Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255998 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#225674 Apr 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Explain why Jebus called god his father numb nut.
...At the time ...fathers were the providers of the family , so it makes perfect sense ...

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#225675 Apr 19, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not "suggesting" anything at all. I've stated that (some) non-God societies function quite well despite the lack of belief in a Christian deity. You apparently disagree. You further assert that I consider Christianity to be harmful or a joke, and that there is no reason to doubt that I believe that. Do you personally know my religious belief? Am I an atheist? Did somewhere I say Christianity is harmful, or a joke?
Dude, you might benefit from cutting back on projecting so much.
Apparently, you disagree with the fact that Australia, Iceland, Austria, The Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, France, The Czech Republic, Japan and China are highly functioning countries with high literacy rates, good healthcare systems, high academic achievement, relatively high to very high standard of living, low crime, etc. That does suggest that the belief a deity must be involved for a society to function well is at least suspect, and strongly indicative that it is not necessarily true.
And do you know how impossible it is to find a religious (Christian) website/source that will pony up facts that don't agree with their mission? Just how many of you - no, let's make it just you - will provide any information at all that some countries can get along quite nicely without a deity. IIMO, there are fewer dishonest non-Christians than there are dishonest Christians. To get to the truth, one must pull the wool from one's eyes and look to multiple sources; the sources that don't want you to do that are, too often, trying to keep something under wraps rather than have it bathed in brilliant light.
Unlike you, I am willing to look at a whole story, not just the one I can read through the narrow swath of a set of blinders which blurs everything except a single missive.
ROCCO SAYS: I am not responsible for your butchery to my post. It's obvious you don't like the facts I ponied up, so you try to dodge and veer down another alleyway. I do not accept responsibility for your unwillingness and/or inability to acknowledge legitimate claims. It's obvious you can't/won't acknowledge anything that isn't in lockstep with your personal beliefs, and especially your personal opinions. Personally, I don't do Alice in Wonderland.
And you can't resist the old standby cliche: "America. Love it or Leave It". How stale.
And just WTF did North Korea have to do with this discussion?
Give it a break. I suspect your halo has slipped down around your throat and is restricting your air supply.
So you are okay with Switzerland being a haven for international tax dodgers?

Or the racism rising across the countries in that area?

Or the self-focus these tiny countries embody?

“In democratic society each citizen is habitually busy with the contemplation of a very petty object, which is himself.”
&#8213; Alexis de Tocqueville
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#225676 Apr 19, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...uhmm..?..This isn't in the Bible ..?
earlier , before the crucifixion ...Jesus , quoted one of the prophets , saying something along those lines ...
PissElms 82:6
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are sons of the most High.

Location hidden

#225678 Apr 19, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Rational atheists say "we don't know."
Yet.
Except you do know God doesn't exist.

Gotta love those 'rational atheist' oxymorons...

I know scientists who assert that a universe being sparked out of a tiny particle that inflates at an astoundingly, mind boggling rate to create the mass we witness in the universe is not an accident.

Smile.

Location hidden

#225679 Apr 19, 2014
Oh, I forgot.

Even more astounding?

That an ancient book, you label as a fictional farce, declared that reality 5,000 years before 'rational atheist' oxymoron scientists did.

Smirk.

Las Vegas, NV

#225680 Apr 19, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Once again you are fact deficient. Have you ever heard of Marine Corps Major General Smedley Darlington Butler? During his 34-year career as a Marine, he participated in military actions in the Philippines, China, in Central America and the Caribbean during the Banana Wars, and France in World War I. By the end of his career, Butler had received 16 medals, five for heroism. He is one of 19 men to twice receive the Medal of Honor, one of three to be awarded both the Marine Corps Brevet Medal and the Medal of Honor, and the only Marine to be awarded the Brevet Medal and two Medals of Honor, all for separate actions.
In 1933, he exposed The Business Plot, a military coup to overthrow FDR and install a military dictator. He was a true patriot in every sense of the word. He wrote a book in 1935 that is easily available for free, online. "War is a Racket" is a scathing expose of the military industrial complex firmly ensconced from K Street to Wall Street.
http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisarac...
An excerpt:
WAR is a racket. It always has been.
It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.
A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes.
In the World War [I] a mere handful garnered the profits of the conflict. At least 21,000 new millionaires and billionaires were made in the United States during the World War. That many admitted their huge blood gains in their income tax returns. How many other war millionaires falsified their tax returns no one knows.
How many of these war millionaires shouldered a rifle? How many of them dug a trench? How many of them knew what it meant to go hungry in a rat-infested dug-out? How many of them spent sleepless, frightened nights, ducking shells and shrapnel and machine gun bullets? How many of them parried a bayonet thrust of an enemy? How many of them were wounded or killed in battle?
Out of war nations acquire additional territory, if they are victorious. They just take it. This newly acquired territory promptly is exploited by the few -- the selfsame few who wrung dollars out of blood in the war. The general public shoulders the bill.
And what is this bill?
This bill renders a horrible accounting. Newly placed gravestones. Mangled bodies. Shattered minds. Broken hearts and homes. Economic instability. Depression and all its attendant miseries. Back-breaking taxation for generations and generations.
For a great many years, as a soldier, I had a suspicion that war was a racket; not until I retired to civil life did I fully realize it. Now that I see the international war clouds gathering, as they are today, I must face it and speak out.
Tell Major General Smedley Darlington Butler that "the pig should be put to bed." You're like Riverside a Redneck. When you have a thought, just consider the opposite to be true.
...Not much of the critical thinker ....are you...??

I see a pattern , you heathens take solely the opinion of 'one' man ..and , make it your foundation ...

There are other fighting men in this world , and they too have written books ....and , surprise surprise surprise , not all of them are anti-military ...

Not , to besmirch Butler ...but , given his history ...the man most likely had ptsd ..

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#225681 Apr 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Aye.
Hey Rosa, love the pretty snake. It'd be funny if wasssshole actually did touch it.
LOLOL

I was going to put on a tiger snake, but that's a mouth far too deadly.

Las Vegas, NV

#225682 Apr 19, 2014
Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
PissElms 82:6
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are sons of the most High.
..yeah..Thank-you ..

The Jews were trying to kill Jesus , for claiming to be equal to God ...an' Jesus replies " WTF ?..it's written in the Torah .."

( I'm paraphrasing )

Las Vegas, NV

#225683 Apr 19, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>And yet you follow the biggest conspiracy evinced on man. The Booble. Go figure.
and , to ride on "KiMare's coattails ..

Cosmologists claim the Universe began in a fraction of a second ; the sacred Authors claim it began with a word ..

Evolutionists claim life began in the primordial ooze ; the sacred Authors claim we were fashioned from clay ..

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#225684 Apr 19, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A subject of the same "cheeky" crown.
<wink>
:-)))

“True Blue”

Sunburnt Country

#225685 Apr 19, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
lol! i've always liked you, Rosa; it's too bad that you're taking your prejudice against men on me:-(
i'd like to have a good 'talk' with your dad for the maladjustment, if there even was one in your life
Leave my father out of it. He was a better man than you'll ever be...

Las Vegas, NV

#225686 Apr 19, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Describe the exact nature of your god and I will handily disprove it. I have yet to have one theist respond to this challenge.
..You give yourself too much credit , you haven't caused one theist to reject religion in your entire life time ..

...and , now you believe you could do it in a mere handful of pixels ...

Should I laugh , or pity you ..?

Las Vegas, NV

#225687 Apr 19, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again it's safe to say that most atheist know more about your Bible than Christians including the apologists.
Repent from what ?
I wasn't born into sin nor were you.
How about that wife of JC?
Did he consummate his marriage and if so where is the brat?
No Forgery Evidence Seen in "Gospel of Jesus's Wife" Papyrus
Scientists find no evidence of fakery in an ancient papyrus scrap saying that Jesus had a wife.
The papyrus fragment is owned by an unnamed private collector, with bills of sale going back only to 1999.
Dan Vergano
National Geographic
PUBLISHED APRIL 10, 2014
Did Jesus have a wife? A controversial papyrus scrap making that suggestion dates to the eighth century A.D., assert a series of just-released scientific reports, which may point to earlier Christian beliefs.
Announced at a 2012 conference in Rome by the Harvard Divinity School's Karen King, the "Gospel of Jesus's Wife"—a scrap of papyrus with Coptic writing—contained some intriguing lines.(Related: "Jesus May Have Had a Wife, Ancient Text Suggests.")
The words "Jesus said to them, My wife ... she is able to be my disciple ..." are written on the center of the fragment. Initially dated by King to the fourth century, the message from the past resonated with ongoing debates about the role of women in Christianity, as well as echoing themes from Dan Brown's popular thriller, The Da Vinci Code.
The claim also attracted skepticism from religious scholars, who saw the fragment as a likely forgery.
But in the series of reports released by the Harvard Theological Review, various experts report analyses of the chemistry and ancient handwriting of the fragment.
They conclude that the fragment's ink is consistent with ancient inks and that its papyrus fibers date from the seventh to eighth centuries.
I wonder what he bought her for Valentine's Day?
A few extra communion wafers and a glass of wine?
I hope his wife was at least older than the nine-year-old Mohammed it picked up!
Oh my Heavens ....you're so stupid ...Being a man of the cloth , must be very lonely at times , If there were evidence Jesus took a spouse .....celibacy .... would , be abolished faster than you can put away a whole bag of Doritos ...( and , you're a fatso ...so , that's pretty dang fast ..)

Las Vegas, NV

#225688 Apr 19, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love the way you think that you speak for me – honey, do not imply, do not think, do not insinuate. It just makes you look foolish.
Nope I am saying as you should fully comprehend if you were not a few sandwiches short of a picnic that those 4 (FOUR) people I mentioned had religious upbringing.
A child’s education has lifelong effects on the individual, or do you not agree?
As for atheism being involved, Both Stalin and Hitler were christian to their death. Stalin may have strayed from his christian roots for a handful of years but that in no way made him atheists. As for Buddhism, can you imagine the sort of horror that turns a Buddhist into a murdering despot? Nope not atheism but years and years of mistreatment and abuse by the ruling Buddhist elite.
..A child's education has life long effects ...??...So , you still believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy ....

These Men rejected God for Atheism .....Hitler , used religion opportunistically ..

Las Vegas, NV

#225689 Apr 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go-- proof the ugly bible is supportive of abortions.
..And , yet Christians do ..not...

It may be , we just interpret the Holy Bible just a little bit different than you heathens .....it doesn't make you guys stupid or anything ..just ignorant .

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225690 Apr 19, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>LOLOL

I was going to put on a tiger snake, but that's a mouth far too deadly.
Aw but they're so pretty.

Las Vegas, NV

#225691 Apr 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull shit. Think again.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/02/wa...
..whoa..Not the best way to start my weekend ..." hail Satan '...that's terrifying ..!

Las Vegas, NV

#225692 Apr 19, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be doubtful about those things for which there is no evidence. You should not hold beliefs merely because they gratify your desires for afterlife or immortality.
If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss then why are you wearing a seat belt?
You display a persistent sense of inadequacy, a tendency to self diminishment; Booze is probably the only refuge left for you.
...A) wow..I feel I'm posting to f**king retards ...is , there a Atheist anywhere that is capable of reading a sentence , and actually understanding those words used therein ..??

for the umpteen time ....read carefully .." Death leads to judgement !!!" ...

whether or not that includes paradise or perdition ..it will be out of our hands ..

And , lastly "O G Kush" ....I have feelings ...you know ..
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#225693 Apr 19, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..yeah..Thank-you ..
The Jews were trying to kill Jesus , for claiming to be equal to God ...an' Jesus replies " WTF ?..it's written in the Torah .."
( I'm paraphrasing )
Does WTF stand for With True Faith?? LOL!!!

Las Vegas, NV

#225694 Apr 19, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pastor Rick Warrens son committed suicide this past week. He was a homosexual.
Seems like being hounded by your own family, specially by your father, was more than he could take.
..I understand , he was battling depression ..

homosexuality is a disease .....if , you people could only think critically ..

Every single ancient society outlawed it ...and , brutally repressed it ..Why , won't you people ask yourself .....why...?

A dip in population numbers...?...meh...I doubt ancient peoples would heap such brutality and repression on the homosexual if that were the only case ....I'm left to wonder , just how factual is the Sodom and Gomorrah fable ...

You Heathens and Liberals ....have nailed the coffin shut on western civilization , and the sad thing is , you will all be dead ; before you actually all the damage you have wrought ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 min thetruth 20,592
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 5 min thetruth 51
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 7 min thetruth 4,668
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min thetruth 16,116
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 11 min thetruth 245
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 40,636
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Mikko 3,759
More from around the web