Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#225719 Apr 19, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling someone dim-witted and embarrassingly paranoid shows your rational and scholarly mindset?
Do you think the cheap thrill name calling makes you appear more intelligent?
Just to reassure you, it does. You are just blowing away everyone with your brilliant mind.
Are you the acting or former chairman of Mensa?
We have just never had anyone like you that’s so brilliant and modest.
To quoque is the weakest logical fallacy. Is that all you have? Pathetic. Bat Boy called. He's ready for that mandate you so desire.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225720 Apr 19, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Death leads to being dead, no judgement, just gone on to make way for the next generations, as nature has intended for millions of years. The only people who worry about a judgement are the Christians who wonder if they did just enough to get them through those pearly gates and to those golden streets and a mansion made just for them.
We are living creatures made the same way as all mammals on this planet. I haven't heard of anyone trying to save the soul of their dog, cat, pig, cattle or any other creature. We are no better than they are, but because of the unique structure of our brains, we think we are. We think we are so special that when we die, a magical creature is going to take us up to a place where we can live on forever.
Then there are those of us who recognize the truth and live our lives like it is the last life we have. Cause it is.
All true, except cats think they're pretty damn special, too.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225721 Apr 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Still hornery and correct in my observations.
:-)
And still only half right.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225722 Apr 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
My congratulations to your puppeteer. His choice of avatar for you is spot on.
I thank your puppeteer, as well. He picked a much more attractive and intelligent specimen to represent you.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#225723 Apr 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Then you do concede Romans had rights to own slaves, to rape and kill their slaves at will because those Romans who were in control at that time determined it was best for their society. Even though you personally disapprove, their position was and is equally as valid as yours since rights and liberties come from men and not God. Since you assume God does not exist then you also assume man is not accountable to God and can therefore treat his fellow man any way he likes if he can get away with it. Rapists can rape. Killers can kill and if they escape human justice or if human justice deems these things acceptable then so be it, since the fate of man is to return to nothingness.
The world was a different place when the Roman Empire existed. You are trying to rationalize the difference between society 2050 - 1000 years ago with modern times and it is just plain different. It was a barbaric world 2000 years ago. No I don't think it was the right moral reasons that caused the Romans to own slaves and having been so cruel.

What you are missing here is that in the ancient world and within their societies people believed some were better than others. The elite considered themselves the better and the lesser to be like cattle. This type thinking existed right up to the revolutions, when each country found that the poor were not the lesser, but in fact the greater number and the rising of the equality of man took place. The last front on this war for the equality is still happening, but it is women who fight and fought the last battles for justice in equality.

It is the people who made it different, and ended the thinking some of them were better, and a very long road down the path to equality. You explained it your self saying...

"Killers can kill and if they escape human justice "

You said it ..human justice. It exists and is what created equality for all people.
But then you go on to say...

"or if human justice deems these things acceptable"

Human justice never thought any of that acceptable, the elite considered it acceptable.
If you were to count votes of all people in all of the Roman Empire including slaves and the conquered empires you would find it wasn't acceptable then either.
What allowed it to exist, was the ability of cruel people to enforce policies that were unfair.
A broken will of the people to do anything about it and a well organized army under command of the elite. So you see it wasn't human justice that deemed it acceptable.
It was the elite's who deemed it acceptable. The morality of free people who thought it NOT acceptable eventually won over the elite mentality.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#225724 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>The Greeks outlawed homosexuality? You just talk right out of your stink hole, don't you.
And Italian and a Greek were discussing whose history was the superior one. The Greek exclaimed, "We have the Parthenon!"
The Italian retorted, "We have the Coliseum!"
The Greek exclaimed, "We invented Mathematics!"
The Italian yelled, "We had the great Roman Empire."
This continued on until finally the Greek, smugly stated what he knew would give him the last word, "The Greeks invented sex!"
And the Italian shot back, "Yes, but the Italians introduced it to women!"
Why don't you come back when you have at least one thing you understand or know?
...look...I don't really like posting to you , your profile picture really freaks me out ...!!

But , you've made my point for me , the Hellenists did away with the Classical ....

If you really believe Man created religion ....what did the homosexual do ...that , he is universally verboten ....EVERYWHERE ..!

Las Vegas, NV

#225725 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>How can you make such a claim? You are making things up, Christian, but, that's what you do, right?
I see you couldn't rise to the poster's challenge so you dodge and deflect, lie, and tilt at windmills. Why are you afraid to accept that poster's challenge?
...What's the point...??

Every attribute I give to God "IPSEC" will just use carefully mined Bible verses to dispute them ..

save God is judge and God is eternal ....but, those aren't His best qualities ...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#225726 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Rape:
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
That is not rape. If he has sex with her then she becomes his wife.
Beating:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Corporal punishment common in the ancient world for both slaves and non slaves. These things are optional. If the slave dies then punishment can be eye for eye, life for life. Totally different from Roman slavery where slaves could be killed with no consequences.
The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
Yeah, it's an ugly book. Look at what it has done to you.
Besides your avatar the only things ugly is your ignorance and your bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Down_Moses

"Go Down Moses" is an American Negro spiritual. It describes events in the Old Testament of the Bible, specifically Exodus 7:26: "And the Lord spoke unto Moses, go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, thus saith the Lord, Let my people go, that they may serve me", in which God commands Moses to demand the release of the Israelites from bondage in Egypt. The opening verse as published by the Jubilee Singers in 1872:

When Israel was in Egypt's land: Let my people go,
Oppress'd so hard they could not stand, Let my People go.

Go down, Moses,
Way down in Egypt's land,
Tell old Pharaoh,
Let my people go.

Location hidden

#225727 Apr 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The world was a different place when the Roman Empire existed.
If God does not exist now then God did not exist then.
You are trying to rationalize the difference between society 2050 - 1000 years ago with modern times and it is just plain different. It was a barbaric world 2000 years ago. No I don't think it was the right moral reasons that caused the Romans to own slaves and having been so cruel.
They had rights to run their country however they wanted and your opinion carries no real weight.
What you are missing here is that in the ancient world and within their societies people believed some were better than others.
So? What you are missing is they could think what they wanted and theirs are just as valid as yours. Even more so since they ran things the way they wanted. You just cannot deal with the natural consequences of your atheism.

Las Vegas, NV

#225728 Apr 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
I can't actually prove it , it's a priori knowledge ..

The beauty and order of creation

our conscience

every culture from when we first climbed down from the trees , believes in the supernatural

that a mere myth , could incite vitriol

they , sheer luck it would take to make life possible and so successful ..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225729 Apr 19, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..And , yet Christians do ..not...
False.

The statistics: the US is roughly 80%(or so) Genuine Christian™.

The US is also one of the largest abortion countries.

This means... what?

It **means** that **most** of the abortions in the US are done by Genuine Christians™.

I bet you $20 that you **know** at least **three** people who have had one-- they just did not tell **YOU** about it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225730 Apr 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If God does not exist now then God did not exist then.
Good!

You are **finally** getting it-- you'll be an atheist yet!

All you need is to let go of one more god...

... you are ALREADY an atheist with respect to Zeus, Thor, Imhotep and thousands of others.

In short?

You are 99.999% atheist already!

Progress!

Location hidden

#225731 Apr 19, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Death leads to being dead, no judgement, just gone on to make way for the next generations, as nature has intended for millions of years.
When judgement comes, and it will, then you will realize you are one of the biggest dumba#ses in the universe.

Las Vegas, NV

#225732 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>YOUR DISHONESTY IS PALPABLE. I guess you missed the parchment they have authenticated describing the zombie Jew's wife.
...I'm pointing out ....the fact...There are millions of highly educated parsons , why aren't they taking your word for it ...Hmmm....?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225733 Apr 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is not rape. If he has sex with her then she becomes his wife.
It is STILL rape, if the woman HAS NO CHOICE-- as was the example you referred to.

Your bible is FULL of such rapes-- culminating with the rape of the under-age girl-child, Mary, so she could begat the b8stard Jesus....

Las Vegas, NV

#225734 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>The majority of abortions performed and received in this country are by and to Christians.
Ah, anyone who doesn't agree with you is a heathen. I told you that you were dangerous. Thank you for confirming it.
...the majority of Americans ' are ' Christians ..

in China most abortions preformed and received are by and to Buddhists ...

.........see , how that works ...???

Location hidden

#225735 Apr 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
It is STILL rape, if the woman HAS NO CHOICE-- as was the example you referred to.
Your bible is FULL of such rapes-- culminating with the rape of the under-age girl-child, Mary, so she could begat the b8stard Jesus....
Yes, Mary was considered a harlot and Jesus a [email protected] by critics, then and now. If you are to charge explicit rape then you must provide explicit examples. You have not done so. I'm reading a book by Sarah Ruden about Paul.

How some early Christian women may have been prostitutes in order to survive and how celibacy may have been a viable alternative to arranged marriages for young Christian women. None of that would do anything for you since your mind is so poisoned by your hatred of Christianity and the Bible. Fact being any modern day slaver has nothing to fear from folks like you because you really don't give a rats as# about slavery in the first place.

Las Vegas, NV

#225736 Apr 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
False.
The statistics: the US is roughly 80%(or so) Genuine Christian™.
The US is also one of the largest abortion countries.
This means... what?
It **means** that **most** of the abortions in the US are done by Genuine Christians™.
I bet you $20 that you **know** at least **three** people who have had one-- they just did not tell **YOU** about it.
...Well , now that I'm acquainted w/ you ...I know I should verify , anything you post ..

turns out there's this little place called Asia ..where abortions are kinda the cool thing ..

Well , damn ..if they don't tell me about ..?!...fuck ..!?.....Well , a bets a bet , where do I send the money ..?

Las Vegas, NV

#225737 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>You are utterly ignorant about evolutionary science. Evolution is simply a change in alleles over time. It does not speak to origins. If only you clowns realized ignorance wasn't a virtue.
..whoa...What crawled up your ass and died ...?

I had a public education , you had no cause to berate me .....especially , when you understood what I was referring to ...

Unless , you're disagreeing that life on Earth began in the primordial ooze ..?

Las Vegas, NV

#225738 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Butler wasn't anti-military, he was against the obscene profit made by fat cats waging wars of convenience on the backs of our precious national resources, our youth. You decry others for not displaying critical thinking? Heh. What a maroon.
Other General and Admirals have also written about their experiences ...

but , from what I gleaned from "IPSEC" all warfare is a racket ...this , just isn't true ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min The Northener 51,456
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min scientia potentia... 24,647
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 1 hr Eagle 12 189
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 1 hr Eagle 12 1,653
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Eagle 12 11,403
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 22,105
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Eagle 12 5,792
More from around the web