Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225137 Apr 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>What? What utter nonsense. I have health. I have happiness. I have a family. I have a bright present and who knows what fate the future holds?
You're a strange cat. 24/7 on Topix. A smoker. And you claim to have health and happiness and a solid family structure and it's all because of Christianity.
Atheism doesn't teach anything. You've fallen for the second silliest propaganda your immoral dogma teaches. The first is the immoral dogma itself and the second is that anyone that doesn't swallow the exact same brand is a nihilist or evil or an enemy or deserves torture or deserves to perish or whatever nonsense you are afraid to reveal from your specific brand of Christianity, Inc.
Please tell me again how Christianity improves the breed, because, you're a weirdo.
Okay good, so you understand what hope it is.

What hope does atheism bring you?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#225138 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Pffft
I'm talking into my iPhone right now. Sometimes Siri mistakes words, there and their are pretty common. My only mistake is not proofreading well enough.
There, how's that for responsibility?
Typical for you.

Lame.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225139 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

You don't think Santa OR Christmas OR Valentine's Day should be promoted at public schools?

I got to ask, what holidays would you promote at a public school?
Anon wrote:
Groundhog Day...
EGADS!

You would teach superstition to our youth?!
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#225140 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You don't think Santa OR Christmas OR Valentine's Day should be promoted at public schools?
<quoted text>
EGADS!
You would teach superstition to our youth?!
Superstition?
Punxsutawney Phil is hard science...
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#225141 Apr 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
She was just a bootlegger's daughter.
But I loved her still.
Did you ever get a still photo of her?
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#225142 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what the non-smokers do on their bi-hourly break?
They go to the breakroom and eat.
Bunch of fatties.
All-inclusive doesn't work. Some didn't. Matter of fact, when I smoked the fattest people in the business were smoking with me.

I felt out of place.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#225143 Apr 16, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>In the same way that theism, polytheism, monotheism, pantheism, henotheism, or deism does. Which is none. None of those remove hope either.

Those terms refer to a category or concept.

A person's "hope", expectations or wishes depends on themselves.

Just look at the word, "theism". That word gives hope? How?

It's just the word used to represent the >concept< of the doctrine or belief in the existence of a god or gods. That word says nothing more or less about what theism implies or represents as a concept.

Theism. Polytheism. Pantheism. Atheism.

Those words simply denote a category. You are theist. Your personal religious belief makes you a Christian theist. Your religious belief - is what you base your expectations or, "hope" upon.

Atheism is no more a religion than theism, monotheism, or polytheism are religions.

So, atheism gives or removes hope no more than theism, monotheism, or polytheism gives or removes hope.
Noice.

Location hidden

#225144 Apr 16, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>"I've explained it to you, I've presented my case"

Prove it. Post a link to where you did that. Go ahead.
"You don't understand christianity! Waaaahhhh!"

- ar ar

There you go :-)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#225145 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
None of them.

Location hidden

#225146 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No, but you atheistfuckers are trying to replace Jesus with Santa.

[QUOTE] or want prayers to Santa be led by teachers in schools. "

No, but you atheistfuckers are perfectly fine with a Santa Claus play at a public school, but not a Christmas play.

[QUOTE] People who believe in Santa don't have a book they claim was inspired by Santa, that says people who don't believe Santa exists are abominations or that if you don't follow the rules in Santa's book, that you'll burn forever in "the pit of holly", or other such bizarre notions.
If there were, I'd speak out about Santaianity too."

You don't speak out against Santa because you like seeing him instead of Jesus at Christmas time. Don't you lie, admit it.
*he's a gettin' cranky*

I think Santa represents your cult rather nicely.

Dollars and kiddy fiddling.

Y'all obviously don't give a damn about your alleged jesus gawd anyhow.

Location hidden

#225147 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Then why won't you answer me about Matthew 6:6?

You're perfectly willing to take the words "go to your room, and close the door" as 100% literal.

What about the people with no rooms and no doors? What, no prayer for them? Does that make any sense at all?

And why are you willing to take those words as 100% literal but not "don't be like the hypocrites"?
They pray. Themselves. IF they want to.

You praying for another does nothing but inflate your own ego and make you feel like you've done something, when in fact, talking to yourself as a way to "help", is exactly the same as doing nothing at all.

Your alleged jesus! gawd was very clear on the subject of prayer; it is a private matter between each individual and their gawd.

It's not meant for showing off in public or to give "kudos" to your deity. Thanking your alleged gawd is a matter of having a grateful heart, not a matter of appearing pious.

You revolting, religious hypocrite.

Location hidden

#225148 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You'll understand that I don't take your word for it.
It's in the bible. You don't have to take my word. Read the damned thing yourself.

Or continue to make a mockery of your religion, it's funny and useful.

Location hidden

#225149 Apr 16, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>Smokers (cigarette) need breaks more frequently than non-smokers.

(Courtesy of a former smoker, circa 2009. Big 5 coming up in July.)
Kudos!
Ar aR

Perris, CA

#225150 Apr 16, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
All-inclusive doesn't work. Some didn't. Matter of fact, when I smoked the fattest people in the business were smoking with me.
I felt out of place.
I've had a different experience.

I've had the fattie in the break room telling me how smoking is bad for you as she munches on her Big Mac.

Suffice it to say, the conversation didn't go her way......
Ar aR

Perris, CA

#225151 Apr 16, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
None of them.
Not even Washington's Birthday?!

Not even Spring Break?!

Dude...
Ar aR

Perris, CA

#225152 Apr 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
*he's a gettin' cranky*
I think Santa represents your cult rather nicely.
Dollars and kiddy fiddling.
Y'all obviously don't give a damn about your alleged jesus gawd anyhow.
Santa "fiddles" kids?
Ar aR

Perris, CA

#225153 Apr 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
They pray. Themselves. IF they want to.
You praying for another does nothing but inflate your own ego and make you feel like you've done something, when in fact, talking to yourself as a way to "help", is exactly the same as doing nothing at all.
Your alleged jesus! gawd was very clear on the subject of prayer; it is a private matter between each individual and their gawd.
It's not meant for showing off in public or to give "kudos" to your deity. Thanking your alleged gawd is a matter of having a grateful heart, not a matter of appearing pious.
You revolting, religious hypocrite.
And when the entire room, except for one pissy atheist, wants to thank God? I say; fuckyou atheist. Deal with it.

What about praying when you have no room and no doors? You avoided that.

Location hidden

#225154 Apr 16, 2014
Ar aR wrote:
<quoted text>And when the entire room, except for one pissy atheist, wants to thank God? I say; fuckyou atheist. Deal with it.

What about praying when you have no room and no doors? You avoided that.
Why would you all need to thank god out loud? To outdo each other? To make each other feel better about talking to yourselves?

Your attitude towards the atheist is directly against what your alleged jesus! god(?) supposedly taught, in more ways than one and it is also a common and expected christian attitude.

"Who cares about our god given free will, we will impose our will on others and they can just deal with it!"

- christians

You'll understand, of course, why we won't respect your religion. Ever.

I'll keep avoiding your irrelevantly inane question.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225155 Apr 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not "about" anything other than no belief in deities.
I know, you cannot grasp this simple concept.
One does not need any power other than their own, to help others and religion does not dictate morality.
On the whole, christianity and its branches, have done far more harm than good.
You got that right.

Alas, people like Eagle live in a delusional state.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225156 Apr 16, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize how many atheists donate to feeding and housing the homeless?
Whats the difference between a Christian funded food bank and any other food bank? I give to the local food bank all the time. Nobody asked me if I am Christian or atheist. So how are you going to keep up with what donations come from atheists? I have donated to the Christian outreach, Salvation army, Goodwill and the local animal shelter.. So you are just full of it.
. I am an atheist.
Did you not know? They put an invisible-ink stamp on all donations labeled with one's beliefs.

That's how they can tell which food to give to which needy-person.

... meh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr Mikko 475
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 hr Chimney1 18,851
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun Amused 25
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web