Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#226432 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Take an ethics class sometime. Don't they still have community colleges in Riverside?
Riverside City College offers this course:

PHI-10 - Introduction to Philosophy 3 units

Prerequisite: None.
A survey and exploration of significant questions in the Western
philosophical tradition. Questions are drawn from the various
branches of philosophy: metaphysics, theory of knowledge, ethics,
aesthetics, political philosophy and/or philosophy of religion.

The Redneck will have to inquire whether the course is open to high school dropouts.

Fremont, CA

#226433 Apr 22, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You don't believe in the God of the Bible so you don't get blame God.
If you are trying to validate abortions because of miscarriages then that is akin to validating murder because people die naturally. A natural miscarriage does not validate an elective abortion which is really a last ditch effort at birth control. The best thing for a man to do is not get women pregnant out of wedlock. It is not in their best interest. The ancients knew that 4000 years ago. You know the ones you practically describe as sub human.
You oppose slavery really only as depicted in the Bible yet are pro abortion. Even late term? That is a peaceful coexistence of logical contradiction.
Yes, I am opposed to late term slavery.

“Keep calm and use logic.”

Since: Apr 14

Los Angeles, CA.

#226434 Apr 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverside City College offers this course:
PHI-10 - Introduction to Philosophy 3 units
Prerequisite: None.
A survey and exploration of significant questions in the Western
philosophical tradition. Questions are drawn from the various
branches of philosophy: metaphysics, theory of knowledge, ethics,
aesthetics, political philosophy and/or philosophy of religion.
The Redneck will have to inquire whether the course is open to high school dropouts.
Oh, snap! Shots fired!

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#226435 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you figure that? And BTW, you discredit yourself just fine. I'm just trying to show you how you do that. You don't seem very interested in changing your ways to heed what Jesus said either. Fake Christian.
ssssuuuuurre - i wanna take advice about what Jesus says and changing may ways from a dude who left christianity to 'marry' another dude!:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#226436 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So slavery was OK because of war and debt?
Wow.
Since we still have war and debt today, are you saying slavery should be reintroduced?
there was this gay dude running a sado site out of his home and recently got busted for keeping the dudes who responded to his 'services' as slaves in his torture chamber basement!

wsup wit dat?

Los Angeles, CA.

#226437 Apr 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam? It hardly qualifies in historical time or character to OT Law.
However you are avoiding the immoral abuse of women by atheists in the present time and your part, while castigating an ancient time that even Jews today don't practice, and certainly not Christians.
Smile.
Seriously, where most people have a brain, do you have a smile?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#226438 Apr 22, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Shhhhh...
Don't say god.
It's The Designer.
I don't care what he says.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#226439 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The awl through the ear was just a piercing, and it was only done if the slave decided to stay. In other words, the slave got to choose. In no other culture at the time was that even allowed.
Sure he decided to stay, the slave owner most likely held the slaves wife and children as hostages. "just a piercing" Do you know how big an awl can be? Any idea of the excruciating pain involved? And the humiliation of being "marked" and "PROPERTY?"

Keep trying to rationalize slavery, "In no other culture at that time was that even allowed." So that makes it OK???? WTF is wrong with you!!!!

Owning another human being was wrong 2000 years ago, its was wrong 100 years ago, its wrong NOW, and it will ALWAYS BE WRONG!!!!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#226440 Apr 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot parse divine intention.
I know. Which is why your previous comment claiming that miscarriages were outside of divine intention was laughably false. But thanks for owning up to that.

San Francisco

#226441 Apr 22, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> A natural miscarriage does not validate an elective abortion which is really a last ditch effort at birth control.
Tell that to a rape victim. Or a woman who's health was threatened by their pregnancy.

Not terribly compassionate for a Christian, are you?

San Francisco

#226442 Apr 22, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
You oppose slavery really only as depicted in the Bible yet are pro abortion. Even late term? That is a peaceful coexistence of logical contradiction.
I never said I condoned all late-term abortions, but what do you do when a woman's life is threatened late in her pregnancy? Don't you think that decision should be up to her and her doctor, and not you and I?

And why does your supposedly benevolent God allow such situations to occur in the first place?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#226445 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to a rape victim. Or a woman who's health was threatened by their pregnancy.
Every pregnant woman's health is threatened by their pregnancy. Every single one.

"Pregnancy" is an odd way to describe a human being.

Do you call yourself a "delivery"? Morons.

Los Angeles, CA.

#226446 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said I condoned all late-term abortions, but what do you do when a woman's life is threatened late in her pregnancy? Don't you think that decision should be up to her and her doctor, and not you and I?
And why does your supposedly benevolent God allow such situations to occur in the first place?
Seriously, this makes so much sense that I can't see how anyone could argue against it.
Well, validly argue against it anyway.

San Francisco

#226447 Apr 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Every pregnant woman's health is threatened by their pregnancy. Every single one.
If you are trying to appear stupid you are doing an excellent job.
Clearwater

United States

#226448 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? Wow. Yes it certainly is immoral to treat people as property. Much less condoning beating them to death.
Is it immoral to wish a religious group of people dead?
Clearwater

United States

#226449 Apr 22, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody with a slight amount of ethics knows how evil slavery was - and still is. Esp when you hear about some of the practices the slaves used to be subjected to!
Oh, but it's in the Bible.
The so called ethics on display here by people that often say 'no god needed' is something to see. How long before one wishes us dead (again) or equates Christians to a stain on society? The love and tolerance is awesome!
Clearwater

United States

#226450 Apr 22, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, snap! Shots fired!
Just a blank with that one. No worries.

San Francisco

#226451 Apr 22, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Is it immoral to wish a religious group of people dead?
Of course it is. Even if that group promotes a book which promotes slavery as a morally valid concept.

Fremont, CA

#226452 Apr 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what he says.
The Designer doesn't speak.

Except when he's mad as a hornet.

Since: Jul 08

Findlay, OH

#226453 Apr 22, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Subjectively. Topix theist stupidity knows no bounds.
number four wrote:
<quoted text>you're a FATSO too ..
Looks , like I won this debate too ..( smile)
More childish nonsense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Ronnie 35,104
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr Thinking 157
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 20,097
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Richardfs 14,940
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 9 hr emperorjohn 139
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 19 hr Amused 102
More from around the web