Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#225376 Apr 17, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wife stopped putting out, didn't she?
Wife? Waaasup is married? But how can that be when he makes sexual advances toward every women on every thread he posts on?
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#225377 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
This thread has gone to the dogs.
You possess the power to change that.
Return to your kennel.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#225378 Apr 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Wife? Waaasup is married? But how can that be when he makes sexual advances toward every women on every thread he posts on?
I have only tacit knowledge, derived only on what has been purported on this and other threads.

Perhaps when he's on the internet, he's a virtual horn dog faux-Christian polygamist?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225379 Apr 17, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if you would look at some statistics on irreligion, you will see the evidence that not having God prevalent in society does not cause societies to become cesspools; in fact, just the opposite seems to be true.
Three links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_by_co...
http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle...
http://www.cilalp.org/spip.php...
The Gallup analysts Steve Crabtree and Brett Pehlam say the level of religiosity is interconnected with the average standard of living. In rich countries with high literacy levels, low homicide rates, low poverty rates and so on, religion is not regarded as very important. In total all over the world 82 per cent of people consider religion important.
<<<<<<< <<<Just some facts without your personal bias, or mine>>>>>> >
I don't have time to answer this today, but I like where it's going. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Later mater

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#225380 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we've heard all this. But what about the fake drawings from Haeckel? Their still being published in biology books today.
http://www.google.com/imgres ...
Even though they've been debunked for a long, long time.
I'd say for shit like that, science doesn't require any evidence, it's just a popularity contest.
<quoted text>
So are Haeckel's drawings fakes or not? You're kind of saying they are both.
I'm saying they are still good for teaching, but not what he thought they were teaching.
They are representative of what takes place, but not for the reasons he thought they were,
The changes are true, the reason and meaning is different than what he thought.
He also exaggerated, almost but not quite to biblical proportions.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#225381 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That says nothing. Things are similar. Big deal.
It is a dig beal, if you are into micro biology, and can follow whaT IT REALLY MEANS.
Of course you will twist everything around.
Now you maY way to untwist yourself, and pull your head out your ass.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#225382 Apr 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I said.
Science is a method and system which searches for empirical evidence to prove or disprove a hypothesis.
The hypothesis comes first, not the evidence. If no "empirical" evidence is then found to support the hypothesis, then it simply means that no "empirical" evidence was found using THAT particular experiment. You appear to think that means science proved something does not exist, when all it really means is that one particular experiment failed to produce possible expected results.
When scientists set out to prove a particular hypothesis, they set up experiments using tools and other trappings designed to "find" empirical evidence that they can measure in a tangible way. If their tools and approach are incapable of producing any "empirical" evidence, does that mean there actually is no evidence ... or ... merely a lack of ability to perceive or capture "empirical" evidence because the tools and/or approach used were incapable of detecting it in a way that the scientists would accept as "real"?
Anyone who puts all their faith in a single system and method to find truth, and that single system has it's own flaws and inabilities, is someone who is missing out on all that their system misses and fails to "find".
Absolutely, but ranting about things undetectable in the 21st century is blatantly ignorant. If there there is evidence it can be found. Now I grant you there are limitations, but they are indeed small.
So for lack of evidence , it is to be ignored.
You cannot rail on forever, that something exists...that absolutely zero evidence exists to support.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#225383 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Come at you?

If I came at you, your ass would be whipped on less ground than it takes you to shit on.

I'm not an internet tough guy. I've done time for being what I claim to be.
Ooh a violent criminal, scary.

Wipe that drool.

Location hidden

#225384 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>The judgement is meant to remind us that we will have to answer for what we do in life. The judgment isn't for God, it's for us.

Look at how societies act without God, look at the cesspool of a place America has become without God prevalent in society. People that don't believe in God don't even consider eternal judgement so there's nothing to control their actions or curb their every whim.
America is a predominantly christian nation where most politicians are also christians. Yes, it is a cesspool.

Norway is not a christian nation and it is advanced and clean.

There's a few more countries that are not christian nations and are also better than countries made up of mostly christians.

Those non christian countries are excellent examples of human potential and the sooner christianity passes into the annals of history, the better.

Location hidden

#225385 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Why? False hope is false.

So, an afterlife isn't a second life. Hookay, Sparky.

Widdle Wiverdancer is afwaid to die. Boo hoo.
That's pretty much all it comes down to, the core reason for the human invention of gods.

Fear.

Location hidden

#225386 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You're ignoring so much and rewriting history. Your god didn't make it into the laws. Tough luck that you don't like that.

Hey, were you taught about the debate where Adams called Jefferson a "howling atheist"?

Internet tough guy, you are a delusional idiot, too. You and RR are a symptom of some of the things that are wrong with America. Lies, damn lies, and Faux News.
He just lies about everything, brags about what a tough violent criminal he is and drools a lot.

Just throw a couple of bananas at him as you go past.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#225388 Apr 17, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
http://www.cilalp.org/spip.php...
The Gallup analysts Steve Crabtree and Brett Pehlam say the level of religiosity is interconnected with the average standard of living. In rich countries with high literacy levels, low homicide rates, low poverty rates and so on, religion is not regarded as very important. In total all over the world 82 per cent of people consider religion important.
<<<<<<< <<<Just some facts without your personal bias, or mine>>>>>> >
Detroit is not in the toilet on account of too much religion.

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/arminnava...

Determining the exact number of atheists in any part of the world is difficult, and all of the data collected on the topic represents only a "best guess" scenario derived by researchers. The only way to identify a person's religion is through polling, and polls have a few notorious weaknesses...Perhaps surprisingly, the majority of atheists in the world live in East Asia. China, Japan and North Korea all have a high percentage of atheist or irreligious people. The reasons for this are varied. One factor is the influence of communism, which has a positive correlation with atheism. Cultural factors also help to explain the number of atheists in these regions.
Just some facts without your personal bias, or mine>>>
Far from facts or bias. The last sentence of your posted article has more to do with anti Catholic opinion than it does facts.
"If the sacked priest had been a holocaust-denier or a paedophile, he would still have his job."
Statements like those corrupt the whole and certainly makes your claim about facts as opposed to opinion or bias questionable. Seems you do not know the difference between facts and opinion.

Location hidden

#225389 Apr 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Or since he comes from the hills, "Reintarnation".

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
Lol.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#225390 Apr 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Wife? Waaasup is married? But how can that be when he makes sexual advances toward every women on every thread he posts on?
He's going to hell.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225392 Apr 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>He just lies about everything, brags about what a tough violent criminal he is and drools a lot.

Just throw a couple of bananas at him as you go past.
He should live bananas.

After all, they were designed for the human hand.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#225393 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>He should live bananas.

After all, they were designed for the human hand.
<love>
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225394 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no, despite your anecdote, AA has a success rate less than no program at all. Their documented 5 percent success rate is no thing more than spontaneous remission because some people will just stop attempting to kill themselves. An alcohol program that has a five percent success rate really then has a zero percent success rate.
When one of those people who is going to quit drinking anyway, or who did already just quit, walks into an A.A. meeting, A.A. is happy to take all of the credit for that success story, while disavowing any responsibility for all of those other people who walk in, are disgusted by what they see, and walk right back out, and relapse. That is grossly dishonest.
On their own
"There is a high rate of recovery among alcoholics and addicts, treated and untreated. According to one estimate, heroin addicts break the habit in an average of 11 years. Another estimate is that at least 50% of alcoholics eventually free themselves although only 10% are ever treated. One recent study found that 80% of all alcoholics who recover for a year or more do so on their own, some after being unsuccessfully treated. When a group of these self-treated alcoholics was interviewed, 57% said they simply decided that alcohol was bad for them. Twenty-nine percent said health problems, frightening experiences, accidents, or blackouts persuaded them to quit. Others used such phrases as "Things were building up" or "I was sick and tired of it." Support from a husband or wife was important in sustaining the resolution."
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction — Part III, The Harvard Mental Health Letter, Volume 12, Number 4, October 1995, page 3.
(See Aug.(Part I), Sept.(Part II), Oct. 1995 (Part III).)
Many AA members are confusing causation with correlation, or causation with coincidence. They fail to see that they go to AA meetings because they want to quit drinking, not that they want to quit drinking because they go to AA meetings. And the reason that they finally quit drinking is because they really want to quit — want it so strongly that they finally really do it. And the commonest reason for quitting is because people just get sick and tired of being sick and tired, and wish to avoid death.
A recent review by the Cochrane Library, a health-care research group, of studies on alcohol treatment conducted between 1966 and 2005 states its results plainly:
"No experimental studies unequivocally demonstrated the effectiveness of AA or TSF [12-step facilitation] approaches for reducing alcohol dependence or problems."
We're addicted to rehab. It doesn't even work., By Bankole A. Johnson, The Washington Post, Sunday, August 8, 2010
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...
What is the success rate of Alcoholic Recovery when Atheism is accepted or applied?

Answer: Atheism has a zero success rate.

Location hidden

#225395 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>He's going to hell.
Nuh uh. We're not taking him.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225396 Apr 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would someone else be ashamed of being gay? I suppose that various people who are ashamed of their sexuality might have many reasons, rational or not. Why?
Gayism and Atheism, hmmmmm, it must be the “ism.”
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225397 Apr 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't follow the advice of the Bible.
You don’t? None?

Honor your father and mother?

“Thy shalt not kill.” Bad advise eh?

How about “Bearing false witness?”

Let’s see,“Thy shalt not steal?”

Others?

“Do violence to no man?”

Rescue Animals?

You don’t believe in animal rescue?

Luke 15: 1-7

All of these are advised my friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 44 min yehoshooah adam 4,328
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min 15th Dalai Lama 77,084
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr brenda6 899
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr John 32,291
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... 16 hr Roec 1
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... (Dec '16) Tue Frindly 291
More from around the web