Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254895 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#225643 Apr 18, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Not really. But i do note you also have comprehension problems. <quoted text> Correct on he latter. You also assert you believe most Christians are liars. While non Christians are more truthful. <quoted text> Repeating yourself. Have you packed your toothbrush for your extended trip to China?
<quoted text> What part of my previous post are you not understanding? What part of this sentence are you not understanding?
''Some countries can and have functioned without a Christian influence.''
<quoted text> Go to China.
<quoted text> You have no legit claims nor do you have any legit facts. Just accusations. <quoted text> Personal attacks against me by insinuating i am racist or a liar are not legit claims. Your off into absurdity. Do you even know how to use the quote feature here?
<quoted text> It is true. If you resent The United States then leave. Get out.
<quoted text> North Korea is one of them more honest non Christian countries. More progressive according to your reasoning because there are no Christian liars there. No Christian influence at all.
<quoted text> Don't have a halo and i breath just fine. Just more cheap shots because you cannot defend your positions or assertions.
When you use the same meanings for words that I use, maybe we'll make some progress.

When you can stop claiming I assert things that aren't so, maybe we'll make some progress.

When you can stop claiming what I say is tantamount to calling you a liar and a racist, maybe we'll make some progress.

When you understand that "many" does not mean "all", we'll make some progress.

When you stop making projections maybe we'll make some progress.

When you stop presuming one should leave the country because he has more diverse opinions and viewpoints than you, maybe we'll make some progress.

When you can show respect for another's beliefs, opinions and views instead of demeaning and belittling them, maybe we'll make some progress.

When you can understand that facts don't only inure to your side of an exchange, maybe we'll make some progress.

When..........there is no when. You can't deal with stationary goalposts. I don't chase them all over the globe.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#225644 Apr 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a street gang here in L.A. by the name of Insane Crips.
Is there a branch in SF?
Here in Connecticut, well here in one house in Connecticut, well here in one bedroom in Connecticut, we have something called an Insane Crop.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons... '_nine.JPG

Tell HL River says Hi !!!!

Location hidden

#225645 Apr 18, 2014
Oh well, it's better that nobody saw that anyway.

;-p
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225646 Apr 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we all have this memorized by now. No need to keep posting it...
i am only good in copy and paste. that's the only way i can participate.:)
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225647 Apr 18, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark 10: 17-29
"17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him.“Good teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered.“No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments:‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”
20 “Teacher,” he declared,“all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him.“One thing you lack,” he said.“Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples,“How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”
24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again,“Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
26 The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other,“Who then can be saved?”
27 Jesus looked at them and said,“With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”
28 Then Peter spoke up,“We have left everything to follow you!”
29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied,“no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”
Why don't Christians ever pay attention to that Bible they love to thump at others?
hi Wilderide :)

you are knowledgeable about the Bible ? but you are not a Christian ?

everything i have is only temporary. someday, i will leave all of them to my close relatives.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#225648 Apr 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in Connecticut, well here in one house in Connecticut, well here in one bedroom in Connecticut, we have something called an Insane Crop.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons... '_nine.JPG
Tell HL River says Hi !!!!
XXOO
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225649 Apr 18, 2014
Campbell wrote:
Thank Goodness the young in this country are catching onto the game religious folks promote their artificial scaffolding and crutch: Religion and the Christian church in particular has been responsible for more evil acts than any other entity in the world. Granted often the government and church were entwined in authoritarian efforts but no group has ever
withstood the trials of time better than those with the power. The crusades wiped out hundreds of thousands for simply
differing beliefs.
For more than a thousand years the church required infant baptism. When ordinary folks began to doubt that kind of
requirement and their attendance/donations began to falter the church made it optional. The scripture is still there but
is never mentioned in that way.
For many thousands of years the church conducted witch hunts and tortured and put to death a conservative estimate of
100,000 innocent young women because they had been accused of witchcraft. When the general population caught on to the
fact that there is no such thing as a witch the church backed away and shut up. The scripture is still there.
For thousands of years the church supported slavery, often accommodated it. When ordinary folks realized slavery is a
practice for which there is no justification...guess what? The church backed away and never mentions the numerous
scriptures in the bible which lend support to the practice.
Now the thing is hell itself. After millions of preachers preaching hundreds of millions of hell fire and brimstone
sermons and the very concept of eternal torture and misery for non believing individuals making mistakes while living
their lives has become extremely distasteful to the common man they are adamant in their insistance that it's all been
errors in translation and are now preaching that hell is merely the eternal separation of man from god. All the scripture
is still there but once again they have changed their position.
The church owns more real property in this world than any other entity except the governments. The Vatican City has a
building which covers blocks and is loaded with rare treasures and art works which conservatively are worth hundreds of
billions of dollars. All this while more than 900,000,000 humans are starving to death or suffering from the effects of
malnutrition. By default the starving are mostly children.
but why is it that Christianity is still the number one religion when it comes to followers, despite of what you have written above ?
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225650 Apr 18, 2014

Location hidden

#225652 Apr 19, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
but why is it that Christianity is still the number one religion when it comes to followers, despite of what you have written above ?
Do you know what tomorrow is?

It's Zombie Jesus Day !!!!

The dead will arise and influence all the Sauls of the World !!!!

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225653 Apr 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Nominal religion in Norway is mostly Evangelical Lutheran with 77% of the population belonging to the state Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_No...

What?
You didn't read it all did you?

<quoted text>
In modern times, Norway – like many European countries – has seen a great decline in religiosity, at least among non-immigrant Norwegian endemics,[citation needed] and most Norwegians are irreligious: atheism and agnosticism are the most common metaphysical views according to Zuckerman.

Also according to Zuckerman, the most recent Norwegian census shows Islam is the third-largest religion due to recent migration trends.[citation needed] Overall, Christian Orthodoxy is the fastest-growing religious tradition in Norway with a rate of 231.1% compared to Islam's 64.3% from 2000 to 2009.[3]

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2010,[4]

22% of Norwegian citizens responded that "they believe there is a God".
44% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force".
29% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force".
5% answered that they "do not know".
Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College estimates atheism rates in Norway as ranging from 31 to 72%, based on various studies.[5]
<quoted text>

Dumbass.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225654 Apr 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Christians will speak out.

The atheists who don't like it, will just have to deal with it.

God bless you.
Your god doesn't get to bless me, I'm not an ancient Israelite.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225655 Apr 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, yeaH?

Well, go to Norway (or Sweden, or Denmark) and talk to people.

You'll see how religious they are.

Not.
He didn't read all of it, here's the second half;

In modern times, Norway – like many European countries – has seen a great decline in religiosity, at least among non-immigrant Norwegian endemics,[citation needed] and most Norwegians are irreligious: atheism and agnosticism are the most common metaphysical views according to Zuckerman.

Also according to Zuckerman, the most recent Norwegian census shows Islam is the third-largest religion due to recent migration trends.[citation needed] Overall, Christian Orthodoxy is the fastest-growing religious tradition in Norway with a rate of 231.1% compared to Islam's 64.3% from 2000 to 2009.[3]

29% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force".
Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College estimates atheism rates in Norway as ranging from 31 to 72%, based on various studies.[5]

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225656 Apr 19, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Riverneck says, "I think, therefor I am." And then completely disappears.
Lol.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225657 Apr 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You'll excuse me for not taking your word for that.

As far as the divorce rate goes, you're correct. More Christians in this country seem to get divorced, why is that? I think it's because Christians get married more often (and sooner) than non-Christians, and they are entering marriage without knowing what they're getting into. They are not entering marriage with Jesus at their center. I did it, I got married to the wrong person and I was young, too young for marriage. God was not a part of that marriage, so it failed.

[QUOTE] Many Christians resist information dissemination on birth control and safe sex. Such information ameliorates these problems. "

I find it highly unlikely that you know what "many" Christians think, so I'm going to dismiss the previous as your ignorance and assumptions.

[QUOTE] Violent crime is actually down, except in places that have passed stand your ground laws. Florida had a wonderful drop in violent crime going until 2005 when stand your ground sent gun murders alarmingly through the roof. "

No, crime rate has been on the rise since the early 1960s. As I said earlier, the more America forgets about God, the worse we become.

[QUOTE] What was your SAT score? Your kids? SAT scores are down because the god botherers are ruining education, especially in the South. "

SAT scores are down in your secular schools. In Christian schools, they are always pretty high. Go figure.

[QUOTE] Let's look at two countries that have abandoned Christianity, the Netherlands and Norway. All those metrics you cited are not problems in those two countries. They enjoy freedoms and happiness that we don't. They have higher standards of living and don't have to worry about eating cat food when they get older. They take care of each other and don't worry about what a pie in the sky is doing. "

Norway has the official Church of Norway and over 75% of its population are religious. The Netherlands boasts about a 50% religious population. You can't honestly say that they have "abandoned Christianity".

[QUOTE] Since the Bible Belt has some of the worst societal metrics in the nation and since those countries that have abandoned your fantasies have some of the best, your "argument" is the most ridiculous, easily-refuted dreck I have encountered today.
How can a universal god be removed from things?"

You don't seem to know very much about the Bible Belt aside from what you read on atheist websites. I feel sorry for you.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225658 Apr 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>A person needs a passport to read about foreign countries? Huh....
No but you need to be able to read.

Get help.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225659 Apr 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There's over 5 million people in Norway. If you go there on vacation, you're going to go to select areas that you choose. The chances of you talking in detail with more than a dozen or two people is unlikely.

So go to Norway, talk to 10 people, then you will have a fair estimate of what all 5 million people think, right?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#225660 Apr 19, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The power of a King or the power of god was invested in the people.
Therefore unalienable rights became a proclamation of the people, written by the founding fathers. The rights are given to us by us, but if you believe they were bestowed by a creator then it is so. It doesn't mean there is a creator, it means no man can take these rights from you. Lest they be enemies of the Republic. Which is bound by the constitution,
AKA: We are a Constitutional Republic, and
We the people said these are our right's,
Specifically amendments cover life liberty and freedom , of religion , or from it and that no man may own another. Your Roman slave bull shit has no place in America. All of which are
crimes in our society , and yes there are men who uphold the constitution , who will take you to be tried in a court of law and put you in prison for trying to have slave, or use people as sex toys or murder them. This is not because a god created morals, it is because men created his morals and laws to prosecute those who violate them.
All this horse shit you are spewing is nonsense, and you can make it up as you go but it's still horse shit, you can try to ignore that but it will still be horse shit.
Then you do concede Romans had rights to own slaves, to rape and kill their slaves at will because those Romans who were in control at that time determined it was best for their society. Even though you personally disapprove, their position was and is equally as valid as yours since rights and liberties come from men and not God. Since you assume God does not exist then you also assume man is not accountable to God and can therefore treat his fellow man any way he likes if he can get away with it. Rapists can rape. Killers can kill and if they escape human justice or if human justice deems these things acceptable then so be it, since the fate of man is to return to nothingness.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#225661 Apr 19, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
When you stop presuming one should leave the country because he has more diverse opinions and viewpoints than you, maybe we'll make some progress.
Truth does not allow for diversity anymore than 1+1=2 allows for 1+1=5. Since the former is true then the latter is false.

Location hidden

#225662 Apr 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Then you do concede Romans had rights to own slaves, to rape and kill their slaves at will because those Romans who were in control at that time determined it was best for their society. Even though you personally disapprove, their position was and is equally as valid as yours since rights and liberties come from men and not God. Since you assume God does not exist then you also assume man is not accountable to God and can therefore treat his fellow man any way he likes if he can get away with it. Rapists can rape. Killers can kill and if they escape human justice or if human justice deems these things acceptable then so be it, since the fate of man is to return to nothingness.
That's how it works now.

That's how it worked then.

Rapists rape. Killers kill. If they can escape human justice, they will whether they're in Rome or not.

No gods required.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#225663 Apr 19, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>He Weird.
....ahhh, I just my own investigation into the ' code of hammurabi ' turns out , you are a liar ....

the 10 commandment never reach such draconianism .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 22 min Cheshire smile 50,932
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 11,320
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Cheshire smile 9,589
News Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 5 hr Richard 3,154
News Speaking for God 5 hr Patrick 549
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr READMORE 29,424
News Revered Artist Was an Atheist Who Rejected God.... 11 hr nanoanomaly 40
More from around the web