Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255520 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#225489 Apr 18, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
I'm a recovered alcoholic.
And I did it myself.
Why do you feel the need to lie about things like that. And you KNOW you're lying.
I'll tell you why. Because you know you're wrong.
..Well..! CONGRATULATIONS ...!!

I think this calls, for a beer ..?
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225490 Apr 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Another one of your inventions.
correct. an inventor is very bright.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#225491 Apr 18, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Spring break is fine. A fall break could be implemented too, and no more days would be missed - since holidays waste time anyway - as far time lost number wise for the kids. If there weren't holidays.
Summer vacation is a given anyway.
Summer vacation is not a given ... unless of course you are only familiar with government school systems.

Location hidden

#225492 Apr 18, 2014
wilderide wrote:

<quoted text>
Not good, reliable, object evidence though.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
As your assessment proves, you don't care about objectivity.
Good point and catch.

Location hidden

#225493 Apr 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Declaration gives the underlying rationale for rights. They were said to derive from God.
That's why they formed the nation and wrote the Constitution.
Tough luck that you don't like that.
The Declaration of Independence provides the underlying rationale for UNALIENABLE rights.
Those rights were said to be obvious to anyone, that the origin of those rights come from simply being born, or showing up here on Earth as a human from the Great Mystery.
The term "Great Mystery" is just that, as no human (to my knowledge) knows the true origin of man.
The founders, and more specifically the writers of the DOI, used words such as "created" and the phrase "endowed by their Creator" simply because that was a prevalent view of the Great Mystery at the time. They all did not agree on ONE definition of "God" so the word "Creator" (in my opinion) was used to allow for the differences in view of where man came from.
THE POINT:
Whether one holds that mankind came from "God" or that mankind arose from the primordial soup, the point of the origin of our unalienable rights remains constant. We get them from the laws of Nature Herself, which say that every entity has the innate and natural born right to defend their own life, the lives of their loved ones, and such things as the area or place needed, and the tools used to sustain their life and the lives of loved ones.

The founders did not form a nation because they thought man came from God either. They formed a nation to stabilize and strengthen their mutual positions as opponents of King George and all that his dictatorial monarchy stood for. As individuals they stood to be individually hanged. As fellow countrymen, they stood united, as individuals with common goals and needs.

Location hidden

#225494 Apr 18, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Tucker? Tucker is not a research scientist but a psychiatrist. A biased psychiatrist. He thinks descriptive statistics can prove or disprove things. The Strength of Case Scale is meaningless and measures nothing but coincidences. His studies are NOT scientific, NOT peer-reviewed, and NOT credible.
Is there any fraud or hoax you won't buy into? Hell, even your inflated self-importance is a scam.
Seems to me that Einstein's papers were "peer reviewed" and rejected for quite awhile, before the light in his papers crept into the closed minds of his "peers". His work was said to be "NOT scientific, NOT peer-reviewed, and NOT credible".
Seems to me that Einstein was laughed at by his "peers" because his approach to "science" and it's method was such that he saw the big picture before identifying the little pieces that made the big picture work. That was about 180 degrees out of how his "peers" thought at the time.
Einstein's "connection" to the upper country of the mind was such that he saw the whole and complete forest in his periods of epiphany, whilst his "peers" were looking at individual trees and wondering what they were all about and if they had a connection one with another.

Location hidden

#225495 Apr 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The judgement is meant to remind us that we will have to answer for what we do in life. The judgment isn't for God, it's for us.
Look at how societies act without God, look at the cesspool of a place America has become without God prevalent in society. People that don't believe in God don't even consider eternal judgement so there's nothing to control their actions or curb their every whim.
"there's nothing to control their actions or curb their every whim."

Oh, well then I guess all those written laws, lawyers, judges, and our prisons are figments of our collective imagination.
Got it.
<rolls eyes>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#225496 Apr 18, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>i have 3 college diplomas you f****ucktard !!!
Obviously not worth the paper they're printed on.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225497 Apr 18, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously not worth the paper they're printed on.
you have a small brain like a bat ? Aerobatty ? or a head full of air, and no brains ? Aero ?

Location hidden

#225498 Apr 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't believe in prior lives or future lives.
Even if my friend Bill says otherwise.
<quoted text>
When talking about past, present and future lives, we are talking about reincarnation. That's something I do not believe in.
So I don't know what you mean by I recanted my own words.
"We" are talking about concepts and ideas Redneck.
You are the one who tried to make a point recently about what constitutes a "life" if I recall correctly, and tried to define it in a very narrow way. You do it again here simply because you must control all definitions and change them at will so that you think you make sense.

If you have NO "life" after your earthly death, then you have no life sir. ANY "life" after an Earthly death is in fact a life son.
BTW, you may wish to visit a definition of "reincarnation" kid, and then show me how being alive in a "New Heaven and/or a New Earth" setting, falls outside the definition.

You are incorrect in your claim of no unconditional love too. If I feel like it later I may explain it to you.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225499 Apr 18, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if you would look at some statistics on irreligion, you will see the evidence that not having God prevalent in society does not cause societies to become cesspools; in fact, just the opposite seems to be true.
Three links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_by_co...
http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle...
http://www.cilalp.org/spip.php...
The Gallup analysts Steve Crabtree and Brett Pehlam say the level of religiosity is interconnected with the average standard of living. In rich countries with high literacy levels, low homicide rates, low poverty rates and so on, religion is not regarded as very important. In total all over the world 82 per cent of people consider religion important.
<<<<<<< <<<Just some facts without your personal bias, or mine>>>>>> >
I'm not talking about wealth or prosperity, I'm talking about family life. Specifically, American family life and how it's changed as religiosity in America slowly declines. In my opinion, the family structure in America has declined right along with it.

Teen pregnancies are up, sexually-transmitted diseases spread like wildfire, divorce rates are up, unmarried couples living together are up, unmarried couples having children are up, the number of single mothers is up, violent crime is up, the amount of abortions being done is up, drug abuse has become nearly uncontrollable.

Do you know what's gone down? SAT scores.

Go figure.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225500 Apr 18, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No heaven?! No hell?! No judgement day?!
You're actually the very first Christian I've ever heard say that
I didn't say that, so you still haven't heard it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225501 Apr 18, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying they are still good for teaching, but not what he thought they were teaching.
They are representative of what takes place, but not for the reasons he thought they were,
The changes are true, the reason and meaning is different than what he thought.
He also exaggerated, almost but not quite to biblical proportions.
Haeckel's embryo drawings are forgeries.

Doesn't it upset you that they are still printed in biology books and taught to our children today?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225502 Apr 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
America is a predominantly christian nation where most politicians are also christians. Yes, it is a cesspool.
Norway is not a christian nation and it is advanced and clean.
There's a few more countries that are not christian nations and are also better than countries made up of mostly christians.
Those non christian countries are excellent examples of human potential and the sooner christianity passes into the annals of history, the better.
Nominal religion in Norway is mostly Evangelical Lutheran with 77% of the population belonging to the state Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_No...

What?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225503 Apr 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
They most certainly are.
Atheists will speak out.
Homosexuals, bisexuals and transsexuals will speak out.
Children will speak out with much encouragement and support.
Witches will speak out.
Natives will speak out.
All over the world.
The christians who don't like it, will just have to "deal with it".
Christians will speak out.

The atheists who don't like it, will just have to deal with it.

God bless you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225504 Apr 18, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"there's nothing to control their actions or curb their every whim."
Oh, well then I guess all those written laws, lawyers, judges, and our prisons are figments of our collective imagination.
Got it.
<rolls eyes>
The laws of men don't stop men, do they?

When a person thinks that he has no eternal judgment coming, what's to stop them from doing what he wants? According to you atheists, we humans have a mere few decades of existence and nothing else.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225505 Apr 18, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"We" are talking about concepts and ideas Redneck.
You are the one who tried to make a point recently about what constitutes a "life" if I recall correctly, and tried to define it in a very narrow way. You do it again here simply because you must control all definitions and change them at will so that you think you make sense.
If you have NO "life" after your earthly death, then you have no life sir. ANY "life" after an Earthly death is in fact a life son.
BTW, you may wish to visit a definition of "reincarnation" kid, and then show me how being alive in a "New Heaven and/or a New Earth" setting, falls outside the definition.
You are incorrect in your claim of no unconditional love too. If I feel like it later I may explain it to you.
No.

An "afterlife" and "the next life" are completely different concepts.

Location hidden

#225506 Apr 18, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! being "ashamed" doesn't do anyone any good, unless it leads to repentence and then to consequent acceptance into the beloved family of God; which is my desire and goal for everyone:-)
I find it a little confusing and unsettling that your desire and goal is much different than God's. Show me where in any of the Biblical writings that God's desire is for everyone to be in " the beloved family of God."

He clearly says multiple times that his purpose for sending Jesus was not to unite everyone, but in fact to divide the sheep from the goats.
Correct?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#225507 Apr 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not talking about wealth or prosperity, I'm talking about family life. Specifically, American family life and how it's changed as religiosity in America slowly declines. In my opinion, the family structure in America has declined right along with it.
Teen pregnancies are up, sexually-transmitted diseases spread like wildfire, divorce rates are up, unmarried couples living together are up, unmarried couples having children are up, the number of single mothers is up, violent crime is up, the amount of abortions being done is up, drug abuse has become nearly uncontrollable.
Do you know what's gone down? SAT scores.
Go figure.
Dagnabit, it's that Satan guy's fault.

You know, the red horny feller with the pitchfork.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#225508 Apr 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nominal religion in Norway is mostly Evangelical Lutheran with 77% of the population belonging to the state Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_No...
What?
Oh, yeaH?

Well, go to Norway (or Sweden, or Denmark) and talk to people.

You'll see how religious they are.

Not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min thetruth 35,350
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 39 min thetruth 23,871
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 42 min thetruth 140
Reasoning with Insanity 45 min thetruth 66
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 52 min thetruth 37
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 59 min thetruth 20,128
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr thetruth 159
More from around the web