Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

ROCCO

Indio, CA

#225438 Apr 17, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Detroit is not in the toilet on account of too much religion.
http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/arminnava...
Determining the exact number of atheists in any part of the world is difficult, and all of the data collected on the topic represents only a "best guess" scenario derived by researchers. The only way to identify a person's religion is through polling, and polls have a few notorious weaknesses...Perhaps surprisingly, the majority of atheists in the world live in East Asia. China, Japan and North Korea all have a high percentage of atheist or irreligious people. The reasons for this are varied. One factor is the influence of communism, which has a positive correlation with atheism. Cultural factors also help to explain the number of atheists in these regions.
<quoted text> Far from facts or bias. The last sentence of your posted article has more to do with anti Catholic opinion than it does facts.
<quoted text>
Statements like those corrupt the whole and certainly makes your claim about facts as opposed to opinion or bias questionable. Seems you do not know the difference between facts and opinion.
What exactly does Detroit have to do with my post?

And yes, I do know the difference between facts and opinions; it would be helpful if you would use some facts to bolster your opinion.

It seems that you are trying to preempt my "opinion" with polls that contain some information that you don't like with your "opinion" that represents your "best guess". At least the sources I provided included some of the very same data that you are proposing - the effect of communism, and you seem to be suggesting that there is something inherently "dark" about Asians as well, while the northern European countries on the list didn't seem to elicit anything negative from you at all.

Sometimes in defending your beliefs you react with too much zeal and lose sight of everything but your singular purpose and belief.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#225439 Apr 17, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..I'm just going to disagree , right off the bat .....Irreligion , is much too nascent ..for , anybody to clam they have definitive answers ...
Scandinavia's whole model , is that they rely on others to protect them ....so, they have money to use internally ...
OK.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#225440 Apr 17, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..The number one reason you reject the existence of God ....is fear...you can't abide in knowing you are being held accountable for your actions ...
Oblivion is the cowards way out ...
Rejection of the non-evidential,is oblivion? That makes you on the road to oblivion for rejecting everything for which you have no evidence or belief. Are you really that stupid? Are you really throwing away sanity in this life for some alleged afterlife?

Like, this is not real life. You only get to have real life after you die. And even then, it’s only good if you passed the big test in this fake, temporary life.. Part of the test is that you have to tell everybody about the real life that dead people get, and if anybody disagrees with you, considering that they’re not really alive anyway, it’s perfectly okay to torment or even “kill” them.

Real life, and this testing phase that precedes it, is ruled by this big, powerful guy who is more important than anybody or anything you know. Nothing is more important than him. He and the things he says — passed on by this big special book and the people who interpret it for us — are more important than your health, more important than the life and death of your kids, more important than the love of your life, more important than democracy and justice and freedom, more important than the entire earth and all that it contains.

In fact, in the really near future, the big powerful guy is going to destroy the entire earth and all that it contains, every last puppy and baby and symphony and sunset. And that’s a good thing, because it will allow us and everybody we know to get on with our real lives, which are going to be much better than anything we have here.. Oh, and by the way, because you believe all this, you’re one of the Chosen Ones, and pretty much nothing you do to the bad, UnChosen ones is really all that bad. Oh, the insanity and inanity of it all.

"If Christ were here there is one thing He would not be. A Christian." - Samuel Clemens

“If the gospel isn't good news for everybody, then it isn't good news for anybody. And this is because the most powerful things happen when the church surrenders its desire to convert people and convince them to join. It is when the church gives itself away in radical acts of service and compassion, expecting nothing in return, that the way of Jesus is most vividly put on display. To do this, the church must stop thinking about everybody primarily in categories of in or out, saved or not, believer or nonbeliever.

Besides the fact that these terms are offensive to those who are the "un" and "non", they work against Jesus' teachings about how we are to treat each other. Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor, and our neighbor can be anybody. We are all created in the image of God, and we are all sacred, valuable creations of God. Everybody matters. To treat people differently based on who believes what is to fail to respect the image of God in everyone. As the book of James says, "God shows no favoritism." So we don't either.” &#8213; Rob Bell

Ah, silly Christians. So unlike your Christ. Your imaginary quasi-human zombie is more human than you.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225441 Apr 17, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
And yes, I do know the difference between facts and opinions; it would be helpful if you would use some facts to bolster your opinion.
It seems that you are trying to preempt my "opinion" with polls that contain some information that you don't like with your "opinion" that represents your "best guess". At least the sources I provided included some of the very same data that you are proposing - the effect of communism, and you seem to be suggesting that there is something inherently "dark" about Asians as well, while the northern European countries on the list didn't seem to elicit anything negative from you at all.
Sometimes in defending your beliefs you react with too much zeal and lose sight of everything but your singular purpose and belief.
And he claimed Japan was communist. Haha.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225442 Apr 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The money I buy groceries, gas and pretty much everything else has been taxed before I pay for those items, too.
Don't let facts interfere with his fantasy.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225443 Apr 17, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..don't be an idiot ..American military might has protected much of Asia and all of Western Europe ....and , they took advantage of that ...they, don't even have armies over there ...
You ' can't ' tax churches , isn't that double jeopardy ....The money I tithe , has already been taxed ...I'm not a drug dealer , I get a W-2 .
Why churches should be taxed:

Because it's unconstitutional. It will be obvious to rational people that exempting religious organizations from paying any taxes is a clear case of government "respecting an establishment of religion."

Because religious organizations are not accountable to the citizens who subsidize them. If churches engage in charitable work that benefits the community, do all citizens have an interest in supporting such endeavors with, say, various tax exemptions?

Because it is easily and routinely abused. Consider the proliferation of phony churches as a tax dodge. An IRS attorney cites a brothel "church," where sisterly love is offered to male parishioners in exchange for donations. In Hardenburgh, New York several years ago, 235 of the 239 property owners in that town were granted religious tax exemption because the properties of the owners were made branches of the mail-order "Universal Life Church." In Wisconsin, hotels, pay parking lots, farms, and communion wafer bakeries are among the church holdings that are tax exempt. Overall, at least $4.2 billion in tax-exempt religious property now exists in that state alone.

Because it costs you and me billions. We are not talking chump change here. Consider that for every tax dollar a religious organization does not pay, you and I pay it on its behalf. Many are among the wealthiest organizations in the world: by 1971, the amount of real and personal property owned by U.S. churches was approx.$110 billion. In New York City alone, the amount was $3 billion in 1989. A 1986 estimate showed religious income in that year of approx.$100 billion, or about five times the income of the five largest corporations in the U.S. All tax free.

Because the founders got it right. These thoughtful men were conscentious students of history, many of them witnessing firsthand the bloody devastation wrought wherever religion entangled itself with government on foreign shores - and our own. The founders saw that without a strict separation between religion and government, the same tragedy would inevitably be replayed here.

Because it is fundamentally unjust. Not all religious organizations enjoys tax breaks, only those our government deems legitimate. Is government in the business of deciding what is or is not a legitimate religion?

Because our country is not supposed to be a theocracy. It is not a new idea: tax exemption for religious organizations has been debated since the birth of our great nation. istorically, far from the accepted status quo, the subsidy of religious organizations via carte blanche tax exemptions has troubled patriots and conscientious religious citizens alike. Since our Consititution was written our nation has witnessed an overall upsurge in the deliberate mingling of government with religion, to the point that the two institutions at times have appeared nearly indistinguishable.

Because it makes no sense. To deny that tax exemption is a meaningful public subsidy is to put forth an absurd proposition: just consider what your personal financial picture would look like if you never paid any taxes. Yet it is exactly this type of ludicrous logic on which religious tax exemptions have been upheld time and again by our courts and congresses.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225444 Apr 17, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..don't be an idiot ..American military might has protected much of Asia and all of Western Europe ....and , they took advantage of that ...they, don't even have armies over there ...
You ' can't ' tax churches , isn't that double jeopardy ....The money I tithe , has already been taxed ...I'm not a drug dealer , I get a W-2 .
So, you're saying that American churches are just like the countries in Europe and Asia you are railing against. They get to benefit from all of us subsidizing police protection, fire departments, infrastructure, et al and they don't have to pay a stitch in tax for that support. To top it off, only about 2-3% of the money churches collect, in aggregate! goes to helping people. Yep, the good Lord helps those who help themselves and the churches sure are helping themselves to our money.

Since: Apr 14

Plano, TX

#225445 Apr 17, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Rejection of the non-evidential,is oblivion? That makes you on the road to oblivion for rejecting everything for which you have no evidence or belief. Are you really that stupid? Are you really throwing away sanity in this life for some alleged afterlife?

Like, this is not real life. You only get to have real life after you die. And even then, it’s only good if you passed the big test in this fake, temporary life.. Part of the test is that you have to tell everybody about the real life that dead people get, and if anybody disagrees with you, considering that they’re not really alive anyway, it’s perfectly okay to torment or even “kill” them.

Real life, and this testing phase that precedes it, is ruled by this big, powerful guy who is more important than anybody or anything you know. Nothing is more important than him. He and the things he says — passed on by this big special book and the people who interpret it for us — are more important than your health, more important than the life and death of your kids, more important than the love of your life, more important than democracy and justice and freedom, more important than the entire earth and all that it contains.

In fact, in the really near future, the big powerful guy is going to destroy the entire earth and all that it contains, every last puppy and baby and symphony and sunset. And that’s a good thing, because it will allow us and everybody we know to get on with our real lives, which are going to be much better than anything we have here.. Oh, and by the way, because you believe all this, you’re one of the Chosen Ones, and pretty much nothing you do to the bad, UnChosen ones is really all that bad. Oh, the insanity and inanity of it all.

"If Christ were here there is one thing He would not be. A Christian." - Samuel Clemens

“If the gospel isn't good news for everybody, then it isn't good news for anybody. And this is because the most powerful things happen when the church surrenders its desire to convert people and convince them to join. It is when the church gives itself away in radical acts of service and compassion, expecting nothing in return, that the way of Jesus is most vividly put on display. To do this, the church must stop thinking about everybody primarily in categories of in or out, saved or not, believer or nonbeliever.

Besides the fact that these terms are offensive to those who are the "un" and "non", they work against Jesus' teachings about how we are to treat each other. Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor, and our neighbor can be anybody. We are all created in the image of God, and we are all sacred, valuable creations of God. Everybody matters. To treat people differently based on who believes what is to fail to respect the image of God in everyone. As the book of James says, "God shows no favoritism." So we don't either.” &#8213; Rob Bell

Ah, silly Christians. So unlike your Christ. Your imaginary quasi-human zombie is more human than you.
VERY well said. You my friend should write a book.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#225446 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Where did he mention volunteers? My sister had a gynecologist try to get her to pray with him before a routine exam. Disgusting creatures, you Christians.

You keep making statements that "heathens" don't volunteer. Provide evidence of your assertion or shove it where your number two exits. Hey, there's some intelligent design for you. Put the playground next to the sewer. Divine Dear Invisible Sky Leader must have been a Texan. They built an unregulated fertilizer plant next to an elementary school and then were shocked, shocked I tell you, when it exploded. Idiots.
Ew

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Piscataway

#225447 Apr 17, 2014
SATX78154 wrote:
<quoted text>
VERY well said. You my friend should write a book.
Tanks.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#225448 Apr 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, this one is a christian as well.
well, he started it. he called me names before. if he only stfu, i would been very kind to him.

anyway, that was the last one. as long as he zip his mouth, i won't bother him too. ok ?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225449 Apr 17, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying Alcoholics Anonymous doesn't work?
Because you know that AA now has thoroughly non-religious programs for people in recovery, right? No mention of god at all...
I’m saying Atheism can't cure Alcoholism and Drug Dependency.

In fact Atheism can’t cure a cat or dog of flea infestation. And they, the cats and dogs are Atheist according to Atheist.

Atheism can’t cure anything, Nada.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225450 Apr 17, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Why churches should be taxed:
Because it's unconstitutional. It will be obvious to rational people that exempting religious organizations from paying any taxes is a clear case of government "respecting an establishment of religion."
Because religious organizations are not accountable to the citizens who subsidize them. If churches engage in charitable work that benefits the community, do all citizens have an interest in supporting such endeavors with, say, various tax exemptions?
Because it is easily and routinely abused. Consider the proliferation of phony churches as a tax dodge. An IRS attorney cites a brothel "church," where sisterly love is offered to male parishioners in exchange for donations. In Hardenburgh, New York several years ago, 235 of the 239 property owners in that town were granted religious tax exemption because the properties of the owners were made branches of the mail-order "Universal Life Church." In Wisconsin, hotels, pay parking lots, farms, and communion wafer bakeries are among the church holdings that are tax exempt. Overall, at least $4.2 billion in tax-exempt religious property now exists in that state alone.
Because it costs you and me billions. We are not talking chump change here. Consider that for every tax dollar a religious organization does not pay, you and I pay it on its behalf. Many are among the wealthiest organizations in the world: by 1971, the amount of real and personal property owned by U.S. churches was approx.$110 billion. In New York City alone, the amount was $3 billion in 1989. A 1986 estimate showed religious income in that year of approx.$100 billion, or about five times the income of the five largest corporations in the U.S. All tax free.
Because the founders got it right. These thoughtful men were conscentious students of history, many of them witnessing firsthand the bloody devastation wrought wherever religion entangled itself with government on foreign shores - and our own. The founders saw that without a strict separation between religion and government, the same tragedy would inevitably be replayed here.
Because it is fundamentally unjust. Not all religious organizations enjoys tax breaks, only those our government deems legitimate. Is government in the business of deciding what is or is not a legitimate religion?
Because our country is not supposed to be a theocracy. It is not a new idea: tax exemption for religious organizations has been debated since the birth of our great nation. istorically, far from the accepted status quo, the subsidy of religious organizations via carte blanche tax exemptions has troubled patriots and conscientious religious citizens alike. Since our Consititution was written our nation has witnessed an overall upsurge in the deliberate mingling of government with religion, to the point that the two institutions at times have appeared nearly indistinguishable.
Because it makes no sense. To deny that tax exemption is a meaningful public subsidy is to put forth an absurd proposition: just consider what your personal financial picture would look like if you never paid any taxes. Yet it is exactly this type of ludicrous logic on which religious tax exemptions have been upheld time and again by our courts and congresses.
Your comments remind me of a quote in the Movie “SpongeBob Squarepants.”

Plankton said in a dominating voice he was going to take over the entire world.

SpongeBob said simply,

“Good Luck with that.”
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225451 Apr 17, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Rejection of the non-evidential,is oblivion? That makes you on the road to oblivion for rejecting everything for which you have no evidence or belief. Are you really that stupid? Are you really throwing away sanity in this life for some alleged afterlife?
Nice pic, I sure would hate to be your dentist.

I just wonder when you dentist takes a look inside, if he can see any stalactites and stalagmites growing from the upper chamber of the cave. Then of course there’s always the question of bats hanging around in there. Scary.

[tipping hat]

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#225452 Apr 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice pic, I sure would hate to be your dentist.
I just wonder when you dentist takes a look inside, if he can see any stalactites and stalagmites growing from the upper chamber of the cave. Then of course there’s always the question of bats hanging around in there. Scary.
[tipping hat]
What does that have to do with the content of the post?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225453 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>My neighbor's wife is a babe, though. Idiot, those things predate your immoral Bible and are found in much superior codes, like Hammurabi. The bible even gets the Ethic of Reciprocity wrong. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is far inferior to do unto others as they would have you do unto them.
Catcher said he doesn’t follow the advice of the Bible.

He didn’t say anything about Mr. Hammurabi’s advice at the Salami & Specialty Cheese shop at the corner of Main Street and Dumbshet Avenue. Next time you are at Mr. Hammurabi’s store try to eviscerate the substitute for Calamari.

[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225454 Apr 17, 2014
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with the content of the post?
What does a garage door have to do with what's in the garage?

It's the opening to what's inside.

If I was his dentist I would have to refer him to a spelunking expert.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#225455 Apr 17, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV... . If you know the difference between facts and opinion then you did not demonstrate in that post. There were no facts. This is what you printed.

<<<<<< <<<Just some facts without your personal bias, or mine>>>>>> >
It seems that you are trying to preempt my "opinion"
You wrote facts. See above.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225456 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Declaration gives the underlying rationale for rights. They were said to derive from God.
That's why they formed the nation and wrote the Constitution.
Tough luck that you don't like that.
Thank you, then, for proving that Christians are nothing more than slave traders and immoral zealots who think that owning another human being is just and that the color of a man's skin, not the content of his character, is all that is needed to flush out your ridiculous, abjectly.

Since: Apr 14

Delhi, India

#225457 Apr 17, 2014
"ism" is always a dogmatic thought and humans need thought process that is above division of human society and dharma is only solution in that case

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 43 min Science 2,572
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 50 min Science 83,147
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web