear that if the mother looked at the moon, her child might become a lunatic or sleepwalker. A mother's ungratified longings, it was thought, could cause an abortion or leave a mark imprinted on her child's body. If you allow demons to haunt your mind in the place of rationalism, this is the kind of nonsense that develops.

Your mind. It's a terrible thing. You're wasting it.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#226582 Apr 23, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh there evidence.
You have to be willing to take the ride to the other side. It will only take .5 seconds.
But something tells me you don’t care that much about seeing the evidence. Because it’s a one way ride.
You want proof then take the ride.
NO, there is NO evidence. You simply don't know what evidence means. It may well be evidence to you, if so, your standards for evidence is so low as to be laughable.
Here:.........EVIDENCE, " Available body of facts." FACTS.........That which is indisputably the case.

Since you have NO FACTS concerning this soul thing, you therefore have NO evidence. Please don't confuse belief with factual evidence, it makes you look ---------(polite) Not very smart.

You may believe anything you like, but to get someone else to also believe it, you need more than just your opinion or belief, you need factual information. Saying you had a personal experience is evidence only to you, personal experience NEVER EVER counts as evidence.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#226583 Apr 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So I've heard, oh wise one.
Apparently, oxygen didn't even exist until it was discovered.
Go figure...
You have zero credibility, Easter Bunny.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#226584 Apr 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No matter which way you decide to display your idiocy, it's still your idiocy.

You're a fooking moron.
You STILL can't see the difference between what was written and the way you misrepresented it.

Your willful ignorance is legendary.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#226585 Apr 23, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Which came first, existence or the science studying it?
Religions started out as studies of existence.
No, they didn't. Religions started out as power grabs.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#226586 Apr 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No matter which way you decide to display your idiocy, it's still your idiocy.

You're a fooking moron.
Losing again?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#226587 Apr 23, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:

His skull is made of atomantium.

Nothing can penetrate it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Science 81,683
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 12 hr River Tam 33,031
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 23 hr Eagle 12 - 2,191
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web