Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
216,341 - 216,360 of 225,708 Comments Last updated 31 min ago

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! being "ashamed" doesn't do anyone any good, unless it leads to repentence and then to consequent acceptance into the beloved family of God; which is my desire and goal for everyone:-)
If that is your goal then who do you continually push people away from it by your un-Christ-like behavior? You undermine your cause almost every time you post. Maybe it's because you are too lazy to do the things that Jesus calls on his followers to do. It's alot easier to call yourself a Christian than to actually be one.

Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

Matthew 7:15-20 "“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

You are a thornbush calling itself a grapevine. The only one you fool is yourself.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's better to have hope in an afterlife then to think you know that the second you die, your mind and memories just turn off like a broken radio.
Why? False hope is false.

So, an afterlife isn't a second life. Hookay, Sparky.

Widdle Wiverdancer is afwaid to die. Boo hoo.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Atheism is not hope. Atheism is a motivator.
Did atheism motivate Stalin?
I said not as a motivator but as a result. Nope, Stalin was motivated by greed, avarice, and totalitarian Christianity, you know, just like regular Christianity. You can't play your reindeer games with me, numbnutz. I haven't pickled my brain like you have.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, well if he is has a PhD AND wrote books then it must be true. LOL! You are such a sucker for the appeal to authority fallacy, aren't ya Buck?
But I do find the "exposing data to rigorous scientific standards" part intriguing. Please elaborate on that part. What was the result of the peer review process when his papers were published in scientific journals?
It's wasted on you. One doesn't get to be in the position I described by floating phony scientific theory.

You couldn't care less about whether research is scientific, rigorous, or has standards.

You care about whether it agrees with your superficial and ill-informed take on things.

I regret I brought it up.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I've totally noticed. If you don't want to answer me, I understand. No worries.
Man, you're dumb. He never stated he was ashamed. There is definitely nothing in your life that is not a delusion, Fwaidy Cat.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't believe in prior lives or future lives.
Even if my friend Bill says otherwise.
<quoted text>
When talking about past, present and future lives, we are talking about reincarnation. That's something I do not believe in.
So I don't know what you mean by I recanted my own words.
An after life is not a future life, in a different form, in a different place? WTF?
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, well if he is has a PhD AND wrote books then it must be true. LOL! You are such a sucker for the appeal to authority fallacy, aren't ya Buck?
But I do find the "exposing data to rigorous scientific standards" part intriguing. Please elaborate on that part. What was the result of the peer review process when his papers were published in scientific journals?
Nope, they weren't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the guy who believes in Intelligent Design, LOL!!!
I don't "believe in" Intelligent Design.

I am convinced the science of it has merits. There is ample proof to that effect.

You are not even bright enough to be a good scoffer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>I said not as a motivator but as a result. Nope, Stalin was motivated by greed, avarice, and totalitarian Christianity, you know, just like regular Christianity. You can't play your reindeer games with me, numbnutz. I haven't pickled my brain like you have.
Stalin was motivated by atheism. He murdered millions to achieve state atheism.

This is settled history.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The judgement is meant to remind us that we will have to answer for what we do in life. The judgment isn't for God, it's for us.
Look at how societies act without God, look at the cesspool of a place America has become without God prevalent in society. People that don't believe in God don't even consider eternal judgement so there's nothing to control their actions or curb their every whim.
America is safer than it has ever been. Crime is down. Well, gun murders spiked in FL after they passed the stand your ground laws, even as they were dropping precipitously.

How can a god be removed if it is everywhere? That is stupid, even for you. We have a country full of pious maniacs and lag behind the rest of the First World in most societal metrics, countries that are wholly secular in populace and practice. We have to have Invisible Dear Leader thrust into every corner of the conversation and you say that it's not prevalent in this society. The pious are the ones doing the things you decry while pointing the fingers elsewhere.

You're a delusional idiot.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's wasted on you. One doesn't get to be in the position I described by floating phony scientific theory.
You couldn't care less about whether research is scientific, rigorous, or has standards.
You care about whether it agrees with your superficial and ill-informed take on things.
I regret I brought it up.
Uh huh. You got nuthin again.

Believe in reincarnation if you want Buck. In fact, why not toss in astrology too? And feng shui.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, they weren't.
*affects look of shock and amazement*
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Declaration gives the underlying rationale for rights. They were said to derive from God.
That's why they formed the nation and wrote the Constitution.
Tough luck that you don't like that.
You're ignoring so much and rewriting history. Your god didn't make it into the laws. Tough luck that you don't like that.

Hey, were you taught about the debate where Adams called Jefferson a "howling atheist"?

Internet tough guy, you are a delusional idiot, too. You and RR are a symptom of some of the things that are wrong with America. Lies, damn lies, and Faux News.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is falsifiable. I said no such thing.
You prove my point. You know nothing about the subject.
You inadvertently admitted o me that it is not falsifiable. All you ever do is make ridiculous statements with no evidential backup. Your credibility is shot, like your sphincter must have been in prison.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is falsifiable. I said no such thing.
You prove my point. You know nothing about the subject.
Falsify it.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't "believe in" Intelligent Design.
I am convinced the science of it has merits. There is ample proof to that effect.
You are not even bright enough to be a good scoffer.
There is no proof, it's all an argument from ignorance. "This is too complex for anyone to figure out, therefore god". To me the most laughable part is the jump from deism to Christianity. Not that I'm saying you make that leap yourself, but your friends at the Discovery Institute do.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't propose that I was providing evidence.
I asked a question about the nature of evidence and objectivity.
Thanks for pointing out my failure to do something I didn't attempt to do.
Moron.
You're a child. You claimed to have evidence. I am challenging you to provide it. You can't so you won't. Look at your Tucker backpedal.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin was motivated by atheism. He murdered millions to achieve state atheism.
This is settled history.
Even if that were the case, how do you pin the blame on atheism then? Does atheism insist that religious people be executed? I must have missed that memo.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Who the hell is Tucker?
I never heard of him.
Boy, you look stupid, huh?
You know why you look stupid?
Because you are stupid.
Sure, you never heard of Tucker. Bwahahahahaha. You are a fool who tries to win by playing baby games. You never have one iota, one jot, or one tittle of relevant evidence for any of your ludicrous assertions.

Okay, so you blithely omitted the name of your vaunted reincarnation researcher so you could pull this nonsense. So, then it was his forebear, Stevenson. In any case, there is no credible evidence for reincarnation, no unbiased studies, no peer review, nada, nix, nothing.

If there were, you would be shouting it from the rooftops. There is no scam you won't believe. I can get you a good bridge in Brooklyn very cheaply or I can hook you up with a Nigerian looking to give away money. Bwahahahahaha.

I can beat you in a fair fight, an unfair fight, and an IQ test. You'd just rather make anonymous threats on the internet like some pusillanimous child. Here kitty, kitty. Come to Texas.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ok.
Did they let you out already, or is this the afternoon break?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 13 min Mikko 7
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 370
If Christianity were true... 1 hr CunningLinguist 156
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 3 hr inbred Genius 115
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 3 hr susanblange 293
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Thinking 417
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr I can read 21,464

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••