Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255520 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#225265 Apr 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. So you now recant your words concerning your own life after death and judgment day?
Ya know Redneck, I really do not give a rat's patoot what you believe, but it seems like a good idea to me to at least remain consistent in your claims. After all, it's your own life/lives with which you toy.
"As we live through thousands of dreams in our present life, so is our present life only one of many thousands of such lives which we enter from the other more real life and then return after death. Our life is but one of the dreams of that more real life, and so it is endlessly, until the very last one, the very real the life of God." - Leo Tolstoy

Location hidden

#225266 Apr 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. So you now recant your words concerning your own life after death and judgment day?
Ya know Redneck, I really do not give a rat's patoot what you believe, but it seems like a good idea to me to at least remain consistent in your claims. After all, it's your own life/lives with which you toy.
Most geniuses believe in reincarnation.

"I am in exact accord with the belief of Thomas Edison that spirit is immortal, that there is a continuing center of character in each personality. But I don’t know what spirit is, nor matter either. I suspect they are forms of the same thing. I never could see anything in this reputed antagonism between spirit and matter. To me this is the most beautiful, the most satisfactory from a scientific standpoint, the most logical theory of life. For thirty years I have leaned toward the theory of Reincarnation. It seems a most reasonable philosophy and explains many things."

-Henry Ford
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225267 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Come at you?
If I came at you, your ass would be whipped on less ground than it takes you to shit on.
I'm not an internet tough guy. I've done time for being what I claim to be.
Oooooooh, you're soooooo scawy, Internet tough guy. Bring it. I'll send you an address.

You're an idiot.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#225268 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you be ashamed to be gay? I don't get that.
Waaasup seems to think I should be.*shrugs* He is a bit messed up in the sexuality dept. if you haven't noticed. ;)
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225269 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh?
I asked you what hope atheism gives you.
You replied; "It brings me hope that people will abandon silly superstition and embrace reality."
Then I commented on how you're that atheist that admits atheist can be a motivator.
How am I reading that wrong?
Because that hope is not atheism as a motivator but as a result, knucklehead.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#225270 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Most geniuses believe in reincarnation.
I guess I'm the exception.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#225271 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And I have lots of evidence.
Not good, reliable, object evidence though.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#225272 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Current life?

Compared to what?
The better one you hope exists after you die.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225274 Apr 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
AA has worked for thousands for over the last 75 years. The reason for this kind of success is simple. It has saved countless lives.
My friend, the bits and pieces of your life experiences are coming together. I will not debase you for we are all members of the human race. My very own brother was a hopeless alcoholic. His wife died about 4 years ago from drug & alcohol addiction.
Mark, whom I have mentioned before was able to break free by the grace of God. His life was incredibly dysfunctional for over 20 years. Now he is dealing with the repercussions of his addiction by watching the dysfunction in his sons lives. They have not broken free.
I have my doubts a secular drug and alcohol treatment would have helped him. I don’t think it would have been powerful enough to have made a difference. When I say he was hopelessly addicted, I just can’t stress that enough. He has been living free and clean for over 6 years. Today he is a productive and law abiding member of our society.
Actually, no, despite your anecdote, AA has a success rate less than no program at all. Their documented 5 percent success rate is no thing more than spontaneous remission because some people will just stop attempting to kill themselves. An alcohol program that has a five percent success rate really then has a zero percent success rate.

When one of those people who is going to quit drinking anyway, or who did already just quit, walks into an A.A. meeting, A.A. is happy to take all of the credit for that success story, while disavowing any responsibility for all of those other people who walk in, are disgusted by what they see, and walk right back out, and relapse. That is grossly dishonest.

On their own

"There is a high rate of recovery among alcoholics and addicts, treated and untreated. According to one estimate, heroin addicts break the habit in an average of 11 years. Another estimate is that at least 50% of alcoholics eventually free themselves although only 10% are ever treated. One recent study found that 80% of all alcoholics who recover for a year or more do so on their own, some after being unsuccessfully treated. When a group of these self-treated alcoholics was interviewed, 57% said they simply decided that alcohol was bad for them. Twenty-nine percent said health problems, frightening experiences, accidents, or blackouts persuaded them to quit. Others used such phrases as "Things were building up" or "I was sick and tired of it." Support from a husband or wife was important in sustaining the resolution."

Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction — Part III, The Harvard Mental Health Letter, Volume 12, Number 4, October 1995, page 3.
(See Aug.(Part I), Sept.(Part II), Oct. 1995 (Part III).)

Many AA members are confusing causation with correlation, or causation with coincidence. They fail to see that they go to AA meetings because they want to quit drinking, not that they want to quit drinking because they go to AA meetings. And the reason that they finally quit drinking is because they really want to quit — want it so strongly that they finally really do it. And the commonest reason for quitting is because people just get sick and tired of being sick and tired, and wish to avoid death.

A recent review by the Cochrane Library, a health-care research group, of studies on alcohol treatment conducted between 1966 and 2005 states its results plainly:

"No experimental studies unequivocally demonstrated the effectiveness of AA or TSF [12-step facilitation] approaches for reducing alcohol dependence or problems."

We're addicted to rehab. It doesn't even work., By Bankole A. Johnson, The Washington Post, Sunday, August 8, 2010

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225275 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Current life?
Compared to what?
Compared to whatever crazy fantasy you have concocted where your ugly ego gets to continue.

Location hidden

#225276 Apr 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
As your assessment proves, you don't care about objectivity.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225277 Apr 17, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Once I was standing outside my place of business (almost out of sight of anyone), when I saw this rather large creature in very stylish clothes approaching the front door; She saw me and made a beeline over and commenced to tell me how bad smoking was for me - you know, the typical "browbeating with love and concern for my health" thingy. No matter how much I would say "yeah, yeah, I know, yada yada" she wouldn't relent. She (of course) was a former smoker - no more need be said.
This woman was probably about 5' tall with a 72"+ girth minimum, an easy 450 #'s if not more.
I finally couldn't take anymore, and told her I was happy that she had successfully quit smoking, but it looked like she had really just replaced one addiction with another. It's not my nature, generally, to be a jerk, but there are times..........
There are old smokers but, as a rule, there aren't many old fat people.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225278 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mistakingly assuming that God needs to judge us. Of course He doesn't need to, He already knows what we've done.
The judgment of God is designed to do a few things to us. It's designed to frighten us, to sober us, to humble us and to reassure us.
Your first statement said none of that was necessary.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225279 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it strange that you bother to keep track.
It illustrates further your dishonesty.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225280 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you be ashamed to be gay? I don't get that.
He stated he wasn't. You're so dumb you think a Mexican border pays rent.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225281 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The history I'm referring to is written in black ink on white parchment by the original authors.
Nice try.
But you're lying about it. The Declaration of Independence is not a code of t
Laws, The Constitution of the United States of America is. No gods in there. No masters. No lords. We The People. The People.

Gods? Nope. Religion? Can't create any laws establishing it. Everyone deserves equal protection. There shall be no religious test for office! Whoop. No gods. No lords. No masters. Written on vellum with iron gall ink.

Location hidden

#225282 Apr 17, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Would evidence derived from an M.D. at an American research university, 10 years as department head of psychiatry, 20 years as research professor, gathered over 40 years in 5 different countries, authoring 300 papers and 14 books on the subject, exposing data to rigorous scientific standards carry any weight at all?

Nah, probably not.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225283 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what ID is. You know less than zero about it. If you had never heard of the term, you would be more knowledgeable about it than you are now.
I know what it is. It has been proven in court what it is, and you, the pusillanimous internet tough guy have already admitted that it is not falsifiable, and therefore, as useless as your internet threats.

You're about as sharp as a pile of wet liver.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#225284 Apr 17, 2014
Ar aR wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even Washington's Birthday?!
Not even Spring Break?!
Dude...
Spring break is fine. A fall break could be implemented too, and no more days would be missed - since holidays waste time anyway - as far time lost number wise for the kids. If there weren't holidays.

Summer vacation is a given anyway.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225285 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
As your assessment proves, you don't care about objectivity.
Yet you have provided none.

Euripides summed up your response to Wilderide best: Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Your and RR's responses to any post can be summed up thusly:

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

&#8213; Bertrand Russell

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Ronnie 35,303
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 11 min Reason Personified 36
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 47 min hpcaban 14,950
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 20,127
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Patrick 4,485
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr NightSerf 3,714
News a€‹GORMAN: Science is a religion 10 hr hpcaban 2
More from around the web